Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

terrenblade posted:

I should clarify it's for a gift.

Bribe or repayment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So it turns out that me taking the rest of the week off last week probably wasn't the best idea.

No no no no no. You were probably just kvetching, but time off is never a bad idea.

poo poo going sideways on your day off is not your fault.

Unless your company has a “be in the office to push a button or you’ll be fired” day PTO is never a mistake.

And even if your company has a “be in the office to push a button or you’ll be fired” day and you miss it due to PTO, it’s probably even more not a mistake.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 10, 2019

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

ptier posted:

Since I have been where I am (Higher Ed Public) we have been able to schedule maintenance for when it works for my group. This is usually times like 10pm on a Tuesday or things of that nature. If it is a HUGE outage, I will totally do that stuff on a weekend, but for little things that have low risk and small windows of downtime, (like renewing the SSL cert for our ADFS, or doing a reboot of a campus facing system) I like to just do them overnight on a week day so I get to keep my weekends and planned family time intact. Hell for a normal IIS cert we will just do it live because no one will even notice. We are understaffed and forcing a group of two to use weekends for all maintenance seems like a faster way to make us burn out. Its part of the reason why I bailed from the MSP Crucible over into more stable land.

EDIT: forgot to add: "And now I am starting to get push back about when we choose to do stuff (planned out weeks in advance with change management meeting), because of perceived problems with the time READ: politics"

How does your org / group / department handle this kind of stuff? Have you found a way to get your point across without using "godamn" every other word like my first draft email would say?

Generally speaking a well operating business agrees ahead of time what services are mission critical and then all change control stuff is based on that. You shouldn't need to replace a cert out of hours, for example, unless it's on something that breaks the business if it's down (i.e your HR/Finance websites).

The reason places don't do this is because it involves a lot of introspection into how the business operates and some hard calls, like "actually, random-campus-department, you aren't so important that you have a say when we take your infrastructure down"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Welp, what a wild day. I had a long winded post in mind when I sat down to type this out, but my work life at this point has had so many changes so quickly that I can't even keep up with them myself.

Long story short, an employee that I helped find and infosec job got me lunch date with the CIO of his current company while he was in my area. The CIO gave me an offer of a Director of Information Security for about 5 grand less base than I make now. It does however include 32 PTO days, 12 holidays, and unlimited sick time. It also includes a health care package that is so good my wife almost cried because of how lovely both of our coverage has been for so long.

Its also completely from home and I have never had a silo'd infosec job, much less a leadership role in infosec. Oh yeah, also healthcare when I have never worked in healthcare. Jesus take the wheel.

I start the 6th. I have no clue how to break it to the people I work for or the people who I got jobs here for when I made my last exodus just a month ago. :iiam:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

drat man I don't think I've even cut my fingernails since you last switched jobs.

Congrats, sounds like a sweet gig.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Sickening posted:

Welp, what a wild day. I had a long winded post in mind when I sat down to type this out, but my work life at this point has had so many changes so quickly that I can't even keep up with them myself.

Long story short, an employee that I helped find and infosec job got me lunch date with the CIO of his current company while he was in my area. The CIO gave me an offer of a Director of Information Security for about 5 grand less base than I make now. It does however include 32 PTO days, 12 holidays, and unlimited sick time. It also includes a health care package that is so good my wife almost cried because of how lovely both of our coverage has been for so long.

Its also completely from home and I have never had a silo'd infosec job, much less a leadership role in infosec. Oh yeah, also healthcare when I have never worked in healthcare. Jesus take the wheel.

I start the 6th. I have no clue how to break it to the people I work for or the people who I got jobs here for when I made my last exodus just a month ago. :iiam:

after reading the infosec thread only thing i learned was keep all passwords in plan text, roll your own crpyto, and don't let your people set their own password just send them what password you create.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Internet Explorer posted:

drat man I don't think I've even cut my fingernails since you last switched jobs.

:same:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Internet Explorer revealed to be Lo Pan.

Do, uh, all the infosec people work from home?

Man depending on the health care that might be all $5k there in premiums and deductible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Internet Explorer revealed to be Lo Pan.

Do, uh, all the infosec people work from home?

Man depending on the health care that might be all $5k there in premiums and deductible.

Yes, the monthly cost savings just in the plans makes up almost 3k savings a year and the deductibles are awesome.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I'd say depends what kind of whiskey you like. That pricetag doesn't really freak me out or make me think "expensive", but as above if you just plan to get smashed who cares what's in the bottle.

e: I have never tried the linked bottle.

I always recommend island whiskeys. This distillery has done some very well received bottlings over the years, so if we're going in blind go with a distillery with a rep. I haven't had this exact bottling, but I've never had a bottle from them that was less than superb.

http://www.melandrose.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=92743

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, after 6 months in an individual contributor role, looks like I'm stepping back into management.

