Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My left Touch controller has developed a squeaky trigger after about seven hours of use. The Rift S has just bad enough audio that I can, of course, hear it constantly. It sounds like someone is scribbling with a big fat marker just to my left every time I press it. I contacted Oculus and they want me to send them a video with clear audio of the squeak before they'll authorize an RMA, which seems insane, so I figured I'd just take it back to Best Buy and swap it out for another unit. Not gonna happen because there isn't a store within 100 miles that has them in stock. Has anyone run into a similar issue? Did it go away?

I really wanna keep this so I can enter the b-b-b-bone zone tomorrow but I'm also probably going to go insane if I have to listen to that squeaking much longer. The weight of my over-the-ear headphones plus the headset is too much to be comfortable, so I can't go that route unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

As someone who spent like 4 hours trying various combinations of disconnecting from the internet, booting in safe mode, and turning off every windows security feature just to get the oculus app to stick a landing on my computer, loving lol at the idea that they have a reason for how lovely their software is. I still have no idea what combo finally did it tbh.

The install path is barely even the cherry on top.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

As someone who spent like 4 hours trying various combinations of disconnecting from the internet, booting in safe mode, and turning off every windows security feature just to get the oculus app to stick a landing on my computer, loving lol at the idea that they have a reason for how lovely their software is. I still have no idea what combo finally did it tbh.

The install path is barely even the cherry on top.

Shut the gently caress up, Gamer. You're making that one guy's friend feel bad.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
TBH I think the third valve game is gonna be CS:VR. It would break the internet

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Re L4DVR. I had been wondering if that was going to be another one of their three VR games since the Alyx interview came out. At one point in the video a dev talks about players panicking in response to zombies coming at them. I would be super excited to play a L4D game in VR.

Here is a video of the moment I am talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9K0eJEmMEw&t=1193s

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Half Life has zombies

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Half Life has zombies

Yeah, I guess so. I never really felt like they were real zombies but googling shows that they are called that in-game so nevermind.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

rage-saq posted:

TBH I think the third valve game is gonna be CS:VR. It would break the internet
How's Pavlov doing these days?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd love portal vr.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Portal VR would be incredible but it would be massively nausea-inducing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TACD posted:

Sounds like a challenge.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

TACD posted:

Any horizontal to vertical portal would break the Cardinal VR rule about forcibly rotating the user's view.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
gently caress that I want Vermintide VR with 1:1 melee combat that actually requires you to block and poo poo.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm talking pure theory here now, but would some sort of glove that vibrates when encountering an object in VR be able to simulate haptic feedback? Like, you push against a wall, and the glove "pushes" back?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Bee posted:

I'm talking pure theory here now, but would some sort of glove that vibrates when encountering an object in VR be able to simulate haptic feedback? Like, you push against a wall, and the glove "pushes" back?

You'd need something that actually can exert force while still being small and not hindering movement, aka tech that doesn't actually exist yet.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
When can I karate chop blocks in beat saber with my bare hands?

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Bloodplay it again posted:

My left Touch controller has developed a squeaky trigger after about seven hours of use. The Rift S has just bad enough audio that I can, of course, hear it constantly. It sounds like someone is scribbling with a big fat marker just to my left every time I press it. I contacted Oculus and they want me to send them a video with clear audio of the squeak before they'll authorize an RMA, which seems insane, so I figured I'd just take it back to Best Buy and swap it out for another unit. Not gonna happen because there isn't a store within 100 miles that has them in stock. Has anyone run into a similar issue? Did it go away?

I really wanna keep this so I can enter the b-b-b-bone zone tomorrow but I'm also probably going to go insane if I have to listen to that squeaking much longer. The weight of my over-the-ear headphones plus the headset is too much to be comfortable, so I can't go that route unfortunately.

If it's just plastic rubbing against plastic, you could try some silicone lubricant spray. I keep a can at hand for squeaky controllers.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Professor Wayne posted:

When can I karate chop blocks in beat saber with my bare hands?
That's basically BoxVR and Synth Riders, isn't it?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

ShadowHawk posted:

How's Pavlov doing these days?

