Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Inceltown posted:

Good to see you lead by example.

I take being unfunny very seriously. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
you're in excellent company

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Duodecimal posted:

you're in excellent company

We try :ohdear:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If goons could stop being so funny in this thread that I think to myself "darn, I better quote these for the Funny Forums Quotes thread" only to realize I'm already here, that would be great.

just quote my posts, its okay no one will be offended

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mozi posted:

'teleport to the moon' is a good action to make in many situations

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

just quote my posts, its okay no one will be offended

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I take offense

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

I take offense

I fuckin KNEW they were lying, UGH

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

crazypeltast52 posted:

Plebians buying frivolous garum toast will never save up enough denarii to buy their first villas.
-A patrician

Midjack posted:

Ok Caesar.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

less plebs needed

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Werong Bustope posted:

I'm incredibly jealous, I'd love to see a live great white.

Slippery posted:

That's what they thought in Rhode Island too :(

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Does anyone remember the goon group phone calls from the 2000s

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The War Queer posted:

Does anyone remember the goon group phone calls from the 2000s

Nope. Neved happened. Whole forums were probated those years.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

tribbledirigible posted:

Nope. Neved happened. Whole forums were probated those years.

Can you elaborate? Before my time and I'd like to know more about our dignified heritage.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kirk posted:

Tech startup robs investors, customers

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/7/21000094/unicorn-electric-scooter-shut-down-refund-tile

The cost to refund customers? $700 x 350 = $245,000

Millionaire CEO Nick Evans: “oops sowwy I wobbed u of half a grand uwu”

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao they actually called it Unicorn c'mon.

kitten smoothie posted:

Give them some credit, "Fraud Guarantee" was already taken.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Blockhouse posted:

you're like what would happen if the decorum emote and a thesaurus hosed and had an eraserhead baby

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

that episode makes no god damned sense. it's a cute concept that falls apart if you think about for like two and a half seconds. one of the nice things about language is that you can describe concepts that have never before existed and everyone else can understand you because that's how words work. if i say "i'm going to put the washington monument in my grandmother's broom closet" people can immediately start to imagine what that might mean, even though it's nonsense that probably no one has ever spoken before. but if your language is only based on references to other things that have previously happened, how do you describe something new? oh, that's right, you make up a new phrase like "picard and dathon at el-adrel" to describe this circumstance. but how the gently caress does the entire rest of your culture know what that one means unless they were there? there's no other way to describe it, obviously, because otherwise you wouldn't have had to invent a new term! i find it completely absurd that a society without the ability to relate abstract concepts could ever progress to a basic industrial level, let alone become a spacefaring civilization.

LordSaturn posted:

if you were going to pick a thread in which to claim that it's impossible to imagine communication comprised solely of references to previous ideas or scenarios, why would it be this one

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that’s our sagebrush!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You missed a good followup;

Powered Descent posted:

Picard, his face in his hand.

:allears:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Hell Yeah posted:

it's 2019 and somehow i still give a gently caress about movie franchises from the 80s

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hey does anyone have that quote that's a goon making fun of cooking websites and it's like "after catching fireflies in Mason jars me, my dog and my dogs cousin sat down to eat"

I can't remember the exact phrasing of the dog's family but it was funny

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

TheKingofSpring posted:

Man gently caress off I’ve seen how you post in the Pokemon thread

This wasn't supposed to be funny, but man it might be one of my favorite posts of all time.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

mrpwase posted:

What's Lodine

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lodine these balls into your mouf hahaha

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Patrick Spens posted:

This wasn't supposed to be funny, but man it might be one of my favorite posts of all time.

Umm... what thread was this posted in, and why does it not exist anymore?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

I've always wondered if I'm basically ddosing the forums when I open one of those dead thread links.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Sam Faust posted:

It was the QCS thread on the latest FYAD drama.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

purple death ray posted:

Hey does anyone have that quote that's a goon making fun of cooking websites and it's like "after catching fireflies in Mason jars me, my dog and my dogs cousin sat down to eat"

I can't remember the exact phrasing of the dog's family but it was funny

It's actually from tumblr:

quote:

me: *googles how to mash potatoes*

some food blogger: My childhood home was full of wind and light. On a brisk Autumn evening, it often felt as if the outside was in. My younger sister, my mother, our favourite cousin, our dog, our other dog, our dog’s sister, and I would sit on the floor in the living room for hours, lit only by the moon and candlelight

me: *scrolls for several minutes*

some food blogger: It was at that moment, with my tiny hands clasped tightly around a mason jar filled with fireflies, that I realised the true value of family. My dog and my dog’s sister came and sat quietly at my feet. We stared up at the sky together, and I felt truly connected to both the Earth at my feet and the ancestors who shared the blood that ran through them, for the first time realising that

me: *scrolls for several minutes*

some food blogger: and when we finally made it home, our cheeks flushed with laughter and cold, there were warm mashed potatoes waiting for us. I will always remember their fluffiness, perfectly mirroring the light feeling I carried with me for the entire next week. This is my favourite cousin’s recipe from that very day, modified slightly to not be loving awful. Boil an potato and smush it up with fork and botter. NOT A RAW, Salt, pepepr. In it

