Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Volmarias posted:

Bumping since it's been about a day. Should I just find the cheapest option that supports everything I already have? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Someone's selling a Z170 in SA Mart right now, you can probably get it for a song. As Mu Zeta said it's a dead platform so you're stuck with what you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

General Maximus posted:

I'm not sure the monitor there is actually the same one, it's listed on the supplier site as Acer Nitro VG271P but the specs look the same. Decided to stick with 1080p to give myself more room for games demanding more performance before I have to start turning down settings. Also some of the games I play I'm not sure actually support 1440p cause they're older.

Yeah, monitor model numbers and can be a real mess, I was tearing my hair out trying to research all the different types when I was buying. Just be aware that 27" is pretty much the extreme limit you want to have a 1080p monitor at, as pixel density goes out the window and starts to look not so good at such large sizes, but it's totally personal preference and differs between people anyway. I'd stick with a 24" with the same specs, but obviously availability is a concern too. And yeah, a lot of older games only run at 1080p (and 60fps too), but most 1440p monitors downscale well. At least they'll run butter-smooth on your hardware (don't forget to use DisplayPort, not HDMI). Glad you've come in way under-budget, too.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 9, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

General Maximus posted:

Might just save myself the $140 extra and take the chance, then. Though on a second look the reason it's so much more expensive is that one's 32GB, not 16. Which is way more than I need, but they don't sell a 16GB version of the same one - or possibly they do but that specific model isn't on the QVL as a 16GB one.

Not dismissing the trustworthiness of random goons but I prefer to buy from a proper retailer. Mostly because I don't have a spare flash drive lying around so I need the actual physical media to be able to do the install, a key alone is of much less use to me.

You can buy a flash drive for like $7. Don't spend $200 on Windows. Just use it for free and I wouldn't be surprised if they just make it free soon.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
paying more than 20 bucks for windows 10 pro is ridiculous. Buy a flash disk and buy from the goon or don't pay at all.

I replaced the stock cooler from the 3700x with the noctua nh-u14s and its so much better. At full speed its makes only a fraction of the noise the wraith prism did at 50%, but it also never ever has to spin up that high. Also that thermal paste they slap on the wraith prism had melted and dripped all over and around the socket so I had to clean it up, what the hell why'd they use so much

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

General Maximus posted:

Might just save myself the $140 extra and take the chance, then. Though on a second look the reason it's so much more expensive is that one's 32GB, not 16. Which is way more than I need, but they don't sell a 16GB version of the same one - or possibly they do but that specific model isn't on the QVL as a 16GB one.

Kind of odd you can't find a single kit of 3200 RAM from your retailer on that list. It is a huge list but I wouldn't sweat it too much. It is just my little disclaimer in case you do run into trouble.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Back to my motherboard woes, what's the difference between the MSI Gaming Pro Max, Tomahawk Max, and Pro-A Max? I see the available ports on the back are a bit different and heatsink designs as well, but is there any benefit for a 3600X user on one or the other? I still have a Tomahawk Max on order from Amazon, just waiting for it to be delivered.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bank posted:

Back to my motherboard woes, what's the difference between the MSI Gaming Pro Max, Tomahawk Max, and Pro-A Max? I see the available ports on the back are a bit different and heatsink designs as well, but is there any benefit for a 3600X user on one or the other? I still have a Tomahawk Max on order from Amazon, just waiting for it to be delivered.

The gaming plus max and -a pro max are effectively the same board outside of aesthetic design and the -a pro’s vga port (which isn’t usable with a non-apu Ryzen anyway). Compared to the Tomahawk Max, they have two type-A usb 3.1 gen 2 ports instead of a type-A + type-C, and have a bit worse VRM cooling. The VRM difference isn’t enough to be important for a 3600x unless you’re attempting an extreme overclock, but 3rd-gen Ryzen doesn’t have enough overhead to make overclocking worthwhile anyway!

If you think the type-c port will be useful, stick with the Tomahawk and you’ll have a bit of extra juice if you drop in a more power-hungry chip down the line. If not, the -a pro or gaming plus are just fine!

