Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

In It For The Tank posted:

If someone or something stops the rumbling from coming to fruition (that is, the total annihilation of everyone outside of Paradis), I'm gonna be so fuckin' mad.

Isayama has one chance to end a seinen manga with the protagonist causing a mass genocide and I don't want him to waste it. I want my media to be unexpected, and there's nothing more unexpected than the hero of the story triggering the total eradication of the human population outside a particular demographic. What an upset.

Also I hope my boy Floch survives because he is such a huge rear end in a top hat that for him to escape judgement would be such a twist.
gently caress off, seriously. You're arguing for genocide on the basis of novelty?

If the series actually ends like that, it will destroy all audience goodwill for the franchise. It will become a laughing stock in a landfill overnight, stanned only by ethno nationalists and tedious edgelords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Saul Goodman titan!

"Did someone here need an attorney?"

"BETTER CALL SAUL!"
The gently caress happened to the hair here? Someone spilled something on the paper...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Squidster posted:

gently caress off, seriously. You're arguing for genocide on the basis of novelty?

If the series actually ends like that, it will destroy all audience goodwill for the franchise. It will become a laughing stock in a landfill overnight, stanned only by ethno nationalists and tedious edgelords.
nah, not even close.

now, if all the other characters went along with it, that'd be one thing. but if eren does it and everyone fails to stop him? it'd be interesting, at least. horrific, for sure. a Bad End, absolutely. I'd be curious to see it play out that way. It's not going to, I don't think, but plenty more crazy things are absolutely going to happen before the end of this.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
At this point, there's no way for the series to end that won't piss a lot of people off. If Eren ends an unambiguous villain, Eren stans will be furious The Goodest Boy ever got done dirty by Ishiyama. If he has some secret heroic peace plan, people who don't have Eren body pillows will be upset his horrific actions post-time skip will have been swept under the rug or even justified. If he gets Talk no Jutsu'd into recant and redemption, the pragmatists and apologists alike will just get pissed AoT ended wishy-washy like Naruto, with no hard judgements on actions or idealogies one way or another.

For the record, I still believe the most likely outcome is Eren gets Sasuke'd.

yeah, sorry

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 6, 2019

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Squidster posted:

Haha yeah remember how the mass media shunned Alan Moore for the end of Watchmen? That was crazy.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Such an ending wouldn't fit with that last panel Isayama teased tho. Then again, that panel was lacking context. It would definitely be a hell of a twist if he were saying it to a baby he found surviving in the middle of a blasted hellscape or sth.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Perfect Potato posted:

It's fitting that when all these long standing characters are active and fighting for their lives Reiner's first instinctual action when The Apocalypse happens is to curl up into a ball in a corner and pass out
:negative:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

SpazmasterX posted:

Haha yeah remember how the mass media shunned Alan Moore for the end of Watchmen? That was crazy.
Watchmen was not centrally about race. It didn't have the unfortunate ghetto armbands imagery. Watchmen's ending, while intentionally shocking, was not literally the genocide of all non-white races.

I'm not saying that it won't have an omnicide ending, simply that this ending would be the instant fiery death of the brand.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

If someone or something stops the rumbling from coming to fruition (that is, the total annihilation of everyone outside of Paradis), I'm gonna be so fuckin' mad.

Isayama has one chance to end a seinen manga with the protagonist causing a mass genocide and I don't want him to waste it. I want my media to be unexpected, and there's nothing more unexpected than the hero of the story triggering the total eradication of the human population outside a particular demographic. What an upset.

Also I hope my boy Floch survives because he is such a huge rear end in a top hat that for him to escape judgement would be such a twist.

Ummm you could just read bokurano if you want a series that ends in one of the protagonist conducting a global genocide instead of advocating for this one to get hosed up.

its also a mecha series, just like this

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 6, 2019

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

another mecha series in which a protagonist ushers in a global genocide: evangelion

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Squidster posted:

Watchmen was not centrally about race. It didn't have the unfortunate ghetto armbands imagery. Watchmen's ending, while intentionally shocking, was not literally the genocide of all non-white races.

I'm not saying that it won't have an omnicide ending, simply that this ending would be the instant fiery death of the brand.

I see what you're saying, but I think these things depend on the execution. If done well with something to reflect and discuss, it could launch the series into an all-timer status like Evangelion.

