Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.
Likewise; the link is working for me now in all three browsers I tested before. Seems the issue has been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm coming up on the end of a replay of the ill-fated CRPG Tyranny, and given that it ends with a rather ripe cliffhanger that will likely never be resolved, I'm thinking of launching a CYOA sequel.

This would be somewhat natural as the game begins with a "Conquest" CYOA sequence that presents a fairly manageable branching template that lends itself to PbP (eg you must subdue a city; choose to march on the gates or infiltrate with espionage, each route presenting two sub-approaches or tactics).

The game would be broadly strategy-based, either conquering or currying favor with different regions / fiefdoms in opposition to a fantasy-totalitarian Overlord and deciding how to manage and use faction armies that are usually cultists of a particular Archon demigod (who you will inevitably encounter and subjugate / destroy / recruit). I want to keep to the spirit of the original game but on a wider, shallower scale.

So I come to the thread with two questions:

(1) What mechanics do you think would be interesting, and dynamic, to track in such a game? The obvious routes are either pure storygame CYOA (which seems a bit slight, but I can do easily) or light resource management. Eg, you have gained territory A that you must garrison against enemy attack or rebellion; you have armies X/Y/Z that can be used mobilized for this purpose, or you can use an Archon, which is much more powerful but rarer and cannot be redeployed.

I can throw something like this together but I don't have much of a mind for balancing numbers - I could come up with narrative variation on my own but not a system. I could also add more resources by abstracting other things like the recovery of powerful artifacts or Edicts (basically mythals or magic nukes, in the setting).

Alternatively, I could do something more like Dragon Age: Inquisition's war room, where instead of making the tactical decisions yourself, you are faced with problems and then have the choice of delegation to different commanders / subordinates / Archons with different methods, and then have those choices gain and / or lose abstracted consumables or "health" or what have you.

(2) Help me out with Godcraft. The world of Tyranny is peppered with Archons, mortal demigods powered by renown and belief, who have particular domains, and some of whom are associated with geometric / geotic sigils that can be used in magic spells. Visually / conceptually they're like D&D Genasi or Aasimar on steroids.

These Archons are meant to be quite numerous in the setting, but there are only so many mentioned in the game. So I'd be curious for your ideas on filling out the Archon roster that players could encounter. They may or may not have schools of magic associated them, but they all tend to have cults (large or small) of magician or martial followers.

The Archon template seems to allow for both straightforward elemental forces and, to some extent, human concepts, which new Archons would have to fit into. Their magic translates to "Control (x)". Examples in the game include:
  • Archon of Secrets (probably but not definitively tied to "Control Illusions")
  • Archon of Stone (tied to "Control Stone", natch)
  • Archon of Fire ("" "")
  • Archon of Tides ("" "")
  • Archon of War (no apparent magic affiliation)
  • Archon of Renewal (tied to "Control Life" [healing])
  • Archon of Song (tied to "Control Emotion")

There are also magic schools with as-yet unmentioned Archons, such as "Control Vigor" and "Control Force".

Basically, if you think of a particular kind of force / conceptual magic, or a particular idea for an Archon, I'd love to hear it.
Still interested in whatever feedback anyone could give on this.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Question: Given modern design sensibilities, concepts like "Design to Type" and "Design according to the play experience you want", I am currently thinking of writing a new game, but am somewhat stumped due to the overwhelming number of different resolution mechanics I could use which somehow do offer deeply different ways for play.

The game: The players take the role of low-level monsters in a fantasy world and are given missions by an evil overlord to destroy and enslave the world of the living. Think your standard DnD Fanasy World from the side of the monsters. Like players play skeletons, become stronger if they survive and develop into bone giants, or zombie warriors, or soul-eating spirits, etc.

