Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Wouldn't the firestorm from a nuke have burned the forest down? It was really close to Racoon City.

Did they ever establish how many civilians survived the outbreak? If the army had barricaded it and was rescuing survivors as per the RE3 end slides, it must have neem a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

OldMemes posted:

Wouldn't the firestorm from a nuke have burned the forest down? It was really close to Racoon City.

Capcom had to go back a few years later and clarify that the bomb that took out Raccoon was fuel-air, not nuclear.

Even so, the forest is supposed to be big, well-preserved, and largely uncivilized, which was why the Spencer mansion could get by undetected out there. A big part of the forest would've been taken out by the bomb, but some would've survived even if it wasn't infested with T-Virus strain.

OldMemes posted:

Did they ever establish how many civilians survived the outbreak? If the army had barricaded it and was rescuing survivors as per the RE3 end slides, it must have neem a few.

Right now, the only official survivors we know of are Claire, Leon, Sherry, Jill, Carlos, Ada, Nicolai (until they actually get around to clarifying whether or not he survived, anyway), Alyssa Ashcroft, Linda Baldwin, presumably the two firemen from the end of "Decisions, Decisions," and the handful of people in File #2's ending.

Beyond that, they've never said how many people actually got out. Leon says it's rare to run into a survivor of the incident in Degeneration, and finding out Claire is one of them seems to instantly buy her some street cred from Greg and Angela, but that could mean anything.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's also HUNK.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Wanderer posted:

Beyond that, they've never said how many people actually got out. Leon says it's rare to run into a survivor of the incident in Degeneration, and finding out Claire is one of them seems to instantly buy her some street cred from Greg and Angela, but that could mean anything.

Racoon City was a pretty small city, so I guess there weren't many people to get out in the first place. Then again, this was a city with a special SWAT team and several helicopters, so who knows.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
100k inhabitants is pretty big for a midwestern backwater in the rear end end of nowhere. Puts it in the top fifty largest cities for basically that entire quarter of the United States, even, if Wikipedia can be believed.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Anyone seen that An Origin of Species mod for RE2-98? While I don't agree with some of the gameplay changes (like adding zombies than can run and pounce on you), what they've done was still impressive on a technical level.

Wanderer posted:

Degeneration was kind of an okay movie (though not really a fan how it made Leon so devoid of humor and oneliners), but I did like that they played up how survivors from Raccoon City are a big deal because they would know how to handle themselves during a zombie outbreak.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cardiovorax posted:

100k inhabitants is pretty big for a midwestern backwater in the rear end end of nowhere. Puts it in the top fifty largest cities for basically that entire quarter of the United States, even, if Wikipedia can be believed.

It's about the same size as South Bend, Indiana for reference.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Anyone seen that An Origin of Species mod for RE2-98? While I don't agree with some of the gameplay changes (like adding zombies than can run and pounce on you), what they've done was still impressive on a technical level.

is that the one that adds the seinfeld slap bass intro every time you enter a room with a fast zombie or am i thinking of the other difficult re2 mod Mortal Night?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

OldMemes posted:

Racoon City was a pretty small city, so I guess there weren't many people to get out in the first place. Then again, this was a city with a special SWAT team and several helicopters, so who knows.
The latter was because Umbrella funded them.

Raccoon City was pretty much a Umbrella company town.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Wanderer posted:

I mean on presumably nothing more then the XP she accumulated over one night in Raccoon Claire managed to somehow bypass getting picked up by the army after she splits off from Leon and Sherry, make her way to Paris and kick off what I think might have been the origin point of the series escalating action scenes when she blew the umbrella lab and most of its security team all the hell up. Though that and the silly adventure that followed might not be widely known though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Caidin posted:

I mean on presumably nothing more then the XP she accumulated over one night in Raccoon Claire managed to somehow bypass getting picked up by the army after she splits off from Leon and Sherry, make her way to Paris and kick off what I think might have been the origin point of the series escalating action scenes when she blew the umbrella lab and most of its security team all the hell up. Though that and the silly adventure that followed might not be widely known though.

By rights, given the kinds of enemies Chris has, Claire is 20 years overdue for somebody to try to hit him through her.

That being said, my "headcanon" on the issue is that nobody else wants to get dismantled as thoroughly and suddenly as Alfred was.

OldMemes posted:

The history of the original Raccoon City's pretty funny. The handful of exterior shots in RE2 '98 makes it look like it could be a reasonably built-up suburb, but RE3 drops the lore bomb that it had a population of 100,000, and every subsequent game set in it added a few more details. By ORC, it's basically a Japanese skin on Omaha.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

0 rows returned posted:

is that the one that adds the seinfeld slap bass intro every time you enter a room with a fast zombie or am i thinking of the other difficult re2 mod Mortal Night?

I'm honestly not sure. I had the audio muted since the guy streaming it had some obnoxious audio gimmicks going on. :v:

Wanderer posted:

By rights, given the kinds of enemies Chris has, Claire is 20 years overdue for somebody to try to hit him through her.

That being said, my "headcanon" on the issue is that nobody else wants to get dismantled as thoroughly and suddenly as Alfred was.

