Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay cool. I mean that scene was ostensibly some kind of purgatory so yeah, that read holds, I just wasn't sure it was a 'demon' per se.

Yeah, sorry. "Demon Livia" is a reference to the... alien, malign, and "other" presence the faceless stairwalker exuded.

Like sleep paralysis critters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The final season (interestingly enough, David Chase is adamant that it's supposed to be seasons six and seven, and not 6.1 and 6.2) is also the Tony orgasm season. There are at least four scenes I can think of where the audience is treated to Tony blowing his load.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Going into the final season, I mentioned to my wife the idea of what if they have Tony shot in the first episode but you don't know who did it and then the remaining episodes would be flashbacks giving every one means, motive and opportunity.

Seemed a little gimmicky to me to actually work but I was closer than i thought.

Also this

quote:

Eugene goes to a chicken place in Boston at night, wearing his Member's Only jacket zipped up, one gloved hand in his pocket. He seems to casually notice somebody as he waits at the counter...

Is telling as it relates to the finale IMO where there's a dude casually sitting at the counter in a Members Only jacket. To me, it's one more clue for the "Tony died" crowd.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hmm...when AJ sells his drums...at Bobby's lake house....with the peyote chick in Vegas... I only got 3. This is embarrassing, I did my senior thesis on Tony's load blowing. Help me out here.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

banned from Starbucks posted:

Hmm...when AJ sells his drums...at Bobby's lake house....with the peyote chick in Vegas... I only got 3. This is embarrassing, I did my senior thesis on Tony's load blowing. Help me out here.

There's also the first time he cheats on Carmela since the shooting while she's in Paris. You think he's having a panic attack behind the wheel, but it turns out the blonde he was staring at in the Bing is giving him road head.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ahh that's right. They made such a big deal with him not banging The Good Wife that for some reason i thought he remained faithful to Carmela for that season.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Fragmented posted:

gently caress yeah! I love the 2? coma episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bgi3z4M-Mo

:gbsmith:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I know I've mentioned it before but one of my all time favourite scenes in this show is during Tony's coma dream where the only person that can actually get through to him is Paulie with all his loving complaining and Tony just wants him to shut up.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MrBling posted:

I know I've mentioned it before but one of my all time favourite scenes in this show is during Tony's coma dream where the only person that can actually get through to him is Paulie with all his loving complaining and Tony just wants him to shut up.

The other person is Meadow, he can hear her voice from when she was a child through the trees when Tony B is trying to take the briefcase just before he comes out of the coma.

The coma episodes are even more divisive than the Test Dream to the point that it's the reason why Robin Green and Mitchell Burgess left the series during season six after being involved since the very beginning. Apparently they were not fans of the dream stuff and the last episode they wrote (with Chase and Winter) was "Live Free or Die" before going on to create Blue Bloods for CBS.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Awesome writeup. A few little things I love in this ep-

"I'm starting to grow mushrooms out my rear end."
"There's an image!"

The poo poo look Phil and Tony give the muscle when he chimes into the settlement discussion between Boss/Acting Boss.

It's our first glimpse of the Sacrimoni daughters- one who takes after her mother and one who is visibly anorexic, desperate not to take after her mother.

"Cayenne, like the pepper"

The misdirect of Eugene's bloody fingerprint on the map- all we can surmise at the moment was this would be a crucial plot point/piece of evidence moving forward. Welp. Also, the song on the radio- he has dreams of escaping the mob life, and now has the money to make it happen for real. In a couple of scenes Tony through Sil ensures this will never happen (so does the FBI)- but Dreaming is free...

The very disturbing, very real looking suicide. How do they do that, I guess with like a harness that just looks like it's attached at the neck? Amazing practical effect and amazing acting.

"If your nose runs and your feet smell... you're built upside down!"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
In rewatching these I always wince at the suggestions from other characters that Tony will die from a heart attack :whitewater:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The very disturbing, very real looking suicide. How do they do that, I guess with like a harness that just looks like it's attached at the neck? Amazing practical effect and amazing acting.

I asked Funaro about that at the con and he told us the rig could only be under his arms and around his chest and waist, being that he was supposed to struggle and kick so much, so he couldn’t have something between his legs. He had neck and back pain for weeks afterwards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I asked Funaro about that at the con and he told us the rig could only be under his arms and around his chest and waist, being that he was supposed to struggle and kick so much, so he couldn’t have something between his legs. He had neck and back pain for weeks afterwards.

