Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nalin posted:

If you don't mind spending an extra $20, you can get some good adapters printed up for you from Thingiverse.

Also, watch this video on how to take off the normal headstrap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPsFPOYyR5Q

For $2 of Zelcro and a Ziptie or keyring you can make a great connection. You really don't need a printed adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Beat saber is so good poo poo wow

I’m comparing the quest to a borrowed PSVR and I am sorely missing Rez and Tetris Effect however

If you have a proper cable and a proper computer you can play both via Oculus Link.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
can I just say "actually what you are arguing about is my friends fault and you're an rear end in a top hat for criticizing facebook" is my favourite thread swerve in a long time.

a lone bright spot in a sea of absolutely terrible posts. log off everyone please.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

explosivo posted:

Is there any way that the hand tracking on the Quest isn't total poo poo? It seems like a cool add-on but I imagine it'll be using something similar to what Kinect used to track hands which probably won't be great. Which isn't the worst thing in the world considering that it's just a value added thing but I am curious to see how it works.

They've shown demos where people said it was fine, I think it will be pretty good. The big problem is it has really limited field of view (just in the center) can't handle occlusions (hands should probably stay on their halves) and it has high latency. I really don't think it's going to be used much for games but it's perfect for enterprise training stuff. Hand tracking is going to be great for media, and other low input tasks, but we won't be able to play Beat Saber with it.

I can also see the hand tracking being amazing for think like a Hotas/physical controls. If you get the Hotas in the right place you'll be able to see your hand close in on the Hotas. While close to the Hotas, show it's relative position but no hands (Tomato presence). Then fade your hand back in when you release and start to move from the Hotas towards switched or what not.

Regarding this being Kinect 3, no it should be MUCH better since they have 2 cameras in a fixed position with good binocular overlap a couple inches from your hands. Kinect had to work hard with cameras to identify so much from a pretty extreme distance. The density and quality of information that the Quest has should be miles better than the Kinect.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Walrus posted:

can I just say "actually what you are arguing about is my friends fault and you're an rear end in a top hat for criticizing facebook" is my favourite thread swerve in a long time.

a lone bright spot in a sea of absolutely terrible posts. log off everyone please.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?s=20

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I appreciate that the top thread or whatever they call those in twitter is someone with a privated account and another person who has been suspended.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

How sturdy is the Quest generally? Going to Florida in a couple weeks for the holidays and my sisters want to try it, but I dunno if I want to risk my expensive piece of tech by shoving it in a suitcase. Is there some sort of carrying case people use?

I used the original box as a case when I traveled. It's a bit space inefficient but not too bad. There are many different cases people use, Oculus has an official one that works if you haven't made any mods and don't carry anything extra.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Boneworks soon for your 120 hours of stabbing a notheadcrab with your big steely tool

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My C drive typically just has windows + whatever critical software designed by mouthbreathers who are bad at their jobs

Everything else lives on the D drive and/or NAS. I have been doing steam games over NAS using gigabit ethernet for what 7 years now? 2012 onward. It is a little slow but not much. Maybe 20% longer to boot games. Steam is able to figure it out and doesn't have to re-download everything if just finds it and then updates whatever files need be. Garbage-poo poo like Battlefield 4/1/5 etc that are 60GB live on a local disk for obvious reasons.

Nothing important is stored on the C drive, only temporary stuff like c:/users/hadlock/Downloads gets saved there. Then if the OS crashes, the disk crashes, virus/ransomware/etc happens, just reformat the drive and point steam at //nas/steamgames/ , all my documents are still in //nas/hadlocks-documents etc. Storing actual important poo poo on your C drive is a really bad idea and has been since internet computer viruses became a thing back in like 1996.

explosivo posted:

Is there any way that the hand tracking on the Quest isn't total poo poo? It seems like a cool add-on but I imagine it'll be using something similar to what Kinect used to track hands which probably won't be great. Which isn't the worst thing in the world considering that it's just a value added thing but I am curious to see how it works.

Stuff like the web browser, netflix, hulu amazon prime, rental movies etc. Probably video chat controls, not to mention gestures in VR chat stuff. There's a lot of passive entertainment stuff where hand tracking is acceptable for menus. Controllers will likely always be preferred for active entertainment stuff.

Eventually facebook messenger/whatsapp will get a VR mode where you can VR chat with people and then the hand tracking will become pretty obvious. Think of the average teenage girl telling a story and how much hand motions play into their stories.

