Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Those were good. I got really annoyed at the whole “super noble only good at making gates ashaman “ because if you’ve ever read any of his other books that is pure Sanderson and sticks out like a sore thumb on rereads.

Androl was in winter's heart, he's a creation of RJ. Sanderson just ran with his gateway talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

silvergoose posted:

How many of them are gay, given the uh pillow friends in the white tower

all of them, they know how to channel through the taint.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there was a limitation in traveling where you had to be familiar with where you were traveling to, while skimming was where you were traveling from. Skimming was also more hazy in wher the gate landed. Asha'man dude had a talent that he didn't really need that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

UltraRed posted:

Yeah, there was a limitation in traveling where you had to be familiar with where you were traveling to, while skimming was where you were traveling from. Skimming was also more hazy in wher the gate landed. Asha'man dude had a talent that he didn't really need that.

Traveling required intimate familiarity with where you were going from - that's why they had so many "Now we make camp and rest until the channelers know where we are good enough" scenes. Skimming also needed the same familiarities, but to a much weaker degree - you could Skim after about half an hour, while Traveling needed a large part of a day.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Didn't Sanderson break the traveling limitation by going "hey I'll just make a gateway right next to me so I immediately know the area"?

It must be really fun to play any kinda rpg with that guy.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That was a thing, but I don't remember exactly when it cropped up. I think all the necessary pieces (Shorter distances requiring less knowing, going to a place giving you the knowing) were there in Jordan's time, but it probably was Sanderson that put them together.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It was when Rand was threatening Far Madding.

They changed the definition of traveling and skimming. One used to be familiarity with traveling to and the other was traveling from, but they changed it sometime before RJ got really sick.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will say that I really enjoy when a magic-using universe shows us a story arc during a time in the universe’s history where people are just discovering and inventing new things about how the magic works and how to exploit it. ATLA comes to mind, a couple other shows too.

Don’t think that quite applies in WoT/Sanderson’s case though, since the Aes Sedai have been studying it for thousands of years and only just now is it getting turned all inside out because of Rand et al. Or maybe it does, for that very reason.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I feel like Jordan took Aes Sedai incompetence a bit too far. I get that they're stuck in a "this is how we've always done it" mindset and that Ishamael and the black ajah have been loving with them, but it gets a bit silly considering the massive amount of discoveries the wonder girls end up making.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I see you aren't really familiar with institutional incompetence

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There was also a hefty dose of selfish hoarding in play, that had a huge impact on things. There's a few points where Egwene thinks that one or two of the Aes Sedai seem somewhat unsurprised or disgruntled at her new "discovery", suggesting that it wasn't new to them and that they aren't happy everybody knows how to do it now. This also is probably how a lot of stuff got lost in the first place - the few people who knew how to do it kept it to themselves, and died without passing it on.

A similarly sized epic set in the early part of the Third Age would probably be extremely interesting, as long as you didn't get KJA to write it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I dunno who KJA is but I'm saying call in K A Applegate to write a series of surprisingly dark and brutal books about the Breaking and Trolloc Wars

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I was referencing the rather poor Dune prequels with Kevin J Anderson.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kevin j Anderson, he wrote some baaaaaaad star wars original eu books.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Applegate it is then, Aes Sedaimorphs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looking forward to the show becoming super popular, leading to a ton of clickbait "what ajah are you?" quizzes

What's ur Aes Sedaisona

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm an Accepted, because I get more done than any ten Aes Sedai :smug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

How many of them are gay, given the uh pillow friends in the white tower

The thing with the pillow friends was totally lost on me for the longest time, probably because I started reading my first WoT-books before I hit puberty, so everything sex-related went sailing so far above my head it hit space on the way up.

Now the funny thing is, at some point after I started reading the books I finally did hit puberty, and (probably) influenced by Robert Jordan writing so much about spanking and poo poo, I suffered at one point really vivid dreams about Moghedien being dominated by Ninaeve after that part where uh Ninaeve absolutely dominates Moghedien with the One Power. Now that's some sexual awakening for you.

At the same time and almost up to today, I interpreted "pillow friends" as meaning something completely and totally benign. The one exception was me slowly having this nagging thought grow over time that I was not getting something important here

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Libluini posted:

The thing with the pillow friends was totally lost on me for the longest time, probably because I started reading my first WoT-books before I hit puberty, so everything sex-related went sailing so far above my head it hit space on the way up.

Now the funny thing is, at some point after I started reading the books I finally did hit puberty, and (probably) influenced by Robert Jordan writing so much about spanking and poo poo, I suffered at one point really vivid dreams about Moghedien being dominated by Ninaeve after that part where uh Ninaeve absolutely dominates Moghedien with the One Power. Now that's some sexual awakening for you.

