Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Bum-bo the weird and especially bum-bo the dead trivialize the game with just their base set. I did a run with bum-bo the dead all the way to the end without any enemies getting a turn. The next bum-bo the dead run I got the boss who goes invulnerable and curses you after the first attack and used my attack fly like an idiot. 15 turns of 2 curse ended up killing me because I had no board clear. I think I ended up matching a 6 curse or something and basically just straight up died.

Also the jackpot ending is the most mcmillen thing ever. After you fully beat the game you have a chance to unlock something new, and apparently the chance of the jackpot goes down each time you win it. Its like Isaac's greed machine all over again, but not cheese-able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Unlocked Cracked Crown. :toot:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I dunno I just can't get Bumbo the Weird to work. Not enough health in a game where you can't really heal. It trivializes the game until you're just suddenly getting your rear end whipped

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno I just can't get Bumbo the Weird to work. Not enough health in a game where you can't really heal. It trivializes the game until you're just suddenly getting your rear end whipped

fighting the peeper boss as The Weird is one of the most miserable game experiences one can have

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Bum-bo is great with a few friends to help you spot the crazy moves. Definitely a good party puzzle game.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I've always found the Re-roll enemies ending die to be mostly useless in Binding Of Isaac, but it's a huge lifesaver in Bumb-Bo, especially since it recharges in one room. It can turn a whole room of annoying high HP late floor enemies into flies or regular poops which is the wonderful cannon fodder Bumbo the Weird wants.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I conquered Ultra Hard. :toot:

(Is there a way to say Ultra Hard wasn't actually as hard as I thought it'd be without sounding like an rear end in a top hat? It's more RNG than anything, like a number of other challenges, but also a few quirks, such as many enemies lacking champion variants, take some of the bite out of it.)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Everyone told me Afterbirth+ was a bad expansion and I bought it anyway and it's a bad expansion.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Holy poo poo I finally finished Speed! After several close but not quite runs where I’d die in womb 2, I finally snagged the d100 in the first room and had smooth sailing from there. Ran out of time in womb 2, but I’d retooled into isaacs heart so it didn’t even matter for the 30 seconds it took me to finish the floor.

Feels good to be done with the last of the challenges. This and Onan’s Streak were the hardest for me, but I managed to pull that one off with tech .5 and infested baby letting me kill without firing another shot after the first 3 floors. Now I just have the harder unlocks like Zip, 5 nights, and Marathon to go before 1,000,000%!

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

If you can get a good build early with loads of HP, you can use the sacrifice rooms to jump to the Dark Room instantly and complete Zip very quickly

This strategy, but maybe not with the loving Keeper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7-6rGTQC8I

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Psychedelicatessen posted:

If you can get a good build early with loads of HP, you can use the sacrifice rooms to jump to the Dark Room instantly and complete Zip very quickly

This strategy, but maybe not with the loving Keeper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7-6rGTQC8I

Yeah this is how I beat it.

You don't even need to be OP if you get lucky on the rooms. The Dark Room has a lot of easy rooms that you don't need to be that strong to beat, but also some super lovely 4 Cage rooms that will ruin you.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Sup broski heres a room with 2 adversaries on opposite corners hope they dont brim at the same time!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ArfJason posted:

Sup broski heres a room with 2 adversaries on opposite corners hope they dont brim at the same time!
I've only just barely started to be able to sorta dodge Adversary's goddamn brim. I'll never figure out how to consistently dodge Lil Gurdy's charge attack. :negative:

Vidmaster posted:

Feels good to be done with the last of the challenges. This and Onan’s Streak were the hardest for me, but I managed to pull that one off with tech .5 and infested baby letting me kill without firing another shot after the first 3 floors. Now I just have the harder unlocks like Zip, 5 nights, and Marathon to go before 1,000,000%!

So many of my challenge completions came down to either restart scumming or silly luck. My successful Speed run involved first item Lil Brim, which I scummed for sure, but then a naturally dropped Baby Bender is what made it actually pop off. In the case of Zip I finished it with a single hit and seconds to spare and I only managed it because of a Devil deal with Mom's Knife halfway through. Though in that case I was a dummy and forgot to switch it off of hard.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 4, 2019

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

I've only just barely started to be able to sorta dodge Adversary's goddamn brim. I'll never figure out how to consistently dodge Lil Gurdy's charge attack. :negative:

So many of my challenge completions came down to either restart scumming or silly luck. My successful Speed run involved first item Lil Brim, which I scummed for sure, but then a naturally dropped Baby Bender is what made it actually pop off. In the case of Zip I finished it with a single hit and seconds to spare and I only managed it because of a Devil deal with Mom's Knife halfway through. Though in that case I was a dummy and forgot to switch it off of hard.

