Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Both Accel Zero Order and the part 2 chapter he wrote own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Someday I'm going to watch more thunderbolt fantasy, I tell myself, cuz that show rules

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Yeah Urobochi wanted to make the fate/zero event even darker, Nasu vetoed it and challenged him to give it a happy ending.

He can make great things when he’s not constantly doing dark depressing stuff.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The issue that he is consistently utterly terrible about women, even in his better stuff.

Or rather, it's not that Urobuchi is incapable of writing a good or at least entertaining thing, but he has glaring, lovely issues that are so consistently present that they get extremely tiresome and their presence almost always brings down a work dramatically if those issues are ones that you can't just compartmentalize and overlook. Thunderbolt Fantasy s2 is the most recent example - was enjoying it immensely and then the woman who was at the beginning stages of good character growth, and I'm not sure why I'm spoiling this because anyone familiar with him knows exactly what it's gonna be even if they haven't seen it, gets unceremoniously offed by a guy to serve his own development as the villain

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 7, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm beginning to think the problem isn't Fate as a whole but Gen Urobochi's contributions to it. :thunk:
lostbelt 3 was good but even it had a scene where we get to watch a goofy female antagonist who despite having done some evil stuff is played for laughs a fair bit get tortured in fairly graphic detail, with multiple references to how much pain shes in

because ???

and im a fan of madoka, but i think a lot of what sells those characters - the animation, the designs, the voice acting - was out of urobuchi's hands. obvs. im not saying 'everything i like about madoka has zero to do with urobuchi,' but its not unreasonable to say that madoka would have come across very differently if it was a visual novel or light novel he wrote mostly by himself.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 7, 2019

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Probably the rawest translation of Uro's Brain to Finished Product is Kikokugai and that's uh

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rody One Half posted:

I would not say "never" because again, Iri and Maiya exist.

Iri and Maiya are cool, but very much despite the role FZ actually gives them.

See, I never understood why people think Iri is a flat character. Maiya, I completely agree with. But Iri has agency, develops relationships, and chooses to actively support Kiritsugu. This is completely natural considering her nature and being a short-lived humonculous whose first contact with an ideal outside the Einzberns is Kiritsugu. He provides her something to aspire for outside of family doctrine. Obviously, it doesn't lead anywhere good, but her being willing to sacrifice herself for him isn't some unnatural piece of motivation. Hell, she even gets ticked at Kerry after he tries to dress down Saber. I think she's a great loving character, honestly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Probably because she doesn't have a character arc or really anything to do in the story other than "get murdered by Kotomine"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Again, I really like Iri and Maiya. But neither Uro originally nor Aoki in the anime gives them all that much purpose beyond eating poo poo for Kiritsugu.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Iri is the first real friend Saber has. She keeps Kiritsugu heading towards his goal even when he’s about to just jump ship and run away with her and Ilya. She scolds him when he mocks Saber. Her struggle against Kirei provides an additional layer of understanding for Kirei about what kind of man Kiritsugu is. She doesn’t really interact with anyone else.

I mean, it is an artifact of the story structure. The various parties of the 4HGW has far less interaction than the 5th beyond their own personal vendettas/backstories. There’s only really two stories going on in F/Z; Waver’s coming-of-age and set up for the Kerry/Kirei showdown. All the other characters are going to seem limited because theyre not the focus.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

f/zero would have been better if kiri had cheated on iri with aoki instead of maiya

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
you want the fictional character emiya kiritsugu to gently caress the director of the fate zero anime, aoki ei?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wanna AU where Maiya lives and raises Shirou after Kiritsugu dies and gets to have a character

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Space Flower posted:

you want the fictional character emiya kiritsugu to gently caress the director of the fate zero anime, aoki ei?

i meant aoi but sure why not

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How often does Mash cockblock Gudao Fujimaru in the games?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

I wanna AU where Maiya lives and raises Shirou after Kiritsugu dies and gets to have a character

Pretty sure that fanfic literally exists

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Grouchio posted:

How often does Mash cockblock Gudao Fujimaru in the games?

wtf is wrong with you

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Stairmaster posted:

wtf is wrong with you

It's a bit of a meme because Mashu does have a habit of interrupting any potential interaction that could be construed as romantic.

Also she did it in today's episode of Babylonia and was quite conspicuous about it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can't believe Grouchio would make a bad post

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rody One Half posted:

Again, I really like Iri and Maiya. But neither Uro originally nor Aoki in the anime gives them all that much purpose beyond eating poo poo for Kiritsugu.

that's not what a flat character means.

for Iri, everything AlternateNu said. she doesn't get to interact with everybody, but what she does have, gives her a decent amount of depth.

for Maiya, she gets really hosed over by barely having any screen time that's not with Kiritsugu, I'll grant that, but there's some kind of interesting stuff going on there with her perception of him and how it doesn't really line up with the actual person (and how this gets reflected in their relationship, with her taking it pretty seriously while Kiri... decidedly doesn't).

Rody One Half posted:

Probably the rawest translation of Uro's Brain to Finished Product is Kikokugai and that's uh

If it weren't for the :yikes: incest angle Kikokugai would be loving amazing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iri and Maiya are both potentially interesting characters who exist solely to move Kiritsugu's story along.

