Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://mobile.twitter.com/RealRossU/status/1203442628726906880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
FREE ROSS
over a quarter million given away to date!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Soricidus posted:

welcome to the byzantine general store

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

Drawing from Ross. Made in prison.
Thank you to all of you who have signed.
lmao he cannot stop sucking himself off

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
also mega lomarf that they think a petition will do anything at all when fuckin mumia is still behind bars

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

lol

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
*looking at box of free rosses* I'm going to gently caress the free rosses

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

welcome to the byzantine general store

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

CampingCarl posted:

i wonder how the definition of virtual currency will get narrowed. there are lots of things that aren't really a unit of account but in practice are treated as such or are easily exchanged for something that is. then there were places that let you buy/sell hats with bitcoin which i imagine is something that should get taxed at some point in the process. i am really curious how all that works if there is another thread on the topic outside of bitcoiners getting mad at men with guns.
a good starting point would be the purpose of the token in question, and not merely taking the creators' word for it. bitcoin describes itself as a currency, so there's that. ethereum describes itself as a token for exchange and to do other techbro messianic bullshit, so it fits. dogecoin was described as a joke but since on the whole it traded like a speculative vehicle with a settled value at any given moment in time, then yeah. the primary purpose of wow gold is to pay repair costs when you die in the game and also buy fake gear that can't really be traded, so we'd exclude it. that should narrow it down reasonably well while still catching a pretty broad net. anythign else would be figured out on a case by case basis, but that's usually how it works anyway in the real world. consider a gift of a gold ring, versus being paid in gold krueggerrands versus buying a gold certificate entitling you to a bar of the stuff stored in a vault somewhere; all three would be treated differently even though the thing giving it value is exactly the same.

the thing is the irs is actually pretty good about this, and if it weren't for the deliberate hamstringing by republicans there'd be little question this would be sorted out reasonably well.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

actually bitcoin isn't a currency it's a store of valu-oh wait you're also taxing that? uhh it's a bird bath foundation

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

Things with absolute scarcity are the only way to save, with interest rates this low. Gold, Bitcoin. Own both.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
there are things even scarcer than gold or bitcoin that people give no value to. why?

note that answering this question might make you realize your digital dunning-kruggerands are worthless

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Suspicious posted:

there are things even scarcer than gold or bitcoin that people give no value to. why?

they arent on the blockchain

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

:siren: people living in areas with hyperinflating currencies are flocking to bitcoin in droves!! :smug:

btcsa 19 points 11 hours ago

I just got back from Argentina where I was there for a month traveling. I went with bitcoin to sell to fund my travels. Did not sell any.

I expected tons of people to be wanting bitcoin. It was not like that. Hardly anyone knew what it was, and the ones who did, were not keen to buy from me. Even when I offered it at a discount price, just so that I could get pesos to pay for things on my holiday, they were not interested. I joined facebook groups and chatted to people there who were mostly scammers looking for me to send bitcoin first....no person wanted to meet face to face for cash. I joined Telegram groups and those guys were more interested, but none of the guys I chatted to actually followed through. The best I could get was to have some of them suggest I just go and sell it on a bitcoin ATM. I did go and find an ATM, but was not able to sell bitcoin with it since it was not working properly.

Was a bit of a bummer for me, since I was really hoping to sell some bitcoin there to fund things.

Why has Bitcoin failed to become the #1 currency in Venezuela? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 6 hours ago by currency_use_case

the competition doesn't get any easier guys. The Bolivar is the easiest currency in the world to beat. Why hasn't Bitcoin or any other currency become #1 in Venezuela?

currency_use_case[S] 0 points 5 hours ago

"local bitcoins has good volume but it is used among the affluent that actually have money"

What if the non-affuent put just 1% of their monthly income into Bitcoin?

"Bolivars are so worthless that monthly wages would barely pay for fees to use bitcoin and people need to eat so they spend immediately."

That's a vicious circle that keeps the Bolivar going. A transition marketing campaign of people switching 1% of their monthly income to Bitcoin is an idea of something to do

"Bolivars are so worthless that monthly wages would barely pay for fees to use bitcoin"

With the amount they are saving in purchasing power, they could afford to pay a few cents USD in fees

castorfromtheva 1 point 5 hours ago

Because most people don't trust anything they don't understand. Which in case of bitcoin is maths in the first place.

BTC-brother2018 1 point 5 hours ago

They need to get the infrastructure in place so employers can start paying their workers in bitcoin.

currency_use_case[S] 2 points 5 hours ago

have to start gradually. Example , start offering paycheques in BTC (employees can elect if they want Bolivars or BTC)

shanita10 1 point 2 hours ago

Who says it hasn't ?

cointastical 1 point 2 hours ago

For a number of people in Venezuela, bitcoin is their #1 currency.

JosceOfGloucester 2 points 6 hours ago

Great question.

Mark_Bearredditor for 3 months 1 point 5 hours ago

I second this.

:thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

mass adoption bithc

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

...! posted:

:siren: people living in areas with hyperinflating currencies are flocking to bitcoin in droves!! :smug:

btcsa 19 points 11 hours ago

I just got back from Argentina where I was there for a month traveling. I went with bitcoin to sell to fund my travels. Did not sell any.

I expected tons of people to be wanting bitcoin. It was not like that. Hardly anyone knew what it was, and the ones who did, were not keen to buy from me. Even when I offered it at a discount price, just so that I could get pesos to pay for things on my holiday, they were not interested. I joined facebook groups and chatted to people there who were mostly scammers looking for me to send bitcoin first....no person wanted to meet face to face for cash. I joined Telegram groups and those guys were more interested, but none of the guys I chatted to actually followed through. The best I could get was to have some of them suggest I just go and sell it on a bitcoin ATM. I did go and find an ATM, but was not able to sell bitcoin with it since it was not working properly.

Was a bit of a bummer for me, since I was really hoping to sell some bitcoin there to fund things.

Why has Bitcoin failed to become the #1 currency in Venezuela? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 6 hours ago by currency_use_case

the competition doesn't get any easier guys. The Bolivar is the easiest currency in the world to beat. Why hasn't Bitcoin or any other currency become #1 in Venezuela?

"local bitcoins has good volume but it is used among the affluent that actually have money"

"Bolivars are so worthless that monthly wages would barely pay for fees to use bitcoin and people need to eat so they spend immediately."

That's a vicious circle that keeps the Bolivar going. A transition marketing campaign of people switching 1% of their monthly income to Bitcoin is an idea of something to do

"Bolivars are so worthless that monthly wages would barely pay for fees to use bitcoin"

With the amount they are saving in purchasing power, they could afford to pay a few cents USD in fees

castorfromtheva 1 point 5 hours ago

Because most people don't trust anything they don't understand. Which in case of bitcoin is maths in the first place.

BTC-brother2018 1 point 5 hours ago

They need to get the infrastructure in place so employers can start paying their workers in bitcoin.

currency_use_case[S] 2 points 5 hours ago

have to start gradually. Example , start offering paycheques in BTC (employees can elect if they want Bolivars or BTC)

shanita10 1 point 2 hours ago

Who says it hasn't ?

cointastical 1 point 2 hours ago

For a number of people in Venezuela, bitcoin is their #1 currency.

JosceOfGloucester 2 points 6 hours ago

Great question.

Mark_Bearredditor for 3 months 1 point 5 hours ago

I second this.

:thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk:

lmao

reddit told me everyone in venezuela would be queueing up to suck me off for a few satoshis! why was i not treated like royalty, reddit? you told me i would be king!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hammerite posted:

lmao

reddit told me everyone in venezuela would be queueing up to suck me off for a few satoshis! why was i not treated like royalty, reddit? you told me i would be king!

well for starters he went to Argentina

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Midjack posted:

well for starters he went to Argentina

I don't read, or think about things

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hammerite posted:

I don't read, or think about things

you're in the right forum, tbh

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Suspicious posted:

note that answering this question might make you realize your digital dunning-kruggerands are worthless

i’m hoarding helium right now

guest room smells weird

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

AlbieQuirky posted:

guest room smells weird

vocal pitch going up uP UP

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

lol if you don't live hundreds of metres below sea level and breath helium all the time

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

lol if you don't live hundreds of metres below sea level and breath helium all the time

:vince:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Boxturret posted:

when the climate change flood apocalypse destroys civilisation and renders both dollars and bitcoins worthless, I shall live like a king in my underwater helium dome, and all the haters will serve me or drown

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Soricidus posted:

when the climate change flood apocalypse destroys civilisation and renders both dollars and bitcoins worthless, I shall live like a king in my underwater helium dome, and all the haters will serve me or drown

:wrong:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

kw0134 posted:

a good starting point would be the purpose of the token in question, and not merely taking the creators' word for it. bitcoin describes itself as a currency, so there's that. ethereum describes itself as a token for exchange and to do other techbro messianic bullshit, so it fits. dogecoin was described as a joke but since on the whole it traded like a speculative vehicle with a settled value at any given moment in time, then yeah. the primary purpose of wow gold is to pay repair costs when you die in the game and also buy fake gear that can't really be traded, so we'd exclude it. that should narrow it down reasonably well while still catching a pretty broad net. anythign else would be figured out on a case by case basis, but that's usually how it works anyway in the real world. consider a gift of a gold ring, versus being paid in gold krueggerrands versus buying a gold certificate entitling you to a bar of the stuff stored in a vault somewhere; all three would be treated differently even though the thing giving it value is exactly the same.

the thing is the irs is actually pretty good about this, and if it weren't for the deliberate hamstringing by republicans there'd be little question this would be sorted out reasonably well.
i understand in general if it walks like a :honked:and talks like a :honked: it will get taxed as a :honked:, no matter how much you say it is a :gerard:. my mind is more on the topic of things where the intended purpose of the token is not a currency or store of value but end up being one. some steam items are good examples, those vaporware games that promised to put your items on a blockchain so evil admins couldnt take your items could be another if they existed. your example of the gold items being treated differently confuses me a bit on this unless i misunderstood, as i would think in general if the value is the same the irs would tax them the same.

im sure the irs could figure it all out, lobbyists and such aside, and probably dont have the resources to nail down every edge case. its something ive been wondering about for a while with people paying stupid money for hats, valve collecting tax information (which i cant find good info on how it is taxed, just they report to irs) and keys being used as money laundering, evading currency controls, scams etc. which is a familiar set of use cases for this thread.