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I'd like to make personal digital backups of quite a few Blu Rays I own. Not interested in doing any piracy stuff, I'm sure someone else will have put various crappy quality copies online anyway. In any case, is there some kind of blu ray drive that'll allow me to do this without any DRM interfering?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rookoo posted:

I'd like to make personal digital backups of quite a few Blu Rays I own. Not interested in doing any piracy stuff, I'm sure someone else will have put various crappy quality copies online anyway. In any case, is there some kind of blu ray drive that'll allow me to do this without any DRM interfering?

I don't think you need a special drive. Get MakeMKV

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All right, so the PC I built a couple years ago for gaming is starting to perform increasingly poorly on new games and I figure it's time for an upgrade. I'm in Canada, for the record.

The RAM and CPU chug quite often so they're my primary targets, but a new graphics card might be necessary too. I don't want to play the most graphically intense games on Ultra quality or anything, I just want to not have to worry about infuriatingly long load times and constant hanging when playing a game on its default settings.

My budget for parts is tentatively 500 dollars, but I'm willing to go a bit higher if necessary.

For those of you who remember how badly I struggled building this PC, I'm going to buy the parts and just give them to a computer maintenance store guy this time around.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Your GPU, hard drive, and maybe system bloat are more likely to be causing the issues than your cpu, which should still be decent for a 60Hz monitor outside a few of the most demanding games (though upgrading to 16gb of ram could help too).

What games are you having issues with, and do you have them installed on an ssd?

E: Do you have a micro ATX case, or a full ATX case? (that matters for making motherboard replacement recommendations)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 9, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm looking to replace my 7+ year old Windows desktop with something that I plan to use primarily for recording/producing music with Cubase and Ableton Live, messing around with Lightroom and Photoshop, and maybe also some gaming, but nothing more than 1080p. I'm currently using a Steinberg audio interface with USB 2.0, and I suppose it's possible at some point in the future I might be looking at interfaces with USB-C, but I doubt I'll end up needing Thunderbolt. My primary concern is a machine that is powerful enough to run whatever I throw at it in Cubase and Ableton, and to ensure that DPC latency is not a problem when I'm recording. To that end I'm looking at SSDs to keep all my applications, and a big old platter drive to store stuff I don't need fast access to, like tons of family photos and home video currently on my old desktop.

What country are you in? U.S.A.
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Music stuff as described above
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. $1600-2000, excluding Windows/Monitor/peripherals, which I all have
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? For my decidedly amateur work, I'm mainly concerned about low latency when recording audio. From what I can tell, both Cubase and Ableton will happily use multiple cores, so more is probably better for me there. I need something that will happily record in Cubase/Ableton without latency issues.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p

So a buddy who is into building computers helped me come up with the following:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.00 @ Adorama)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.00 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($209.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($239.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1692.92

I suspect that will handle what I want in Ableton/Cubase (although my buddy was excited about a 3950x, but I'm not sure I can justify the extra price). I'm also wondering if a Fractal Design with USB-C on the front panel (like this R6 USB-C) would be a good idea to give me one USB-C port somewhere. Also, I have wired internet in the rooms in my house I'd be using this in most of the time, so hadn't looked at wifi MBs, although if they were around the same price and performance, maybe that would be handy. Any downside to getting an MB with wifi if I don't need it all the time?

Anyone using a similar desktop for music production, and have any thoughts on this hardware -- specifically for recording audio with an audio interface, and whether there might be any latency concerns?

You probably know more about processor requirements for your music production than people here. But you are getting a top notch processor so I can't imagine problems for most people. The only comment I have is that the Intel 660p is a budget drive that's not as durable as real drives like the Rocket Sabrent and HP EX920. Spend the extra $10 for 3 times the write durability.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I have a very RAM specific question, I'm kind of murky on exactly how big a difference frequency and timings make these days. I have a 7700k with a mild overclock to 4.6, an Samsung 860 EVO m.2 drive as C:/ and an RTX 2070 on an MSI Z270-A Pro. Currently running 16 GB (2x8) of DDR4-3000 with 15-16-16-35 timing, I've been contemplating upgrading my ram and I'm looking at a 32 GB set (2x16) of DDR4-3600 (the board supports up to 3800 according to specs when I bought it) with 16-19-19-39 timings. I do use XMPP and the OC Genie stuff as well. How much of a difference would that make versus just buying 2 more sticks of what I've already got?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Q_res posted:

