Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

This gives me the same fear that whale sharks do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bless the maker and his water

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pff, such a small amount of snow? Child's play!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ6PM15gzBM

(I assume it's footage from the Toyama snow corridor)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 10, 2019

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

There is one is these at a smoke shop near here and I never get it right :mad:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Looks like someone didn’t do any calculations before lifting!

If you do end up in a situation where you’re lowering the boom and feel the crane tipping, yank that boom back up. The closer you are to horizontal, the farther out your center of gravity and the less you can hold without tipping over. It’s exactly like trying to pick up a 50 pound weight with a fully outstretched arm vs. lifting straight up with a nearly vertical arm.

A lot of the crane tip videos seem to involve not only weight out beyond lifting points, but also some degree of lateral shift, like in that video the load is at a diagonal to the boom.

Exactly how much does the side-to-side add to the tipping factor?I know extended loads are multiplicative, but what are the ratings on off-centered loads?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

UraniumAnchor posted:

Quick napkin math says after a 7 story free fall (~23 meters) you'd be going about 70kph, which is just this side of 'rough but survivable' with what amounts to a head on collision like that.

I gotta say, the plan to use the other car as extra crumble zone was good but execution was poor.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yo what did I miss?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/gIUg9lY.mp4

you could not pay me any amount of money to touch that poo poo with my bare hands

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

MisterOblivious posted:

mostlygray is talking about towns in Minnesota, btw.

Well, now I'm curious. At first I thought it was what used to be 212 westbound (a 6-7% grade hill around a bend) but that's the wrong direction if he was heading to Eagan.

The steep part of Chesnut/41 is what he called Chaska hill. That part that has a slight little curve to it. This was before 312/212 was a thing. It's not really that steep but it's steeper than you think. He was heading for 5 to head east towards Eagan.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Kinda surprised we didn't see this in that Liam neeson movie about the snow guy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mistle posted:

A lot of the crane tip videos seem to involve not only weight out beyond lifting points, but also some degree of lateral shift, like in that video the load is at a diagonal to the boom.

Exactly how much does the side-to-side add to the tipping factor?I know extended loads are multiplicative, but what are the ratings on off-centered loads?

The load going diagonal is not supposed to happen and will completely gently caress up any calculations you did. You want to have all of your rigging positioned relative to the center of gravity of the load to ensure that it's stable and centered when lifted and optionally have lines for people on the ground to pull it in the right direction in case it starts twisting. In cases of extreme weights, you can lift with multiple cranes but you're not supposed to let either crane reach over 75% of its net capacity in that case. Cranes also have greater capacity in certain quadrants depending on their configuration and how level they are. Suddenly applying the swing brake, dragging the load on the ground, or operating when not level can all apply sideways force to the boom.

The whole reason we have a certification requirement now is because operating a crane in a way that's 100% guaranteed to never have an accident is really hard. There's a ton of factors involved and a lot of math on the part of the operator and the riggers and lift planners who actually calculate how to safely lift the load and rig it up.

It's hard to judge who's to blame on this one but you'll notice that the crane isn't doing anything but slowly lowering it to the ground. While it does stabilize a little when the wall touches the ground, the wall just keeps falling regardless of the boom trying to keep it up. That means that section of wall was absolutely way too heavy for the crane to be hoisting at that boom length and angle. They probably rigged up the top to the crane while it was flat on the ground to have it lift from horizontal before placing it and the load would partially support itself while it was on the ground, but once the crane had to support 100% of the weight it was too much. When the crane started tipping and the bottom of the wall hit the ground, inertia kept it going.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/dmNibU6.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

So, I just watched a man drown to death.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
And here I thought the issue was going to be the guy sweeping right in the way of the logs!

I uh hope the truck driver bailed out at some step. The people standing around watching don't seem to be worried about him and I'd expect to see some more shock/panic if he was still in the truck?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

LifeSunDeath posted:

So, I just watched a man drown to death.

If you watch very, very carefully at 1:07, you can see a tiny flicker of the driver's door as it swings shut, presumably after he jumped to safety.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

How do you own a barge like that, tender transport in the backwoods like that, and not know to accelerate the barge towards the shore when taking on new loads? That's like.. literally half the job?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

AutoArgus posted:

How do you own a barge like that, tender transport in the backwoods like that, and not know to accelerate the barge towards the shore when taking on new loads? That's like.. literally half the job?

Let me tell you about alcoholism

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
https://twitter.com/funimag/status/1204140813543968773?s=19

https://twitter.com/funimag/status/1204162067755937793?s=19

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They also have train sized ones.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Man lifts are fun and a completely different thing. They basically are a paternoster without an enclosing shaft.

The real pictures of man engines make them seem less intimidating than the illustration everyone posts. More like a ladder rung that raises you up to meet the next rung halfway, and less super Mario obstacle. Still needs more coordination than a man lifts which you just grab and go.

E. Man engines went away but I think were temporarily revived for those old timey fun houses that were an excuse to grab people's rear end.

Which you know isn't too far from those trampoline places that have come around, which are places you can go to grab people's rear end and dislocate your shoulder.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 10, 2019

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

Man lifts are fun and a completely different thing. They basically are a paternoster without an enclosing shaft.

