Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sorry bub, the recommended video cards for 1440p144, the 5700XT and 2070S are around $400 and start at $500, respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
For me the 144hz is less about seeing 144fps in games immediately and more about enjoying smoother desktop experience, and being able to realize those higher framerates if/when I do eventually upgrade my PC. But that said I generally don't play the latest blockbusters anyway, so I should still see at least some in-game benefits.

But just watch, a year from now there'll be some new GPU-minable bullshit internet currency and idiot hell fuckers will spike video card prices again.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

ItBreathes posted:

Sorry bub, the recommended video cards for 1440p144, the 5700XT and 2070S are around $400 and start at $500, respectively.

RX 5700 for 300 bucks is a thing and would also be in this performance bracket, though not quite as good as these other two options. If you want to be spicy, you can BIOS mod the RX 5700 with a 5700 XT BIOS, which unlocks more overclocking potential and brings the GPU within like 5% of a 5700 XT.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I got the LG 27GL83A and... wow, it's amazing. Nicest monitor I ever had. But I had a few questions about setting it up:

1) RTing has a bunch of calibration settings (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl83a-b) that I can't seem to adjust myself. They also have an ICC profile, which... how do I use that? How do I adjust all the variables they're talking about? For now I'm just using the factory-calibrated sRGB settings, which I can't use if I have HDR mode on. Which leads me to...

2) I had HDR on and all it seems to do is dim the game (RDR2) and block out a bunch of my settings, including the factory-calibrated sRGB mode. Everything just doesn't seem as vibrant. Am I missing something? Is there a reason I should be using it?

Edit: Ok I take it back, HDR does seem to make it more photo-realistic but it seems to be at the expense of brightness/color vividness. I feel like I just got a fancy new car after driving a broken-down beater my whole life.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 8, 2019

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Beautiful Ninja posted:

RX 5700 for 300 bucks is a thing and would also be in this performance bracket, though not quite as good as these other two options. If you want to be spicy, you can BIOS mod the RX 5700 with a 5700 XT BIOS, which unlocks more overclocking potential and brings the GPU within like 5% of a 5700 XT.

Just chiming in to say that I got this card and I'm super happy with it. I'm gaming on a 4k 60hz tv and while it can't push full 4k with everything cranked, it does a very admirable job at around 75% resolution scaling with a few settings turned down even in newer/graphically intensive games. The 8gb vram definitely makes a difference, especially if you wanna install high res texture packs. I'd rather get 50-60fps with gorgeous graphics than a solid 60 though, but I pretty much only play single player action RPGs or fighting games. For reference I've owned Nvidia midrange (gtx whatever-60) cards for a decade and this is the first time I've bought a card and been immediately satisfied with its performance. Probably going to flash the XT bios as soon as my watt meter gets here and I can confirm that my PSU will handle 30-40 more watts on the GPU.

Hakarne posted:

2) I had HDR on and all it seems to do is dim the game (RDR2) and block out a bunch of my settings, including the factory-calibrated sRGB mode. Everything just doesn't seem as vibrant. Am I missing something? Is there a reason I should be using it?

Did you turn on HDR in the game? HDR should not reduce color vividness but it definitely should not reduce brightness. My TV has pretty poor HDR but I have to crank the HDR brightness in AC:O almost all the way down or it burns my eyes. If you don't have HDR turned on in the game it tends to look washed out and ugly and bad. I accidentally left it on when playing dark souls (which obviously doesn't support HDR) and it looked washed out in the way you're describing.

Erm, edit: You have to turn HDR on in both Windows (hit the windows key and type "HDR" and it'll take you to the toggle) and the game to get it to work. Which is annoying as gently caress and I don't understand why windows can't detect this poo poo automatically.

Anyway I have a monitor question:

One of my best friends just lost their job on the same day their monitor decided to die, and I'd like to hook them up with a replacement for Christmas. I have a hard budget of $300 tops. From talking to them, I think they would like a 1440p freesync monitor (assuming that will work with a 1060 6gb). It's not important that it be 144hz or whatever though that'd be a plus. What would be really nice is if I could find something in my price range that can also do HDR/wide color gamut. Even lovely HDR would be OK. I'm a little confused as to how HDR works on monitors vs TVs though. Does a display have to support an HDR connection explicitly, or if it has good enough brightness + 10 bit color can it display HDR stuff even if the box doesn't say HDR?