I have a very RAM specific question, I'm kind of murky on exactly how big a difference frequency and timings make these days. I have a 7700k with a mild overclock to 4.6, an Samsung 860 EVO m.2 drive as C:/ and an RTX 2070 on an MSI Z270-A Pro. Currently running 16 GB (2x8) of DDR4-3000 with 15-16-16-35 timing, I've been contemplating upgrading my ram and I'm looking at a 32 GB set (2x16) of DDR4-3600 (the board supports up to 3800 according to specs when I bought it) with 16-19-19-39 timings. I do use XMPP and the OC Genie stuff as well. How much of a difference would that make versus just buying 2 more sticks of what I've already got?

Unless you know for a fact that you have some kind of workload that's memory bound in some way, or you're already planning on upgrading because 16GB isn't enough for something you need to do, I don't think you should bother. If you need 32GB then I'd recommend getting a matched kit rather than buying loose sticks or separate kits to add on to what you already have. More sticks and more memory in general adds additional load on the memory controller and kits are binned and rated for use alone, not together with other kits. In your case it's very unlikely to actually be a problem in practice though because of the relatively low speeds and slow timings, but memory OC and memory instability testing is a huge pain in the rear end that's absolutely not worth dealing with and RAM is really cheap again, so if you're going to the trouble and expense of buying new modules today, just go straight for a 32GB 3600 kit IMO.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well just to be clear, what I'm looking at is either buying the exact same memory kit (same brand, spec, timings even part number) or replacing what I've got with the 32GB kit. I know better than to mix disparate RAM sticks. You're probably right in that 32 is likely overkill, but even if I just replaced my existing RAM with the same capacity of the different spec. Would it make much difference?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

As far as games go you'll get another 2 or 3 fps maybe.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Q_res posted:

Well just to be clear, what I'm looking at is either buying the exact same memory kit (same brand, spec, timings even part number) or replacing what I've got with the 32GB kit. I know better than to mix disparate RAM sticks. You're probably right in that 32 is likely overkill, but even if I just replaced my existing RAM with the same capacity of the different spec. Would it make much difference?

Even buying an identical kit is not guaranteed to work - it's binned to work with 16GB and two sticks, adding two more puts more load on the IMC and could at least in theory lead to issues. Again though, in this case I'm almost certain it'd be just fine, I just wanted to make it clear that XMP timings and bandwidth ratings are for the kit, not for individual sticks or for combinations of sticks. I know it sounds weird, but it's true - memory OC is just weird.

Anyway, to actually answer the question, going from 3000 CL16 to 3600CL16 is not likely to be a big improvement in most workloads. In games you might see a few percentage points better minimum frame times, probably. GamersNexus has some numbers for Ryzen at least. For productivity, it's gonna depend heavily on what you do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ItBreathes posted:

Someone's selling a Z170 in SA Mart right now, you can probably get it for a song. As Mu Zeta said it's a dead platform so you're stuck with what you can get.

Alright, thanks to everyone who replied about this!

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
So, I just finished my new build this weekend, and now I've got an awful monitor flickering issue.
My main monitor, this guy, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QS0AKVK/ will either start flickering or just go black. Restarting the computer generally fixes it for a few hours.
New video card is a PowerColor AMD Radeon 5700.
I made sure I have the latest drivers using AMD's tool. My previous machine had an AMD card and didn't have this issue at all. My second monitor is an old ViewSonic, and it's been fine.
I even tried using a different display port port on the card, but of course that didn't change anything.
I'm hopeful that MicroCenter will let me return the video card and get a new one. I'm guessing I should try an NVidia card this time? What would be their equivalent card?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Did you try another cable

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
I don't have another one unfortunately.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not even an HDMI cable? You could borrow one from your TV.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
I will try an hdmi cable. This video card only has one hdmi port though, so I guess I'll only be able to use one monitor for now. Or I guess I can try plugging the second monitor into the onboard graphics card.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Lurdiak posted:

All right, so the PC I built a couple years ago for gaming is starting to perform increasingly poorly on new games and I figure it's time for an upgrade. I'm in Canada, for the record.