...! posted:

i would love to see these idiots go out on the street marketing "you poors would be rich if you just bought bitcoin instead of food".

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
what happened to the petro

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

according to wikipedia:

To all our readers in Canada,
It might be awkward, but please don't scroll past this. We'll cut to the chase: This Tuesday we humbly ask you to defend Wikipedia's independence. 98% of our readers don't give; they simply look the other way. We depend on donations from the exceptional readers who give. If you donate just $2.75, Wikipedia could keep thriving for years to come. Most people donate for a simple reason—because Wikipedia is useful. If Wikipedia gave you $2.75 worth of knowledge this year, take a minute to donate. Show the volunteers working to bring you access to reliable, neutral information that their work matters to you. Thank you.

i don't know what that has to do with bitcoin though...

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Soricidus posted:

among other things, the us treasury dropped the hammer on the russian bank that was going to underwrite it

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

CampingCarl posted:

i understand in general if it walks like a :honked:and talks like a :honked: it will get taxed as a :honked:, no matter how much you say it is a :gerard:. my mind is more on the topic of things where the intended purpose of the token is not a currency or store of value but end up being one. some steam items are good examples, those vaporware games that promised to put your items on a blockchain so evil admins couldnt take your items could be another if they existed. your example of the gold items being treated differently confuses me a bit on this unless i misunderstood, as i would think in general if the value is the same the irs would tax them the same.
the majority use case is what i'm aiming at. yeah, you can use tf hats to launder money or whatever, but so can any number of things which purport to have value, so the average gamer wouldn't need to declare them. but if you somehow make a bunch of money off them, that's income and it would be treated as such (in much the same way that any income-producing activity would be). remember at the end of day, you're trying to get people to declare the things that would let the irs go "yeah, that's income, gimme". lots of trivial things are theoretically taxable but are not because, well, they're trivial. (example: i had to declare the $15 of interest my escrow account made, and was taxed $2.10 for it, because the bank revealed it to the irs. otherwise it would not have been worth the effort to track down.) by making wannabe daytraders declare their crypto holdings the irs is saying they got their eyes on you. and of course those things actually have to have value; vaporware games that throw in "blockchain" aren't a target because they're illiquid "assets" of no real worth to anyone outside a restricted circle of users.

the example of gold is to illustrate that you can have gold be non-taxable (because it's a gift, and would count against lifetime totals), or as straight wages, or as investments which may have favorable tax treatment. you'd think that they should be all the same, but i can give real examples where they are not.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Soricidus posted:

I realise leaving the house and talking to people is cheating, but it can pay off

on thursday I spoke to an actual Venezuelan (who is a big fan of my book, so obviously an intelligent gentleman of taste)

the real use case for cryptos would be expat Venezuelans sending money - meaning dollars - home.

this is apparently a fraught endeavour - you send stuff from account to account, there's a step or two that's "i know a guy", etc

... and this is still easier than it would be with bitcoins

and - there is no evidence that petros even exist. you cannot buy one. they're legal tender, but first get one fucko.

Gazpacho posted:

among other things, the us treasury dropped the hammer on the russian bank that was going to underwrite it

ooh got details on this? I missed it

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

fuckin statists

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

guest room smells weird

don't get it near your iphone

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chris Knight posted:

don't get it near your iphone

I forgot about this, owns

...!
Oct 5, 2003

ross does long-winded ta from prison, predicts $100,000 bitcoin soon :allears:

https://medium.com/@RossUlbricht/bitcoin-by-ross-read-this-first-6adde19066ad

his handwritten charts are loving incredible

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol they've made a #BitcoinByRoss hashtag

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

ross does long-winded ta from prison, predicts $100,000 bitcoin soon :allears:

https://medium.com/@RossUlbricht/bitcoin-by-ross-read-this-first-6adde19066ad

his handwritten charts are loving incredible

quote:

Counting waves in hindsight is fairly straightforward. Counting them as they develop is much more challenging, but much more rewarding.
lomarf it's almost like technical analysis is post-hoc bullshit and arbitrary conjecture

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 10, 2019

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

predicting the past is easy, the future though is much more difficult

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Sham bam bamina! posted:

lomarf it's almost like technical analysis is post-hoc bullshit and arbitrary conjecture

but you don't understand. free ross had a hunch that it would go up, and he didn't tell anyone (because he was busy expressing no remorse and being convicted), but then it did go up. that means it wasn't actually a hunch but the work of a genius piercing the veil of the fourth dimension and glimpsing the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

convicted imprisoned axe murderer writes article for axe lovers monthly