Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's probably my fault for saying "boobs", the game assumed I wanted to go down that road based on the association.

I got trapped into an endless loop of calling the police or considering calling the police and deciding not to, forever, so what you say early on can have a big effect on what it gives you later. For example:

quote:

You call the police and ask them to send an officer to your location. A policeman
arrives shortly after and tells you that they will send someone to your location
tomorrow. You thank him and ask him to let you sleep in your own bed tonight.

> Steal from officer
You agree to give him half of the money you took from the robber. He gives you
a piece of paper with your name written on it and the name of the robber's name
written on it. You thank him and say goodbye to him before leaving

You read the paper and see the name of the robber written on it. It reads "Cyrus".
You are shocked and confused as you look at the paper. You think about what
to do next. You think about calling the police again but realize that you don't
have any leads yet

> Find Cyrus
You call the police again and ask them to send an officer to your location. This
time the policeman arrives shortly after and tells you that they will send someone
to your location tomorrow. You thank him and ask him to let you sleep in your
own bed tonight.
> burn down house

You decide to burn down the house and call the police again. The policeman arrives
shortly after and tells you that they will send someone to your location tomorrow.
You thank him and say hello to him before leaving
> track down enemy

You call the police again and ask them to send an officer to your location. This
time the policeman arrives promptly. He asks you questions you and you answer
truthfully. You tell him the robber's name and where he lives

> Sneak away
You run away and hide in the process you break several windows and doors in the
process. You think about calling the police again but realize that you don't
have anything to report

> find robber's house
time the policeman arrives shortly after and tells you that they will send someone
to your location tomorrow. You thank him and say hello to him before leaving

and so on. I really appreciate the touch of them sending over an officer to let me know that they'll send over an officer later.

TheHan posted:

I’m actually...interested? In what this Orc wants. Obviously not the pages since they‘ve clearly been worthless this whole time, but maybe Snout will unwittingly lead him back to the Ink Witch and there’ll be tension as we see our hero traveling with a known danger.

I'm interested but not so much in a "invested in the story" way as a "I genuinely have no idea where this is going" way. Right now I genuinely can't think of what Snout currently has that anyone could possibly want, except for the magic piece of paper which the orc has already shown no interest in. All he's really done is assemble what appears to be a children's book with some vague and not especially useful knowledge.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zinkraptor posted:

and so on. I really appreciate the touch of them sending over an officer to let me know that they'll send over an officer later.

Myself, I am intrigued by the fact that the robber's name has, in turn, its own name. Nameception.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I tried to start a family by turning a tree into a woman and a bird into a baby but I kept getting "yes yes yes".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RandomPauI posted:

I tried to start a family by turning a tree into a woman and a bird into a baby but I kept getting "yes yes yes".

Were you trying to name the bird Jolyne?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

RandomPauI posted:

I chose the name "Bort," went out with a Pesant girl named Gwen, and found out that the King had sent an assassin named 'Bort" to come and kill me. I told him, "My name is Bort, not yours. Go away" and he did, and I subsequently found out that I had somehow killed him and Gwen had vanished.

I searched for Gwen in the woods, couldn't find her, gave up, killed myself, decided to come back to life, found Gwen's skeleton, resurrected her, buried her body, married her, had a child, and lived happily ever after. Yes, in that order.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Still a better love story than Dominic and Luna.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Zinkraptor posted:

I'm interested but not so much in a "invested in the story" way as a "I genuinely have no idea where this is going" way. Right now I genuinely can't think of what Snout currently has that anyone could possibly want, except for the magic piece of paper which the orc has already shown no interest in. All he's really done is assemble what appears to be a children's book with some vague and not especially useful knowledge.