The RAM and CPU chug quite often so they're my primary targets, but a new graphics card might be necessary too. I don't want to play the most graphically intense games on Ultra quality or anything, I just want to not have to worry about infuriatingly long load times and constant hanging when playing a game on its default settings.

My budget for parts is tentatively 500 dollars, but I'm willing to go a bit higher if necessary.

For those of you who remember how badly I struggled building this PC, I'm going to buy the parts and just give them to a computer maintenance store guy this time around.

Sounds more like an aging 7 install more than anything, likely formatting and reinstalling Windows would largely fix your performance issues.

But if you have Windows on a platter drive merely buying an SSD will be like a light speed upgrade.

NickBlasta fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 9, 2019

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
How much do I have to worry about memory timings/latency when buying RAM for a higher end Ryzen build? If it's 3600MHz is that gonna be more or less good enough?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

NickBlasta posted:

Sounds more like an aging 7 install more than anything, likely formatting and reinstalling Windows would largely fix your performance issues.

But if you have Windows on a platter drive merely buying an SSD will be like a light speed upgrade.

This could definitely be a good place to start. Windows 10 often performs better on older hardware than 7 does so it's worth upgrading, would also potentially resolve any issues caused by bloatware or junkware kicking around on your system. And moving to an SSD if you're not on one already will also give you a very noticeable boost. It's also worth considering picking up a 4790 used, a lot of games now seem to expect more than 4 cores so 4c/4t processors have been struggling while old i7 chips are still chugging along. The new Modern War is a good example, a lot of people with even 6th and 7th gen i5 chips are reporting performance issues (and IIRC even GN was seeing major stutter issues with a 9600k in RDR2) while my 3rd gen i7 seems to run it fine.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Stickman posted:

The gaming plus max and -a pro max are effectively the same board outside of aesthetic design and the -a pro’s vga port (which isn’t usable with a non-apu Ryzen anyway). Compared to the Tomahawk Max, they have two type-A usb 3.1 gen 2 ports instead of a type-A + type-C, and have a bit worse VRM cooling. The VRM difference isn’t enough to be important for a 3600x unless you’re attempting an extreme overclock, but 3rd-gen Ryzen doesn’t have enough overhead to make overclocking worthwhile anyway!

If you think the type-c port will be useful, stick with the Tomahawk and you’ll have a bit of extra juice if you drop in a more power-hungry chip down the line. If not, the -a pro or gaming plus are just fine!

Thanks Stickman! I think I'll just wait for the Tomahawk Max then. I don't really have a need for the ports, just trying to see if I can save $15 and in the process get my mobo in faster.

I figure the Tomahawk population is so large that I shouldn't run into any issues.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

The Milkman posted:

How much do I have to worry about memory timings/latency when buying RAM for a higher end Ryzen build? If it's 3600MHz is that gonna be more or less good enough?

Unless you're an enthusiast overclocker trying to get big numbers on synthetic benchmarks you don't really need to worry

eames
May 9, 2009

The Milkman posted:

If performance is a concern just make sure the RAM is on the motherboard's Qualified Vendors List (QVL) and enable XMP (or whatever the AMD equivalent is called at the moment). Running the standard JEDEC settings isn't super great for performance and buggy or unstable RAM profiles are a nightmare to debug.

QVL RAM also helps with support/warranty issues if problems arise.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Bryter posted:

Unless you're an enthusiast overclocker trying to get big numbers on synthetic benchmarks you don't really need to worry

I don't care about squeezing every last drop in an OC, I just want to make sure I'm not hamstringing it because I don't know what 18-19-19-20-36 vs 18-18-19-18-36 means

eames posted:

If performance is a concern just make sure the RAM is on the motherboard's Qualified Vendors List (QVL) and enable XMP (or whatever the AMD equivalent is called at the moment). Running the standard JEDEC settings isn't super great for performance and buggy or unstable RAM profiles are a nightmare to debug.