V1 Oculus Quest has 6DOF head tracking + hand tracking

Now imagine VR chat using eye tracking, blink-tracing, 6DOF head tracking + 6DOF hand tracking. Would not surprise me if the V1.5 or V2.0 Quest has eye tracking, even if it's crude 9 position (think numpad) eye tracking.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Double-posting

Is hand tracking turned on with a software flag in OS v11.0.0 (current version, AFAIK) or do you have to wait for the headset to upgrade to OS v11.1.0 or v12.0.0 or what

Has anyone actually gotten to use it yet

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hadlock posted:

Double-posting

Is hand tracking turned on with a software flag in OS v11.0.0 (current version, AFAIK) or do you have to wait for the headset to upgrade to OS v11.1.0 or v12.0.0 or what

Has anyone actually gotten to use it yet

Page says it's for v12.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ValveNewsNetwor/status/1203913948858322944

Left 4 Dead VR, I want to believe.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Gabe confirmed it on accident in some interview or some such. Its happening!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oculus, why are you releasing Hand Tracking for the Quest UI now and not releasing the Developer SDK for a whole week?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hand tracking is a bit of a headline feature, announcing support for it before Christmas makes sense from a marketing perspective even if it's somewhat limited in scope.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

If you work on something and then let criticism of it on twitter get to you, that's a you problem, and you need to talk to a therapist. (not that there's anything wrong with that, everybody needs therapy)

But if people weren't attacking them by name, that's unreasonable to be upset about.

Also, Facebook has loving billions of dollars and can afford to fix that software. Even if "That engineer" got upset and quit, there should be a whole team of engineers working on solving these things.

I'm sorry but your post is just absolutely ridiculous. There's some security issues, but there are solutions. The fact that everybody else manages but Facebook is fine? The idea that because they're "facebook" they can't get away with having any possible security issues compared to anybody else is hilarious because they have all kinds of security issues! They've been loving up security left and right. You're making it like facebook is held to an impossible standard they strive to maintain, and I'm sorry but what?! No, that absolutely does not have any bearing in reality. Facebook doesn't give a gently caress and constantly fucks up.

Their motto is "move fast and break stuff" and they're loving up our society and the elections but don't care because they're making profit hand over fist.

"won't someone think of the poor gigantic multi-billion corporations?"

And then to say "SO THAT'S WHY, YOU loving PRICK" at the concept of someone saying "wow, you should really be able to pick which folder you install this software to" is just... I'm sorry, but that's not reasonable by any stretch of the imagination. I didn't say "Your friend <name here> is a lovely programmer!" so gently caress off.

Jesus loving christ, calm the gently caress down about install folders for fucks sake.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Hand tracking is a bit of a headline feature, announcing support for it before Christmas makes sense from a marketing perspective even if it's somewhat limited in scope.

Without the SDK all you functionally achieve is "Which of my favourite games can I try this hot new feature on? Oh, nothing I guess :nallears:". This is the kind of thing the SDK should've been out among developers well release. Like with the Index Controllers and its three-odd iterations of prototypes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So, how about that Left for Dead VR rumour

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

So, how about that Left for Dead VR rumour

I feel like left 4 dead vr would... feel stale at this point if its the same formula. That walking dead game looks really good, so its got a tough zombie act to follow.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 10, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

I feel like left 4 dead vr would... feel stale at this point if its the same formula. That walking dead game looks really good, so its got a touch zombie act to follow.

Not really. "In VR!!" is legitimately a big factor for making old ideas good again, and with a game like Left 4 Dead where you have to scavenge along the way it potentially forces you to actually search nooks and crannies rather than just "on the table to your left". Plus you're sacrificing weapon stability just to reach down and grab anything, so your friends better be watching your goddamn back and oh gently caress, Coach ran off solo and now he got hit by a Hunter :cripes:.

OH gently caress THE JOCKEY IS ON MY HEAD GETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFF :supaburn:

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
deleted, don't want to continue a silly argument

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 10, 2019

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Without the SDK all you functionally achieve is "Which of my favourite games can I try this hot new feature on? Oh, nothing I guess :nallears:". This is the kind of thing the SDK should've been out among developers well release. Like with the Index Controllers and its three-odd iterations of prototypes.

It really seems more like it's meant for media consumption and browsing than games, so the launch strategy makes more sense when you consider that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Devs read everything, good and bad, but honestly only the bad stuff really sticks with you. It turns out when you really enjoy working on a product you love, criticism, no matter how correct/incorrect, will be 90% of what the engineers see. I guarantee you that any possible complaint y'all can make is known and has been discussed/argued/fought over multiple times. Often times there are a lot of really really difficult trade offs that have to be made in order to actually ship a product.