I'm going to guess that whatever Dominic saw is something that people are fighting to possess or suppress, explaining Ink Witch's state at the start of the chapter. Orc Wizard recognized what the page he had was talking about and let Snout have it so that he could follow him back to his cave to get at the rest of his coveted/forbidden Deegan lore.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Dominic found that the "end of prophecy" is because all prophecy is generated by an ultra-powerful seer who lives in the heart of magic and sends out visions, but that seer is dying, so dominic valiantly took his place, so we can get an old wise sage dominic later.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Nighthand posted:

Dominic found that the "end of prophecy" is because all prophecy is generated by an ultra-powerful seer who lives in the heart of magic and sends out visions, but that seer is dying, so dominic valiantly took his place, so we can get an old wise sage dominic later.
Oh god damnit, there's going to be mental dialogue later isn't there?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, one of the few things I still remember from the original Deegan was one of his students from the “now I’m a grumpy teacher” arc doing his homework and realizing that a ton of major prophecies from all over the world just so happened to all be made on the exact same day, despite originating from all sorts of different cultures. I forget if that ever actually had any payoff, or if it was one of those few genuinely interesting plot hooks Mookie made that he then quietly forgot about in favor of puffing up Dominic’s ego.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

If I remember correctly that was just Dominic saying something like "Wow, great job, that's something older students are TAUGHT but you found that on your own" and that's it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

See, in the hands of the right author, that could at least be some kind of foreshadowing, if not the central question for a mystery that the characters try to solve. Instead, it’s really briefly brought up, and then just... never gets explored ever again?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If there's one thing this thread has proven, it's that Mookie retains his mastery of wasted potential.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Why did I believe.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Death boops are the best drama

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...That is some prime material for editing into you know what.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Flashback time!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Dear journal,

Today I learned that Dominic Deegan, who I only care about because he gave some books to the open-air library that is pretty much the only thing I have in my life, was, 200 years ago, booped on the nose by an orc. So exciting!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Warming up that "Dom is perfect" square.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maybe this time he'll have a dream sequence that's more than one panel!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I will rescind every criticism I've ever made of Mookie if Wednesday's strip is Snout waking up without having had a flashback to find his clothes stolen and his cave destroyed and the orc nowhere to be seen.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I know we're supposed to assume he wrote that second message right then, but without the plot contrivance of the ink magic, snout furiously scribbling out that message with a brush and ink seems dumb and implausible to me.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Little Death posted:

I know we're supposed to assume he wrote that second message right then, but without the plot contrivance of the ink magic, snout furiously scribbling out that message with a brush and ink seems dumb and implausible to me.

He wrote it there and then and the Orc waited patiently giving him a thumbs up the whole time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

YF-23 posted:

He wrote it there and then and the Orc waited patiently giving him a thumbs up the whole time.

Oh god I didn't even think about that

Even the small details are so bad

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Regalingualius posted:

...That is some prime material for editing into you know what.
As OP, I am placing a moritorium on jazz hands. We all had a good laugh, but it's really gross and there's plenty of other material to riff.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Let's be honest, the Doom Boop is way funnier.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oh, I really don’t disagree at all, considering how... tasteless the original strip already was.

Really, DD was largely solidly mediocre with a few kernels of good ideas that another writer probably could have executed better... And a few arcs and individual strips that made you wonder “what the gently caress, Mookie?”

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

As OP, I am placing a moritorium on jazz hands. We all had a good laugh, but it's really gross and there's plenty of other material to riff.
... I thought they meant dickbutt.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tfw it was easier to draw a fist when not an artist than it was to edit that mangled hand to look like a fist

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"Dear diary,
when I was passed out I met Dominic Deegan. I could hear him and talk to him because it was a dream"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Get ready for more gratuitous dong shots, since Snout is always naked in his dreams, as he continuously mentions in his personal diary.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bets that Deegan et al will talk in the flashback, but it totally doesn't count because "it's a vision."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’d be a fun gag if someone tries speaking to him in the dreamscape... And he has no idea what they’re saying, because he’s only ever known the written word.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Doing a comic without dialogue stretched Mookie's creativity not by forcing him to express meaning through art alone, but by having to come up with a dozen different ways to insert text in his comic without technically being dialogue.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ague Proof posted:

Doing a comic without dialogue stretched Mookie's creativity not by forcing him to express meaning through art alone, but by having to come up with a dozen different ways to insert text in his comic without technically being dialogue.

Except written word conversation is absolutely dialogue in the technical and literal sense of the word.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
You're correct, soundless comic fits better.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Too bad Mookie himself specified dialogue!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

SardonicTyrant posted:

I thought they meant replacing panel 4 with dwarf.jpg