Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Boogalo posted:

Found my exhaust leak.

Jokes aside, would a bit of heat wrap muffle the sound of an exhaust leak?

I've a terrible leak through the flex of my '06 Tiburon / Coupe, it's a manicat that dealers want nearly £1k for, scrap yards crush these things as soon as they turn up (there are only 330 or so registered in the UK still), and custom shops want £300-500 for block to cat replacement or £900-1200 for full custom stainless.

I 'could' just replace the flex but feel that will just push the pressure to the next weak point / end up being a rusty rabbit hole.

So yeah, would a bit of wrap at least make it sound less blowy even if it doesnt genuinely fix anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

taqueso posted:

If it makes you feel better, it was probably providing a really crappy connection before it fell off.

That's why I was taking it off, to investigate electrical and starting issues.

Investigation complete. Now all I have to do is fix it. I was trying to drill out the broken off bolt, but after two drill bits exploded, and a third slipped off and punched a hole through the wheel well next to the captive nut, I'm going to have to get imaginative. I really thought I was home free after I felt it go through, I wasn't going to even try an EZ-out on something so small and buried, just tap it to the next size up.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

nene posted:

That's why I was taking it off, to investigate electrical and starting issues.

Investigation complete. Now all I have to do is fix it. I was trying to drill out the broken off bolt, but after two drill bits exploded, and a third slipped off and punched a hole through the wheel well next to the captive nut, I'm going to have to get imaginative. I really thought I was home free after I felt it go through, I wasn't going to even try an EZ-out on something so small and buried, just tap it to the next size up.

Wire-brush a section of frame anywhere nearby and put a bolt there. You've already drilled the hole even.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

dpack_1 posted:

So yeah, would a bit of wrap at least make it sound less blowy even if it doesnt genuinely fix anything?

Probably but I don't know how long it would hold before the air movement tore it up. I'd guess not very long. I've also heard that its bad to wrap flex sections because they overheat and fail earlier.

About a year and a half ago, my transmission crossmember bushing disintegrated. I replaced them, but ever since I've had a very faint ticking under full boost. Unable to find a leak or really anything, the sound also stumped 5 different shops even the one who did my motor replacement. The downpipe finally failed 3 weeks ago and the break is completely clean all the way around right where the iron and steel met so I figure my tick was a small hole at the seam welt that finally catastrophically failed. Fortunately the break happened when I was idle at a stoplight. I think motor movement from the missing bushings must have tweaked the downpipe enough to weaken it a little and it took the 18 months to completely fail. I can't complain, I bought it for $100 10 years ago.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

ArcMage posted:

Wire-brush a section of frame anywhere nearby and put a bolt there. You've already drilled the hole even.

Yeah, the captive nut was welded in before the car was put together. If I could get underneath and wriggle an arm all the way up through the (double wishbone) suspension I would probably do that.

Hell if the car wasn't parked on a slope right now I might even try that, but I've already got a hosed up leg and I'm not planning on losing out on another limb.

Instead we're going to find out what the current carrying capacity of a rivet nut is. :science:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Happy 1000 pages of failures!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Holy poo poo this thread is ten years old.

Looking back through the pages, I count three image hosts that have fallen by the wayside since its inception, tinypic, waffle and imageshack.

The way the internet loses its collective memory every 5~ years is a pretty horrible failure I guess. Turns out free image hosting is really expensive!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nene posted:

Yeah, the captive nut was welded in before the car was put together. If I could get underneath and wriggle an arm all the way up through the (double wishbone) suspension I would probably do that.

Hell if the car wasn't parked on a slope right now I might even try that, but I've already got a hosed up leg and I'm not planning on losing out on another limb.

Instead we're going to find out what the current carrying capacity of a rivet nut is. :science:

A bunch, honestly. If you can spotface the metal around the diameter of the rivnut and get a washer around it, then a fender washer under your ground bolt, you'll be even better off. Then your bolt is clamping your ground terminal to a washer that's metal-on-metal with the frame.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

A bunch, honestly. If you can spotface the metal around the diameter of the rivnut and get a washer around it, then a fender washer under your ground bolt, you'll be even better off. Then your bolt is clamping your ground terminal to a washer that's metal-on-metal with the frame.

yeah this. the rivnut doesnt need to carry any current at all; it could even be an insulator if it was strong enough. the bolt just needs to squeeze the conductive wire lug against the conductive frame-or-whatever, it doesn't matter what the clamping materials are. This is DC, so it's just a matter of surface contact cross-sectional area.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Anyone trying to drill out anything: invest in some good-quality loving drill bits, made in the US or Japan or Germany, be careful, and use low speed and lots of pressure. You'll save so much in bit-shrapnel and heartache this way. I have some ¼",⁷/16", and ½" bits I bought off McMaster, and holy poo poo are they a revelation, I haven't burnt up a single one, and I've used them to drill dozens of holes each now. You can get a set of good Cleline drills from Lowes, just do it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Guy obviously put some thought in to this. Look how, with all the adapters it goes back toward the truck rather than just sticking further and further out.
Clearly this guy is an engineer and this is a safe set up.

Elviscat posted:

Anyone trying to drill out anything: invest in some good-quality loving drill bits, made in the US or Japan or Germany, be careful, and use low speed and lots of pressure. You'll save so much in bit-shrapnel and heartache this way. I have some ¼",⁷/16", and ½" bits I bought off McMaster, and holy poo poo are they a revelation, I haven't burnt up a single one, and I've used them to drill dozens of holes each now. You can get a set of good Cleline drills from Lowes, just do it.

