Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Been watching some scenes from the prequel trilogy since I haven't seen any of the movies in over a decade.

Yikes these CGI scenes have aged terribly. Not as bad as the late 90's revamps of the OG trilogy, but that gets a bit of a pass since the tech was still in its newborn stages.

Everything looks like low-end video game cutscenes in these prequels, especially in Attack of the Clones. Didn't these flicks have a small army doing the computer work for these things? I'd say maybe they should try and tighten up the rendering of some of these scenes, but they're also not great movies in general so it'd feel like a waste of resources :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It does seem odd they've not done a version with redone CGI, now you mention it, especially with how much they're pushing rehabilitating the prequels.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Reminder of what video game cutscenes in 2000 actually looked like since the stupid meme has returned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt0jCgxIhrI

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Shiroc posted:

Reminder of what video game cutscenes in 2000 actually looked like since the stupid meme has returned:

This isn't really fair to Attack of the Clones--those Diablo cutscenes were a cut above.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

No, AOTC isn’t photorealistic up to today’s standards and some shots are kinda iffy, but I really love the sleek 50’s look it has and the art direction definitely leans into that surreal, chromatic style. That look is also pretty much limited to places like Coruscant and Kamino.

If it isn’t your taste, fine, but it was state of the art craftsmanship for 2002.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah that old dude in the beginning looks like Yoda

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I actually rewatched the podrace sequence recently and while I can't vouch for the rest of the effects on TPM, the race absolutely looks like it could stand against modern effects.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
IIRC, most if not all of the environments in the pod race are miniatures, and only the pods themselves (and some of the drivers, obviously) are CG.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
And the sound helps a lot too like remember how Sebulba's car was all wututututu

That was sick.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Not true. For example, those buttes and spires anakin weaves through early in the race are (simple, by our modern perspective) geometric models with photos laid over and blurred appropriately for the proper speed. There’s lots of other parts of the track like that, but it’s a convincing effect.

About 40 seconds in:

https://youtu.be/xbAV4dO8gvM

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 9, 2019

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Shiroc posted:

It is stupid but I love prequel hater logic

Surely my case is stronger the more I pretend to not know what I'm talking about!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shiroc posted:

drat the Diablo 2 cinematics were really good (unlike the prequels).

"I am not the Archangel Tyrael" is so goddamn slick.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Parrotine posted:

Been watching some scenes from the prequel trilogy since I haven't seen any of the movies in over a decade.

Yikes these CGI scenes have aged terribly. Not as bad as the late 90's revamps of the OG trilogy, but that gets a bit of a pass since the tech was still in its newborn stages.

Everything looks like low-end video game cutscenes in these prequels, especially in Attack of the Clones. Didn't these flicks have a small army doing the computer work for these things? I'd say maybe they should try and tighten up the rendering of some of these scenes, but they're also not great movies in general so it'd feel like a waste of resources :shrug:

if only George Lucas had listened to your sage advice and tightened up the graphics on level 3

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

cargohills posted:

if only George Lucas had listened to your sage advice and tightened up the graphics on level 3

We both know George fired anyone who even remotely questioned his decisions back in the day, nothing but a platoon of yes men fearful of losing their livelihoods remained

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/JordanMaison/status/1204073646920220674?s=19

Fan culture is a disease.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Can't they just... do that, already? As long as they don't profit from it?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Motherfucking vampire demon and face melting?

Aw heck yeah.

Ark of the Covenant CONFIRMED.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Parrotine posted:

We both know George fired anyone who even remotely questioned his decisions back in the day, nothing but a platoon of yes men fearful of losing their livelihoods remained

I didn't know that, source?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This tweet needs a link to the comments. I gotta know if even reddit just shits in this dummy's mouth or if they're all nodding sagely.

Gonz posted:

Motherfucking vampire demon and face melting?

Aw heck yeah.

lmao

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Light cussing! Mildly upsetting scenes! IMPALEMENTS!

This deal keeps getting worse better all the time.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Waiting warmly for the context of the usage of 'rear end'

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Palpatine: “And now, Kylo Ren, I shall whoop your rear end!”

*shoots force lightning at Kylo’s face, melting it off*

Palpatine: “Hahahahahah, ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!”

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

No Mods No Masters posted:

Poe: Yo mamma's rear end is so big when she sits around the house she sits AROUND the house.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Is the acting that bad in the actual episode?