You see, our docker cluster sort of sprung up as a semi-blessed but semi-shadow IT a few years ago. It had been mostly in the domain of developers, but there's been a lot of churn there and eventually landed with a new group of people who are in over their heads and moved under infrastructure. Well, the manager of that team said that she is leaving at the end of the year so I've been asked to step in as the lead of the team from both a technical and managerial perspective.

I know the basics of docker, but I got a shitton of learning to do to get up to speed the rest of this month. It's a big opportunity though since docker is very key to a lot of the applications and there's going to be a big containerization push over the next year and we're also going to be going all in with kubernetes. The big reason I was tapped for this role is I used to be the jack of all trades before we were acquired, running infra, app deployment pipeline, and troubleshooting application performance/stability. So I have both the infrastructure and application experience necessary for something like this.

I was supposed to be focusing on Azure after I came over to the infrastructure team, but efforts have sort of stalled there for now and I've been twiddling my thumbs for a bit, tackling the problems that needed a deep dive that others weren't able to work on. But it's been sorta slow. It will be nice to have something larger scale to focus on. I suspect I'll still be working a bit with Azure as well in the long run though, but there simply isn't much there to do at the moment.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I've been wondering if three years is too soon to leave my current job... Thanks for removing all doubt, Sickening.

And congratulations!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

Sweet new healthcare gig...

That's awesome. Congrats!

Speaking of new healthcare gigs... I was having some anxiety over turning in my notice at my current position without having a new job lined up. Fortune has smiled upon me. I received an offer for a new position on Friday, close to family. Now I'm just wrapping up projects and killing time until I can get out of Colorado next week.

*Side note: I'll be moving to a new city where I don't know anyone, so I'm gonna have to get temp housing for 2 weeks while I look for apartments etc... I haven't been paying attention but it seems like cities have wised up to AirBnB and are taxing the poo poo out of them now. $450 in taxes and fees for a 14 night stay. Decided to save $500 and book at a Hilton suites.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 10, 2019

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Sickening posted:

Congratz! And not all infosec people work from home (I wouldn't even though in my present place I could), but the option sure is nice. And good luck with those healthcare benefits, that is one thing that is keeping me from ever considering a position in the US.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sickening posted:

new healthcare job

I can already hear HR complaining about how employees today aren't loyal and job hop too much.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

abigserve posted:

Generally speaking a well operating business agrees ahead of time what services are mission critical and then all change control stuff is based on that. You shouldn't need to replace a cert out of hours, for example, unless it's on something that breaks the business if it's down (i.e your HR/Finance websites).

The reason places don't do this is because it involves a lot of introspection into how the business operates and some hard calls, like "actually, random-campus-department, you aren't so important that you have a say when we take your infrastructure down"

That a an extremely valid point. I feel like that is part of the issue we have here, lots of "new" leadership wants to fix all the problems all at once so we get mature process cycles on top of systems that really need some hard break-fix upgrades to get us to normal. Gonna have to have the talks to hopefully make sense of it all.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Received a request from finance to tell them what items on a list of equipment are still in use, vs poo poo that can be taken off the books for accounting purposes.

*opens spreadsheet*

It's literally just a list of "Category: server, description: (blank), Date purchased, asset value". No asset tag, vendor, vague description of the item, nothing. idk man, if I sent you a list of all t-shirts you've acquired in the last 10 years with nothing but the date you got it, how far would you get on narrowing that down?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

mllaneza posted:

I always recommend island whiskeys. This distillery has done some very well received bottlings over the years, so if we're going in blind go with a distillery with a rep. I haven't had this exact bottling, but I've never had a bottle from them that was less than superb.

http://www.melandrose.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=92743

Well alright then. I've ordered exactly one of those for myself from my store. Will report back.

Also big gratz Sickening. Your year is going out with a bang.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Our team is finally properly using JIRA & the Kanban board :( RIP just creating tickets to track my work post-completion and immediately marking them done

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

George H.W. oval office posted:

My boss is a former marine flight mechanic. Went into oil and gas afterwards because it was easy to make money off IT. Sharp dude and doesn’t at all fit the stereotype of dipshit enlisted type.

One of my former bosses was a former marine as well and he was all about independent action at low levels. He used to tell us over and over "The worst decision is no decision" which sounds short and pithy enough to be a military mantra?

Maybe it's a branch of service thing?

:shrug:

E: I also don't remember if he was in IT while he was in?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

One of my former bosses was a former marine as well and he was all about independent action at low levels. He used to tell us over and over "The worst decision is no decision" which sounds short and pithy enough to be a military mantra?

Maybe it's a branch of service thing?

:shrug:

E: I also don't remember if he was in IT while he was in?

I've found the marines are different. They have had to scrounge and go way outside normal lines to get poo poo done, and the org is all about getting poo poo done. One coworker of mine was a marine and he knocked poo poo out on a daily basis.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My boss is former military, but he didn't join right out of high school. He spent some time in .com era isp work before joining after 9/11.

He has some cool stories about flying crypto appliances between fobs and is mostly a pretty good boss.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Some of it is Sturgeon's law--there's stinkers everywhere.

For enlisted, if you are considered leadership material, you're climbing the ranks as soon as you have minimum time in rank. For technically proficient "great at your job" people, you were encouraged to make rank but not being actively pushed. For everyone else, you show up every morning, do your job, and make rank when you're pushed to. For enlisted that did a straight 20 without going warrant/officer, I'd ask why they didn't stick around long enough to retire as E8 or higher. With IT, it's an especially tough sell for enlisted retirees--that E8 could be 6 years past being in a technical position. E6 is about the sweet spot hands-on wise, but if they're E6 at 20, they could have just as easily been coasting.

I would rate a vet that did their 4-8 years and got a degree more highly vs a 20 year retiree with no degree, or just as bad, a degree from a diploma mill. Some guys screw up and have a kid at 21, and it's tough to quit your job, get your degree, and support a family. It's also really easy to just show up to work every day and never push yourself, and not get that degree. I wouldn't rule out vets or reservists without a degree, but if one came across my desk with no certs, no degree, and 20 years of generic "military" experience, I wouldn't put them in a role where a lot is expected of them. Security guard, sure. IT director or senior IT lead? They'd just be incompetent, never advance, and drive the talent off. We've got some vets/reservists in helpdesk that are supposed to be admins, and it's killing our IT program.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My brain is boggled that ex-military people in IT is actually a thing for you guys. Like, what, that's so weird.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Veterans are far more pleasant coworkers and bosses than the usual segregationist suburbanites imo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

My brain is boggled that ex-military people in IT is actually a thing for you guys. Like, what, that's so weird.

Just because Canada doesn't have a military

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

Just because Canada doesn't have a military

Excuse me, we have 4 submarines, sir. They work, mostly, sort of.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The boot sniffing in the phoenix project was pretty lol

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

PCjr sidecar posted:

The boot sniffing in the phoenix project was pretty lol

speaking of boot sniffing, remember when they tried to make CADPAT boots? lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ok I'll bite: Why?

Not everybody who joins the military is going to get blown up or stay in for life.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Canada doesn’t have a military-industrial complex to burn trillions of dollars for fun.

Point and laugh at them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Woof Blitzer posted:

Canada doesn’t have a military-industrial complex to burn trillions of dollars for fun.

Point and laugh at them.

But I mean, they have a military. People who join and then leave before they're retirement age still need jobs, and the idea that none of them would work in IT is very weird.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The military is usually a low skill job provider that produces low skill workers. There are exceptions, just like anything, but I am a little confused why anybody would expect military folks to be premium candidates on average. I guess adding a security clearance helps cut costs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

But I mean, they have a military. People who join and then leave before they're retirement age still need jobs, and the idea that none of them would work in IT is very weird.

I dunno, our military is very very small and I've never known anyone who has been in it, let alone worked with any ex-members. It's just not a thing here, it doesn't factor into anything :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The city I grew up in was the largest population center within a couple hundred miles of 2 air force bases and 2 army bases.

The place I live now is right next to a joint air force/army base.

In addition this state has a history of having former military move here after getting out.

You can't throw a stone snowball iceball in this state without hitting someone that is either former or active duty military.

e: changed to reflect current weather conditions

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dunno, our military is very very small and I've never known anyone who has been in it, let alone worked with any ex-members. It's just not a thing here, it doesn't factor into anything :shrug:

I had a boss once that was in the Canadian military. He joined at 18, after highschool, they essentially put him through college for free. He learned programming, database administration and dunno what else in there. What they did do is they required from him to work for them for 10 years after finishing school to not have to pay anything. He's now 50+ years old, so it was quite some time ago, but I presume it can still be a thing.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Point and laugh at them.

That military industrial complex is a huge chunk of the american economy. You basically owe your standard of living to it and to the fact that USA has been a superpower for 100 years now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Excuse me, we have 4 submarines, sir. They work, mostly, sort of.

Yeah, but they're explicitly there to rescue polar bears stranded on small chunks of ice slowly floating out to sea.

Volguus posted:

That military industrial complex is a huge chunk of the american economy. You basically owe your standard of living to it and to the fact that USA has been a superpower for 100 years now.

This is technically true in a Keynesian "dig a ditch to fill it back in" kind of way, but we actually have useful things we could be spending all that labor on instead.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 10, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

Yeah, but they're explicitly there to rescue polar bears stranded on small chunks of ice slowly floating out to sea.

God, if only :smith:

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

The area I live in has:
- The only shipyard that builds nuclear aircraft carriers ( in the US)
- One of two that makes nuke subs ( in the US, and the same shipyard)
- Largest naval base on the east coast
- Army Doctrine / Logistics command
- Air Force Base
- Naval Air Base
- Seal base
- joint operations base
- Some NSA / CIA stuff (maybe! who knows. *But yea totally*)
- Fed Navy Shipyard
- Naval Weapons Station

I can throw a rock and hit someone who was in the armed forces. ( He is my co-worker and I wouldn't do that. BUT I COULD! )

I live in 'Merica Junction: :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Pretty sure I've never actually met anybody in the canadian military.