- But Iīm kinda miffed by the idea of a d20-resolution mechanic because it feels...well not like the best it could be for that kind of game.
- I was thinking of using Blade in the Darks dice and resolution mechanic, but it seems inappropriately focused and I donīt really want to go into the whole playbook direction because player death feels like something that might be needed and Blades didnīt strike me as a game with a whole fat chance of character death, more of defeat and consequences.
- I tried a first look at the system used by Fragged Empire, but I donīt really grog the whole game, something about it just doesnīt click. Maybe returning to the F&F of it might help...
- At first I was inspired by something like Cthulhu Dark, because of the idea that players use relatively little dice, only d6 and get the chance to use a concept like "corruption dice" to represent the evil overlords power slowly taking over but Iīm unsure if that is the focus I wanted to go on when I want players to also level up, develop greater powers and have the idea of the corruption dice slowly go into the background. Furthermore it feels like overloading what otherwise would a quick and easy resolution process.

Iīm...at an impasse. Help me, SA Game Writing Hivemind =|

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Give an example of play ignoring mechanics. Describe a typical encounter narratively. Then you/we can work out a resolution system that fits.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Game as described above.

No-Mech #1:
...as they come upon the wooden palisades, numerous arrows fly through the air, hitting and felling many of their sort. It is with horror, as the barbarians see your compatriots rise again, the arrows useless against the fleshless bodies. Many start whispering prayers to their gods as Yorik next to you starts taking some of the arrows and rams them into the wood to use as a ladder for his bony feet. As you climb, you attempt to evade the big stones they throw down, some even hitting one of the other skeletons warriors the master gave you, flatteting and breaking their grey and ashen form, some hands, fingerbones and a rib poking out here and there. Finally, as you overcome the palisade and its thorny upperside, you throw yourself on one of the defenders, young men whose flesh vibrates with a tinge and makes your hatred at the living grow all the more. Deeply you thrust your sword into his belly and the clap of your skull can be heard widely as you begin the terrible chattering outsiders would think of as laughing...if you still had flesh and muscles at this point.

No-Mech #2:
...Surely, raiding another masters dungeon is one of the more dangerous events in your unlife, but the masters order still holds strong in your mind. Take the Stone of Werdna from its throne inside the Mouth of Hatred, seat of the Elder Dragon Roahr. Already you can hear the others being impatient. Yorik already wants to stomp on the great visage extruding from the stone, yet you know, the danger in defacing Roahrs property. Slowly you begin to rotate the eyes, just long enough to wait for that click-clack that will open your passage. Just then, you hear it from above. Harpies! They threaten to attack your position, reveal it to the dragon himself. Suddenly you find yourself under much more pressure, yet I ask you, will you just let them rotate or continue to control each rotation?

No-Mech #3:
The village is asleep. The night is dark, and you can see the bright-red moon has risen. Blood nights. Best time for skullduggery. Yet, even from this far you can feel the holy power that emanates from somewhere within. Surely there must be some heroics going on in this godsforsaken little hovel. But you shouldnīt let yourself be found. Slowly, you sneak towards the graveyard, and begin spreading the dark seeds the Master gave you. Soon the Master will arrive, and legions will rise on his command, even from among the villagers few. But hark! A light? You can see, among the bloodred mist that has taken the world that some brave soul dares travel towards the graves, even at this doomed hour. Will you whet your swords?

No-Mech #4:
Your situation is bad. While the city around you burns, you know that these few will stand against you. Despite all the dead surrounding your legions, and the Master in close pursuit in the sky, here stand a few beings, willing to take a stand. Already you can feel the fire emanating from the elemental that burns with passion, and his companions, the heroes party, readying themselves. With but a cry you order your troops to attack, before throwing yourself into the fray, a tomb king among those waiting to be slaughtered. In a fierce battle, you exhaust all your options, yet find the human warrior more than a match for your mettle. Finally, as his strike disarms you and threatens to pierce your skull, you call to the Master, and feel his dark power envelop your breath...

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 13, 2019

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Mr.Misfit posted:

Question: Given modern design sensibilities, concepts like "Design to Type" and "Design according to the play experience you want", I am currently thinking of writing a new game, but am somewhat stumped due to the overwhelming number of different resolution mechanics I could use which somehow do offer deeply different ways for play.

The game: The players take the role of low-level monsters in a fantasy world and are given missions by an evil overlord to destroy and enslave the world of the living. Think your standard DnD Fanasy World from the side of the monsters. Like players play skeletons, become stronger if they survive and develop into bone giants, or zombie warriors, or soul-eating spirits, etc.

