Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
how does it even solve trust

merchant demands bits-coins first, gets them, keeps items
merchant provides items first, never gets the bits-coins

hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Suspicious posted:

hmm

it would be recorded for all time

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious posted:

hmm

welcome to the byzantine general store

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

tim draper, when asked about fross posted:

Free Ross, Get him out, we need entrepreneurs like that, get him out of jail, why do you put these really extraordinary people in jail we need their minds and their energy and their force, their life force, get him free, who know what else he could have come up with.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Draper should get back to trying to break California up into six separate states instead of commenting about Bitscoin

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
mining bitcoins

マイニングビットコイン

Mainingubittokoin

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Soricidus posted:

moooooooods?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Soricidus posted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

In Government Exhibit 226A in March of 2012 you and
7 some employees run a promotional campaign with a prize for a
8 participant. In messages introduced at trial you point out to
9 your colleagues that it is a worthwhile thing to do and state:
10 "We will be doing a mil in sales" -- which I read as a million
11 but it says -- "a mil in sales every week at full commission
12 before long. I think it's leading by example for the vendors.
13 They will be more generous if we are. And we are selling drugs
14 here. First one's free, little Johnny. drat, that sounds
15 awful." Followed by your colleagues saying, "Ha." And then
16 you say: "Sponge Bob canoe and life-size my little pony with
17 every hash purchase of 50 bitcoins or more."

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what an entrepreneur

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lambert posted:

Draper should get back to trying to break California up into six separate states instead of commenting about Bitscoin

nope, gently caress that guy, keep him wasting time on bitcoins instead of doing actual damage

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Soricidus posted:

:wow:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Boxturret posted:

In Government Exhibit 226A in March of 2012 you and
7 some employees run a promotional campaign with a prize for a
8 participant. In messages introduced at trial you point out to
9 your colleagues that it is a worthwhile thing to do and state:
10 "We will be doing a mil in sales" -- which I read as a million
11 but it says -- "a mil in sales every week at full commission
12 before long. I think it's leading by example for the vendors.
13 They will be more generous if we are. And we are selling drugs
14 here. First one's free, little Johnny. drat, that sounds
15 awful." Followed by your colleagues saying, "Ha." And then
16 you say: "Sponge Bob canoe and life-size my little pony with
17 every hash purchase of 50 bitcoins or more."

clearly this man is a hero and his imprisonment is an injustice on the level of that of mandela

he's this generation's gandhi

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

clearly this man is a hero and his imprisonment is an injustice on the level of that of mandela

he's this generation's gandhi

:hai:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Soricidus posted:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Soricidus posted:

:prepop:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I dont get it

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:bitcoin: Discuss. :bitcoin:

You are a bitcoiner called Barry Oners. You have a stash of bitcoins. You would
like to exchange them for US dollars.

What do you need?

A currency exchanger is someone who can convert your bitcoins into dollars, euros
or pounds sterling. They will usually charge a fee for this service
> Find a currency exchanger

The easiest way to get started is to go to one of the many exchanges that exist
and buy some bitcoins. These exchanges allow people to trade their bitcoins
for other currencies
> Go to a bitcoin exchange and buy some bitcoins

Go to an exchange and buy some bitcoins. The exchange will usually charge a small
fee for this service.
> Buy bitcoins

You buy some bitcoins from the exchange. This transaction takes place in a few
seconds.
> Try to sell bitcoins for a higher amount of dollars

You want to sell your bitcoins for more money, so you do it immediately.
> Count money made from selling bitcoins

You make a little bit of money when you sell your bitcoins.
> Check if the money made from selling bitcoins is higher than the money spent buying the bitcoins

You see that the money made from selling bitcoins is higher than the money spent
buying them. So you spend the money on something else.
> Buy more bitcoins

You buy more bitcoins from the exchange. This transaction takes place in a few
minutes.
> Sell all the bitcoins for a very large amount of dollars

You sell all the bitcoins for a very large amount of dollars.
> Count the dollars earned from selling the bitcoins

You see that the money earned from selling the bitcoins is much higher than the
money spent buying them. So you spend the money on something else.
> Invest all of your money in an honest ponzi

You decide to invest all of your money into an honest ponzi scheme.
> Gleefully wait for other people to buy into the honest ponzi scheme, increasing the money you earn

You eagerly wait for others to buy into the honest ponzi scheme, increasing your
money earned.
> check amount of money

You see that the money invested in the ponzi scheme is not enough to cover your
losses. So you lose everything.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

you see the byzantine generals problem is a problem that bitcoin pretends to solve and a general store is a store that sells things

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
also “byzantine” can mean something weird and convoluted, similar to the experience of using bitcoin to buy something

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

Qwertycoatl posted:

if it ends up making the plane explode just give the seller a scammer tag on the immutable blockchain, problem solved

Who has the right to give them the scammer tag? Is there a centralized authority that can do that?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
you send them a penny shaving and add a comment indicating that they are not to be trusted. then it is recorded in the immutable blockchain forever.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

semen_thrower writes "scammer!" and with such an authority weighing in how can anyone hope to escape justice?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

There’s Something Very Strange Going On With Bitcoin Futures

quote:

Bitcoin has been on a roller-coaster over the last few weeks, with the price often yoyoing up to thousands of dollars in minutes.

