Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

SerSpook posted:

and now we discuss how to sheathe the sword

son, sheathing your sword is completely natural. there's just a time and a place

As I've said I love the audiobooks, but the way Kate Reading pronounces "patina" bothers the hell out of me. Also once she says "secreted" in the way that does not mean "hid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Eww

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
There are definitely some weird and inconsistent pronunciations during the audiobooks. I would love if they'd go back and fix some of it. But they probably never will re-record the books because of the length and expense.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Moghedien is like the biggest example, I think they use 3 different pronunciations and often within the same book.

One thing I've noticed now that I'm into book 10 is that the accents of the various nations have developed heavily vs what they were in the first few volumes in the audiobooks. In the first handful, there's some speech pattern differences but the general accents are the same, and now it's like... Illianers are Scottish, and it's kind of weird. Taraboners have a weird accent like they're ESL students almost?

The Seanchan slur is consistent, at least.

Still very much love (and prefer?) the audiobooks though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ok I just got up to Mat's letter and it was good

Where is the best place to find the audiobooks?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The best use of audiobooks ever was Tamora Pierce's work. She had them done with a full cast of voice actors, like a radio play or something. More people should do that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ok I just got up to Mat's letter and it was good

Where is the best place to find the audiobooks?

Audible has them, but they're very expensive if you aren't using the subscription credits.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pleads posted:

Moghedien is like the biggest example, I think they use 3 different pronunciations and often within the same book.

One thing I've noticed now that I'm into book 10 is that the accents of the various nations have developed heavily vs what they were in the first few volumes in the audiobooks. In the first handful, there's some speech pattern differences but the general accents are the same, and now it's like... Illianers are Scottish, and it's kind of weird. Taraboners have a weird accent like they're ESL students almost?

My favorite one is how wildly different Aludra's accent is in TGH compared literally every single book afterwards.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pleads posted:

Nah the illian accent is pirates.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Kate's pronunciation of Mesaana really bugs. I've listened to at least some of the books a few times and I never get used to it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

The best use of audiobooks ever was Tamora Pierce's work. She had them done with a full cast of voice actors, like a radio play or something. More people should do that.

The Deathlands series does this as well. Graphic Audio made them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

rafikki posted:

Kate's pronunciation of Mesaana really bugs. I've listened to at least some of the books a few times and I never get used to it.

I can't conjure it in my head. What's the issue?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

silvergoose posted:

I know it's spelled with two As in a row, but the way Kate draws it out grates on me for some reason. Mesaaaaana

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

silvergoose posted:

She enunciates both a's individually, and drawls the last one. It's something like Mess-ah-awna. It sounds like it should have an apostrophe in there somewhere.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

What's wrong with that

Basically the Japanese double vowel

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The glossary has it as meh-SAH-nah.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Artonos posted:

There are definitely some weird and inconsistent pronunciations during the audiobooks. I would love if they'd go back and fix some of it. But they probably never will re-record the books because of the length and expense.

Moiraine/Moirenne, I remember in book 10 somewhere I think the normal Padan Fain-Fahn in the same sentence. what a hell of a gig though. "Sal-dayyyyyyyyah"

It'd be cool if there was some sort of voice over featuring MKKR on the show, if it's not Loial.

As far as Seanchan I for sure want them to sound like Deep Texans on the show, but I imagine when they went to try it for the audiobooks they couldn't stop laughing. I've tried it out loud in the car and it's real hard not to put the Music Of Dixie in that accent

Brolander fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 9, 2019

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I demand the Texan accent because I am so loving sick of fantasy shows making everyone British.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Atlas Hugged posted:

I demand the Texan accent because I am so loving sick of fantasy shows making everyone British.

:same:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Holy gently caress I forgot this in Towers of Midnight

Elayne, after getting thousands killed or injured trying to take on the Black, does it AGAIN and gets hosed up again. Now I understand the hate for her.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yep. She makes such, such bad decisions, constantly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's been long enough since I read it that I'd forgotten all about it, so I was kinda going well she is tough, competent, and dedicated, I don't see the problem. Then she goes back to Caemlyn and loses her mind.