Worse. But it's mostly because the writing is incredibly bad.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Shiroc posted:

This is still Very Good, because despite the massive limitations of tech, it actually tries to tell a story visually and is full of atmosphere and vibe.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

AlternateAccount posted:

Worse. But it's mostly because the writing is incredibly bad.

I thought it was supposed to be The Great Saviour Of The Star Wars? Is that just 'compared to the films'?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

This is still Very Good, because despite the massive limitations of tech, it actually tries to tell a story visually and is full of atmosphere and vibe.

Same, but the prequels.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

lofi posted:

I thought it was supposed to be The Great Saviour Of The Star Wars? Is that just 'compared to the films'?

It's still pretty good overall. There's been a pretty wide gap between the best and worst eps already, though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

weekly font posted:

This tweet needs a link to the comments. I gotta know if even reddit just shits in this dummy's mouth or if they're all nodding sagely.
The comments are all dumping on the idea.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

lofi posted:

It is aggressively okay. Hopefully they hit their stride before the season is over, the quality has been all over the place. If anything it shows that people are really hungry for Star Wars stories that aren't the same Jedi/Rebellion-Empire/Sith endless back and forth.

Apparently people are losing their poo poo and calling Boyega "ungrateful" and a "flop" for making a joke about how his parents liked PacRim 2 more than Star Wars, as well as admitting that TLJ didn't live up to expectations for various reasons and wasn't as fun to make as the other films.

https://twitter.com/DeadHorseMedia/status/1203226984928731142

https://twitter.com/lordsoftheseth/status/1204110389883146241

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So they're really retiring everyone from this trilogy?

How did Disney gently caress things up this loving bad? Jesus christ.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why does disneys blandness work in marvel but not in star wars?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Uncle Wemus posted:

They're adapting comic stories in marvel but trying to come up with original stories in star wars. Which led to them just adapting the original movies since they can't make anything new

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

mastershakeman posted:

They're adapting comic stories in marvel but trying to come up with original stories in star wars. Which led to them just adapting the original movies since they can't make anything new

They CAN make something new, they're just terrified to.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

weekly font posted:

They CAN make something new, they're just terrified to.

I don't think corporate allows it, which is why we see time jumps (blip in marvel, beginning of tfa) they have completely inexplicable settings beyond "this is how things are , move on" . Same with most of the terrorist stuff in rogue one getting edited out

The funny thing is they could have just adapted star wars books like they adapted marvel comics,but didn't want to since eps 1-6 are original (albeit heavily influenced by other sources)

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

ThanosWasRight posted:

So they're really retiring everyone from this trilogy?

How did Disney gently caress things up this loving bad? Jesus christ.

In the case of Boyega and Isaac, I have the feeling they weren't too happy about playing 'goofy black guy comic relief' and 'hotheaded, misogynistic Latino.'

mastershakeman posted:

I don't think corporate allows it, which is why we see time jumps (blip in marvel, beginning of tfa) they have completely inexplicable settings beyond "this is how things are , move on" . Same with most of the terrorist stuff in rogue one getting edited out

The funny thing is they could have just adapted star wars books like they adapted marvel comics,but didn't want to since eps 1-6 are original (albeit heavily influenced by other sources)

Adapting the books might mean using designs from the OT and PT, which means paying Lucas.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Horizon Burning posted:

In the case of Boyega and Isaac, I have the feeling they weren't too happy about playing 'goofy black guy comic relief' and 'hotheaded, misogynistic Latino.'

How much of this was Abrams and how much of it was Johnson?

(answer: Disney)

I agree, I think they really hosed up their characters. Keeping them as a trio that worked off if each other would have been awesome, and if Disney didn’t poo poo their pants over China or whatever we coulda gotten some real representation.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's very hard to say whether the actors wanted out or whether disney wanted them out. The actors may or may not be happy about how it all worked out, but scorched earth approaches to keeping actors from getting any leverage are thoroughly disney SOP

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If Rey, Poe, and Finn prove to be marketable brands Disney will probably hire Ridley, Isaacs, and Boyega back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Uncle Wemus posted:

Because nobody gives a poo poo about the source material for Marvel, but the people star wars is targeted at already have a very strong idea of what Star Wars is supposed to be like.