Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Anyone reading Adam Nevill's new book, The Reddening? It's pretty much like his other books to date: folk horror, detailed research, isolated protagonists with troubled pasts and the inevitable flakey and unreliable boyfriend but Nevill IS awfully good at pulling it all together.

I just wish he'd extend his range a bit: I've always thought he has at least one excellent crime novel in him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

szary
Mar 12, 2014
My favourite Nevill story is the one set in a capitalist dystopia, I wish he'd write more of this kind of stuff

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

szary posted:

My favourite Nevill story is the one set in a capitalist dystopia, I wish he'd write more of this kind of stuff

Lost Girl?

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

Lost Girl?

ah, no, it was one of the short stories in 'Hasty for the Dark', I can't remember the exact title now.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

szary posted:

ah, no, it was one of the short stories in 'Hasty for the Dark', I can't remember the exact title now.

Oh, ok, thanks, I'll check it out.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, ok, thanks, I'll check it out.

I looked it up, the title is 'White Light, White Heat'.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

szary posted:

Excellent! I looked it up, all of Hasty For The Dark is out on audiobook, which is nice.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

szary posted:

A good Velvet Underground tune as well

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
based on this thread I had to try Kiernan. I got Red Tree and Agents of Dreamland... Will report back soon.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

escape artist posted:

based on this thread I had to try Kiernan. I got Red Tree and Agents of Dreamland... Will report back soon.

I love The Red Tree but it is a sloooooooooooooooooooooow book.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Drowning Girl is also leisurely paced

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I haven't read the Red Tree yet but it cannot be slower than Threshold, that book only had things happen in the second half.

Which isn't to say I don't love it to pieces but Kiernan really likes to establish character and get that atmosphere in long before she does anything with it.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
I had a weird streak where i was interested in the concept of copying one's mind into another body after playing a specific video game a while ago (I assume you'll figure out which one at the end of this post). So i went looking for books that tackle this concept in different ways.

One of those books were "Six Wakes" by Mur Lafferty, where a spaceship is in transit for a multiple generations voyage from earth to a new planet to colonize. Everybody on board is in cryosleep so the ship is being maintained by a skeleton crew of cloned criminals that are brought back to life at the prime age of 21 in peak physical shape each time they die with their cumulative memory up to that point (from the latest daily backup). Things seem to go wrong when they all wake up in new clones to find their previous corpses and no recollection of the 25 years that have elapsed since the trip began. So they must find who among them is the culprit and why they were brought back without the latest backup. That cloning technology being widespread in the world comes with some terrifying concepts and solutions but speaking about it too much would ruin the story.

Another book i found : "Kiln People" by David Brin. In a weird future 'big brother' world where people can bake temporary clay copies of themselves (memories and all) to help them in day to day jobs and activities. At the end of that day, the clay copie, called a "ditto", starts breaking down and melting. They have the option to come back to their maker to 'inload' their memories so that their experience meld with their owner to feel like one continuous line. So people use their ditto to do all sorts of dangerous / exciting stuff and they come in all sorts of types for specific jobs / activities. Again, another pretty interesting look into these concepts that remain better discovered by reading the book. (as well as a cool detective story to boot).

All of this to say, you guys have other suggestions that would fit this mold of existential horror?

Cyberdud fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 11, 2019

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

escape artist posted:

Agents of Dreamland is a pretty decent cosmic horror tale that moves pretty quick.

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010
Holy gently caress The Reddening was disappointing. It may, however, be his most consistent novel. No sharp turns in direction halfway through; just consistently bad.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m looking for a good supernatural spooky book to read while it’s cold and rainy out this week.

For reference, The Shining is my favorite in the genre I’m looking at, not just for the haunted aspects but the secluded setting in an interesting place. He took what sounds like the coziest vacation ever and twisted it into a nightmare and I loved that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Haunting of the Hill House? It's a classic for a reason.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Seconding The Haunting of Hill House, I read it for the first time a few weeks ago and it’s now easily my favorite horror novel. The mysterious, undefined nature of the haunting got under my skin like nothing else.

I actually put the book down and locked my bedroom door at one point before continuing lol. Just in case.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sounds perfect. Just bought it.

