Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Tubgoat posted:

For how long???

Until you make Diamond. In other words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Last Visible Dog posted:

I found this from the last time that book got brought up in this thread.

For convenience: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&pagenumber=642&perpage=40#post464595967

God this is loving depressing. I hope this was never given to a single child in earnest. That said -

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Beaten so hard she can’t even open her eye, awful to see.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Depressio111117 posted:

God this is loving depressing. I hope this was never given to a single child in earnest. That said -

I know that this was a weird illustrative style that was popular in 93-94, but I hate anybody that thinks it's enjoyable. Like fingernails on a chalkboard, but instead my eyes.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
The poor kid passes out every other page. Maybe the author isn't a lazy hack who can't think of another way to end a scene, and it's really about the dangers of undiagnosed childhood narcolepsy.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Also weird: The book says she's lying in bed at the hotel with her little nephew in the next bed. Yet the only mention of her sisters is that they come home from college. And there's no mention of any sister's husband. So, like, did one pop out a bastard kid in high school, or...?
Speaking of school, does this poor kid even go to school, what with all the traveling around to conferences and poo poo?
This book is disturbing as hell.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Like most northern europeans, I'm being swamped with retarded rear end crank callers from India and Africa. Any idea how to stop it?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Tias posted:

Like most northern europeans, I'm being swamped with retarded rear end crank callers from India and Africa. Any idea how to stop it?

It's 2019, why are you till answering the phone?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

It's 2019, why are you till answering the phone?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

read that title enough times, and it becomes, "Just Wait 'til We're Doomed."

e: I've read a lot of children's books from the public library over the last five years, and a lot of them are as aimed at programming parents, not just kids. They often read something like, "Missy was upset. Dad didn't lose his temper or ask her to calm down. He just sat down next to her and gave her a hug and waited patiently for her to stop crying. And you know what? It worked!"

This book reads exactly like that, aimed at establishing a norm of behavior, and coloring the "old" family versus the "new" family, and it's aimed right at both the child and the adult reading the book to the child. It's cult literature.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 8, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

doctorfrog posted:

read that title enough times, and it becomes, "Just Wait 'til We're Doomed."
They kinda already are if you're buying a "children's" book promoting MLM scams.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sweet jesus, dude's illustrating an MLM pyramid on one of the pages:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Yes.

The book is literally pyramid scheme propaganda.

Why is this a surprise.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

e: I've read a lot of children's books from the public library over the last five years, and a lot of them are as aimed at programming parents, not just kids. They often read something like, "Missy was upset. Dad didn't lose his temper or ask her to calm down. He just sat down next to her and gave her a hug and waited patiently for her to stop crying. And you know what? It worked!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJSvCQmoCx4

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Midjack posted:

Yes.

The book is literally pyramid scheme propaganda.

Why is this a surprise.

My expression was mostly at the baldness of the expression, but also at my realization that this book's purpose includes inuring a child against things like seeing the pyramid as a pyramid, or neglect as neglect. (Say to any MLM dude, "That sounds like a pyramid scheme," and see what they say. They'll be ready for that, and maybe even believe their handling of your objection.)

Soften's 'em right up as the next generation of suckers. It's dismaying.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tias posted:

Mine finally got so bad that I set my phone to send everything to VM unless they’re in my contacts. I’m in the US though. It’s bad everywhere.

One thing that’s good about it is I haven’t lived in the area code that I have for my phone for 12 years, and all the scammers spoof your area code, so I see 319 I know it’s safe to ignore but if I see 775 (where I live now) it’s usually legit.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Mitch gazes on benignly. Yes, yes....

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

bird with big dick posted:

One thing that’s good about it is I haven’t lived in the area code that I have for my phone for 12 years, and all the scammers spoof your area code, so I see 319 I know it’s safe to ignore but if I see 775 (where I live now) it’s usually legit.