Silly luck that lets you completely ignore challenge mechanics is the best. My favorite hard challenge turned trivial was coal and Sagittarius on Head Trauma or whatever the soy milk + tiny planet one is. It went from obnoxiously hard to just hold fire and murder everything in the room in half a second.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

GrandmaParty posted:

Everyone told me Afterbirth+ was a bad expansion and I bought it anyway and it's a bad expansion.

You should've seen it before the last two Booster Packs.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Greed/ier mode sure does get you intimately familiar with every little physics quirk and broken hitbox the game has to offer.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Carpator Diei posted:

You should've seen it before the last two Booster Packs.

Delirium with The Lost is just cruel.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wow, the Keeper is the first character that I can just not derive any enjoyment from whatsoever.

After several excruciating starts finally had a run that was going perfectly well until oops no iframes so insta-dead to a bullshit room despite having Swallowed Penny.

Multiple runs involved entering a Mega Rag Man fight where he just instantly sicced all three orbs onto me, leading to functionally unavoidable damage.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 9, 2019

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

John Murdoch posted:

Wow, the Keeper is the first character that I can just not derive any enjoyment from whatsoever.

After several excruciating starts finally had a run that was going perfectly well until oops no iframes so insta-dead to a bullshit room despite having Swallowed Penny.

Multiple runs involved entering a Mega Rag Man fight where he just instantly sicced all three orbs onto me, leading to functionally unavoidable damage.

Only way I got through his unlocks were farming pots on the first few floors to get swallowed penny, as well as hoping for holy mantle or nine lives to get me through. Delirium was only possible with a super OP build that all but instakilled him

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Blazed through half of the Lost's completion marks with aplomb (including Hush) but then died to Delirium....who doesn't count towards God Head so I aint even mad.

Starting to eyeball the mod (well, one of like three that does that, amongst another couple that do their own thing) that grants the Keeper Greed's Gullet by default. I'd say it was cheesy but it's not like it's a purely beneficial item and it's thematic to the character so whatever. Can also just start with Swallowed Penny which feels cheesier but tbh I could and would restart scum to get my mitts on it before investing in a run so it doesn't make a vast difference to me.

If the intent was to push Keeper towards relying on shops more (vs. Devil/Angel Deals) as his gimmick, then that gimmick sucks considering how RNG shops are (Greed or no Greed, which type of machine you get, the 1% roll for a lovely nothing shop) and how eclectic the item pool is. Also not just starting with Wooden Nickel or Store Key by default. :argh:

Edit: Turns out the wiki was lying and you do need to kill Delirium. So I did. :smug: Also got a huge break in Greedier. And thus, I have obtained God Head. :rock:

...And then I went into the daily, triggered Dedication! at last, then promptly crashed. Upon reopening the game I guess it reverified my cheevos so now it looks like I cheated. Oh well.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 10, 2019

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Decided to start a new save file yesterday just to see if I can fill in the character sheets again before Repentance is released. First run was kind of a bummer, because I had the Vanilla Music Mod on and therefore I didn't unlock anything (I thought this was fixed but apparently not).

The following three were pretty stupid though. Unlocked Azazel on the 2nd run with Isaac, 3rd run with Aza Hard mode gave me Mom + Dark Room (too bad Angels weren't unlocked, otherwise I'd have gotten Mega Satan too), 4th run with Isaac led me to Womb 2, where I also found a 5-pip room. Second time around got me to Sheol, where I entered Dark Room via a sac room. Having both Key pieces I beat Mega Satan after The Lamb.

I was expecting to get my rear end kicked at least a little bit with a new AB+ save file, but so far it's been the other way around. Looking forward to bending this game to my will even more in the future.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I think I'm just going to download a save file and get all unlocks. I just don't have the time or the skill to unlock everything and I want Godhead. I've not seen a missing poster in like 100 hours. I think I used to see it all the time before I knew what it could do.

Rothon
Jan 4, 2012

Wugga posted:

First run was kind of a bummer, because I had the Vanilla Music Mod on and therefore I didn't unlock anything (I thought this was fixed but apparently not).

You have to beat mom's heart before you can use mods without disabling unlocks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Canuckistan posted:

I think I'm just going to download a save file and get all unlocks. I just don't have the time or the skill to unlock everything and I want Godhead. I've not seen a missing poster in like 100 hours. I think I used to see it all the time before I knew what it could do.

You do have it unlocked, right?