- But Iīm kinda miffed by the idea of a d20-resolution mechanic because it feels...well not like the best it could be for that kind of game.
- I was thinking of using Blade in the Darks dice and resolution mechanic, but it seems inappropriately focused and I donīt really want to go into the whole playbook direction because player death feels like something that might be needed and Blades didnīt strike me as a game with a whole fat chance of character death, more of defeat and consequences.
- I tried a first look at the system used by Fragged Empire, but I donīt really grog the whole game, something about it just doesnīt click. Maybe returning to the F&F of it might help...
- At first I was inspired by something like Cthulhu Dark, because of the idea that players use relatively little dice, only d6 and get the chance to use a concept like "corruption dice" to represent the evil overlords power slowly taking over but Iīm unsure if that is the focus I wanted to go on when I want players to also level up, develop greater powers and have the idea of the corruption dice slowly go into the background. Furthermore it feels like overloading what otherwise would a quick and easy resolution process.

Iīm...at an impasse. Help me, SA Game Writing Hivemind =|

My Life With Master?

https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9681.phtml

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 13, 2019

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
Yeah, My Life with Master should at least provide thematic and narrative inspiration if you want to focus a decent bit on the characters' relationship with their dark lord.

Three other systems that come to mind, but probably just because I want to push them more in general:

1) Reign/One-Roll Engine. d10 pools, looking for sets of matched results, aiming for target number of successes. The number on the matched dice (or "height" of dice matches) could be general quality of successes, and the size of the set of matched dice (or "width" of dice matches) could be how much their dark lord's power is infusing, influencing, or aiding their actions.

2) Trophy. Small pools of d6 with the option to add extra dice for risk of bigger failure. Based on Cthulhu Dark, they released an SRD to make "Rooted in Trophy" games. Designed to be pretty lethal. Highest die is your result: 6 is success, 4–5 are success with GM's complication, 1–3 failure with things getting worse. You can mod the "corruption die" mechanic and "ruin" level to be how much their dark lord is taking hold of them and their actions. They gain more power but also get closer to losing all free will and just becoming an automaton under the power of their creator/ruler.

3) Legends of the Wulin. d10 pools, similar to One-Roll Engine. looking for sets of matched results. The number on the matched dice is the ones' place of your result, and the size of the set of matched dice is the tens' place of your result. Modifiers are all +/-5.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dusted off my Lasers and Feelings hack, Pomp and Circumstance and had another stab at it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m5IIR7p1_jIsHV6h8eqWxdJHLbTVZRVy

It's a Malazan/First Law inspired pulpy military hack, where characters can be killed off in a dramatic last stand, or just an unlucky arrow in the neck. Options are Pomp (honourable battle, heroic charges, polite discourse) or Circumstance (sneaky, underhanded fuckery). Players also have an unknwon stash of between 0 and 3 Luck they can spend to get a big bonus on a roll, but if they try and spend a point when they're at zero luck, they're instantly killed, and the player promotes a member of their squad to take over instead.

First playtest went pretty well - once people got the title the distinction between Pomp and Circumstance was pretty straightforward, and the Luck system was a great way to keep tension up. And the Assassin player got shanked in the ribs on like the second roll of the game, and then played her apprentice hellbent on revenge for the rest of the session, ending with a climactic rooftop knifefight.

Each player also has a squad that's there to support their character - first go at the rules this was entirely for fictional positioning, kind of hovering round the edge of the scene, which only really became relevant when poo poo started to really hit the fan. I've added the "+1d if your squad can help you out" to try and keep them a bit more present in the mechanics, but haven't had a chance to try that out yet.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Whoops maybe trying to make 14+ unique factions for my new game was a poor choice. Can't turn back now.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Have a big Godfather Baptism scene where like 10 of them get wiped out / absorbed in a single night of glorious bloodshed

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Whoops maybe trying to make 14+ unique factions for my new game was a poor choice. Can't turn back now.