The real pictures of man engines make them seem less intimidating than the illustration everyone posts. More like a ladder rung that raises you up to meet the next rung halfway, and less super Mario obstacle. Still needs more coordination than a man lifts which you just grab and go.

E. Man engines went away but I think were temporarily revived for those old timey fun houses that were an excuse to grab people's rear end.

Which you know isn't too far from those trampoline places that have come around, which are places you can go to grab people's rear end and dislocate your shoulder.

There was an episode of Expedition Unknown where Josh Gates went into a centuries old mine to find a mineral that might have been used by Vikings as a sunstone and when they get to the centuries old man engine made from centuries old wood and going going down a bottomless abyss he asks what happens if he misses a platform.

Norwegian caver - "Don't miss."

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

iospace posted:

They also have train sized ones.

Hell yes they do:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Let´s stand right next to one and throw in snowballs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4R7J7AOByQ

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/lJfSx3U.mp4

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

i am harry posted:

Hell yes they do:

Can you get them together with the train flame throwers?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Nailed it!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

i am harry posted:

Hell yes they do:

I don't know if I would be horrified or amazed to see that thing hit a moose.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
why do you think it's red in that picture?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Where I would not want to be: anywhere near an anchor being let go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pRfix_sNg

Apparently anchor chains aren't actually attached to ships and there's usually only a hand-operated braking mechanism that prevents the entire thing from just violently throwing itself overboard (As the video shows).

Another one which shows the end of the chain whipping the mechanism on the way out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOYLirV3nzc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Apparently anchor chains aren't actually attached to ships and there's usually only a hand-operated braking mechanism that prevents the entire thing from just violently throwing itself overboard (As the video shows).

If this is the case, how does the anchor stop the ship from drifting around when it's used properly?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

i am harry posted:

Hell yes they do:

That train looks like my shed

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

haveblue posted:

If this is the case, how does the anchor stop the ship from drifting around when it's used properly?

The red thing in front of the windlass in the second video is used to hold the chain when it is not being lowered or raised.

Here is an animation of one companies version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XACL8saO-s

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Kinda surprised we didn't see this in that Liam neeson movie about the snow guy.

It had a good role in the third monster hunter book, turns out it works well on undead.
Nice to see one in action instead of just read about it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Pile Of Garbage posted:

They're attached, but not in a way that can handle an accelerating and out of control chain. Nothing reasonable could stop those fails. The massive brakes failed, caught fire, and the anchor went into kinetic runaway. Which is what everyone in either of those videos should have done. :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

drunkill posted:

Eh. Its been shithouse in sydney for more then a week, it is just getting a little worse each day as the fires get closer to western sydney.

Nothing will be done about climate change or boosting funding to fire services, they just had budget cuts this year.

So much so that volunteer fire fighters are having to pay for diesel themselves as the fire service fuel cards have run out of money.

Fire season normally doesnt really kick off until Jan when everything has had a month or three of summer to dry out. It'll get worse for the state and the rest of the country soon enough.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I don't know if I would be horrified or amazed to see that thing hit a moose.

How about a Baddie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIkwS664Qzw&t=42s

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

slinkimalinki posted:

Fun stuff: for some reason it was considered ok for tour operators to decide for themselves whether it was safe to go to the privately owned active volcano. Now two employees and 11 customers are dead, 27 of the survivors are in critical condition with severe burns, people who assisted with the rescue describe helping victims who had burns to their tongues and eyeballs, all burns units in NZ are full, a criminal investigation has been launched, a Worksafe NZ investigation has been launched...

Even more fun thing: the company running the tours won an award for Safest Place to Work (small business category) NZ last year https://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/118090485/white-island-tours-crowned-with-health-and-safety-award-12-months-ago . Based on, I guess, their focus on people wearing closed toed shoes while touring the crater of a constantly erupting active volcano.

To add to this I heard today that GNS (The agency responsible for monitoring volcanoes and earthquakes etc here) had pulled their staff from the island due to the increased activity. You would think that when the volcanologists are moving away from the active volcano you would think twice before taking a tour group to the crater. The injuries are sounding quite horrific as well with many with severe burns inside their throats/lungs.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

slinkimalinki posted:

Fun stuff: for some reason it was considered ok for tour operators to decide for themselves whether it was safe to go to the privately owned active volcano. Now two employees and 11 customers are dead, 27 of the survivors are in critical condition with severe burns, people who assisted with the rescue describe helping victims who had burns to their tongues and eyeballs, all burns units in NZ are full, a criminal investigation has been launched, a Worksafe NZ investigation has been launched...

Even more fun thing: the company running the tours won an award for Safest Place to Work (small business category) NZ last year https://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/118090485/white-island-tours-crowned-with-health-and-safety-award-12-months-ago . Based on, I guess, their focus on people wearing closed toed shoes while touring the crater of a constantly erupting active volcano.

That's not very fun at all :stonk:

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
https://i.imgur.com/hAtxy8w.mp4

With sound! The screaming at the end is just school children being children right? :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
I wonder what cable that is that they pulled out?