Alex really should have thought twice about her plans when she saw Claire's name on that list of Terrasave employees.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Even in RE2, the initial trip to the police station gave the impression of a pretty decent-sized city, as did the scale of the police force (IIRC, you see at least six or seven patrol cars plus a SWAT-type van). The fact that the RPD used to be an art museum - such an institution is uncommon in towns below a certain size.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wanderer posted:

Chris of course doesn't have to worry about the opposite, since Claire takes out all her enemies.

amigolupus posted:

Alex really should have thought twice about her plans when she saw Claire's name on that list of Terrasave employees.
That's kinda the problem with trying to find people who've proven themselves under pressure, they're also going to be the type of people who can ruin your plans.

Gnoman posted:

Even in RE2, the initial trip to the police station gave the impression of a pretty decent-sized city, as did the scale of the police force (IIRC, you see at least six or seven patrol cars plus a SWAT-type van). The fact that the RPD used to be an art museum - such an institution is uncommon in towns below a certain size.
The mere existence of a hi-tech pharmaceutical giant probably also requires quite a significant support structure, which would itself induce demand for even more secondary support. The art museum though, that indicates a city that was of a significant size before Umbrella showed up - I guess Raccoon City could've been one of the towns that would usually have been left behind by progress, essentially bought up/saved by Umbrella, which (aside from direct bribery and intimidation) would make it real hard to challenge them in the community.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

0 rows returned posted:

That's from Mortal Night, and that bass is unintentionally hilarious.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
April 3, 2020. Includes Resistance as a bonus mode! Looks amazing!

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khLbg_uAhcI

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 10, 2019

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
April 3rd 2020 for RE3 remake.

Also project resistance is included.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Looks loving great! Need to run through the original with the HD upscale project as soon as I've finished CVX.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I am unduly pleased they gave Jill pants.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's going to be pretty wild running through the Raccoon City streets with both Nemesis and the zombies chasing you through doors constantly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Judge Tesla posted:

It's going to be pretty wild running through the Raccoon City streets with both Nemesis and the zombies chasing you through doors constantly.

I was watching a Let's Play (ChristopherOdd) who was getting legit tense at being chased by Mr. X (I mean, so did I). I can only imagine what Nemesis will do to him.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Dawgstar posted:

I am unduly pleased they gave Jill pants.

Looks like her classic outfit is a preorder bonus.

I too am glad with the outfit update.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
What was the thinking for that original outfit? Did the outbreak happen just as Jill was heading out to a nightclub?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Spalec posted:

What was the thinking for that original outfit? Did the outbreak happen just as Jill was heading out to a nightclub?

Aside from the obvious reason which was "sexy lady" Capcom did a lot of scrabbling around saying there was a heatwave at the time so it was justified, why she didn't put pants on while the actual apocalypse was happening is a mystery.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Looks neat. Unless it was just for an intro it seems like the city won’t be completely abandoned/infected by the time Jill decided to go somewhere and do something. If there’s still a time jump in the middle that’ll probably take care of it though.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I feel like it had to be fanservice that backfired on Capcom. I can't back that up with any proof though.

The novel explains that it's a particularly warm autumn. It's still very very bad.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Did I miss something or is this a PS4 exclusive? I'm not seeing any info on any other platforms but maybe I'm a dimwit.

Edit: Nevermind! I didn't look hard enough.

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1204406678373814274

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 10, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeadButDelicious posted:

I feel like it had to be fanservice that backfired on Capcom. I can't back that up with any proof though.

The novel explains that it's a particularly warm autumn. It's still very very bad.

Yeah, it also has some line about 'Jill dressing for ease of movement' or something like that. The RE2 novel also tries to explain Claire wearing shorts for a God-knows-how-long ride on a motorcycle as being too worried about Chris to care he'd get mad she forgot to wear her bike leathers which is a little better. (Claire still would not have had a fun time on that ride, though.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Judge Tesla posted:

Aside from the obvious reason which was "sexy lady" Capcom did a lot of scrabbling around saying there was a heatwave at the time so it was justified, why she didn't put pants on while the actual apocalypse was happening is a mystery.
It seems than in the viral zombie apocalypse, having as little skin exposed to biting as possible would be a more pressing concern than heatstroke. Plus, the entire game takes place at night.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

RE3 actually starts during the day, though that's hard to tell. It becomes night after escaping the police station.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Trailer looks good, game looks great. April can't come soon enough.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I always thought that the first half of RE3 takes place during the day as evidenced by Jill's statement in the warehouse "September 28th, daylight, the monsters have overtaken the city. Somehow... I'm still alive" to contrast with her waking up in the chapel "October 1st, night. I woke up to the sound of falling rain. I can't believe I'm still alive."

It's hard to tell though due to graphic limitations of the PlayStation, so much of the city being on fire, and apparently it's overcast, at least judging by the title screen?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can see the sky in like one place, the last screen right before you enter the RPD.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh my.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

I always thought that the first half of RE3 takes place during the day as evidenced by Jill's statement in the warehouse "September 28th, daylight, the monsters have overtaken the city. Somehow... I'm still alive" to contrast with her waking up in the chapel "October 1st, night. I woke up to the sound of falling rain. I can't believe I'm still alive."
Well, if that's what it says in the intro... the lightning in the area the game starts in really doesn't seem to match up with that, though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's probably because you can backtrack to the very beginning of the game up until you fix the tram and the developers didn't want to create two different background renders for the time of day.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Oh I agree 100%. I have zero experience of the American midwest but if it's the day I don't think you really need street lamps on in late September. The lighting should be completely different in lots of areas, but hey, darkness is scarier.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm sane enough not to gently caress with excessive collectors editions of games but I want that city map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2TGigdVVMg

Has some gameplay footage and other fun stuff.