I’ve noticed they’ve started branching out into area codes that are geographic neighbors (example for me: I have a 503 number, and I’m starting to get auto dialed scams from 541 and 971, all Oregon area codes).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've also seen them use area codes that are nowhere near me. I've never lived in Florida, and nobody I know has either, but I've gotten robocalls with Florida area codes.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

This really is a great, completely unexpected perk of my old-rear end phone number. Even if it isn’t spam, I sure as hell don’t want to talk to anyone from my hometown!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I've also seen them use area codes that are nowhere near me. I've never lived in Florida, and nobody I know has either, but I've gotten robocalls with Florida area codes.

It's even better when you live in Florida. Got one from my own number the other day, wtf.

Somehow going to Polk county (so, Lakeland) invites a bunch of scam calls as well. I'm 34 and in decent health, the Social Security Administration doesn't give a poo poo about me, why would I need to verify my SS# and name? My fifteen year old vehicle is well past any extended warranty period (those ones go straight to voice-mail). I've also gotten two voice mails in what I've figured out is Hmong Daw, despite the username I'm whitebread as gently caress. This is all during the past three days of driving two counties over to work in Polk county. The person I've been working with out there gets upwards of twenty scam calls a day. Preying on the elderly and people with limited English skills (or both), bra-loving-vo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bold entrepreneurship

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I'm getting 4-5 calls a week and the number looks like it's not only the same area code as me, but the same prefix as my cell carrier. On a lark, I called one back and got the "this number is not accepting calls at this time" message.

Yeah, legit.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm getting 4-5 calls a week and the number looks like it's not only the same area code as me, but the same prefix as my cell carrier. On a lark, I called one back and got the "this number is not accepting calls at this time" message.

Yeah, legit.

They're spoofing phone numbers that are in your same area code and sub-group, I once got a robocall from myself!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The monotony of calls spoofed from my area code was broken last month when I got a call from a stranger telling me that he had been spoof-called by my number. (Not that I could do anything about it, but I appreciated getting junk voicemails from a well-intentioned human rather than a robot.)

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

When I was talking to my mom over Thanksgiving, she said she'd gotten several spam phonecalls over the past couple months from someone spoofing my dad's and my sister's cell numbers. I guess there's databases out there that correlate people into their families, so it doesn't seem like it would be difficult to figure out which phone numbers someone likely has in their contacts list, and would therefore be more likely to be answered. But it would seem like if your spouse calls and then instead of them it's some telemarketer wanting to consolidate your debt or whatever, that the telemarketer's success rate would be a lot lower than it would otherwise be, due to the call recipient being extra pissed at the telemarketer for pulling a fast one.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But if they don't answer, that's a 0% chance of making a sale!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
You can never go broke banking on people's capacity to do stupid things when their defenses are down. I once misdiailed an airline by one digit and got a call center worker who tried to sell me a vacation package. I thought "what the hell, I didn't come here on purpose but might as well see what they have to say" and listened to them for far longer than I should have (which was zero).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, legit.
Don't call the scam numbers back; they're spoofing the number. I once had an irate lady call me up and tell me that I had just called her. I tried to tell her about spoofing, but she just kept getting more irate, insisting that I was trying to scam her.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

She seems dumb you should have tried to scam her

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's funny how like three in the last ten posts have talked about people getting spoofed calls from their own number.

The thread is spoofing posts from itself.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

It's funny how like three in the last ten posts have talked about people getting spoofed calls from their own number.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Soricidus posted:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When they spoof your own number, they really should lean into why everyone who answers does so - the hope that it’s a call from themselves from the future.

Steve, it’s you from 2023. Everything is going great man, but I tell you one thing - you really need to buy these dick pills.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

She seems dumb you should have tried to scam her
:classiclol:+:hmmyes:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

When they spoof your own number, they really should lean into why everyone who answers does so - the hope that it’s a call from themselves from the future.

Steve, it’s you from 2023. Everything is going great man, but I tell you one thing - you really need to buy these dick pills.

woah

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
In the future, everything is paid in late 2010’s Apple iTunes gift cards. Send me $10,000 now and we’ll be millionaires when you get to 2030!!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wouldn't Steve know already that he need dick pills? And future self would reassure Steve that buying THOSE dick pills was the right decision?
You are not made out to be a telemarketer, sorry.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love this pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dunno-Lars posted:

You are not made out to be a telemarketer, sorry.

The nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.