Pull up! Cut back to three major factions and roll the others into them as flavor or orgs or cults/whatever, or leave a couple of them as independents that could be possible spoilers to the balance of power.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Pull up! Cut back to three major factions and roll the others into them as flavor or orgs or cults/whatever, or leave a couple of them as independents that could be possible spoilers to the balance of power.

I can probably double up some and knock it down to 8 or so, but so many are wildly unique from others that it would be hard to do. The main thing is coming up with names for stuff. How many different ways can I say "warrior"?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

You can and you should. Focus on the four factions most involved in whatever your sample adventure is. Expand the others as you write material that makes them relevant.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

How many different ways can I say "warrior"?

What do the warriors wage war for? The guys fighting for your super authoritarian faction are judicators. The guys fighting for your anarchists are the Liberators, the nomad faction get the Outrunners, the nerd faction gets the Custodians, the faction that loves teamwork get the Legionnaires, yadda yadda yadda.

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Mystic Mongol posted:

What do the warriors wage war for? The guys fighting for your super authoritarian faction are judicators. The guys fighting for your anarchists are the Liberators, the nomad faction get the Outrunners, the nerd faction gets the Custodians, the faction that loves teamwork get the Legionnaires, yadda yadda yadda.

I love the idea of Custodians being the fighter-analog class

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

the nomad faction get the Outrunners,

Hey, stop stealing my ideas. I already have the Outrunners and Outriders in the nomadic faction haha.

I'm creating a tabletop wargame set in the same universe as a RPG I've been working on for years, so I've written up many "countries" for campaign settings and character creation. Then splash in a few of the magic-monsters that have been baddies in campaigns. It hasn't been too hard to come up with basic and unique concepts for each team, just filling them out is obviously the hard part.

I think I'll definitely work on reducing the number by changing some of the factions to simple add-on mercenary like groups

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Hey, stop stealing my ideas. I already have the Outrunners and Outriders in the nomadic faction haha.

I'm creating a tabletop wargame set in the same universe as a RPG I've been working on for years, so I've written up many "countries" for campaign settings and character creation. Then splash in a few of the magic-monsters that have been baddies in campaigns. It hasn't been too hard to come up with basic and unique concepts for each team, just filling them out is obviously the hard part.

I think I'll definitely work on reducing the number by changing some of the factions to simple add-on mercenary like groups

I'd say less is more is a good idea. The more factions and groups you have the more you have to develop what types of relationships exist between those groups and what sets each group apart from the others and so on until the amount of info becomes so dense that players who are new to the setting might end up getting mixed up or bored trying to figure it all out at the start.

The fewer factions you have the easier it is to work out those relationship webs and the more you can develop each individual faction without worrying about it becoming an information overload.

That's just my take on it though.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

The feedback has convinced me to reduce the number to 7. It's probably a good idea to not bloat the game so quickly, so the rest are going to be set to the side for now. A handful will continue as optional add-on units to the main factions but won't be their own team.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The feedback has convinced me to reduce the number to 7. It's probably a good idea to not bloat the game so quickly, so the rest are going to be set to the side for now. A handful will continue as optional add-on units to the main factions but won't be their own team.

For 7 factions you could do 3vs3vs1. Each set of 3 represents the most powerful popular movements in a civil war. The big faction is the oppressive govt or whatever, and the other six factions are both trying to win the civil war and dunk on their rivals at the same time. Each victory against your ideological opponents is drawing more resources from the actual conflict!

E: Life of Brian the Wargame

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Its more 1v1v1v1v1v1v1, with various levels of cooperation between a few of them as needed.

The background is it was a plain and boring fantasy world, then magic just happened at one point, and the monsters and spellcasters spent the next thousand years ravaging the land during what the call the Time of Terror. Just about every form of civilization was wiped out and humanity brought near extinction. A combined effort of heroes and a waning in the scale of magic allowed the world to be resettled. Now, hundreds of years later, nations are vying for power and trying to claim territory, as people tend to do. Magic is feared by most, but commanders see the value in it and will bring these Outsiders into the fray.

