Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's very problematic that this movie did not portray the white supremacists as the heroes of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Has anybody tried out that Nebula platform that a bunch of creators have set up? If so is it any good?

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Alaois posted:

it's very problematic that this movie did not portray the white supremacists as the heroes of the movie.
Seems more like "It's very problematic that the movie made white supremacists stand-in for new female filmmakers" or something like that Given that the OP's podcast link in the reply talking about how hosed manson and the fact the complaint was actually about how he should've been the main bad guy.

I haven't seen the movie but it still sounds like a stupid read.

bessantj posted:

Has anybody tried out that Nebula platform that a bunch of creators have set up? If so is it any good?

Yeah. Seems nascent and mostly reports from tube . There's a series on opening themes but nothing quite an killer app just yet IMHO.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 8, 2019

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

[pan to Asian American Woman’s face]

ASIAN AMERICAN WOMAN (V.O.)
the person next to me keeps staring right at me, Christ it’s making me uncomfortable.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I guess the new ride in star wars land is like a walking tour of a bunch of carousel of progress tableaus? It still looks pretty dope and Jenny’s monologue makes it a pretty good found-footage narrative:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1202848114287226880

It's not, but in a way they basically made the queue into an attraction all of its own, which I don't believe Theme Parks have really done to that scale and ambition before.

You start in the Rebel hideout, which is the most traditionally queue like portion until you get to the room with BB-8 and Rey's hologram. From there you're ushered into a waiting spaceshuttle with the animatronic Mon Calamari dude, it shakes about and you get more story as the room spins around to empty you out into the actual show building. From there you're pushed out into the Star Destroyer's hanger with the 50+ Stormtroopers while cast members dressed as Imperial Officers bark at you and organise you into separate groups that get shoved into holding cells, where a scene with Kylo Ren plays.

Then you're bust out of the cell and the real ride starts

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

SteelMentor posted:

Amazing things

aaaaaaaaaaa I need to go to the star wars laaaaaaaaannd

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that sounds dope as hell

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if you know the full story behind what happened in real life, it works better.

Oh I’m very aware of the Manson murders, I’m currently making my way through Chaos. That’s why it didn’t feel cathartic to me kinda? Like I’m not gonna say the family was just misunderstood or anything that stupid but it just rubbed me wrong

It just felt like Charles Manson himself was extremely downplayed and almost as if he didn’t even exist. Like plenty more people died. At least inglorious basterds had hitler himself being shot to pieces and not just some nazi foot soldiers.

e:

Alaois posted:

no but the fact that they were white supremacists is never touched on. In the movie their motivation for doing the killings is as a rebellion against Hollywood

watho fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 8, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

watho posted:

Oh I’m very aware of the Manson murders, I’m currently making my way through Chaos. That’s why it didn’t feel cathartic to me kinda? Like I’m not gonna say the family was just misunderstood or anything that stupid but it just rubbed me wrong

It just felt like Charles Manson himself was extremely downplayed and almost as if he didn’t even exist. Like plenty more people died. At least inglorious basterds had hitler himself being shot to pieces and not just some nazi foot soldiers.

e:

no but the fact that they were white supremacists is never touched on. In the movie their motivation for doing the killings is as a rebellion against Hollywood

I mean, right or wrong the movie does assume you know who they are and all, it's meant to juxtapose their 'yea let's rebel' stuff with the actual history of 'let's murder people so a race war can start'. It's meant to 'glamorize' them a bit as well by downplaying that, that's the core message of the movie, hollywood wipes away the good and bad to make a simple story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The funniest thing about the movie was every review going I'M NOT GONNA SPOIL THE ENDING made the ending super obvious if you'd already seen Inglorious Basterds.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
The Strange Story Behind The Evil Within"
https://youtu.be/jXHRdfLnktU
I'd never heard about the movie The Evil Within but had heard of grampa Getty being a heartless monster towards his kidnapped grandchild. Absolutely fascinating. The effects look cool as hell and I really like the premise. I'm 100% going to watch it later and get immensely disappointed.

Btw has anyone else experienced their YouTube recommendations being impossibly worse than usual? Full Pages of languages I've never typed, recs for beauty expose videos because I had watched Dan Olsons Book of Henry video and minecraft/toy stuff for children because I've watched true crime docs and (what the gently caress) Capturing The Friedmans.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 8, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The funniest thing about the movie was every review going I'M NOT GONNA SPOIL THE ENDING made the ending super obvious if you'd already seen Inglorious Basterds.

that was my issue with it. i knew it would end like that because if he is cool with killing hitler and friends, he is find with offing tex and susan and co. i did chuckle tex getting loving curbed after doing his stupid line. i will agree somewhat with the bruce lee scene, but i kinda take that with grain of salt of it taking place in flashback in Cliffs mind, so i feel like he probably fudged the details.