Pretty lovely still. I tried it out the other week and while some of the control issues have been fixed, others still remain and the gunplay is garbage as always.
I was mentioning it in game and tons of people were like “well yeah it’s still bad but it’s got CS maps” so even the other players acknowledge that the game is pretty subpar.
A legit well done CS:VR releasing alongside L4DVR and HL:A would be Orange Box 2 and would be a huuuuuuge boost for VR.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm convinced Pavlov is so named because it's an elaborate experiment in conditioning gamers to accept mediocre VR combat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

I'd love portal vr.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/446750/Portal_Stories_VR/

uhhhh

TACD posted:

Which is why you do ^^^^ and teleport instead

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Bee posted:

It would give you vibration which would give you a sense of feedback but it couldn't "push" you at all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
All VR needs is force fields that literally brutalise you when zombies attack you in the game

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I read in a comments section somewhere that Portal puzzle mechanics in zero gravity + Echo VR movement would be a perfect fit for VR and I'm inclined to agree.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

I read in a comments section somewhere that Portal puzzle mechanics in zero gravity + Echo VR movement would be a perfect fit for VR and I'm inclined to agree.

3D traversal puzzles in zero gravity are much harder to design, unfortunately. One of the key components of normal 3D puzzles is that it's very easy to set up places which you can see but cannot easily reach due to changes in elevation; remove gravity as a restriction and suddenly you can reach everywhere you can see, making it much harder to present the user with a traversal puzzle in a way that doesn't immediately trivialize it. You can somewhat recover this by using glass and grates, but those are much harder to read and bypass in interesting ways than elevation puzzles are.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I played Skyfront VR in an arcade once. Seemed OK, considering you're all over the place. Then again, it was commanded moves (but with accelerations and decelerations), not just run over the edge and see what happens. Maybe that's the difference.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh poo poo!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP8C2nmv3Ag
Boneworks is out: Steam

Looks like they've been holding back, some of the poo poo in that video looks insane.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Didn't watch anything on the store page. Hit Buy and waiting for the download to finish. Too bad I have to head to work in two hours. Gotta skip the internet tomorrow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Didn't watch anything on the store page. Hit Buy and waiting for the download to finish. Too bad I have to head to work in two hours. Gotta skip the internet tomorrow.

Are you actually worried about spoilers for ... Boneworks?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Why not? From the new trailer it looks like they have significant ambitions to be a story-heavy game now. They even call it "a narrative VR action adventure" in their store description.

The new trailer looks like it could either work brilliantly or completely waste all the potential their earlier demos showed, so I'll be interested in hearing real-life experiences with the finished product.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know. SCheeseman's exclamation could mean everything and nothing. I guess I'll see the hour I'll get today in a few.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zaphod42 posted:

I am yeah, why not? It looks great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

I am yeah, why not? It looks great.

It looks great, but it looks like they spent most of the development time working on all the cool VR interactions. It seems to have a cool framing story but I'm not expecting anything too major. But we'll see.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

A big part of my excitement for Boneworks is going to be discovering the unique actions/interactions/environments they've designed. The story is somewhat tangential, I just don't want to see too much of the actual game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

lol, can't call up a game menu in the game with the Index controllers. If it's supposed to work, it's unintuitive as gently caress. Also, WMR guys are whining about bindings. Maybe it's related.

--edit: Oh now it works.

Melee weapons are weird. They have a weight, and when you wave them around, your virtual hand flops.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 10, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

...I contacted Oculus and they want me to send them a video with clear audio of the squeak before they'll authorize an RMA, which seems insane,

Why don't you just hit record on your phone and click the trigger and send them a video?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Oh poo poo!

FYI this is a student project made with some minor cooperation with Valve. It's not made by Valve nor is it a full length project. It is pretty neat however and free so try it out.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP8C2nmv3Ag
Boneworks is out: Steam

Looks like they've been holding back, some of the poo poo in that video looks insane.

About 1/2 of the reviews are that it doesn't work for Windows MR right now, so I'd hold off a day or two if you have a Windows MR HMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The soft body physics that apply to your avatar are definitely odd. Getting an arm stuck at the edge of a table, or those grabby walls to climb are awkward as hell. Luckily the game has a large tutorial section at the start.