Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You guys aren't thinking over the top enough.

Archer Tesla
Caster Manhattan Project
Saber Columbia
Rider Hernan Cortes
Assassin Hassan-i-Sabah (New One with bullshit trick)
Lancer Hanging Judge/Odin
Berserker Lincoln
Surprise Bonus Avenger Coyote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Fate/Zero adaptation starring Nicolas Cage as Caster.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hope Type Redline turns out good.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
In any case my actual opinion of any Hollywood adaptation of Fate is in a word

No

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

what publisher would even want it? a nightmarishly long VN from over fifteen years ago with a preexisting fan translation? with fate's popularity, FSN's quality, and a renewed Western interest in visual novels, it might turn a profit, but it would be hugely risky

A good chunk of bigger VNs with fan translations got localized and they are way less known than FSN

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Elephant Parade posted:

what publisher would even want it? a nightmarishly long VN from over fifteen years ago with a preexisting fan translation?

A fan translation of dubious quality that “punches up” certain scenes and completely botched a few others.

EG: Shirou being extra lovely about Mitsuzuri being assaulted or the whole “Einzburns possessing the Rhinegold” mistranslation that didn’t get figured out until FGO made an offhand comment about it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Emiya Gohan feature length movie

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A fan translation of dubious quality that “punches up” certain scenes and completely botched a few others.

EG: Shirou being extra lovely about Mitsuzuri being assaulted or the whole “Einzburns possessing the Rhinegold” mistranslation that didn’t get figured out until FGO made an offhand comment about it.
I didn't say it was a good translation. I'd love an official release; I'm just not sure how likely it is

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The point is that retranslating it is a lot of work and many of the people who would normally be interested in reading it have already done so, so they won't care as much about your new translation. I don't think it's a great investment either, personally.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I would dispute that, especially with how many new people fgo brought into the fold. That and it's pretty lol that the original vn of a hugely popular series still doesn't have an official tl, just on principle.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Clarste posted:

The point is that retranslating it is a lot of work and many of the people who would normally be interested in reading it have already done so, so they won't care as much about your new translation. I don't think it's a great investment either, personally.

I think you severely overestimate the population that actually read the fan translation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

I think you severely overestimate the population that actually read the fan translation.

And how many of those people who haven't are dying to spend money on an official translation of the same? VNs are fundamentally more niche than like anime or mobile games.

The target audience of a translation is only a small fraction of the FGO audience at best.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Clarste posted:

I feel like the class system is like the first thing that'd be dropped, since it's almost irrelevant to the plot and fairly vestigial even in current iterations of the series. You don't need to arbitrarily sort people into archers and lancers to tell a story about summoning the greatest heroes of myth/history. Even though a certain type of fan loves to sort everything into meaningless categories.

The entire point of the class system in the original was to make a Dramatic Reveal on who each hero was. While this isn't that useful for FGO (though admittedly the Class system does provide a gameplay use) it still works with other stories.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i also think the assumption that existing fans wouldn't buy an official tl is kinda flimsy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd buy it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

The entire point of the class system in the original was to make a Dramatic Reveal on who each hero was. While this isn't that useful for FGO (though admittedly the Class system does provide a gameplay use) it still works with other stories.

Yeah, its easy to forget now, when thanks to the cultural osmosis the one thing everyone knows about Fate is that the small, blonde-haired girl is actually King Arthur, but Sabers identity was one of the big story twists in the first route (and the Deen anime adaptation)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i also think the assumption that existing fans wouldn't buy an official tl is kinda flimsy

Some would buy it, some wouldn't. There's no 100% of anything, but I don't think it can do anything but hurt.