I've often thought about getting a REALLY GOOD (expensive=good obv.) set of drill bits from (industrial supplier that sells really good poo poo), I'm talking single bits in the major common sizes that cost multiples of what the cheap consumer grade sets of drill bits cost from even places like Home depot, Canadian Tire etc. But then I realize that TBH, I really don't know what the gently caress I'm doing WRT materials, sizes, feed pressures, speeds etc. I should probably take the time to learn, but I really can't be bothered to give a poo poo when I'm trying to do something, I just want it done fast. So I, for the most part, just crank up the speed, pretty much stand on the drill and hope that I drill through whatever I'm trying to drill through before the bit gets dull, breaks, melts or whatever. I also hate using cutting oil on poo poo because it makes a fuckin mess. Not knowing gently caress poo poo about the different speeds and feed pressures for various materials etc, means I would probably just end up with a set of broken or dull rear end expensive bits and I would just be relegated to using the cheap poo poo and spending less money for five sets of bits, than I would for a single drill bit.

I'm not saying you're wrong for saying that we AI goons should buy quality drill bits, just that I'm a lazy pile of poo poo.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Elviscat posted:

I had to drill some holes in some aircraft exhaust pipe. It was made out of (I think) Inconel, .090" wall. I got the best Carbide-Tipped 135° split-point drill bits the shop could afford. They'd drill three and a half holes before going dull. Pushing it meant I broke a drill bit off in the exhaust.

I had to drill a total of 12 holes and uses 4 of the 5 bits. That 4th half-dull drill bit will make perfectly clean holes in aluminum ALL DAY LONG still. Inconel is just evil stuff.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

nene posted:

If you can get a blind rivet in you should be able to get a sheet metal screw in, and that'll be somewhat better.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Stolen from the Schadenfreude thread. Sound on, wait till the end.

https://i.imgur.com/73Z5aSk.mp4

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ahahahahaha, I was not expecting that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why would you keep the plug wires connected when you're trying to do that? Sure, it's faster, but then so is not having to put out a loving fire.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Was that....gasoline spurting out of the engine?

Wow.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wow that's a lot of wateffffuuuuuuuck

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did he get a fuel pump cheap off a top fuel dragster and install it on his drift car? Why was there that much fuel?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
MegaSquirt install successful

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Gif has sound.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

So he was spraying gas on the car next to him too? Not to mention that same car probably was probably also burnt but these guys are assholes of the highest degree

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, at the start I thought he'd hydraulic'd the engine and that was water he was squirting out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What was he trying to do? Start it off like a Model T or something?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Colostomy Bag posted:

He was trying to prove to his friends how much of an idiot he really is.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/gIUg9lY.mp4

you could not pay me any amount of money to touch that poo poo with my bare hands

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Fermented Tinal posted:

He was trying to prove to his friends how much of an idiot he really is.

Mission success.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

He flooded it, so he pulled the spark plugs and was using engine compression to push the fuel out of the cylinders by turning it over by hand.

Eventually it appears that enough of the fuel baked off in the sun that the vapour could ignite. It looks like that ignition was caused around the spark plug wire area, so I'm guessing that he kept the spark plug wires connected to the distributor and the coil had enough beef left over to fire through it when he turned the engine and rotated the distributor.

Those aren't coil-on-plug right?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 10, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Flooded it?

What did he do, drive into a pool full of gasoline?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it's important to remember that video the next time someone yells about not being able to work on their car in an apartment parking lot.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, at the start I thought he'd hydraulic'd the engine and that was water he was squirting out.

Hydraulic'd?

You mean hydro-locked right? as in the engine locked up due to water getting into the cylinders?

Not that he was trying to convert an ICE into a hydraulic sytem of some kind?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hydro-licked

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dpack_1 posted:

Hydraulic'd?

You mean hydro-locked right? as in the engine locked up due to water getting into the cylinders?
Yep, different term for same thing.

dpack_1 posted:

Not that he was trying to convert an ICE into a hydraulic sytem of some kind?
Not intentionally.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The clip keeps getting worse every second and every time you repeat it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Godholio posted:

Wow that's a lot of wateffffuuuuuuuck

That was my reaction as well.
Why would you even leave the battery connected if it was gas? Or the ignition on, or, or...
Just WTF. How do you even get that much gas in the cylinders?

LifeSunDeath posted:

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/gIUg9lY.mp4

you could not pay me any amount of money to touch that poo poo with my bare hands

What in the actual... how? What do you add to oil to make it do... that?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
mmmmmm, root beer jello

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

It looks like the protein blocks that the poor people eat at the back of the train in Snowpiercer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JC1JjHRZA0

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
What funky additive caused that I wonder.

I suspect its oil and small amounts of coolant.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Darchangel posted:

What in the actual... how? What do you add to oil to make it do... that?

Dominant theory around the internet is it got coolant and/or radiator fluid into the oil, then the engine overheated baking the mixture into jello.

It's a botched engine swap, previous one cracked a piston at 75k. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

I think it's important to remember that video the next time someone yells about not being able to work on their car in an apartment parking lot.
As someone who has been yelled at by neighbors in apartment complexes for changing from summer to winter tires in the parking lot, gently caress that.

Most routine maintenance poses no risk to anyone or anything other than the person under the car. Obviously there's a spectrum between something reasonable like a wheel swap or an oil change and Roadkill swapping an engine, but the line belongs in between those points.