The bitcoin price is down almost half from its year-to-date highs, with the bitcoin and crypto market stuck on a downward trend for last six months.

Now, researchers have recorded "unusual" moves in the bitcoin futures market, with premium rates rising even as bitcoin prices fall—suggesting the bitcoin price could be headed higher next year.

[Update: 8.53pm EST December 6 2019] As the bitcoin price has recovered some ground today, moving above $7,500 per bitcoin, the price has realigned with CME's March 2020 bitcoin futures.

Between November 29 and December 2, the premium on bitcoin futures increased over 30% while the bitcoin price dropped around 6%.

"The premium rates on bitcoin March 2020 contracts have been increasing, although the bitcoin price has decreased," analysts at Arcane Research found, adding, "this is not a common observation."

Researchers also reported that bitcoin's implied volatility is set to rise to over 70% by June 2020, up from 55% for the middle of December 2019.

"This clearly show that traders anticipate changes in the bitcoin price. To put this in perspective, gold options for June 2020 trade with an implied volatility of 11.5%."

Despite bitcoin's recent sell-off, many bitcoin and cryptocurrency market watchers are feeling good about next year—bitcoin and crypto heavyweights have been predicting a sudden price surge, technical data is looking positive, and recent developments suggest 2020 could be a big year for bitcoin.

Meanwhile, the looming bitcoin halving event, set for May next year, will see the number of bitcoin rewarded to miners cut by half and some expect this to boost the bitcoin price—though others disagree.

loving Forbes lol

...!
Oct 5, 2003

:argh: boxturret :argh:

Canadian taxpayers foot bill for bankrupt Bitcoin mining facility

Elliot Hill
December 5, 2019

Great North Data, a Canadian Bitcoin mining and AI-algorithm processing facility, has filed for bankruptcy.

The company is said to have $13.2 million in liabilities and just $4.6 million in tangible assets.

It has since emerged that a portion of this cash is owed to provincial government and federal government agencies who invested money in the cryptocurrency business.

The two public entities, funded by taxpayers’ money, are the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) and the Business Investment Corporation of Newfoundland and Labrador.

The agencies are owed $281,675 and $313,718 Canadian dollars respectively. The owners of the bankrupt Bitcoin mining facility have not been publicly named.

First reported by Canadian news outlet CBC, the news that taxpayers’ money went into such a scheme has caused a significant backlash by local Canadians, with many taking to the article’s comments section to voice their dismay.

User Sean Shott wrote:

“Why not name the owners? They have $315,000 of taxpayers’ dollars?”

Another user called the ACOA a “money incineration machine”. The ACOA declined to comment on the matter, saying it had a duty to protect client confidentiality.

Legal dispute with Hong Kong firm

It’s speculated that Great North Data’s financial problems may have arisen from a legal dispute with Hong Kong-based cryptocurrency mining hardware company Bitmain.

The huge Bitcoin mining company, which has recently opened a new facility in Texas, alleged business problems had escalated between the parties since the beginning of their relationship in 2013.

It is believed that Bitmain provided the mining hardware for the Canadian crypto mining company on a loan basis.

Great North Data cited sprawling construction costs for its new facility as a reason for its inability to repay or continue its operations, causing significant strain on its relationship with Bitmain.

Court documents revealed that Great North Data had emailed Bitmain in August 2017, claiming:

“We have had significant cost overruns and have failed to find financing to cover them.”

However, it’s taken another two years for the facility to finally file for bankruptcy.

Canadian officials have been traditionally welcoming to cryptocurrency businesses, ushering in new regulations earlier this year to help Canada’s crypto companies become compliant and build commercial relationships.