The main players in this are;
Kremrizc - Highly organized with expert crafted weapons and armour.
Lionstone - Fanatics that will throw themselves upon the enemy, lacks any magic and can suppress other faction's magic use.
Ice Holds - Semi-nomadic, with fast skirmishers and can outrange their opponents.
Lioria - Well trained and equipped infantry, supported by unstoppable Knights
Quin-Welast - Foreign invaders with early gunpowder (very early, like firepots and rockets) and unique tactics
Vanghelm - Low armour barbarians who excel at challenging and slaughtering enemy leaders.
Eitrkin - One of the few organized groups of creatures of magic, so every unit on the field has at least some amount of magic.

The teams cut down from full factions;
Juthom - A former lost colony, and wasn't effected much during the Time of Terror and attack from ships along the coastlines
Khash - A walled island nation that little is known about. Powerful sorcerers wander out for unknown objectives.
Sabar - Desert kingdom across the sea, lots of cavalry and tamed monsters.
Vost - A series of mountain towns hidden away, where every single person is trained to fight.
Ogoromny - Wandering tribes of giants, each one of them is worth a dozen men in battle. Mostly peaceful but can often seek out food in the wrong places.

Cut team: Thaddenhounds - Swarms of magic beasts that build up strength as more blood is spilled on the battlefield, friend or enemy.

Each team has unique models and heroes, as expected, but as the statlines of units are fairly simple, what sets them apart is the unique Command board that each have. Players get to activate a number of special buffs for their units, each one themed to better support the playstyle of their faction.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
It sounds like a solid enough design, but can you do a quick walkthrough using an if-then statement for gameplay?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

shades of eternity posted:

It sounds like a solid enough design, but can you do a quick walkthrough using an if-then statement for gameplay?

I don't know exactly what you mean by that, but I'll type up a quick summary.

Unit statlines: (M)ovement, (Q)uality, (O)rganizaition, (A)ttack, (D)efense, (C)ourage. Move is generally 8" for infantry, 14 for cavalry. Heavy armour reduces a unit's movement.

Players roll each turn for Initiative, higher rolling going first. They then add up the total Command value of all of the models that have that rule, and roll that many Command Dice to use that turn.

Example command: ⚄⚃ Headhunter: Choose a Champion in a duel. Roll two dice and choose the highest for the duel roll. - you would have to discard a command dice thats 5+, and one thats 4+ to activate the bonus. Commands only effect your own units.

Player with initiative resolves their army first. Move, Magic, Ranged, Melee. Units cannot make ranged attacks if they moved that turn. If a unit moves into an enemy unit, they get locked in melee for later.

To fight, a player will take the Quality of the unit, and add the number of models in the unit that are touching enemy models to that value. If they have additional models in the unit that aren't touching, they may also be added to the Quality, but only up to the unit's Organization bonus. Most units only have an O of 1-3, but adding things like Spears and Pikes give +3 and +5 respectively. Once both players know their total Quality, they will now roll a d6 for their unit, the unit with the higher Quality getting +1 (+2 if their Q is double or more). Ties are discarded.

Whoever wins the fight can now make wounds, rolling their unit's Attack against the enemy's Defense, with the higher number getting the +1/+2. Attacker kills one model per amount they beat the enemy by.

You can buy Champions that go in units to buff them (or not), who are able to challenge each other in melee and have their own mini-fights.

This is obviously skipping a lot of nuance to the game, but I'm hoping it will be a comfortable middle ground of making battles fairly quick and effortless, while still allowing for interesting tactics.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

It makes sense from a conceptual model.

I think you got something here. :)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

shades of eternity posted:

It makes sense from a conceptual model.

I think you got something here. :)

Glad you think so. It obviously will need a ton of playtesting before I'm comfortable with it, I can guarantee that there will be some horrible and obvious flaw that has slipped me by.

One change I've made recently, is I got rid of the Courage value from the game. Instead, when a player needs to make a Courage test they will make a Quality roll (I figured since almost every model has near equivalent quality to courage values, why have a redundant stat?). Courage tests happen when casualties are taken, or if they have to fight a Fearsome model.

