Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JaneOst_/status/1204026759785656320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

also has anyone else watched the righteous gemstones on HBO? i wasn't sure if i was going to like it at first since i'm pretty luke-warm on anything danny mcbride is in, but i gotta say "what if tony soprano ran a megachurch" is turning into a decent enough show. what i am most amazed by is how they're playing the conservative christian family dynamics like 98% straight and the only parts they're exaggerating is when people actually start shooting each other. i was raised in a super conservative christian family in the 80s and i gotta say this show is an almost completely faithful recreation of what that experience was like.

the best part is my wife asking me "wait, is that part of the joke" for like half of the content and getting to tell her "nope, that's actually a completely normal thing you would see/hear/do in that world; the only joke is that they're playing it completely straight faced and daring you not to laugh at the insanity"

Being "luke-warm" to Danny McBride is inconceivable to me, but yeah Righteous Gemstones is incredible. Even when it's getting you to root for them and hoping that their family drama works out, it never lets up that these people are all parasites on society.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Is there anyone who played a Star Wars baddie who wasn't fashy? Temura Morrison or James Earl Jones maybe? Ian McDiarmid is a fascist and David Prowse loves UKIP sooooo...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i really think casting the lead kid from ST was a misstep in this case, because it makes the entire thing into a stranger things: gaiden situation for me.

He was also in the new It movie, so I think he's kind of getting typecast as nostalgic spooky stuff kid. I think he was cast in It before ST came out, but the coincidence means that's who they think of.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pulcinella posted:

Well that and it tries to say war is bad but giant war machines are incredibly cool. The newtype bullshit sucks but it does get undermined pretty regularly. Newtype magic has saved the day a few times from straight up destruction, but literally has never stopped wars. The dumb kids never realize that “if only we could all communicate and understand each others feelings there would be no war” doesn’t work if the people in power don’t care about any of that.

Which is why IBO is the best gundam series since its the only one that is about destroying the system instead of wanting magic to fix everything. The haram ship is still awful, though.

So the only Gundam series you saw outside of IBO was Unicorn?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

General Dog posted:

Did you see his name on a blacklist or something? The narrative on that movie from day one until the present has always been "Jesus, what a fiasco for Shyamalan", I don't think anyone has ever said "this movie is great if that kid actor isn't so lovely."
M Night is still making movies. Nothing has changed.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

So the only Gundam series you saw outside of IBO was Unicorn?

None of the Gundams capture how stupid & depraved war is quite like Thunderbolt, which is a marginal theater of the war that demands immense mind-bending sacrifice from everybody - only to have the war end off-screen and none of what they did mattered at all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The only good Gundam series is g Gundam

It has the best politics

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

None of the Gundams capture how stupid & depraved war is quite like Thunderbolt, which is a marginal theater of the war that demands immense mind-bending sacrifice from everybody - only to have the war end off-screen and none of what they did mattered at all.

And got drat is it loving rad

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This also applies to 0080.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Uncle Wemus posted:

I have zero desire to watch the new season of Rick and morty and hearing that they had Elon musk on lowers that desire even more

Havent even watched the last couple seasons of venture bros because they took 3 years between seasons and even then would immediately abandon every interesting plot thread

During the Elon Musk episode Rick goes on a rant about how it's okay for adults to love playing Minecraft.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bert Roberge posted:

During the Elon Musk episode Rick goes on a rant about how it's okay for adults to love playing Minecraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJjIMXjSZHM

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/hEnereyG/status/1204047567417298944

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bert Roberge posted:

wait, were there people who were upset about adults playing minecraft

this is just the christian persecution complex all over again. between this and roko's basilisk I think I just had a crack ping moment

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScrubLeague posted:

the cool thing about star wars is none of the original trilogy is remarkably better than anything else in the series

:wrong:

what a lot of people don't pick up on, that divides the original trilogy from the prequel and sequel trilogies, is the fact that it's largely an apolitical movie that lifts a lot of real world politics in order for people to relate to the story and what's going on - the empire is Nazis, the Falcon turrets are styled off WW2 bombers, the rebellion is styled off the vietcong (most obviously in ROTJ), but the story is vague enough that you can apply a multitude of readings to it - i.e. it's a libertarian movie about the evils of centralized government, or it's an indictment of white supremacist imperialism, whatever you wanna say, the movie really doesn't rebuff those arguments.

So then we get to the Prequels, which are this weird parallel to the Bush years, and Lucas goes all in on making this a sort of direct parable for what's happening, and it becomes a complete mess without a real personal story to it to invest the viewer. The entire plot centers around Senator Palpatine being this sort of clairvoyant mastermind whose entire scheme relies on so much happening exactly how he plans that it turns him into this sort of godlike figure, a Great Man of History theory on way too much cocaine.

Then you flip over to the Sequel Trilogy, and it refuses to touch anything resembling political imagery, and is outright nonsensical. The Empire's gone, but there's a First Order that's terrorists except everything they have is bigger and dumber, and they can wipe out solar systems, and the guy in charge of it gets chopped in half but it doesn't really mean anything, and then oh whoops turns out Palpatine was still alive this whole time and he did the same poo poo he did in the prequels with a super mastermind plan involving vlogging droids and oh actually the Death Star 2 throne room survived and he's just been chilling the whole fuckin' time waiting for this climax, and now he has a Sith fleet which is bigger and dumber than the Dark Order fleet and hey wait just where exactly did all this poo poo come from anyways this makes no goddamn sense

It's really fuckin' impressive how much of a fine line the original trilogy walked and how the other trilogies really hosed everything up in entirely different yet similar ways.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Honestly I think the thing is that the OT had a ton of flaws that you just don't care about because it was overall good

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The originals were not apolitical you fool.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

The originals were not apolitical you fool.