Gracias, friends!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
if you like it, the same author has one called "we have always lived in the castle" which is excellent too, and she wrote a famous short story called "the lottery" that is a must-read for anybody living in a society if you haven't read that one yet

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve started it and I’m liking it but now that I’ve noticed the similarity I have to ask: how ruined is this book for me if I’ve seen the sorta bad Liam Neeson movie The Haunting?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rolo posted:

I’ve started it and I’m liking it but now that I’ve noticed the similarity I have to ask: how ruined is this book for me if I’ve seen the sorta bad Liam Neeson movie The Haunting?

none at all, the only remotely faithful film adaptation of the novel was made in 1963

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Rolo posted:

Sounds perfect. Just bought it.

Gracias, friends!

just found this thread and bought it too and am living it so far!

dirt cheap on google books right now in my country, approximately usd 0.60 for the ebook

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

The Haunting is based on Hill House but only in the very loosest sense. I’m not sure why they even bothered getting the rights because to my memory the character names are the only thing they have in common. The book isn’t the kind of story with decapitations and big confrontations with evil ghosts and so on, it’s much more subtle

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

For all you ballers thinking about picking up a copy of The Haunting of Hill House.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I love everything about the weird limited edition signed book scene except for the prices. Good lord, Centipede. Good lord, Subterranean. Good lord, Dark Regions.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love everything about the weird limited edition signed book scene except for the prices. Good lord, Centipede. Good lord, Subterranean. Good lord, Dark Regions.

I have such sights to show you...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

(Payment plan available:
Four payments of $875*)

... no! No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Look at the Roman numeral edition of The Time Machine...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

As someone who buys books to read them, and just needs them intact with the words inside: :psyduck:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hope Caitlyn gets a taste of that at least, I know money concerns aren't far from her mind

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

eBooks have obviously changed the landscape, but back in the late 90s and early 00s, if you dealt with trying to find long out of print genre fiction, you'd probably appreciate these finely made editions a bit more: the old stuff was both hard to find, and hard to find intact because the material used to make the books were garbage.

That said, I collect books both to read and to appreciate as pieces of art, but yeah, some of these presses and editions are kind of extreme.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who buys books to read them, and just needs them intact with the words inside: :psyduck:

Lol if you actually read all the books you collect

:smith:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Lol if you actually read all the books you collect

:smith:

haha no don't worry, if I buy books for 2-3$ a pop I can hoard several hundred of them and obviously never read them! i mean i can try to read them, but there are so many...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

books are good as an extra layer of insulation for your home

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

And if you run out of heat just burn em.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just read Agents of Dreamland and I thought it was pretty intriguing without being satisfying. The content and ambience is just right in places, but some quirks of the writing irritated me, like the Signalman lighting a cig and pouring a J&B every paragraph in his chapters. I'd probably forgive it in a novel.

Overall I was less interested in the incident with Drew Standish and more interested in the agents themselves. The little details and hints about their organisations made me want to read more.

On that note, what are the good novels in the sort of subgenre of paranormal operatives? I read a couple of the Charles Stross Laundry books a long time ago and I did enjoy them, although the tone was more towards comedy and pastiche than horror.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Just read Agents of Dreamland and I thought it was pretty intriguing without being satisfying. The content and ambience is just right in places, but some quirks of the writing irritated me, like the Signalman lighting a cig and pouring a J&B every paragraph in his chapters. I'd probably forgive it in a novel.

Overall I was less interested in the incident with Drew Standish and more interested in the agents themselves. The little details and hints about their organisations made me want to read more.

On that note, what are the good novels in the sort of subgenre of paranormal operatives? I read a couple of the Charles Stross Laundry books a long time ago and I did enjoy them, although the tone was more towards comedy and pastiche than horror.

Read Black Helicopters next, and there'll be a third novella in the series coming out next year hopefully. I won't say that Black Helicopters will fix any of your problems with the writing - and in fact it has its own problems - but I loved it a lot and the world it evokes.

e: Oh and as for your question, read Seal Team 666 and tell me if it's worth it or not :v: (i haven't read it yet.... soon, stupid book. soon.)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

my dad the autistic librarian loves horror fiction but refuses to read any book i recommend to him, ever. he's getting a copy of north american lake monsters, if he reads and likes that he's getting wounds and probably teatro grottesco, if he doesn't i am never recommending another book to him again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the funniest/most exasperating moment of my life was when he read the scar by mieville and adored it, said it was the best book he'd read in a long time, so i sent him my copy of perdido street station to follow it up... and he refused to read it, because it was from me, and i apparently only read crappy medieval fantasy with elves and dragons and poo poo. i was like dad, it's the same author, it's the same universe, it is literally the prequel to the book you just read and loved, and he went No No No No No No