At the same time and almost up to today, I interpreted "pillow friends" as meaning something completely and totally benign. The one exception was me slowly having this nagging thought grow over time that I was not getting something important here

Look at this guy easing the badger.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Lews Therin and The Bad Hole

‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ by

Dafydd ab Hugh

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Look at this guy easing the badger.

As I mentioned, that's gotta be the longest, stupidest mystery I've ever seen in a book.

In case people don't recall, there's an inn in illian called easing the badger, mentioned in book 2 as "no one, even the innkeeper, knows what it means".

Then in, what, book 11? 12? The book where mat meets up with Perrin after going to the tower. Something like mat captures a badger in a bag, and then at the end of the chapter, Perrin laughs and eases the badger.

That's it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

silvergoose posted:

As I mentioned, that's gotta be the longest, stupidest mystery I've ever seen in a book.

In case people don't recall, there's an inn in illian called easing the badger, mentioned in book 2 as "no one, even the innkeeper, knows what it means".

Then in, what, book 11? 12? The book where mat meets up with Perrin after going to the tower. Something like mat captures a badger in a bag, and then at the end of the chapter, Perrin laughs and eases the badger.

That's it.

I think that's just Sanderson's desperate need to answer everything. I doubt Jordan would have ever closed that loop. He wanted to leave some questions unanswered so that the story wouldn't be perfectly tidy.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silvergoose posted:

That's it.

It was treated as a masturbation joke on rev.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan for years and years after the first reference (one guy got it as his parenthetical nom de guerre in the FAQ), and group members brought it up regularly with Harriet and RJ in correspondence, signings, and similar encounters.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I dunno who KJA is but I'm saying call in K A Applegate to write the first couple of books and an overview of a series of surprisingly dark and brutal books about the Breaking and Trolloc Wars, then farm it out to ghostwriters.

Fixed that for you.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Gnoman posted:

I was referencing the rather poor Dune prequels with Kevin J Anderson.

Anderson was, in fact, suggested by higher-ups at TOR as a potential author to take over the series after Jordan's death.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Fixed that for you.

It was still far, far better than it had any right to be.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It was still far, far better than it had any right to be.

If you’re talking about animorphs, I agree. I still have the entire set gathering dust on my bookcase. And in fact that’s a series I’d love to see adapted for television again now that we have decent cgi. The TV show they did years ago was utter poo poo.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

silvergoose posted:

That's it.

Yeah I was just making a joke on a guy missing what pillow friends were by throwing that out.

I had no idea people used it to reference masturbation, but hey at least that improves my joke!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah I was just making a joke on a guy missing what pillow friends were by throwing that out.

I had no idea people used it to reference masturbation, but hey at least that improves my joke!

You must be the only person in the world who didn't read 'easing the badger' and immediately think it was a euphemism for jacking off.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I figured it was like "draining the lizard"

e: which, what the gently caress

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

You must be the only person in the world who didn't read 'easing the badger' and immediately think it was a euphemism for jacking off.

No, I didn't either

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I certainly didn't.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Must have just been a private schoolboy thing then.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I never gave it any real thought, but "easing the badger" does seem like it would fit in with phrases like 'spanking the monkey' or 'flogging the dolphin'.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

We always used to joke about it round the gaming table. I actually started out reading the wheel of time in grade 10 because the tabletop gaming club at school finished up a d&d campaign and decided the next campaign would use the WoT tabletop game (for those that don’t know its adapted from 3rd ed D&D, with Jordan’s involvement and it’s pretty awesome)

My character was a female wilder, and since wilders all had to start out with blocks, my character’s block was that she could only channel when sexually aroused.

I’ll never forget the bemused way the teacher running the campaign would ask me to roll my arousal check.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Khizan posted:

I never gave it any real thought, but "easing the badger" does seem like it would fit in with phrases like 'spanking the monkey' or 'flogging the dolphin'.

I guess it wasn't violent enough. It sounds more like you'd say, "Heh, I'd ease her badger."

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'd have assumed it was a poop joke, because the badger needs to be coaxed out of its hole.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Given RJ’s spanking fetish I always assumed it was butt stuff.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought easing the badger was about coaxing a woman to bed, like taming of the shrew. The sign has a man dancing with a badger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

UltraRed posted:

I thought easing the badger was about coaxing a woman to bed, like taming of the shrew. The sign has a man dancing with a badger.

No, it had him holding a shovel I think...the badger is dancing.