It's an incredible scene, I'm so glad they just leave the frame static and let the performance tell the story simply. Him clutching at his throat and his foot trying to find purchase on the overturned speaker is devastating, he clearly thought he was gonna break his neck and die in an instant and instead he lives just long enough to regret it and try to escape, but is powerless to do so. :smith:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

It's an incredible scene, I'm so glad they just leave the frame static and let the performance tell the story simply. Him clutching at his throat and his foot trying to find purchase on the overturned speaker is devastating, he clearly thought he was gonna break his neck and die in an instant and instead he lives just long enough to regret it and try to escape, but is powerless to do so. :smith:

I took it to be a simple case of jumpers' regret, tbh

Edit: a commonly reported thought from folks that leapt from the bay bridge and lived - "All my problems have a solution... except for the jump I just made"

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 7, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jerusalem posted:

If he hadn't dropped his gun at the diner he could have used that.

Speaking of that, isn't that a trope from The Godfather that you always drop the gun at the scene but that's not really true or what these guys actually do? Pretty sure I heard it in a wiseguy podcast/interview or something that no hit man would deliberately leave a murder weapon at the scene, which makes sense.

I guess the thinking goes you don't want to be caught with it but you probably don't want the cops to have it either whether it's traceable or not.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of that, isn't that a trope from The Godfather that you always drop the gun at the scene but that's not really true or what these guys actually do? Pretty sure I heard it in a wiseguy podcast/interview or something that no hit man would deliberately leave a murder weapon at the scene, which makes sense.

I guess the thinking goes you don't want to be caught with it but you probably don't want the cops to have it either whether it's traceable or not.

In the Wire they just tossed it to a river after a hit. Looking at the amount of unsolved crime murders in the U.S. it does not seem to be exactly CSI-tight in regards to investigations and mob guys have alibis and lawyers out the rear end so I am not entirely sure how much of an difference it makes...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah. Part of it is if they get picked up, they don't want the weapon on them and we can probably infer they've made sure weapon's untraceable or 'cold iron' if you want to be dramatic. Admittedly giving it the quick wipe down we see is just shorthand for 'I'm making sure there's no DNA on the piece' when that probably wouldn't be enough, but it works for shorthand.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
In the wire, cutty just tosses a mac 11 in to someone’s backyard

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

EwokEntourage posted:

In the wire, cutty just tosses a mac 11 in to someone’s backyard

He didn't use it though and had gloves on(i think?). I also understand that these shows can't get everything right when it comes to showing how criminals evade the police. The Citations Needed podcast just did an episode on that(mostly focusing on CSI type shows but it's still in the sphere of reference).

Makes me think what is the most accurate show when it comes to criminal justice? I mean i always thought it was The Wire but it's been almost 20 years since it aired.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

My experience with criminal justice is everyone gets away with everything that isn't a person to person crime. Basically if you don't rob, sexually assault, regular assault someone you probably made it through your 20's and 30's ok.

Edit: Disclamer: This is in Portland if you are white

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DarkCrawler posted:

In the Wire they just tossed it to a river after a hit.

I'd say this is one of my favorite scenes, but it's The Wire so they're pretty much ALL my favorite scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RstJ8jzlCCo

"Nobody ever thinks they're stupid, it's part of the stupidity!"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Where, ever, have kids played a game akin to what Ralph's kid and his friend played with the bow & arrow? Why not just target practice at the tree? It just seems stretch even for dumb kid territory. Also was there ever any mention before that he even had a kid?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think Justin's mentioned earlier in passing but Whoever Did This is his first appearance.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

codo27 posted:

Where, ever, have kids played a game akin to what Ralph's kid and his friend played with the bow & arrow? Why not just target practice at the tree? It just seems stretch even for dumb kid territory. Also was there ever any mention before that he even had a kid?

*raises a hand*

We used to make cardboard armor and tilt at each other with rods on bikes.

Which ended when a kid lost 4 teeth

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah the classic moves are definitely to drop it in a storm drain or in the river. Doesn't really help you for them to find it.

Course, Godfather was set a long, long time ago, when forensics and gun records were in a very different state and computer records didn't even exist.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

All their guns are stolen with filed off serial numbers and they wear gloves to prevent prints. Theres no reason to carry it on you any more than you need to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

Course, Godfather was set a long, long time ago, when forensics and gun records were in a very different state and computer records didn't even exist.

Even The Sopranos reacted to the prevalence of DNA testing when Chris tells Furio they have to stop using Satriale's for, uh, disposal.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A funny moment last night was gf and me both sighing in unison in disappointment at Chris shooting up yet again when Tony calls him after killing Ralph. That was a dark loving episode though, considerably darker than basically everything else to this point. No scene darker than this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDq-70caV0

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the classic moves are definitely to drop it in a storm drain or in the river. Doesn't really help you for them to find it.

I remember this coming up in Jack Reacher, where the henchman guy played by Jai Courtney explains that they have a certain way of doing things so that they "stay done" and that they "don't leave unanswered questions." Better to use a gun that you know cannot possibly be traced to you, then leave it at the scene so that the cops aren't out there hunting around for the murder weapon. They have the weapon, they know it's a dead end, and that's the end of it. It's done and there's not leads for the cops to follow that might result in you being caught because they got some lucky break(for instance in The Wire, the scene where they dump the guns in the river doesn't work out so well because of bad luck).