"won't someone think of the poor gigantic multi-billion corporations?"

No, but maybe you should be a bit more thoughtful of the actual workers behind the products.

How do you know the people being critical aren't being thoughtful about the actual workers? You don't, which means telling people to be more thoughtful is meaningless if the workers are going to take negative criticism personally. If someone front-loads a complaint with "I'm not blaming the workers BUT" that won't change a thing. The cycle will continue, 90% being seen by engineers, etc etc.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. "In VR!!" is legitimately a big factor for making old ideas good again, and with a game like Left 4 Dead where you have to scavenge along the way it potentially forces you to actually search nooks and crannies rather than just "on the table to your left". Plus you're sacrificing weapon stability just to reach down and grab anything, so your friends better be watching your goddamn back and oh gently caress, Coach ran off solo and now he got hit by a Hunter :cripes:.

OH gently caress THE JOCKEY IS ON MY HEAD GETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFF :supaburn:

100% agreed.

We were playing L4D2 the other night, and I kept wishing we were in VR the entire time. When you've got poo poo all over you, being able to shove them back with your actual hands and stuff? oh god, that'll be so much drat fun.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

KakerMix posted:

How do you know the people being critical aren't being thoughtful about the actual workers?

Breakfast All Day posted:

Yeah I have 0% sympathy for this FAANG failson who for six figgies couldn't write a basic windows installer in the 20xxs.

:iiam:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I hate you all.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Tom Guycot posted:

I feel like left 4 dead vr would... feel stale at this point if its the same formula. That walking dead game looks really good, so its got a tough zombie act to follow.

VR inherently means it's an entirely different kind of game but at this point I'd even be stoked for a non-VR L4D3 that does little to change the formula.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

One person isn't all people, maybe you should separate the the individual posters from the overall forum before you pass judgment #wow #thoughtful

treat posted:

VR inherently means it's an entirely different kind of game but at this point I'd even be stoked for a non-VR L4D3 that does little to change the formula.

If we are getting Left 4 Dead VR
1. I'll be stoked
2. The people pissed about Half-Life Alyx are going to go nuclear

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Shine posted:

I hate you all.

:same:

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

KakerMix posted:

If we are getting Left 4 Dead VR
1. I'll be stoked
2. The people pissed about Half-Life Alyx are going to go nuclear

Didn't Valve say that they're working on 3 full VR Games a while back? HL:A, L4D:VR, ???

edit: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-10-valve-is-making-three-fully-fledged-vr-games

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tom Guycot posted:

I played the new resident evil on my PS4VR and it was horrifying, totally encompassing, and terrific.

Playing it on the tv was just YAWN. But VR made it great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Didn't Valve say that they're working on 3 full VR Games a while back? HL:A, L4D:VR, ???

edit: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-10-valve-is-making-three-fully-fledged-vr-games

I'd wager a Portal game at this point, because half the purpose of them is probably as "how-to's" for other developers like the Index hardware. HL:A is the single-player shooter game. L4D:VR is the Multiplayer game. A Portal game would be decent how-to for something puzzle-based.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

This would own bones. I'd take this and / or a proper VR conversion of Killing Floor 2 that interfaces with the flat version so there's an actual community, like the VR conversion of Payday 2. With the dominant wave strategies always being "find a small room and huddle up in it", it's something that would mostly feel pretty good in a room scale scenario.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

If the entire of valves new wave of releases, this long after the last time they released a proper game, is entirely VR focused, that would be enormous

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If the entire of valves new wave of releases, this long after the last time they released a proper game, is entirely VR focused, that would be enormous

It would fit exactly with what Valve would do though. They already announced a new Half-Life game, after so long, and are making it exclusive to VR and aren't even attempting a non-VR version. I know we in this thread know why (because you would be making TWO games not converting one) but just on the face of it we're already passed absurd.

If they also have a Left 4 Dead VR game then that would be more expected than a surprise. I would be kind of surprised if there is a VR Portal game though, if only because when Valve talks about Alyx they specifically call out why they didn't go with Portal when examining what options they had to VR.

EDIT Oh man Boneworks real dang soon

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 10, 2019

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

gamers are babies that can't be trusted

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
It'll be a VR version of Artifact

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not really a great gaming feature, it's something that's nice for media consumption. Hands for watching video or browsing the web and controllers for playing games seems like a pretty great combination.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

VRtifact is such an awesome name they pretty much have to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Chadzok posted:

VRtifact is such an awesome name they pretty much have to

VRtifact would actually be cool even with the boring cards as programmed, but an Artifact game takes way too drat long for one VR session without breaks.