QVL RAM also helps with support/warranty issues if problems arise.

This I can manage

Thanks

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the sweet spot is actually 3200mhz and cas latency of 16 or lower. If the price is similar I'd get the cas 16 over the 18. You can get them for like $70 right now for 16 gigs.

https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-Ripj...75914357&sr=8-2

Gskill also has their own QVL list

https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/184/1562831134/F4-3600C16D-16GVKC-Qvl

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the sweet spot is actually 3200mhz and cas latency of 16 or lower. If the price is similar I'd get the cas 16 over the 18. You can get them for like $70 right now for 16 gigs.

https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-Ripj...75914357&sr=8-2

Gskill also has their own QVL list

https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/184/1562831134/F4-3600C16D-16GVKC-Qvl

FWIW, AMD say the Ryzen price/performance sweetspot for Ryzen 2 is 3600C15 or 3600C16

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's linked up-page but Gamers Nexus did some benchmarks and the gains fall into more the "measurable" range than the "perceivable" one, for gaming anyways.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bryter posted:

FWIW, AMD say the Ryzen price/performance sweetspot for Ryzen 2 is 3600C15 or 3600C16

AMD's statement wasn't about price, so far as I could tell - just a nebulous "sweet spot". There are sometimes one or two cheaper 3600/cl16 kits where you're only paying $15-20 over 3200/cl16, but when they're not available you'll be paying $50+ and the performance difference is so incredibly minor (in the situations where it exists at all) that it's tough to even recommend spending an extra $20.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I think this was the AMD slide from earlier in the year when the 3700X/3900X were being rolled out that mentions a sweet spot:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lurdiak posted:

Are you the goon who wanted to die because of the grief your build was giving you?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I just bought an i9-9900KF and I was wondering whether my old CPU cooler will cut it (I don't plan on overclocking it, at least for the time being).

For the record, this is my motherboard.

Is it ok or should I just get something better?

Elman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 9, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Elman posted:

Is it ok or should I just get something better?

Should be fine, it’s rated for 200W and the construction looks decent (copper base with heat pipes and a good amount of fins).
Keep a eye on temperatures, they should stay below 90C when stress testing. Chances are that they will stay below 80C with this cooler.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Mu Zeta posted:

You probably know more about processor requirements for your music production than people here. But you are getting a top notch processor so I can't imagine problems for most people. The only comment I have is that the Intel 660p is a budget drive that's not as durable as real drives like the Rocket Sabrent and HP EX920. Spend the extra $10 for 3 times the write durability.

Thanks. The HP EX920 actually appears to be slightly cheaper on Amazon right now, so that's a no brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
So I caught up on BF, and bought the below Monitor, and then decided I needed a new computer anyways. My Budget is $1500, in the USA. I don't do much other than streaming, post processing HDR via Madvr, a lot of web browsing where I never close any tabs. I am currently on 3570k, and have noticed some slowdown I never saw before when seeking while playing video file. This will be driving the Dell3418, and a 4K HDTV.

So this is the build I currently have on the way because they had deals available. I am only now researching the parts, and wanted to ask what yall would do?

I am keeping from old system:
Lian Li 330W- BNIB
650W EVGA G2
EVGA 1080 ti SC

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Bundle Pricing: $515.00

Storage: Western Digital Black NVMe 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($110)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($130.00) - not listed in mobo's qvl, but the 3200 with basically same stats otherwise is
Monitor: Dell AW3418DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor ($560.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1315

For this, I would probably sell the Samsung EVO Plus and hopefully get ~80 back. The mobo apparently have a bad reputation on reddit, and I am concerned about heating so if the mobo is indeed causing much more heat than others, I will have to switch it out.

Then I read this thread, and maybe my above plan wasn't the smartest? If i went with the Ryzen 5 3600($180), and b450 tomahawk($120) and substituted the bundle, I would save $200, but also lose that EVO Plus 500GB. If I sold that, it's abouve $120 savings really, it seems all the things I do, post processing video and other desktop stuff I do could use the extra cores, even if I am unlikely to ever reach that limit? that thought probly sounds dumb...

Femur fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 10, 2019