Rockit posted:

Seems more like "It's very problematic that the movie made white supremacists stand-in for new female filmmakers" or something like that Given that the OP's podcast link in the reply talking about how hosed manson and the fact the complaint was actually about how he should've been the main bad guy.

I haven't seen the movie but it still sounds like a stupid read.

i mean, those people irl gutted a heavly pregnant woman, so i am fine with their fictional depictions getting loving brutally killed. gently caress em and gently caress the stupid comic.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, right or wrong the movie does assume you know who they are and all, it's meant to juxtapose their 'yea let's rebel' stuff with the actual history of 'let's murder people so a race war can start'. It's meant to 'glamorize' them a bit as well by downplaying that, that's the core message of the movie, hollywood wipes away the good and bad to make a simple story.

Even within that though, provided the choice between brutally killing the girls Manson manipulated into his service, or brutally killing Charles Manson, widely considered among history’s greatest monsters? Going with the former feeling gross and worth pointing out seems like a pretty natural reaction. I can absolutely see finding Tarantino’s choice pretty suspect.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

CmdrKing posted:

Even within that though, provided the choice between brutally killing the girls Manson manipulated into his service, or brutally killing Charles Manson, widely considered among history’s greatest monsters? Going with the former feeling gross and worth pointing out seems like a pretty natural reaction. I can absolutely see finding Tarantino’s choice pretty suspect.

It doesn't look great when set alongside the Hateful Eight, honestly.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

god i loving hated hateful eight

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CmdrKing posted:

It was pointed out that Hollywood has a very odd relationship with Manson in that it's almost reverent. When he died, you'd see celebrities recounting their encounters (even if several times removed like, "I drove past the Spahn Ranch once") like they were Zacchaeus climbing the sycamore tree.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Does it really surprise anyone that people have very unhealthy fascinations with clearly disturbed, dangerous individuals? I feel as though that's something we all kind of quietly agreed on.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

watho posted:

After I finished watching it, my immediate thought was "How was this the same director who made Jackie Brown?"

And then, "Maybe I don't remember Jackie Brown as well as I think I do."

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Also to be clear, I liked the movie and I didn’t hate the ending. I just didn’t find it cathartic

Also I’m super glad that Maya Hawke bailed out at the end because her being brutally murdered would’ve been kinda weird with regards to her mother’s allegations

watho fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 8, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tarantino can be a good filmaker but boy do I not want to see his cool film about a real life murder getting flipped turned upsidedown.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Clerical Terrors posted:

Does it really surprise anyone that people have very unhealthy fascinations with clearly disturbed, dangerous individuals? I feel as though that's something we all kind of quietly agreed on.

no sadly. i listen to true crime podcasts/books and i mostly find the monsters pathetic sacks of poo poo.

Mr Phillby posted:

Tarantino can be a good filmaker but boy do I not want to see his cool film about a real life murder getting flipped turned upsidedown.

thats only the last like 10 min. most of the other stuff is just loving around and a dude trying to find himself.

watho posted:

i liked it enough but it works better as a mini series than a movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

watho posted:

Also to be clear, I liked the movie and I didn’t hate the ending. I just didn’t find it cathartic

Also I’m super glad that Maya Hawke bailed out at the end because her being brutally murdered would’ve been kinda weird with regards to her mother’s allegations

well she played the getaway driver and didnt do poo poo irl. as i said. i kinda liked the fake ending i heard before i saw the movie better. where they kidnap Sharon Tate and co and bruce lee had been tracking them and cliff and rich team up and fight the mansons family on the ranch with bruce lee and rich dies but feels fufilled rescuing tate and co.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Falstaff posted:

After I finished watching it, my immediate thought was "How was this the same director who made Jackie Brown?"

And then, "Maybe I don't remember Jackie Brown as well as I think I do."

Jackie Brown's his best movie. rip Robert Forster.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well she played the getaway driver and didnt do poo poo irl. as i said. i kinda liked the fake ending i heard before i saw the movie better. where they kidnap Sharon Tate and co and bruce lee had been tracking them and cliff and rich team up and fight the mansons family on the ranch with bruce lee and rich dies but feels fufilled rescuing tate and co.