Huh. After she gets pregnant. I wonder if RJ was doing a 'pregnant bitches be whack, yo' thing?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nah, she was meant as a "stuck up princess never sees consequences, keeps being stuck up, keeps never seeing consequences".

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

From memory she literally thought she had a hero shield because she had a prophecy that said that her kids would be born healthy and happy, took that to mean "nothing bad can happen to me while I'm pregnant" and completely forgot that the kids didn't need her to be healthy and happy to be born

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yep that's right.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

And that was even after she was warned multiple times of the giant hole in her logic and she went ahead and did it anyway.

Next time I reread, I'm going to try to keep a running count how many Andorans would still be alive if Elayne had supported Dyelin instead of vice-versa.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

From what I recall her action that got thousands of people killed there was not actually dumb though? Unlike some of other other actions she definitely performed.

She did not just charge in by herself as soon as she had confirmation of where the black were, instead she spied on them, determined which of her supposed allies were suspects, then moved in to attack with a three Aes Sedai linked group for each known enemy, something that also trapped the suspected traitors from acting whilst using their strength. The plan hosed up anyway but it was pretty solid in itself.

Idiocy would have been her going all 'rar, I have an Angreal and am strong, I can take two chumps!' and going in by herself. But that would actually have worked out better given it would not have lead to her entire group of Aes Sedai getting murked.

Edit: To be fair there was the same idiocy that afflicted everyone in the later books. You can travel! In this situation, just phone home to Egwene and get like 40 sisters to go on a day excursion to help crushinate the enemy.

Patrat fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 9, 2019

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

You have access to the world of dreams and traveling, and yet somehow you aren't just opening gates in bad people's heads.

A problem with WoT if you think too hard about it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Anias posted:

You have access to the world of dreams and traveling, and yet somehow you aren't just opening gates in bad people's heads.

A problem with WoT if you think too hard about it.

Once Sanderson takes over, he starts breaking the magic system

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Patrat posted:

From what I recall her action that got thousands of people killed there was not actually dumb though? Unlike some of other other actions she definitely performed.

She did not just charge in by herself as soon as she had confirmation of where the black were, instead she spied on them, determined which of her supposed allies were suspects, then moved in to attack with a three Aes Sedai linked group for each known enemy, something that also trapped the suspected traitors from acting whilst using their strength. The plan hosed up anyway but it was pretty solid in itself.

Idiocy would have been her going all 'rar, I have an Angreal and am strong, I can take two chumps!' and going in by herself. But that would actually have worked out better given it would not have lead to her entire group of Aes Sedai getting murked.

Edit: To be fair there was the same idiocy that afflicted everyone in the later books. You can travel! In this situation, just phone home to Egwene and get like 40 sisters to go on a day excursion to help crushinate the enemy.

"GEE IT SURE IS A SHAME THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF US IN THIS HOUSE" I say, standing at a door in the hopes no one will overhear

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Seriously, that's almost a direct quote.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RC Cola posted:

Once Sanderson takes over, he starts breaking the magic system

Was it Sanderson who did the hey check it out we have google maps now bit?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yes

And the volcano thingy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Yes

And the volcano thingy.

I liked the gate cannons

Simple, yet effective!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly I thought they worked well within the theme of "these damned SAVAGES keep doing impossible things"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah opening the volcano gate was cool as hell tbh

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Libluini posted:

I liked the gate cannons

Simple, yet effective!

Those were good. I got really annoyed at the whole “super noble only good at making gates ashaman “ because if you’ve ever read any of his other books that is pure Sanderson and sticks out like a sore thumb on rereads.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think even in the Jordan books Flinn wasn't even strong enough to make a gate but was incredibly good at it, so much that his were bigger than everyone else's.

Iirc

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just look at this gates’ girth Rand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

How many of them are gay, given the uh pillow friends in the white tower