Aside from getting it purely from a dumb luck drop, it's down to getting a game break where you can Blank Card + Jera some infinite batteries and run Mom's Box through the trinket pool.

Also lbr having God Head unlocked doesn't mean all that much considering the rarity of Angel items on top of it being uncommon even within that pool AFAIK.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 11, 2019

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Yup, I do have it unlocked. I saw it a ton of times when I was grinding Greedier.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Rothon posted:

You have to beat mom's heart before you can use mods without disabling unlocks.

Ah, I see. Thanks! Won't have that problem anymore then.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
As someone who just unlocked the lost on ny second save file: i had like 6 runs where i got moms box and either the poster didnt spawn at all or it spawned late game and there were no sac rooms
The run i got it in i got moms box on basement 2 and only got the poster on the loving cathedral. Trying to unlock the lost took a approx cpmbined total of 5 hours or maybe more of just grinding for moms box and then using it. Say what you will about the randomness of holding r and spawning mullibooms on the first floor but it wasnt THIS much bullshit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ArfJason posted:

The run i got it in i got moms box on basement 2 and only got the poster on the loving cathedral.

This was exactly how it happened for me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Greed's Gullet, on top of seeming like it was supposed to part of the Keeper all along (especially since it otherwise only appears in the secret room pool and very rarely on top of that already fairly rare chance), is also incredibly unintuitive bordering on bugged. It completely disables normal HP gain from any other source. Or at the very least it does if you take a Devil deal for some mystifying reason. Even if the Devil deal took one of his original coin hearts and Gullet wasn't even "activated" yet. :what: I at least get why consuming a piece of Gullet HP destroys it forever (even if I don't necessarily agree that's how it should work), but that then being retroactively applied to his base health makes no sense.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 12, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

John Murdoch posted:

(Is there a way to say Ultra Hard wasn't actually as hard as I thought it'd be without sounding like an rear end in a top hat? It's more RNG than anything, like a number of other challenges, but also a few quirks, such as many enemies lacking champion variants, take some of the bite out of it.)

This game seems to be balanced around a playstyle that is way more doing puzzles, casting a spell or two then taking next turn. When nearly every actually run is "take maybe two turns and use hundreds of spells in a row to keep the turn going so every boss dies on turn one or two"

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This game seems to be balanced around a playstyle that is way more doing puzzles, casting a spell or two then taking next turn. When nearly every actually run is "take maybe two turns and use hundreds of spells in a row to keep the turn going so every boss dies on turn one or two"

That guys not talking about bumbo

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1207010914685186048

Isaac's Repentance is racing Terraria's Journey's End to be the more delayed final expansion.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Well, I guess that's only 1-2 Q's beyond where it was reckoned before as of late---but I guess folks are resigned to settling in for any and all Big Isaac happenings at this rate.

Now, the Comedy Option would be the delays seeing them run into yet another incompatible Mega-Mod manifesting out of ether the same as got them into this merry quagmire in the first place~

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Finally beat Delirium as the Lost. I don't recommend it.

I didn't do the one where you leave it on forever and let daddy's love take care of it, either. Just abused Algiz.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

for whatever reason I managed to clear delirium as lost on hard much quicker than I've been able to get anywhere with lilith. probably because she starts so slow it's hard to get the time-locked doors

really the only thing i still can't beat is zip

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

GrandmaParty posted:

Finally beat Delirium as the Lost. I don't recommend it.

I didn't do the one where you leave it on forever and let daddy's love take care of it, either. Just abused Algiz.

All of my Lost unlocks went incredibly smooth that way. Stacking Stop Watch, Blanket, Blank Card + Algiz or Chariot, and/or Tarot Cloth (oh and Car Battery for Blank Card too) makes it incredibly difficult to die. When I did Boss Rush I had all of that stuff combined so at first I thought the game was bugging out when my Agilz shield was lasting drat near forever. And that's of course just counting shop items and not stuff like Empty Vessel, Virgo, Celtic Cross, etc.

Oh and incidentally I finished unlocking everything last night. :toot: Now I just need to find the six new items I unlocked to complete the collection and trigger absolute 100% completion.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 19, 2019

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Normally if I break a run enough to make it to the endbosses with The Lost, it's going to be a steamroll unless I get utterly reckless. The tougher one for me was beating Boss Rush since it's such a drawn-out fight and there wasn't as much time to build up a formidable offense.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
All I've got left is Dedication. What a stupid achievement.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GrandmaParty posted:

All I've got left is Dedication. What a stupid achievement.

They changed it in a patch to just be 31 total dailies, not 31 in a row. I don't think the change is reflected in the Steam achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1212817192862896128