I had the ending somewhat spoiled beforehand and because I’d seen basterds and mandy I just assumed it was gonna end with them going to Spahn Ranch and killing Charles Manson so I was a bit disappointed

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no sadly. i listen to true crime podcasts/books and i mostly find the monsters pathetic sacks of poo poo.

The biggest one for me with this is Dexter, I never got how people could keep insisting that he was a misunderstood good guy and not just a character written to titillate and with whom you would definitely not want to be friends if they were real.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 8, 2019

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I was a bit annoyed with the response from the likes of MatPatt and TerminalMontage and several other creators, so I'm kinda glad Legal Eagle has made a COPPA video yesterday. It's a bit ago, but it goes over everything in a clear sense, explains the exaggerated parts and the actual bad parts, and even if it's somewhat an advertisement for his crash course on copyright for creators, it only, only farts that out late and puts a plan of action that is far more coherent than shaking fists at Helen Lovejoy.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Exploiting fear and outrage over YouTube doing things badly is fast becoming it's own genre of YouTube video at this point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Fearmongering, but for millennials (firefox how can you say millennial is a word but not millennials)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Millennial is a nouned adjective, and you can't have plural adjectives.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

https://twitter.com/kevinmcgahern/status/1163472748057976835

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Generations aren’t real, except for boomer and not boomer. And the only war that matters is not boomer against boomer.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Clerical Terrors posted:

The biggest one for me with this is Dexter, I never got how people could keep insisting that he was a misunderstood good guy and not just a character written to titillate and who with whom you would definitely not want to be friends if they were real.
Yeah, I had this conversation with my parents about the show, which they really liked. "But he only kills people that deserve it!"

tangent: I remember when Law and Order SVU premiered they had a scene where they were analyzing splinters from a broom handle that had been removed from someone's anus (they had been forcibly sodomized), there was no way this wasn't intended to titillate and shock old people about pretend violence from a very safe distance, and then be reassured when the pretend bad guy was caught. Simultaneously confirm the notion that "the world is going to hell" and that everything's black and white, and anyway the bad guy just got caught, the system's gonna keep protecting me, so I can relax.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

SpiritualDeath posted:

I'm not going to look for Bob's supposedly supportive tweet but this appears to be the comic

https://twitter.com/stillvreni/status/1157018268294451200
I do remember seeing this before, but sexpig referred to the author as 'the weird racist lady animator', but I don't know if it's in reference to this comic, or something else they said.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Generations aren’t real, except for boomer and not boomer. And the only war that matters is not boomer against boomer.

I imagine there's gonna be an instance sometime soon where someone lectures a millennial, and they reply, 'okay boomer', only to feel stupid later when they find out that lecturer was actually born in 1967, meaning that they belong to Generation X. (I guess you could say, 'okay GenXer' instead, but GenXer sounds like some kind of sci-fi bio-research company.)

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, I had this conversation with my parents about the show, which they really liked. "But he only kills people that deserve it!"

All I know about Dexter is that the plot was that his dad (adoptive dad?) found out he was a serial killer, and got him to target other serial killers, and I thought, "Wasn't that the plot to Condemned: Criminal Origins?"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Max Wilco posted:

All I know about Dexter is that the plot was that his dad (adoptive dad?) found out he was a serial killer, and got him to target other serial killers, and I thought, "Wasn't that the plot to Condemned: Criminal Origins?"
You definitely know more than I do, but I strongly suspect (with no evidence) that the show started with "how can we make it so that people get off on seeing murders, but not feel that bad for enjoying it?" and structured the show around that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Max Wilco posted:

I imagine there's gonna be an instance sometime soon where someone lectures a millennial, and they reply, 'okay boomer', only to feel stupid later when they find out that lecturer was actually born in 1967, meaning that they belong to Generation X. (I guess you could say, 'okay GenXer' instead, but GenXer sounds like some kind of sci-fi bio-research company.)

Boomer is not a condition purely of age but of the spirit.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Max Wilco posted:

GenX are all spiritual Boomers.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rockit posted:

Yeah. Seems nascent and mostly reports from tube . There's a series on opening themes but nothing quite an killer app just yet IMHO.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it had much more on there than the creators had on youtube.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

The book series Dexter is based off started before Condemned came out.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Purr Cat Cafe | Down the Rabbit Hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNsqEntHuV8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh fun I’ll have to watch that, as Purr was a loving nightmare and I’m sure more craziness happened since the Imgur album (that was already insanely long) was published.

In other news, Guru Larry just released a video about how goatse influenced the design of the Nokia NGage handheld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-UHzkT3v3o