Not to get into boring details, but what I'm going for is the value you fail the courage test by adds an equivalent penalty to any Quality roll that unit makes. Fail your courage by 2? You now have a -2 to your fight roll.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Should I merge these ideas or work on them independently? They're both PbtA games. The first one I worked with an old friend on, but we petered out. It's trying to be the mecha genre of anime, but was mostly things like Gundam. The second is a recent project that tried to be specifically just Evangelion. After starting the second one, it dawned on me that these ideas could be consolidated.

Mechross Your Heart

You Can (Not) Win

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Covok posted:

Should I merge these ideas or work on them independently? They're both PbtA games. The first one I worked with an old friend on, but we petered out. It's trying to be the mecha genre of anime, but was mostly things like Gundam. The second is a recent project that tried to be specifically just Evangelion. After starting the second one, it dawned on me that these ideas could be consolidated.

Mechross Your Heart

You Can (Not) Win

It sounds to me like they could easily be merged into one, you could just have a 'chapter' of Evangelion special rules for those who want to use them.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Does anyone have any suggestions for games with interesting or effective initiative / turn order systems for their combat model? I'm brainstorming a good way of sequencing action in my game that doesn't rely on something as dull as a D&D-style initiative order.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Zeerust posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for games with interesting or effective initiative / turn order systems for their combat model? I'm brainstorming a good way of sequencing action in my game that doesn't rely on something as dull as a D&D-style initiative order.

Probably a good starting point is the Shadow of the Demon Lord initiative system where each participant chooses whether they're taking a fast turn or a slow turn, which determines whether they get movement or an action or both, and then it resolves in order of PC fast turns, NPC fast turns, PC slow turns, NPC slow turns, with no set order within each of those steps. It can seem a bit complex but it works really well in play.

joke answer: Anima: Beyond Fantasy

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

The One Ring has you pick your position in a fight (vanguard, midline, back) which determines your initiative as well as the difficulty to hit you. Take the vanguard and you act first but are easily hit. Take the back line and you’re out of harms way but act last (and probably need a bow).

It is cool, and good. Initiative becomes a risk-reward choice and combat flows real smoothly since that’s the only real positioning/initiative fuckery

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
SotDL's system is definitely interesting to me, yeah. I'd be interested to see how an adaption would work in a game primarily based around precise placing and ranged combat; I suspect my game is lethal enough that combat would strongly favour fast turns.

My go-to otherwise would've been a 'faction turn' system where the players all act first, then the enemies act, which admittedly wouldn't be too different. It's simple enough to encourage effective teamwork, but I would be concerned it's also going to create a rocket tag scenario where the players want to figure out how to alpha strike before any of their enemies can act. Which, to be fair, would maintain the XCOM influence :v:

I'm thinking about systems that would emphasise the chaos of a firefight, but systems like simultaneous turn announcement or Gloomhaven's action-based initiative just make it really difficult to co-operate with your buddies.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
I ran across an interesting combat setup ages ago online and forgot the source, but it was basically about adapting wargames style turn phases into regular RPG combat and the action that the particular characters were taking determined the order in which it occurred.

I can't remember the exact order of the phases but I know it went something like Missiles, Movement, Melee & Magic (which makes for a garbage acronym).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Genesys does the D&D roll for initiative thing, but they're based on mental stats and once rolled belong to the respective side as a whole rather than the individual that rolled them. You can't take two turns in a round but otherwise it's free choice of the available slots. Same for GM controlled units.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

I think right now I'm leaning toward a two-phase system for turn order similar to SOTDL's. I'm thinking of a Shock phase where a character can elect to take their turn, but they can only take an attack action if they do. It opens the team to alpha strike tactics or taking advantage of the current positioning, but at an opportunity cost that removes flexibility. The turn order would be PC Shock -> NPC Shock -> PC Main -> NPC Main.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
random words I'm going to poo poo out now and look at confused later: savage worlds-esque stat system where each stat is a die (d4, d6, d8, etc); you roll that for checks, in addition to a d4 wild die and take whichever is higher, crits explode

but also you decide your own stats

not the score each stat has (that's done with point buy) but you decide what the stats are named and what they do

