Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

As the jam broke his foot got stuck in the boxes and pulled off his prosthetic leg. I stopped the belt to let him recover his leg and hop back to the ladder- at this time I caught poo poo from my boss for stopping the belt for too long.

Of course they were upset, you were preventing your colleague from putting his best foot forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

The violation is that there are no warning labels for that photon torpedo on top.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I assume the SUV that got t-boned by the front-loader ran a red light, right? With no traffic lights visible it just looks like there must have been a protected left being signalled.

Edit: I guess the front loader also made a left turn from the far right lane, which was also pretty bad. Just trying to figure out the proper assignment of blame on this one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I assume the SUV that got t-boned by the front-loader ran a red light, right? With no traffic lights visible it just looks like there must have been a protected left being signalled.

Edit: I guess the front loader also made a left turn from the far right lane, which was also pretty bad. Just trying to figure out the proper assignment of blame on this one.

The loader is turning left from the rightmost lane though. It even cuts in front of another car to do so D:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Is burying nukes around ICBM launch sites to defend against enemy nukes OSHA (Apologies for lovely pics, taking snaps of books is hard)?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Premier loves surprises.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/8crZTil.gifv
Up up and away

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF32DRg9opA

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Introducing new lightweight concrete blocks!

Perfect for highrise construction projects.

https://i.imgur.com/iQ2hN3E.mp4

Cheniseum has spread from metal to masonry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Load bearing cardboard boxes

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Elf Who Lost His Hand in a Tragic Factory Accident is a new holiday classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinypEf1xxQ

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nailed it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

That sucked. Also maybe ya'll should steer away from saying "Chinesium" as a general term for dodgy poo poo (Or in general really). IDC how much you love AvE because even that dudes basis for the term is flawed given more often than not when he says it it's not even about parts from China and for the longest time he shat on sintered metal manufacturing as being shite and a basis for the term despite the fact that it's not really. (Edit: and poo poo the clip posted by the OP has Japanese text in it).

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

That sucked. Also maybe ya'll should steer away from saying "Chinesium" as a general term for dodgy poo poo (Or in general really). IDC how much you love AvE because even that dudes basis for the term is flawed given more often than not when he says it it's not even about parts from China and for the longest time he shat on sintered metal manufacturing as being shite and a basis for the term despite the fact that it's not really. (Edit: and poo poo the clip posted by the OP has Japanese text in it).

It's not Japanese that's spoken in the video.

I think those blocks were only cladding, but there are news stories about bridges containing trash as filler.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-12/30/content_9244857.htm

Or newspapers in dumplings. Or cooking oil reclaimed from sewer waste.

Chabuduo.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

There's no sound on MP4 embeds and idc how many examples of dodgy poo poo from China you've got there's just as many for any other country. "Chinesium" is a poo poo word.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

drunkill posted:

I recently read an interesting article on how this viewpoint of "good enough" (chabuduo) came about and how much it affects China.
https://aeon.co/essays/what-chinese-corner-cutting-reveals-about-modernity

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

drunkill posted:

Did they not notice that the bricks weighed about as much as TV gold?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

There's no sound on MP4 embeds and idc how many examples of dodgy poo poo from China you've got there's just as many for any other country. "Chinesium" is a poo poo word.

There is sound on MP4 embeds, just not on Apple products. There is even a bug in the Awesome App and I keep hearing the sound of this video until I load another thread.

I know the Chinese can produce quality products, but you won't get it for the price everyone expects.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

The loader is turning left from the rightmost lane though. It even cuts in front of another car to do so D:

yeah, but without the loader maybe the silver car would of made the turning and got hit side on by the red SUV running the light.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Just so it's clear: I don't think it's good that people say "Chinesium" to describe things that are shite. It's basically racist when you get down to it. IDC about general attitudes towards manufacturing in China or whatever. This is pretty a cut-and-dry situation. Last I'll say on it.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 8, 2019

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Just so it's clear: I don't think it's good that people say "Chinesium" to describe things that are shite.

It's a lot easier to say than "your posts"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Is burying nukes around ICBM launch sites to defend against enemy nukes OSHA (Apologies for lovely pics, taking snaps of books is hard)?

What does this do? Trick the incoming missile into thinking the launch site already got blowed up and then it goes home?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What does this do? Trick the incoming missile into thinking the launch site already got blowed up and then it goes home?

It's an underlay defence for deployment when terminal ABMs fail. It was designed to detonate only seconds before the incoming RVs would detonate. At that stage said RVs would already be terminal and on a fixed trajectory.

The theory was that the volume of debris jettisoned into the path of the RV would either disable it and/or shield the complex from the full force of the detonation. Also as a secondary dust ejected into higher altitudes could screen other incoming RVs by increasing resistance and throwing them off-course or causing them to burn-up.

All of this was in theory of course. The Densepack dust-defence system was never deployed and obviously never used.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Cojawfee posted:

ICBM re-enty vehicles are moving very fast when they're close to hitting, so a dust cloud would shred an incoming warhead.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Most RVs had terminal velocities around 5km/s which is just insane. Because of that terminal intercept ABMs had some truly insane performance metrics. For example the Sprint ABM accelerated at ~100G to 10km/s, all to intercept an RV below 60km altitude. To compensate many terminal ABMs had nuclear warheads so that they had larger margins of error to intercept. In Russia there's an ABM system around Moscow which still fields terminal intercept missiles with nuclear warheads.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I love that the cold war answer to all things nuclear was MORE FUCKIN' NUKES.