Dr Pepper posted:

Shockingly, you can hide identities without resorting to fake D&D classes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the class system is good and fun

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Elephant Parade posted:

what publisher would even want it? a nightmarishly long VN from over fifteen years ago with a preexisting fan translation? with fate's popularity, FSN's quality, and a renewed Western interest in visual novels, it might turn a profit, but it would be hugely risky

to be fair, the most recent PC release is broken up by route in the install, so they could conceivably just do Fate, then do UBW if that sells okay, then do HF if UBW sells okay

e: also i think another important factor here is that the fan translation is an absolute bitch to get working. like it's genuinely a kind of huge amount of effort just to get the loving thing playable, and even moreso if you're trying to use the 2004 OG version and not the 2012 re-release. if they did release it on Steam, it would be as simple as "buy, install, read" and that would probably get a pretty decent number of people who like VNs but don't wanna go through that bullshit on board.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 11, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also the class system is good but hiding identities isn't really why

the class system is good because, in a typical HGW story format, it means everyone's abilities are varied and everyone has their own superpower niche. saber = cool swords. archer = cool projectiles. caster = cool spells. etc etc. it means nobody really bumps into anyone else's lane unless they're actively supposed to, and everyone's lane is immediately obvious even before the "who's this rear end in a top hat" reveal.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 11, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Assuming that the writers are complete idiots who can't manage that on their own, sure.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Here is the list of Successful VN kickstarter

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also working in constraints also just makes you think about things more and especially in like the class system it can help come up with like different creative interpretations of a character. and sure fate like often breaks its own constraints but like, that is part of the fun and you need them in the first place to enable that.

Clarste posted:

Assuming that the writers are complete idiots who can't manage that on their own, sure.

its fun

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Clarste posted:

And how many of those people who haven't are dying to spend money on an official translation of the same? VNs are fundamentally more niche than like anime or mobile games.

The target audience of a translation is only a small fraction of the FGO audience at best.

That's the thing though, you don't have to be "dying to" do something if it's got an official release in a fairly easy to consume format

Granted, to read something like the full length of FSN there's probably some amount of dying involved

I've never read the VN and don't have a strong desire to, but three things that would get me tempted are: 1) An official release 2) a good localization and 3) Redo all the art cuz it's not 2004 no more baby and the last piece of hardware those illustrations woudla looked at home on was a Nintendo DS, give poor Shirou his good ufotable hair

That being said, from what I know about the costs of localizing VNs+the rumors about the amount of money they want for the rights to the license, I totally don't expect it to happen. I'd be curious if western fan media could ask Takeuchi or Nasu about it, because the issues complicating an English version seem to be beyond their sphere of influence/consideration, but at the same time I imagine direct intervention by said influence is about the only x factor that could enable a potential release.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I forget where this was said, but nominally the actual reason they're not doing FSN is that the people who'd otherwise actually be translating it are always working on FGO NA.

So ya know, maybe Aniplex will put it out when FGO ends.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

Some would buy it, some wouldn't. There's no 100% of anything, but I don't think it can do anything but hurt.

why would an official translation and ease of use hurt it

do you have an actual non-TM demanding large license reason why it's bad

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah that muvluv one is probably the most successful and... it still only got a little over a mil.

which i'm pretty sure is what T-M is asking just for the license.

e: if that bit about Aniplex only not doing it because of FGO USA is true, then it'll never happen, because FGO is probably never going to end or stop putting out translated content

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The class system and all the other arcane bullshit makes it a game. A bunch of incredibly powerful wizards are fighting to attain supreme magical power in a war that blew up a city, and they loving gamified it. That's great characterisation that tells you a huge amount about the magical community. All those weird greebly rules are a constant reminder that this was all set up by bored, sociopathic nerds with a terrifying lack of concern for regular mortals.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would hope to god localization could exist independent of aniplex because lol aniplex

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

why would an official translation and ease of use hurt it

do you have an actual non-TM demanding large license reason why it's bad

People having already read the fan translation can only hurt the potential sales of an official translation. I don't see how it would help anyway. That's all it means.

The actual reason to not translate this is that translators are paid by the letter and FSN is in the list of top 10 most wordy games ever, ie: it would be more expensive to translate this than literally 99% of any other thing you could translate in the world. Yet how much are people willing to pay for it? Surely less than a 60 USD full priced AAA game (which would in fact be far cheaper to translate). I would guess, like, 10 bucks or so? It's certainly a valuable IP, so it has that going for it, but it's just an expensive project that you can't sell for very much, so you need a huge volume of sales to make a return on your investment, and I'm skeptical that all these new FGO fans will translate into the sales numbers they need.