Like if he goes through with it, and they show the emotional impact and anguish it causes even his surviving friends, then it could go down as a memorably cynical allegory about the human condition. The series already is one to a large extent, so I have faith the author will do a good job of whatever conclusion he wants.

Keep in mind his series started as a nightmarish post apocalyptic land where it was implied humanity was already wiped out outside of the walls by monstrous Titans.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think AoT is more of a seinen that masqueraded as a shonen to ruthlessly deconstruct typical shonen tropes.

The avenging protagonist's rage boner combined with his Shonen Protagonist's Powers seriously disturbed everyone but his closest friends, and wanted to either kill him or use him to further their own agendas. Said closest friends were too close to him, and saw a much rosier picture of his personality than it actually was. The power of friendship speeches absolutely will not always save you from the monsters, and that sometimes you really shouldn't have trusted your friends in a critical moment rather than trust your own guy instincts. The evil royal conspiracy isn't much better informed about the situation than you are, and is working to maintain a pacifistic stance rather than being warmongers.

The iconic villains were just expendable scared dumb kids in service to a much more banal but no less unspeakable form of usual human evil. The series double twists itself by first revealing the monsters were always humans, but then also that the outside humans were also always (bigoted) monsters. The protagonist's growing charisma and iconic status become horrifying when he starts defying the heroic military group he was a part of to fuel bloodthirsty nationalism to his own genocidal ends. The seeming allies from nowhere just want to commercially exploit the natural resources of the protagonist's homeland. The defectors from the evil empire are working under your nose to hold your government hostage in service to a plan to try and mass sterilize your race.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Why are you allowed to post in here Jesus Christ

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
A good chapter, they all can't be mind blowing amazing.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Squidster posted:

You say novelty, I say spectacle. In any case, now I want it to happen even more to make you even more upset.

Also, wanting to see a genocide occur in this fictional story does not equal "arguing for genocide" :ssh:

Your fear that the series will lose its credibility fails to take into account that the story has seemingly been built from the ground up to create a scenario where the characters have to grapple with the fact that genocide is a viable solution to their problems. It's a nasty ending but boy do I hope they do it and the last panel is Eren declaring that his kid is free (an uplifting sentiment in any other context) but only as the result of the literal apocalypse that he caused. That's the kind of sobering ending that leaves an impression. Similar examples would be Watchmen or Dr. Strangelove, which are both beloved because their ending was so dark and memorable.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 6, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

iamsosmrt posted:

Fair. I think it's likely if she had all of his current powers, Paradis would be wiped off the Earth yesterday.

I think it's hard to say whether Eren's truly acting out of hate or out of the most extreme, sociopathic form of pragmatism possible to end all external prejudice against his people. In a lot of ways, it looks like he's divorced himself from a lot of emotions and is sacrificing his humanity more for the sake of his people than for the hatred of everyone else. Of course, this could also be a very generous interpretation.

It's not hard to say at all.

For the past two years, almost every single scene featuring Eren has involved either him explicitly stating he's not motivated by vengeance, and in fact has even to what extent is possible forgiven those that have personally wronged him by way of understanding their circumstances (ie Reiner), or him being sad and disappointed that things keep playing out the way he's seen in his visions of the future, or him being angry (at himself, at others, at the world) for being unable to find a way to protect those dear to him that doesn't involve the mass murder of innocents.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's not hard to say at all.

For the past two years, almost every single scene featuring Eren has involved either him explicitly stating he's not motivated by vengeance, and in fact has even to what extent is possible forgiven those that have personally wronged him by way of understanding their circumstances (ie Reiner), or him being sad and disappointed that things keep playing out the way he's seen in his visions of the future, or him being angry (at himself, at others, at the world) for being unable to find a way to protect those dear to him that doesn't involve the mass murder of innocents.

While you're probably right, teenagers especially are not exactly known for being completely honest and in control with their emotions and motivations.