Like, yeah, Iri has motivations and chooses to sacrifice herself for Kiritsugu, but she's not a real person. Her main motivation is to sacrifice herself for Kiritsugu because Urobuchi wrote that to be her main motivation. And I don't think that's an inherently flawed choice, but Fate/Zero doesn't make it work, because there's very little screentime dedicated to why Irisviel would make that choice and what that choice means for her. We only get to see why Kiritsugu wants her to make that choice and what that choice means for him. Iri is still a good character, but she's a good character who's treated poorly by the story. And I don't mean in that she suffers, I mean in that the story only cares about her as a prop to make Kiritsugu sadder and as another way to kick Arturia in the ribs.

Like, compare her to Sakura, where Sakura's motivations, what her choices mean for her, and what Shirou's choices mean for her, are all things that are given a lot of screentime.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

sick of Applebees posted:

I wrote an erotic fan fiction about King Arthur, entitled "le Petite Morte d'Arthur"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/ClickAgain/status/1194861536864399360

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Finally watched Lost Butterfly

It's the feel-bad movie of the year

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blockhouse posted:

Finally watched Lost Butterfly

It's the feel-bad movie of the year

dubbed or subbed?

i've only seen the HF movies dubbed, though i'll probably go back and rewatch subbed with my fiancee before we see Spring Song, and... y'know, as someone who was really cold on the Zero dub and kind of meh on the UBW one, they're knocking it out of the loving park with these.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

dubbed or subbed?

i've only seen the HF movies dubbed, though i'll probably go back and rewatch subbed with my fiancee before we see Spring Song, and... y'know, as someone who was really cold on the Zero dub and kind of meh on the UBW one, they're knocking it out of the loving park with these.

Subbed. Watched it with my girlfriend who right after the movie walked downstairs and almost freaked out when she saw a mysterious red glow coming from the living room (someone left a Christmas decoration on)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I watched the Bunny Girl Senpai film last week and rate it better than Lost Butterfly as a feel-bad anime movie. It even shares the themes of a meddlesome self-sacrificial protagonist, and weighting the life of one person vs the happiness of many!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm not hugely familiar with Bunny Girl Senpai but you make me wanna check it out, because "better than Lost Butterfly" is a high loving bar

like i've been thinking about what my top 5 for this year is, and I feel like the only movie I'd be able to confidently and comfortably put above it is Us.

e: like, it's kind of funny, I'm not actually a huge anime person nowadays. most of the anime I care about in TYOOL 2019 is nostalgia poo poo for me. Dragon Ball and Gundam from childhood, Fate and Hellsing and Berserk from high school, and aside from the occasional time I go "huh that looks neat" and watch something blind, I don't really keep up anymore.

I'm approaching the HF movies as much more of a Movie Person and hooooooly gently caress they're good from that perspective.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 10, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Get Jordan Peele to do live action Fate IMO.

Like honestly the way he mines effective drama/horror out of the goofiest premises you've ever heard of reminds me of a lot of this Type Moon stuff at its best.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 10, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raxivace posted:

Get Jordan Peele to do live action Fate IMO.

Like honestly the way he mines effective drama/horror out of the goofiest premises you've ever heard of reminds me of a lot of this Type Moon stuff at its best.

That's a really good call gently caress

Denis Villenueve or Nicolas Winding Refn would probably be able to absolutely loving nail live-action Zero or HF, but I'm not sure they'd do well with the lighter side of the franchise, and Peele would nail both

e: holy poo poo, Refn doing Zero would be pretty genius, actually. it would just very much have to be him in Bronson/Drive mode and not Only God Forgives/Neon Demon mode (though a HF adaptation with Sakura as the primary protagonist instead of Shirou would get a lot out of the latter Refn, which is why I initially thought of him)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 10, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sell it as a young adult series, and then surprise them with the twist that it's actually really good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm honestly just waiting for GO to get big enough that it escapes weeb circles and becomes a mainstream thing in the west

Then poo poo will start popping off

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just do Mandy again, but this time with Fate characters and plot beats. Preferably with less cult leader penis.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Honestly, I feel like with the whole Fate multiverse, you could do an american version of Fate as an alternate timeline. It would take a lot of work to adapt it into a movie format anyway. But we'd get another remix of EMIYA out of it.

Personally I realy want an Hollow/Ataraxia anime.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah but who do you cast to play raikou

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Honestly, I feel like with the whole Fate multiverse, you could do an american version of Fate as an alternate timeline. It would take a lot of work to adapt it into a movie format anyway. But we'd get another remix of EMIYA out of it.

Personally I realy want an Hollow/Ataraxia anime.
We'll get there eventually after the HF films are done.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the only western fate stuff there really needs to be is pro-wrestlers doing references

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i feel like this is all just some weird cry for validation that you're never gonna get because an american fate thing would just be another step divorced from the original v/n

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There is only a single question regarding theoretical live action F/SN movie that really matters and you all should think really carefully about it:

Who would you cast to play Saber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They're adapting Fate/Koha-Ace into a full manga... and replacing Kohaku with an OC :negative:

Also Akiha but who gives a poo poo