Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Tanith posted:

Well thank you for saving me the trouble of having to find it myself!

I think the weirdest thing about going from 1st to 4th gen is the absence of any real bezel on the bottom means the keyboard is that much lower, so I'm holding the phone in a way that feels more top-heavy.

If you're using the default keyboard, try SwiftKey or something. It has some customization options so it might help you out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Heads up, pop into your Fi app to get a free google home mini.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think I am legit running out of rooms for these

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nice. That'll go great on the shelf next to the free Google Nest Mini I got from Spotify.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is it even worth it to get the free thing then resell it?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Getting the free thing is always worth it, especially when it takes 4 seconds of clicking on a button.

Trying to resell it doesn't seem worth it at all, no. Just enjoy it or give it away or something.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just threw my last free Google Home Mini in the trash after it sat on my shelf for two years.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Oh yeah they're like $25, not worth a resell. Is the speaker on it decent? Could be nice for a mini speaker in my kitchen, I guess. The pink one is sold out already, though! :argh:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Home Mini (the one that was free with Spotify a few months ago) is terrible but allegedly the speaker on the Nest Mini is slightly improved. I guess we'll see.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

I just threw my last free Google Home Mini in the trash after it sat on my shelf for two years.

I'm going to put this one in the bathroom so I can listen to the song from the Karate Kid when I'm making GBS threads

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

FogHelmut posted:

And they say we are a wasteful society.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh yeah they're like $25, not worth a resell. Is the speaker on it decent? Could be nice for a mini speaker in my kitchen, I guess. The pink one is sold out already, though! :argh:

speaker is pretty good, I got a bunch of these things on black friday for $19 a pop or whatever. You can either ask it to play music or start playing music/podcasts in a supported app and cast it on the speaker without having to do a Bluetooth pairing. If you have more than one you can create a play group and have the same content playing on multiple speakers.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah why the hell not. Literally free, didn't have to pay taxes or shipping. And it's literally like half a minute of clicking on buttons and double checking the order details. I could use another Bluetooth speaker anyway.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dietrich posted:

speaker is pretty good, I got a bunch of these things on black friday for $19 a pop or whatever. You can either ask it to play music or start playing music/podcasts in a supported app and cast it on the speaker without having to do a Bluetooth pairing. If you have more than one you can create a play group and have the same content playing on multiple speakers.

Excellent, casting to it is exactly what I'm gonna do, thanks!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

we need less cheap crap, not more, but I still redeemed the stupid thing

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I guess I should have waited to move to verizon until this week haha

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

couldcareless posted:

I think I am legit running out of rooms for these

If you shove one up your butt Google can track your farts!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Only if they can improve Google Fit enough to be able to give me health data based on those farts.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just ordered my free Nest Mini, thanks for the heads up. I still haven't opened my free home mini from a few months ago.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Ineffiable posted:

If you're using the default keyboard, try SwiftKey or something. It has some customization options so it might help you out there

Thanks, I'll probably also get a case with a ring or knob or something so I don't feel like I'm trying to balance it between my pinky and index fingers all the time.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Found the Fi Mini deal completely on accident because I was checking my data usage (got an alert that there was a spike).

Glad I read those messages at the top of my screen!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like free things, so I grabbed one.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Eh, I don't need another one, but it's free so I grabbed it. I'm thinking about moving into a bigger apartment next year so maybe it'll be useful?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Soysaucebeast posted:

Eh, I don't need another one, but it's free so I grabbed it. I'm thinking about moving into a bigger apartment next year so maybe it'll be useful?

I've got a 1200 sqft apartment and five devices 😑😑😑

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Deathlove posted:

This will be my 5th. I picked up the 4th one on Black Friday because it was $20, I have no more rooms to put them in now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A new 3a is the same price as a refurbished 3. Any thoughts on which would be better as a gift? I know refurbished is less gifty, but it's a better phone, right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A new 3a is the same price as a refurbished 3. Any thoughts on which would be better as a gift? I know refurbished is less gifty, but it's a better phone, right?

I enjoy having a headphone jack

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The performance difference between the two, outside of nerds is pretty non-existent and I'd really prefer a new in box phone with a headphone jack tbh.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

As a 3XL owner right now, I think if I were buying a new phone, given what I know about the 3 and have heard about the 3a, I'd probably go with the 3a.

That being said, nothing wrong with a 3.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
3a doesn't have wireless charging which is a bit of a bummer but it has the nice OLED screen which is pretty unheard of at that price range and also the purple looks good. If they were the same price I'd probably still go with the refurb though.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
To my knowledge refurbs only need like 80%+ battery health or they'd replace the battery maybe.. so you may inherit someone with awful battery habits phone and miss out on 10-15% of your capacity.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Might be a dumb question but does google go offer an ESIM?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Doesn't seem like there's a right answer here. She doesn't use wireless charging or headphone jacks. The more substantial build of the 3 is nice, but I don't know how noticeable the difference would be with a case and screen protector.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

MarcusSA posted:

Might be a dumb question but does google go offer an ESIM?

Yes, Google Fi offers an ESIM. My Pixel 3XL is using one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

maltesh posted:

Yes, Google Fi offers an ESIM. My Pixel 3XL is using one.

Oh nice! Guess I should have done a little investigation before I left for Europe for 3 weeks lol.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Oh nice! Guess I should have done a little investigation before I left for Europe for 3 weeks lol.

It's only for Pixels so it might not have made a difference.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Deathlove posted:

I was going to say something similar. I live in a 450sqft studio and have a home mini. Still grabbed the nest mini and moved the home mini to my bathroom. Still feels a bit like overkill but it was free so why not?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I gave away my nest at the family white elephant. Saved me $20!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Spotify gave me one too, so i get to have an office one and a kitchen one in January when I get home to open them.

a $50 gadget is a legit cool grandma tier gift so I will allow Google to purchase a tiny sliver of my approval in this manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The 3a is $299 through the Fi app right now. Hmmm...