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

cumshitter posted:

I have a special hatred for Cats because my extremely manipulative grandmother tricked me into going to it.

She called up my mother and told her that my uncle, who was kind of a crazy loner who grew his own pot and once drew a gun on his mailman, thought it would be really nice if he took us to Cats for his birthday. Then she called up my uncle and told him that me and my mother really wanted to take him to Cats for his birthday

We got to the intermission and we were all standing there in a triangle telling each other how much we liked Cats, only to realize that we all hated it and had been tricked. And that we were all idiots for falling for my grandma's extremely stupid lie. Then we just went and got some food and laughed about all the weirdo Cats cast members running through the audience.

Pick posted:

this is actually a step towards self-actualization. impressive. most people don't make it out of plato's cat humping cave so they get stuck ^^ as seen above

cumshitter posted:

Plato's cave is just you, bent over a table, watching the shadow of a cat loving an rear end and being so desensitized and unaware that you don't realize it's your rear end being hosed in the shadow.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thanks that's hilarious. Every time I read something funny my brain tells me a goon made it

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

With this knowledge, all the mysteries of the cosmos have been answered for me.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Leon Einstein posted:

Jewish people have Christmas tree traditions?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, they put up a little sign that reads "Arbeit Macht Tree"

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

wizzardstaff posted:

For reference the winning google search string was horror "short story" statue sleep pose -clown -russian -prince fingernail "pine cone".

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

Louis CK was a pioneer of WAD distribution

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If goons could stop being so funny in this thread that I think to myself "darn, I better quote these for the Funny Forums Quotes thread" only to realize I'm already here, that would be great.

:same:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dalael posted:

You're dumb, i bet you don't even know how that whole Atlantis started. And if you actually think that I think its real, then its clear proof that you have absolutely no loving clue what that whole thing was about. I'm bored at work so let me enlighten you:

A few years back, I knew of an actual real archeological site being dug in Bolivia. I wanted more details about it because the only info I had at the time, is that the guy who actually found the place is convinced that Atlantis is there. He, using satellite imagery and Plato's texts, found that spot. Where no one had dug before, and turns out there is actually something there. Do I think its Atlantis? No. But just like TROY was considered mythological for hundreds of years, and people laughed at everyone who looked for it, I consider that saying "A place isn't real" is sheer arrogance. If you actually read the texts, you'll understand there is absolutely nothing supernatural or far fetched about it. It would have been an ancient city just like any other. There's nothing in those texts to suggest aliens or some super advanced civilization. All that poo poo you probably think Atlantis to be, came from Hollywood and stupid movies which are a far cry from the actual texts.

Now I know Plato said a lot of bullshit, but I'm open minded in the sense that, were someone to bring forth actual evidence, I wouldn't simply dismiss it based on pre-conceived notions. But everyone went about with this idea that I actually believe its real, so I ran with it because why the gently caress not? And more importantly, the point I had been trying to make in the history thread, is that archeologists and scientists need to stop thinking they know with certainty about our past, because there's plenty of things that lies buried and/or are gone forever.

A great example is that before l'Anse aux Meadows was found, we knew for a certainty that Christopher Columbus was the first european to reach the new World. Well turns out, Vikings were there 500 years earlier. So claims of "X city doesn't exist" or "x historical event is fiction" is just plain old arrogance because these types of claim have often been found to be false. Real or not, a lot of important archeological discoveries were made by people looking for it, so regardless of what you think, its not a total waste of time.

PS: Also congrats on making me talk about that stupid subject again.

E: Oh and, I suck at spaceships

EE: Awesome thread title, please never change it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:munch: link?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Neo Rasa posted:

Me sowing: Haha gently caress yeah, this is great! Hell yeah, YESSSSS!!!!
Me reaping: What the hell, this fuckin' blows.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

That's a rewording of a fairly popular tweet

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=19

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EVE Online is a fantastic game to read about and a horrible game to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Halloween Jack posted:

Horse riding brings rich people into contact with people who shop at Tractor Supply. How could it not be insane?