Basically the quicker you can get the cops to close the investigation and move on, the better. Time spent looking for a murder weapon is time that you are at risk of somehow being exposed by the investigation.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ishamael posted:

This episode was such an insane shocker when it aired, the shooting came out of nowhere and was so realistically brutal, it truly was an incredible premiere.

Also, woo! We are about to do the coma episodes, some of my favorites but I know they are divisive among fans.

It is actually jarring when you compare this scene of gun violence with Tony's assassination attempt in S1.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khHzGqgO2Bw

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

codo27 posted:

Lmao back when that episode aired I actually called this out as being a really good detail in the show.

When ever have kids played that? IN THE EARLY 2000S RIGHT WHEN LORD OF THE RINGS AIRED. It was loving huge with kids and that's when The Sopranos was airing, and they even call out "THE HORN OF GONDOR" in the show. The kids are pretending they're Boromir and Aragorn. That's so loving 100% believable.

I totally had sword battles with my friends as a kid re-enacting the Star Wars fights, and could absolutely see kids doing things like this. Kids are dumb and more importantly irresponsible and overlook things all the time.

And as Gay Uncle said, Lawn Darts were a huge deal and got lots of kids hurt before they got "banned".

Basebf555 posted:

I remember this coming up in Jack Reacher, where the henchman guy played by Jai Courtney explains that they have a certain way of doing things so that they "stay done" and that they "don't leave unanswered questions." Better to use a gun that you know cannot possibly be traced to you, then leave it at the scene so that the cops aren't out there hunting around for the murder weapon. They have the weapon, they know it's a dead end, and that's the end of it. It's done and there's not leads for the cops to follow that might result in you being caught because they got some lucky break(for instance in The Wire, the scene where they dump the guns in the river doesn't work out so well because of bad luck).

Basically the quicker you can get the cops to close the investigation and move on, the better. Time spent looking for a murder weapon is time that you are at risk of somehow being exposed by the investigation.

That's interesting, and I guess does make sense. If you're REAL confident the gun is clean.

But that could also go either way, I'd need to hear it from someone with experience in law enforcement (or criminal enterprise) to really believe it. Shows make poo poo up all the time.

Also saves you from the risk of getting caught on the way to the river with the gun. Although if cops see you fleeing the scene you're probably fubar anyways.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

codo27 posted:

My cousins used to play Star Wars by using two-foot fluorescent bulbs as lightsabers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My cousins used to play Star Wars by using two-foot fluorescent bulbs as lightsabers.

Yeah I've done exactly this and its not good for you.

Course wrestlers do much worse things with fluorescent bulbs so :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

That's interesting, and I guess does make sense. If you're REAL confident the gun is clean.

But that could also go either way, I'd need to hear it from someone with experience in law enforcement (or criminal enterprise) to really believe it. Shows make poo poo up all the time.

Also saves you from the risk of getting caught on the way to the river with the gun. Although if cops see you fleeing the scene you're probably fubar anyways.

Oh yea I certainly wouldn't assume that Jack Reacher is a reliable source of information, I just found that to be an interesting take on the issue that was a nice little bit of characterization for the mob boss in that movie(played by Werner Herzog).

It makes sense when you think about it. If you're trying to hide the weapon then you aren't really a professional, because a professional wouldn't use a gun without 100% certainty that it wouldn't be traced back to them. And if you have that certainty, there's only bad things that can happen the longer you hold on to the weapon, and zero downside to dropping it as soon as the deed is done.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No sense in holding on to something that can be reliably connected to a murder. If it can also be connected to other murders then it might make sense to tote it away and try to get rid of it elsewhere ASAP, but in either case the sooner it is out of your hand the better.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

If I were a mobster, I'd do my killings with a knife made out of ice. That way, by the time the cops show up, the murder weapon is just a puddle on the floor.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Phenotype posted:

If I were a mobster, I'd do my killings with a knife made out of ice. That way, by the time the cops show up, the murder weapon is just a puddle on the floor.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/perfect-crime-faq/

This is what got Frags fired from SA. Never reveal family secrets...

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I'd just be a cook, and add more and more butter to the macaroni and gravy.

How many jogs do you think Pussy had left in him when he got popped? 2? 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I mean really the perfect murder weapon is that "People don't really give a poo poo."

It's getting less effective with cameras being literally everywhere now.

Edit: As an example: This is ten years or so ago. I had a full homeless beard and would walk in to the same unnamed large supermarket with my giant backpack and walk out with a box of wine after i paid 5-10 bux for food. Every day. For like 4 months. I have no criminal record.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 11, 2019