Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also the phrase "CPU startup" makes me intensely uncomfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

my wife wants to get cameras with 2 way audio for the house so she can check in on our cats while we're on vacation for 3 weeks(we have a cat sitter stopping in daily to do litter and feeding wet food). how can i accomplish this with the least amount of gently caress to my sec, and also least amount of work because i'm a lazy piece of poo poo and hate computer janitor poo poo?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KidDynamite posted:

my wife wants to get cameras with 2 way audio for the house so she can check in on our cats while we're on vacation for 3 weeks(we have a cat sitter stopping in daily to do litter and feeding wet food). how can i accomplish this with the least amount of gently caress to my sec, and also least amount of work because i'm a lazy piece of poo poo and hate computer janitor poo poo?

Ask your cat sitter to take pictures and send them to you while they're there. Your cats will care about your voice exactly as much as they did before.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shame Boy posted:

it’s a riscy business

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

use some old cell phones and get one of the myriad apps that allows this functionality. factory reset the phones when you get home if you’re paranoid

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KidDynamite posted:

set up a twitch stream

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

buy one of the cheap IP cameras that does this and then remove it when you return from vacation. even if it sends all your video off to chinese government perverts or whatever, what are they gonna see? cats?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

buy one of the cheap IP cameras that does this and then remove it when you return from vacation. even if it sends all your video off to chinese government perverts or whatever, what are they gonna see? cats?

Shows up on Shodan and becomes a unwilling meme.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
take a hundred pictures of the cat, empty living room, etc and photoshop a camera border on it. when she asks to see cat, just pick one and show her from photos dot app

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

take a hundred pictures of the cat, empty living room, etc and photoshop a camera border on it. when she asks to see cat, just pick one and show her from photos dot app

Schrodinger's Security Camera for Cats: The cat could be there, but it could be anywhere.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

CommieGIR posted:

Schrodinger's Security Camera for Cats: The cat could be there, but it could be anywhere.

By observing the cat, you collapse its reality into either its death or life, better to not know, OP

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1203771427679166464

homebrewers and emulation always feels like the wild west, but this one still made me gasp

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

motoh posted:

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1203771427679166464

homebrewers and emulation always feels like the wild west, but this one still made me gasp

I think XP is still the os of choice for hardcore emulator boxes (like with crts) because it has lower input lag than more recent os'es. i hope they're airgapped at least

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shame Boy posted:

the truth is intel can't make moonshots any more, they require stodgy improvement in every benchmark without regression

someone else with access to similar process tech could make a huge dent in x86 by Not Caring about every little corner

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JawnV6 posted:

someone else with access to similar process tech

seems like a p deece barrier to entry

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

another day, another s3 bucket. this time 700k birth certificate applications, not taken down after disclosure

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

JawnV6 posted:

the truth is intel can't make moonshots any more, they require stodgy improvement in every benchmark without regression

someone else with access to similar process tech could make a huge dent in x86 by Not Caring about every little corner

the problem is that process tech costs billions of dollars

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the way intel's going you can probably just call up tsmc and not be at too much of a disadvantage process-wise.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Captain Foo posted:

sure, a decade ago

lately tho?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

rumor is intels testing keller’s new uarch on sammy 7nm (not prod)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Captain Foo posted:

aren't rent-a-fabs pumping out chips at smaller processes than intel these days?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Lutha Mahtin posted:

aren't rent-a-fabs pumping out chips at smaller processes than intel these days?

yeah, tsmc 7nm is roughly equivalent to intel’s 10nm, except you can actually buy a range of consumer products made with it

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
How do you even begin to pretend to enter the CPU market. Intel is a monopoly because making CPUs is hard. Not sure how you ~disrupt~ something which has approached the limits of whats physically possible after 40 years of R&D.

Also the whole several billion dollars worth of barrier to entrance and the fact you need to achieve parity price-performance with the company that is responsible for getting CPUs to where they are in the first place.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

another day, another s3 bucket. this time 700k birth certificate applications, not taken down after disclosure

Goddamn people dont pay attention

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
“i can’t imagine a CPU smaller than a desktop processor”

mystes
May 31, 2006

Methanar posted:

How do you even begin to pretend to enter the CPU market. Intel is a monopoly because making CPUs is hard. Not sure how you ~disrupt~ something which has approached the limits of whats physically possible after 40 years of R&D.
Or intel had a monopoly because they were ahead in terms of process nodes and now that TSMC has caught up everyone is going to be making competitive CPUs and there will be tons more experimentation with architectures.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

JawnV6 posted:

“i can’t imagine a CPU smaller than a desktop processor”

x86 was mentioned earlier.

Phones and smaller-than-desktop stuff is already using ARM

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
that’s it? x86, arm, end of list?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My bad I didn't think of the upcoming SPARC and Itanium renaissance

mystes
May 31, 2006

RISC-V is a joke for desktop processors right now but IIRC it's already being used by companies like WD for embedded applications?

Edit: Also, since you edited your post to include itanium did you mean SPARC as a joke? Because OpenSPARC is also a thing.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I’m looking forward to the second coming of alpha

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
mips is back baby!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
mlyps

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
POWER never left. I still see ads for it in the lifts sometimes.

---

Hackers can turn your PC into a PS3!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i mean introducing a new cpu isa is really hard, and building your own fabs is really expensive, but there’s a lot more to chipmaking than those two things (and a lot of chips aren’t cpus)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

cinci zoo sniper posted:

there's no punishment and no remediation. it's not going to get better (it's going to get dramatically worse). Government departments are chronically underfunded and IT, despite being literally the most important part of any modern business, without which it would immediately cease to operate and or exist, is considered superfluous.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

~Coxy posted:

POWER never left. I still see ads for it in the lifts sometimes.

you can buy a power9 workstation if you have $6000+ burning a hole in your pocket

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Methanar posted:

lol

it is hard and expensive sure but they've practiced abusive monopolistic power for ages

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

transmeta seemed like a cool idea (and they also had linus!) but I was also probably reading about it in physical magazines which also were excited about itanium and internet2

i think i used a transmeta powered compute at a micro center once??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I just want a 5ghz z80, what’s so hard