each stat has to have a defined purpose that is not "roll this for everything," like Strength is obviously for physical tasks but what would normally be skills (Medicine, Acrobatics, Thievery) or traits (Greedy, Paranoid) can be your core stats (roll Greedy when giving into your greed / pursuing something you want but don't need, etc). Each stat needs to technically do different things but there can be overlap

you could get redundant for specializing, like having a character whose stats are Power, Toughness, and Violence

you could have species be a stat (roll a d10 to do Dwarfly Things)

you could get weird with stats like The Fool, The Tower, and the Empress (trying something new, loving poo poo up and helping things grow/survive respectably)

if you have to make a check and you don't have an applicable stat you just roll the wild die by itself

your stats are also your HP, and when you fail a defense check you have to lower your highest die by x steps

specific settings could utilize specific stat restrictions ("you must take one of the following" or "you may not take more than one of the following")

there is no skill system or anything on top of that, just literally everything is a handful of core stats I'll figure out powers/spells and poo poo later

partially based on a joke about getting rid of ability scores and how "if everything's ability scores, nothing will be"

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 7, 2019

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Sounds like you should check out PDQ, a lot of what you're describing is more or less PDQ but with an alternate, Savage Worlds inspired dice system.

It's actually very similar to an earlier draft of my Badass Kung Fu Demigods game. I've since ended up with pre-defined core stats but that's more of an effect of the power level of the game, where it's hard to balance "kooky math teacher" and "planet-buster cannon"

Back when I used a system like that I went with 2dx (where X is the stat) instead of 1dx and a standard d6 wild die (still keep the highest, exploding die in both cases). It gives each stat a bit more of a boost between die-types, which may or may not be what you want. Unskilled actions were just a 2d4 roll.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Man question

I got a product ready to go, but I'm unsure how much hype and leeway time you need to get the word out before you officially release it to the public.

What's a good amount of time before you pop it up on onebooks?

Any particular days, or months improve your chances to get better results?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so after my second PAX Unplugged, I started to brew an idea and it kinda seems like it might work.

The game is a sorta building/resource ownership mechanic. Each player is a hotel owner in Miami, working to make their Ocean Drive hotel the best and earn a Five Palm rating. The primary mechanic is buying and placing neon lights, maybe also paint colors for their hotel. They have to meet certain critera to earn Palms but there's only two or three generic ways to do it - each hotel would have its own condition to win Palms, maybe.

The more neon lights are chained together, the higher chance players have to attract hotel guests, our meeples. Different guests have different effects. Tourists, Fashionistas, Foodies, maybe one or two others. Somehow I'd like to add in detriments - Cuban Spies and/or Vice Squad. Nobody wants to be the target of an investigation (Vice Squad gives a negative chance for certain guest meeples) if Vice Squad is around, stopping additional Guest gains, and getting too many Cuban Spies causes a shutdown, which expels all current Guests.

Really, the central idea is "Make a beautiful Ocean Drive hotel with these Neon Light sticks. Change its Paint color for a higher risk/reward. Attract Guests. Earn Palms to win." I'm really open on mechanics that might work better if there are any ideas.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Thinking of changing a game I'm working on so that lower dice rolls are better. Will this be gross? Can our lizard-brains comprehend that smaller is better?

It'll make the system much easier to do the math for what your target roll is (add these two numbers together, roll a dice and hope you get under that number).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Even with the Baldur's Gate games I think kids these days probably had no exposure to THAC0, so you've got a real opportunity to make some folks miserable. Go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The current example is shooting at a target. Add your skill (higher skill value is better) and the target's Heat (players want to keep their Heat low) together, then roll a d12. If you roll lower than the Skill+Heat value, you hit the target. I figured this is more intuitive than what was originally planned where you have the usual style of Skill 8+, with a bonus to the rolled dice based off of the target's Heat.

It'll also be nice since there can then be 'crit' style effects where something happens on a certain roll of dice, and I wont have to include explanation that you determine crits before adjusting dice or whatever.

Yeah, that kind of roll-under mechanic would work fine and seems plenty intuitive. If heat gets high enough, are hits still possible?

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 10, 2019