Is there anything obvious that fits my budget or am I gonna have to sacrifice something?

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 8, 2019

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Acer Xf270hu from microcenter

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Anyone have a recommendation on a solid 1080p monitor? Turns out my ancient relic of a monitor from 2012 or so doesn't have a displayport slot, and I have been being nagged for years to get a new one anyway.

I've heard things like "don't get a 1080p monitor above 24 inches" but have no idea if that's still true.

I am near a Microcenter if that helps.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 8, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tallgeese posted:

Anyone have a recommendation on a solid 1080p monitor? Turns out my ancient relic of a monitor from 2012 or so doesn't have a displayport slot, and I have been being nagged for years to get a new one anyway.

I've heard things like "don't get a 1080p monitor above 24 inches" but have no idea if that's still true.

I am near a Microcenter if that helps.

Provided the 24" requirement is a limitation of your space, U2415s are still a thing, and at least you'd get 1920x1200 instead of 1080p. It has Displayport. They're still selling 2412Ms, too - but I'd pass on those since they've been in the channel *forever* now, and the earlier revisions had issues.

A 27" 1440p IPS will be a much better value for the money, though.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I ended up picking up one of the suggested LG 27 inch GL83A-B. I'm having issues when tabbing out and also if I'm using more than one monitor it has a lot of screen stuttering while playing games? Any Idea what might be causing this?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Anyone have any suggestions for glare? Is there a good monitor hood or screen? I'm in SoCal so there's a lot of ambient light in the afternoon even with the blinds closed - I'm having trouble seeing stuff at night in-game.

Also apparently the washed out stuff I was complaining about is a known issues with windows 10. Apparently there's no way to have HDR on only when you launch a game, so you have to leave it on always and try to offset how crappy it makes SDR content look. I managed to get it looking ok with their built-in compensation tool, but i wish I could just have HDR off until content that uses it is being played/streamed. I love how it makes games look.

Texibus posted:

I ended up picking up one of the suggested LG 27 inch GL83A-B. I'm having issues when tabbing out and also if I'm using more than one monitor it has a lot of screen stuttering while playing games? Any Idea what might be causing this?

Weird, I'm not having issues like that with mine. I don't think that's the monitor per se, that sounds like you're taxing your graphics card too much.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 9, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Texibus posted:

Is it flashing? I haven't had great luck with g-sync

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I don't think it is the graphics card I have a 1080 GTX in there. Also it is not flashing it just stops for a quick second and starts again. When I tab into my desktop from a game it like resizes the desktop.

Also, I'm playing things like Halo Reach and Heroes of the Storm. So it's not like they are demanding games.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 9, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

I have to say I’m still so, so tempted by the LG C9 after seeing one in person last week and they’re even on sale right now. The only problem is the size, I currently have a single 24” 1440p screen and going to 55” 4K on a desk would just be too comically large for a computer monitor. Too bad they do make them in the 40” range.

A small part of me thinks these OLEDs as computer monitors are simply ahead of the curve because screens get larger every year. (i.e. iPhone 4 vs current iPhone, 10 year old average PC screen size vs now, Ultra-wide trend, etc).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Texibus posted:

I don't think it is the graphics card I have a 1080 GTX in there. Also it is not flashing it just stops for a quick second and starts again. When I tab into my desktop from a game it like resizes the desktop.

Also, I'm playing things like Halo Reach and Heroes of the Storm. So it's not like they are demanding games.

what combination of programs are you running that would have access to changing desktop resolutions or scaling etc? if something like this happened to a couple of my setups i'd be looking for issues stemming from things like GeForce Experience/display fusion/built in PIP/input splitting hardware options maybe on monitor itself etc

E: for screen stuttering when using second monitor, if your computer has an iGPU does it happen if you run second monitor off of that instead of the 1080?

Worf fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 9, 2019

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

what combination of programs are you running that would have access to changing desktop resolutions or scaling etc? if something like this happened to a couple of my setups i'd be looking for issues stemming from things like GeForce Experience/display fusion/built in PIP/input splitting hardware options maybe on monitor itself etc

E: for screen stuttering when using second monitor, if your computer has an iGPU does it happen if you run second monitor off of that instead of the 1080?