Someone rushed to the reply button before reading the entire paragraph.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Someone rushed to the reply button before reading the entire paragraph.

The prequels really aren’t about Bush either.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
just lol at pretending that anyone can tell cspam posters and the rick and morty fanbase apart

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

been watching the watchmen and lol its loving garbage

the last four loving episodes have been almost completely flashbacks, but finally revealing the actual meta plot of the series, and its out of left field because its too loving dumb to let slip early 7th cavalry want to imprison dr manhattan, who is sister night's husband and she has known the whole time, and kill him to become dr manhattan. the loving plot all revolves around the blue wonder and they missed the memo that manhattan is supposed to biting commentary on how lovely superman is and how humans (particularly americans) love the loving idea of a big daddy strongman

its obvious that all of the reviewers that gave it stellar reviews were only allowed to see the first few episodes of this rubbish

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Why would Doctor Manhattan even be involved in terrestrial affairs?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so what youre saying is that doctor manhatten is basically santa claus

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
The only good thing about the watchmen show are the Ozymandias scenes.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Reverend Dr posted:

been watching the watchmen and lol its loving garbage

the last four loving episodes have been almost completely flashbacks, but finally revealing the actual meta plot of the series, and its out of left field because its too loving dumb to let slip early 7th cavalry want to imprison dr manhattan, who is sister night's husband and she has known the whole time, and kill him to become dr manhattan. the loving plot all revolves around the blue wonder and they missed the memo that manhattan is supposed to biting commentary on how lovely superman is and how humans (particularly americans) love the loving idea of a big daddy strongman

its obvious that all of the reviewers that gave it stellar reviews were only allowed to see the first few episodes of this rubbish

i stopped watching a few weeks ago, and i gotta say that your synopsis of the twist there is only making me glad that i cut my losses when i did. that's a complete misunderstanding of every theme that the original story was trying to tell

anyway i'm almost done with the righteous gemstones and it has wildly exceeded my expectations. generally i was disinterested in danny mcbride because i just didn't find his judd apatow-style comedy shows / movies to be very funny (he felt like a super johnny-come-lately to that style of comedy) but him being cast in a slightly more serious dramatic role has actually worked well imo.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i stopped watching a few weeks ago, and i gotta say that your synopsis of the twist there is only making me glad that i cut my losses when i did. that's a complete misunderstanding of every theme that the original story was trying to tell

It's really awesome how loving hard that show went off the rails and took the premise that had people interested "what would the world look like in the aftermath of the events of Watchmen" and said "awh gently caress it let's just go back to all the old favorites" with zero loving clue what they want to do with it. the idea of transferring Dr. Manhattan's powers to someone else is just fuckin' batshit dumb

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

Honestly I think the thing is that the OT had a ton of flaws that you just don't care about because it was overall good

a new hope is the best of the OT and you could lift half an hour out of both empire and jedi and they'd be better.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ScrubLeague posted:

a new hope is the best of the OT and you could lift half an hour out of both empire and jedi and they'd be better.

suck my rear end

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
no thank you

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Marine has a high chance of being an rear end in a top hat, more at 11.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Why would Doctor Manhattan even be involved in terrestrial affairs?

"I'm in love with you."

"Why?"

"because the plot demands it."

Yeah, Jeremy Irons and Tim Blake Nelson are the only saving graces for this. It's a hatewatch at this point

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loving the contrast of opening this thread today and discovering that watchmen has apparently been leading up to the plot of an old superfriends episode then i go to the dailies and discover that watchmen not getting any golden globe nominations is apparently being reported as a snub of the actual best stuff on tv

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i saw some people furious that game of thrones didn't get any golden globe nominations except for the one guy for acting. you know, the show that fans were universally making GBS threads on through the entire season, who are now mad that it is not being recognized for excellence.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Nerd famdoms are fickle

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The only bit of game of thrones I've seen is the part where the dragon attacks the city and the acting is painfully bad in that scene so they don't even deserve that imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Game of Thrones was good until they ran out of books to adapt.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Game of Thrones was good until they ran out of books to adapt.

agreed, it wasn't perfect but it pretty much did what it set out to do the first few seasons

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
As someone who only watched two episodes of GoT, my takeaway from the show is that it was one among many :siren:Prestige Dramas:siren: that resonated in the late neoliberal era because audiences couldn't imagine politics being shaken by anything other than a machiavellian strongman or strongwoman.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the only prestige drama we need in this era is on cinema

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

righteous gemstones is real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Some Guy TT posted:

loving the contrast of opening this thread today and discovering that watchmen has apparently been leading up to the plot of an old superfriends episode then i go to the dailies and discover that watchmen not getting any golden globe nominations is apparently being reported as a snub of the actual best stuff on tv

Some of the craft involved (acting, cinematography, editing) are really drat good enough to get some noms.

But also anyone that has worked in the field knows right well that no matter how good your craft was, if it was on a lovely show, you won't get anything other than your paycheck.