To say nothing of the fact that the most devoted FSN fans are also the most likely to nitpick at every single line of dialog and boycott it for inane reasons.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 11, 2019

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clarste posted:

People having already read the fan translation can only hurt the potential sales of an official translation. I don't see how it would help anyway. That's all it means.

The actual reason to not translate this is that translators are paid by the letter and FSN is in the list of top 10 most wordy games ever, ie: it would be more expensive to translate this than literally 99% of any other thing you could translate in the world. Yet how much are people willing to pay for it? Surely less than a 60 USD full priced AAA game (which would in fact be far cheaper to translate). I would guess, like, 10 bucks or so? It's certainly a valuable IP, so it has that going for it, but it's just an expensive project that you can't sell for very much, so you need a huge volume of sales to make a return on your investment, and I'm skeptical that all these new FGO fans will translate into the sales numbers they need.

the first chapter of ciconia when they cry is being sold for 40 dollars

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

the first chapter of ciconia when they cry is being sold for 40 dollars

Oh wow. I'm honestly curious how that's working out for them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'd like new art but having just been replaying a bit of Hollow before I moved and had to leave behind my PC I'll say it still looks good. Also the most recent release of the original game is I think actually Japanese iOS.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

People tend to buy things that you actually sell more than they do things you lock in a cupboard and never let go of.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Darth Walrus posted:

The class system and all the other arcane bullshit makes it a game. A bunch of incredibly powerful wizards are fighting to attain supreme magical power in a war that blew up a city, and they loving gamified it. That's great characterisation that tells you a huge amount about the magical community. All those weird greebly rules are a constant reminder that this was all set up by bored, sociopathic nerds with a terrifying lack of concern for regular mortals.

also this

a huge amount of the fun of Fate is that literally almost every adult magus is that gunshow shotgun-wizard comic personified, and anything that points at that is inherently good

Clarste posted:

To say nothing of the fact that the most devoted FSN fans are also the most likely to nitpick at every single line of dialog and boycott it for inane reasons.

a lot of the people who've read the fan translation read it loving ages ago, and a lot of them might wanna reread (and don't want to deal with the insane setup process or the quirks of the fan TL). if you went route-by-route instead of translating the whole thing as one big game, they wouldn't individually be that expensive compared to a lot of the stuff MangaGamer/JAST/etc already does, and $10 for each would probably be fair enough.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Clarste posted:

Oh wow. I'm honestly curious how that's working out for them.

fwiw, steamdb estimates list Ciconia at the lowest <20k owners range (both sets of Umineko arcs are in the same ownership range as well). Clannad retails at $50 when it's not on sale, and steamdb has it in the 50k-100k estimated owners range. Steins Gate runs $35 and steamdb has it at 200k-500k.

VN's are a pretty niche market, but there is a market for it, and people are still willing to pay regular full game prices for the bigger localizations.

e: and clannad/steins gate are games that both had fan translations before the current official western releases. So for franchises that are well known/popular in the western market due to the anime adaptations or whatever else, they can definitely sell well enough, and I'm pretty sure Fate would fall into that category

astr0man fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 11, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Granted they go on sale like anything else, but yeah, non-indie VNs all sell at regular price-points.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be fair, Stein's gate is less than half as long as FSN, but that is interesting information.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

I'd like new art but having just been replaying a bit of Hollow before I moved and had to leave behind my PC I'll say it still looks good. Also the most recent release of the original game is I think actually Japanese iOS.

redraw the ero scenes and do a caster route

remove takuechi talking about sabers toes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The idea that people wouldn't rebuy something seems completely ignorant of what's actually going in the game space. Remasters, remakes, and straight up just ports are in demand and sell well, especially if you port it to something like the Switch (A platform that literally has hundreds of developers and publishers saying they see by far the most sales out of all the platforms)

Steins Gate 0 just got announced a switch port today.