CAN'T NUKE US IF WE ALREADY NUKED OURSELVES gently caress YEAH SUCK IT COMMIES!!!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Basically. Things that had nuclear warhead options in the Cold War:

• Air-to-Air Missiles
  • Surface-to-Air Missiles (Obviously for BMDS)
  • Anti-Ship Missiles (Surface-to-surface from ships and subs, air-to-surface from aircraft)
  • Torpedos
  • Landmines (Apparently the USSR deployed a bunch on bridges east of Germany as a way of stemming the west if they went to war)
  • Artillery shells and surface-to-surface rockets
  • MANPADs (Man-Portable Air Defence missile systems like Stinger)
  • Backpacks (W54, only 27kg and about the size of a wastebasket)

Not an exhaustive list ofc. Also nuclear weapon development didn't end with the Cold War. Russia is fielding the Rs-28 Sarmat ultra-heavy ICBM which has a maximum yield by throw-weight of 50Mt which can be divided up with say 5 x 10Mt RVs or a myriad of HGVs (Hypersonic Glide Vehicles, basically manoeuvrable RVs, unpredictable terminal phase makes intercept much harder). The Sarmat is technically the most powerful weapon on the planet.

Edit: is there a nuke thread maybe I should post this garbage there?

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 8, 2019

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's pretty goddamn OSHA that they would force dudes to just stand all clumped up and advance slowly when someone's also slowly pointing cannons at them.

This is from a few days ago, but I'm living in the past, sorry. One of the main reason to have infantry in close order is to avoid getting murdered by cavalry, which would jump at any sign of infantry units losing cohesion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97dBfdNrf9A

You would still have infantry fighting in loose formation, your light infantry, jaegers, chasseurs-a-pied/voltigeurs, rifles, etc, and even line infantry, circumstances permitting. But they would be dependent on having some sort of counter to being overrun by cavalry, be it rough terrain, falling back to main lines, etc.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pile Of Garbage posted:

IDC about general attitudes towards manufacturing in China or whatever.

So you admit you don't know what you are talking about, but felt the need to comment.
Chinese attitudes towards manufacturing, as you put it, tend to be worse than other countries. Its not due to genetic inferiority of the Chinese but rather complex culture factors that arise from being a late developing industrial power having to deal with already established powers. And of course they can produce high quality products when needed. It just amazes me that we are supposed to pretend that their general manufacturing culture doesn't have system wide issues because some dumbass thinks its racist to point it out.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pile Of Garbage posted:

For example the Sprint ABM accelerated at ~100G to 10km/s, all to intercept an RV below 60km altitude.

And it got hot

https://i.imgur.com/HJufMn3.mp4

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

In development testing at White Sands it failed in some fun ways:

Both this and FuturePastNow's clip are from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk9mvLFNqMQ

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/4UBe555.mp4

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

OSHA is the sound that guy with the extinguisher fell.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Basically. Things that had nuclear warhead options in the Cold War:

[list]
[*]MANPADs (Man-Portable Air Defence missile systems like Stinger)
[*]Backpacks (W54, only 27kg and about the size of a wastebasket)

The raw W54 warhead was that small, but the smallest “backpack” it was ever deployed in weighed 150lbs and definitely wouldn’t have fit into an airplane overhead.

What was the nuclear MANPAD? Never heard of that one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Both this and FuturePastNow's clip are from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk9mvLFNqMQ

Film of Sprint launches always looks fake. It accelerates unnervingly quickly.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The raw W54 warhead was that small, but the smallest “backpack” it was ever deployed in weighed 150lbs and definitely wouldn’t have fit into an airplane overhead.

What was the nuclear MANPAD? Never heard of that one.

Can't find a good reference sorry. Let's call that one bullshit on my part!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Imagine the Russians have launched an ICBM at us and the last thing you see is this before you're vaporized.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

So you admit you don't know what you are talking about, but felt the need to comment.
Chinese attitudes towards manufacturing, as you put it, tend to be worse than other countries. Its not due to genetic inferiority of the Chinese but rather complex culture factors that arise from being a late developing industrial power having to deal with already established powers. And of course they can produce high quality products when needed. It just amazes me that we are supposed to pretend that their general manufacturing culture doesn't have system wide issues because some dumbass thinks its racist to point it out.
Chinesium implies it won't get better until we get the chinese out of the loop when in reality its malignant profit seeking that has been had to be regulated out of other countries (and not incredibly long ago, using legal tools manufacturers are very interested in eroding), an active social solution to something that markets won't fix quickly.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Imagine the Russians have launched an ICBM at us and the last thing you see is this before you're vaporized.

If you're close enough to see terminal ABM launches you're already so deep in the poo poo that you may be dead already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Edit: is there a nuke thread maybe I should post this garbage there?

If you're not posting in it already, the AIRPOWER/Cold War thread in TFR is always good for nuke talk - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768