Despite this, using public money to fund cryptocurrency projects may cause Canadian taxpayers to seriously question both regional and national government priorities.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

what an entrepreneur

a miserable pile of receipts

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Fun times ahead

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol. now it’s not just an omission, it’s an explicit lie on your tax filing if you don’t mention your bitcoin holdings.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Management posted:

lol. now it’s not just an omission, it’s an explicit lie on your tax filing if you don’t mention your bitcoin holdings.

would that apply to game currencies, steam hats etc?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

i dont know about just getting the items but if you meet certain threshholds for listing on the Steam marketplace Valve does start asking you info for tax purposes.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Zopotantor posted:

There are surely aspects that have yet to be litigated, but I would expect that it applies to any currency from which you can potentially derive income (cf. a currency that functions only as non-transferable store credit purchased and redeemed for a dollar amount)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 8, 2019

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

pretty much everything on a tax form has a particular legal definition, so pulling up one of their memos, it describes a virtual currency as "a digital representation of value that functions as a medium of exchange, a unit of account, and a store of value other than a representation of the United States dollar or a foreign currency." (Rev. Rul. 2019-24).

in theory, this describes everything which may be in one or another exchanged for goods or services, so, ah, that makes it super broad! like steam hats no, because it's not a "unit of account", but conceivably that would include things like mmo money (world of warcraft gold is already exchangeable for blizzard bucks which you can buy stuff with*). i expect this to be narrowed in the future but yeah, that might include things of value that someone can prove is an exchange of value which can reliably denominated in a "real" currency.

*arguably you'd incur liability for income upon conversion to a good received that had a basis value of zero if you used gold you created within the game because all the stuff blizz sells is denominated in dollars and it's that conversion which should trigger the liability but no one at the irs is going to chase after you for not declaring the $45 of wow subscription time you didn't pay taxes on

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 8, 2019

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
lol game micro transactions are about to not be a thing anymore

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

no, they'll be fine. this is just another tool for selective prosecution.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

how does the irs (or other tax orgs) deal with such things from before they were defined/taxed or that changed? for example* if you had a large amount of WoW gold from before you could trade it for blizzard bucks, is that taxed and when? im curious how all that gets worked out since there is a lot of virtual currency that isnt blockchain, whether they say so or not. i can see a lot of idiots trying to pull the 'its not a currency, its an ingame token' and getting burned so there is that to look forward to.

*hypothetically, asking for a friend

FrozenVent posted:

that seems unlikely unless something else happened.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FrozenVent posted:

not at all. a new wave of people getting mad at the IRS because they don't understand taxes is absolutely gonna be a thing though

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im so mad and the international rugby school rn

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

CampingCarl posted:

how does the irs (or other tax orgs) deal with such things from before they were defined/taxed or that changed? for example* if you had a large amount of WoW gold from before you could trade it for blizzard bucks, is that taxed and when? im curious how all that gets worked out since there is a lot of virtual currency that isnt blockchain, whether they say so or not. i can see a lot of idiots trying to pull the 'its not a currency, its an ingame token' and getting burned so there is that to look forward to.

*hypothetically, asking for a friend
we'd probably treat it the same way we'd treat buttcoin: you created the object when it had zero value so back in 2010 you had nothing to declare. then you discover that butts are worth $texas each and then you get someone to pay you $texas for each one without being shot in the process. good news, you have a capital gains to report: your butts which were accounted for with zero dollars are in fact worth $texas. $texas - zero is equal to a tax bill of $texas times the current long-term capital gains tax rate of 15-20% depending on your other income. yay!

it's usually the transaction that ends up being taxable. yeah, in theory if you find a gold nugget in your backyard you're supposed to say "hey i found a gold nugget ex nihilio, charge me the customary rate for my bracket, tia" in practice you're going to say "i found this nugget at uhhhhhhhhh jan 1 2019 and sold it for $1200 an ounce to 'reputable jeweler' on dec 31 2019, that's my tax liability. no totally true, i found it this year and not a few decades ago when the penalty for not declaring the thing would be worth ten times the actual income" and the irs really can't and won't do anything about it unless you're an idiot that paraded the object around town and can be proven beyond all doubt with a google search that you acquired it earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

kw0134 posted:

it's usually the transaction that ends up being taxable. yeah, in theory if you find a gold nugget in your backyard you're supposed to say "hey i found a gold nugget ex nihilio, charge me the customary rate for my bracket, tia" in practice you're going to say "i found this nugget at uhhhhhhhhh jan 1 2019 and sold it for $1200 an ounce to 'reputable jeweler' on dec 31 2019, that's my tax liability. no totally true, i found it this year and not a few decades ago when the penalty for not declaring the thing would be worth ten times the actual income" and the irs really can't and won't do anything about it unless you're an idiot that paraded the object around town and can be proven beyond all doubt with a google search that you acquired it earlier.
so having the exact time you found a gold nugget along with its exact size and date you transferred ownership of it available publicly on an immutable ledger seems like a great idea!

i wonder how the definition of virtual currency will get narrowed. there are lots of things that aren't really a unit of account but in practice are treated as such or are easily exchanged for something that is. then there were places that let you buy/sell hats with bitcoin which i imagine is something that should get taxed at some point in the process. i am really curious how all that works if there is another thread on the topic outside of bitcoiners getting mad at men with guns.