I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he gets deferred by a Good Will Hunting style hug and plea for mercy from someone like Annie.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the wall titans are simply going to help flatten the land all across the earth for improved farming and habitation. thank you wall titans

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

logikv9 posted:

the wall titans are simply going to help flatten the land all across the earth for improved farming and habitation. thank you wall titans

Exactly, everyone smushed underfoot will provide more than enough nutrients for the soil and bring a fantastic harvest!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Stop me if this conversation has already happened but the wall titans are still people right? If there's enough of them to trample the Earth and Eren earns/gains the ability to de-titanify them (why does/did anyone think he would have that ability? I lost that thread) that's gotta be a pretty massive populace of people to start up a new major city, right? Have there been any estimates for how many wall titans there are in total?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DaveKap posted:

Stop me if this conversation has already happened but the wall titans are still people right? If there's enough of them to trample the Earth and Eren earns/gains the ability to de-titanify them (why does/did anyone think he would have that ability? I lost that thread) that's gotta be a pretty massive populace of people to start up a new major city, right? Have there been any estimates for how many wall titans there are in total?
if I remember right, people were estimating early on that there were like, tens of millions of wall titans in all three walls if they were shoulder to shoulder.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Yeah this is another case where authors are bad at scale. I think I saw a post once that illustrated that, based on the distances of the walls provided in the manga, Paradis from tip to tip is as wide as the continental United States. Consequently, the walls must includes tens of millions of titans. And the rest of the SNK world must be many times larger than Earth, if we accept that the general geography is the same, just inverted.

Of course this doesn't jive with how quickly the characters travel around but :shrug:

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
10 million colossal titans would be 200,000 km long. Madagascar is only 4800 km in circumference, and the walls are much smaller than the entirety of the island.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yeah I'm not surprised a manga about titans is bad at scale.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
There's been enough "Paradis = Madagascar" stuff in the manga to call any other random stats from early stuff less canon, I feel like.

I'm sure a hundred thousand colossal titans is enough to gently caress up the rest of the planet anyways, don't really need 10 million.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I have only one complaint about the chapter: for all of Isayama's callbacks and nods to previous events, having Pixis die to Armin rather than say, Pieck or a now revived Annie, is a bit of a letdown. On the other hand, I look forward to Annie finding some rando soldier and having them fill her in on what's happened. Bonus points if it's done like how Luis' recaps in the Antman movies play out.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Coastline paradox but its the titan walls

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

There's been enough "Paradis = Madagascar" stuff in the manga to call any other random stats from early stuff less canon, I feel like.

I'm sure a hundred thousand colossal titans is enough to gently caress up the rest of the planet anyways, don't really need 10 million.

Spoiler, the titans are normal sized humans and everyone else is actually ant-sized

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

change my name posted:

Spoiler, the titans are normal sized humans and everyone else is actually ant-sized

10 million normal sized people side to side would be about 4600 km long. I think you solved it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

AradoBalanga posted:

I have only one complaint about the chapter: for all of Isayama's callbacks and nods to previous events, having Pixis die to Armin rather than say, Pieck or a now revived Annie, is a bit of a letdown. On the other hand, I look forward to Annie finding some rando soldier and having them fill her in on what's happened. Bonus points if it's done like how Luis' recaps in the Antman movies play out.

To be fair, Armin is a very cute boy.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

logikv9 posted:

Eren is going to kill the world with kindness

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't stop laughing at the Bob Odenkirk titan.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
It's pretty great. The best part is his Saul Goodman pointing finger.

Are there any other titan cameos?

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Ok I figured it out, check out that cast on the bottom.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Isayama constantly taking the piss with the normal titans is one of the best parts of the manga.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kyte posted:

Such an ending wouldn't fit with that last panel Isayama teased tho. Then again, that panel was lacking context. It would definitely be a hell of a twist if he were saying it to a baby he found surviving in the middle of a blasted hellscape or sth.

Which one? The last panel of this chapter? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Either way, imagine how much it'd suck to be sleeping in stasis in assumed absolute safety indefinitely, only to be rudely awoken during the Apocalypse.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The last panel of the entire story has already been leaked.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
There was a leaked panel that is supposed to be the last panel of the series.

It features the attack titan holding a giant titan sized trophy made of titan crystal in what appears to be a huge stadium formed by the crystallized wall titans. You can see some of the other shifters and side characters in the background on the bleachers, some excitedly cheering, others looking dejected. A large banner can be seen hanging near the announcer's booth that reads "First Annual Grand Titan Tournament" (loosely translated)

The current running theory is that both sides realize that all out war could easily lead to the extinction of the human race, so in lieu of war, a competition is organized which kicks off the tournament arc that will determine the fates of our scrappy protagonists and the eldians as a whole.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
edit: nevermind

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
:lol: