Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Do you like skiing one of essentially three WROD runs that are pure ice and covered in so many Jerrys you risk getting run into with every turn? Well boy do I have the lift tickets for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

HookShot posted:

Do you like skiing one of essentially three WROD runs that are pure ice and covered in so many Jerrys you risk getting run into with every turn? Well boy do I have the lift tickets for you.

Oh my loving god

I was expecting like :20bux:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Do any of the Vail owned resorts adjust their pricing based on amount of terrain open?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Do any of the Vail owned resorts adjust their pricing based on amount of terrain open?

Not really. Breck went up to $159 Thanksgiving.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wow, that is amazing. I skied my local resort because I have a pass, but sure wouldn't have paid even half the regular cost of a lift ticket. Hopefully they had enough stuff open to make it fun.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I don't understand why they'd put a friggin' chairlift in that indoor park. That's the most inefficient way to go up a tiny slope, thing needs a rope tow (as much as I don't like them)

If it had a rope, and there was one really close to me, I'd legit drop in on off hours sometimes to bomb a whole bunch of runs without even getting out of my bindings, but the chairlift just makes that the saddest thing

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

ante posted:

I don't understand why they'd put a friggin' chairlift in that indoor park. That's the most inefficient way to go up a tiny slope, thing needs a rope tow (as much as I don't like them)

If it had a rope, and there was one really close to me, I'd legit drop in on off hours sometimes to bomb a whole bunch of runs without even getting out of my bindings, but the chairlift just makes that the saddest thing
The main purpose of the indoor slope is to get beginners learning to ski even during the warmer months so a rope tow would be a disaster. The purpose isn't really to entice experienced skiers.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tenth day logged. Only one trail got skied off and even that not too bad. Small crowd as a bonus for my not having to wait in any lines.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Re ski lessons for better skiers I thought the Max4 small group lessons at Whistler were excellent. Other than that, the race camp last year really improved my skiing, right up to the point I broke my leg. I'd still recommend it though!

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Nope.

Bob Ross Nuke Test fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 21, 2022

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Castle has all lifts spinning but is a a 2" thick windswept hard raincrust with sharks/shrubs lurking and the upper cat track covered in gravel which just consumed my fresh base refinish. All in all a pretty gnarly day to hit the slopes on Vipec pins after two years off. Twice now I've had my flat tails cut under the crust and barely recovered before ripping my leg off. making GBS threads brick houses trying to make turns on the upper blues.

Should be great after this storm hits tonight tho.

I'm heading up tomorrow; can't wait.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm heading up tomorrow; can't wait.

Flying to Park City tomorrow, skiing on Monday. I am *Very* excited. After trying out Deer Valley last year I am very happy to be back in Park City and very much looking forward to seeing what PCMR has in store!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Flying to Park City tomorrow, skiing on Monday. I am *Very* excited. After trying out Deer Valley last year I am very happy to be back in Park City and very much looking forward to seeing what PCMR has in store!

Park City is such a fun mountain once you know how to navigate it, I love the whole right side of it that used to be The Canyons

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Steve French posted:

Hell yeah. Ours are just over 2 (birthday in September). Keep the thread updated on her progress; I'd also love to share experiences/advice/etc.

I think for us weekends will be for skiing with kids, mid week while they're at day care will be for skiing for ourselves

Day 1 yesterday, it was awesome. My kid did amazingly well considering she's not even 2. We did about 6 mini laps with and without the leash, I think I'm going to try to stay away from it as much as possible although it does save your back. French fries and hot chocolate afterwards.

Gear-wise, after one day the essentials are a fartbag instead of jacket/pants, edgie wedgie, and a backpack style harness (with our without leash) so you can pick them up easily. I'm on the hunt for some mittens or gloves for toddlers that don't suck, the two pairs I have for my kid don't stay on and don't fit well.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

May I recommend one more piece of equipment: a pocket full of candy and snacks.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It was a gorgeous day at Castle today, even if the drive out was a bit...interesting.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Steve French posted:

Hell yeah. Ours are just over 2 (birthday in September). Keep the thread updated on her progress; I'd also love to share experiences/advice/etc.

Def would be into hearing experiences & advice. My daughter is just a few months younger than yours, and we're also planning to get her started this year. Have our first trip booked at Squaw in late January, haven't really thought at all about what our plan will be in terms of actually getting her on the mountain but we've got some time to figure it all out I guess

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Def would be into hearing experiences & advice. My daughter is just a few months younger than yours, and we're also planning to get her started this year. Have our first trip booked at Squaw in late January, haven't really thought at all about what our plan will be in terms of actually getting her on the mountain but we've got some time to figure it all out I guess

Cool, will share. Haven't gotten out with them, yet; it's been snowing nearly every day here since we got them gear and I want to start them out on a nice day (and I've been busy with other things as well).

Still need to grab them some mittens as well, hopefully get them out in the next few weeks. In the meantime, they're really excited about their boots and their helmets.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Squaw this afternoon:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Did Keystone on Sat with some night skiing and some of the Outback this morning.

Broke in my new XPro boots and got rental skis. K2 mindbenders. I asked for a shorter ski but I’m not sure I did it right.

I’m 220 and 6”1’ - was 163cm too short?

I felt great because I could turn anytime I wanted but felt like I almost had to turn constantly because I was afraid of the crud that might trip up my ski.

Honestly though I had a great day. Also got to use my new Smith Vantage helmet and my chromapop goggles for the first time.

I spent over 1000 for this ski trip....

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would say too short based on your weight. Probably at least 175's.

E: skiing is not cheap. Especially at Vail resorts ($219/day this holiday season).

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 9, 2019

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

163 is pretty short, yeah. If you're a beginner, no problem. But if you're past that stage, I would go with spwrozek and say 175 is more in line. Fwiw I am 5 11 and 175 and ski 180something. I think my pow skis might be over 190

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I’m skiing blues and blacks. I felt like I was going way slower than normal.

I’ll go for some longer skis next time!!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

163 would be a good length snowboard for you.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'm 5'10 and around 200 and I use 181s, although sometimes I wish they were like 175s.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm 5'8 and use 163 skis

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

It also depends on what kind of ski we’re talking. A powder ski with lots of tip and tail rocker will generally be longer than a narrow hardpack carver, even though it may have a shorter effective edge.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I’m thinking about trading in my Cochise 180cm for something a little flexier/more playful as I sit here missing a powder day. I like them but I’d like something a little easier to turn in moguls and trees. Probably about 80% resort 20% tour. Will likely use the same kingpins. Any thoughts?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

It also depends on what kind of ski we’re talking. A powder ski with lots of tip and tail rocker will generally be longer than a narrow hardpack carver, even though it may have a shorter effective edge.

165 is great for a slalom ski

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

5'11 205 and despite what the charts say I have found that my perfect ski length is 173 so I'm never listening to anybody again on that

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm 5'3" and my all mountain skis are 169.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I’m thinking about trading in my Cochise 180cm for something a little flexier/more playful as I sit here missing a powder day. I like them but I’d like something a little easier to turn in moguls and trees. Probably about 80% resort 20% tour. Will likely use the same kingpins. Any thoughts?

My buddy loves his Brahmas, enough that I might demo them myself along with the Bonafides for my next ski

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

My buddy loves his Brahmas, enough that I might demo them myself along with the Bonafides for my next ski

Those 173s I just talked about are Blizzard Brahmas and they loving rule

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Someone somewhere recommended Line Sick Day 104 for a Qo1 ski. Dunno.

I still need to get something to replace my 181 Icelantic Nomads. I’m 5’8” 150lbs fwiw. They ski a hair longer than I’d like.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I don't really pay that close attention to what my dad skis, but I'm pretty sure he replaced some Icelantic Nomads with the Sick Day.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm totally confused by ski lengths. All the numbers people are citing are all over the place. One of my 12 year olds is going to be skiing a 150 SL ski this year and a 170 GS ski. The other one 143 SL and 163 GS.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Parabolic done hosed it up for everybody back in the good ol days you were a type III skier and you got 195s and you liked it unless you're some kind of Big Dick who pushes into the 200s strictly for the pussy

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yuns posted:

I'm totally confused by ski lengths. All the numbers people are citing are all over the place. One of my 12 year olds is going to be skiing a 150 SL ski this year and a 170 GS ski. The other one 143 SL and 163 GS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuFHKvBZj3w

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Just had my first day at park city. It was phenomenal. Huge trails. Their cat tracks are bigger than the trails back home. Hit a personal best of 23,100 vertical. 5k more than my previous best. Monster day. Loving the Epic Mix app as well. Really cool. Just a great day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Just had my first day at park city. It was phenomenal. Huge trails. Their cat tracks are bigger than the trails back home. Hit a personal best of 23,100 vertical. 5k more than my previous best. Monster day. Loving the Epic Mix app as well. Really cool. Just a great day.

Which side did you ski? The Park City side or the Canyons side?

Its probably my favorite mountain, the terrain just keeps going