Try it when I get home. The screen stuttering is still happening with games running on just a single monitor. I read someplace the gync/freesync could be the issue so along with your suggestions I'm going to turn that off when I get home.

Very bummed this isn't a common problem and is just some dumb setting that it's running.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Texibus posted:

Try it when I get home. The screen stuttering is still happening with games running on just a single monitor. I read someplace the gync/freesync could be the issue so along with your suggestions I'm going to turn that off when I get home.

Very bummed this isn't a common problem and is just some dumb setting that it's running.

Try a different cable as well, I was having issues with 1440p 144hz with a cable that did 1080p60 just fine.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Am I correct in assuming this monitor (https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34GK950F-B-gaming-monitor) with FreeSync2 tech will work with many NVIDIA cards as well?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Megasabin posted:

Am I correct in assuming this monitor (https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34GK950F-B-gaming-monitor) with FreeSync2 tech will work with many NVIDIA cards as well?

It will work with all Pascal and Turing cards, yes. Over DisplayPort only though, not HDMI, but that's the same for G-sync.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 9, 2019

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

TheFluff posted:

It will work with all Pascal and Turing cards, yes. Over DisplayPort only though, not HDMI, but that's the same for G-sync.

drat. I have a titan from the Maxwell era. I guess I can try and see what happens. My card definitely works with my current gsync monitor.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

concise posted:

Try a different cable as well, I was having issues with 1440p 144hz with a cable that did 1080p60 just fine.

I'll pick one up on my way home. I was using the DP cable that came with the monitor

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Megasabin posted:

drat. I have a titan from the Maxwell era. I guess I can try and see what happens. My card definitely works with my current gsync monitor.

Nvidia cards before Pascal do not support Freesync at all. It'll work as a fixed refresh rate monitor but you won't get variable refresh rate - there's no need to try it. G-sync will work though and there is a G-sync variant of that same monitor (LG 34KG950G) that will get you variable refresh rate with older Nvidia cards.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'm in the process of building a new computer, and want to replace my monitor, an old 4:3 LCD that's quite a bit older that my current build, which itself is about ten years old. New build will have a (used) Radeon RX 580 until I can get up the scratch for a newer card; in the mean time I'm eyeing the LG 27GL63T ($200 at my local Costco); is the GL83A-B enough of an improvement to justify the extra layout of funds? I haven't read/heard much of anything about it.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
The Legion 27" QHD 165Hz IPS is down to $499 at Walmart. I haven't seen this elsewhere:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Legion-27-2560x1440-HDMI-DP-USB-Hub-165Hz-1ms-FreeSync-QHD-LCD-Monitor-65EEGAC1US/326590403

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm in the process of building a new computer, and want to replace my monitor, an old 4:3 LCD that's quite a bit older that my current build, which itself is about ten years old. New build will have a (used) Radeon RX 580 until I can get up the scratch for a newer card; in the mean time I'm eyeing the LG 27GL63T ($200 at my local Costco); is the GL83A-B enough of an improvement to justify the extra layout of funds? I haven't read/heard much of anything about it.

27" 1080p is less than great. Just buy this now, it's worth the extra $100. Or drop another $20 for the version with a better stand. $380 for the LG is maybe worth it for someone who has it in their budget, but not a big deal IMO.

There are a lot of great deals on monitors right now, and if it's anything like last year that will continue until around new years, but if you know you want something, just get it now.

Megasabin posted:

I think the bigger question is why are you looking at such a relatively high end monitor with such an old GPU. If you plan on upgrading in relatively short order and don't mind living without VRR for a while, go ahead I guess, but overall it seems like a mismatch.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 9, 2019

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

drat. I don't get paid until Friday, and this looks like a really good price for this tier of monitors. Is it common for decent 1440p 144hz IPS displays to go down to $300? Could I expect another deal like this before Christmas?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

K8.0 posted:

27" 1080p is less than great. Just buy this now, it's worth the extra $100. Or drop another $20 for the version with a better stand. $380 for the LG is maybe worth it for someone who has it in their budget, but not a big deal IMO.

There are a lot of great deals on monitors right now, and if it's anything like last year that will continue until around new years, but if you know you want something, just get it now.

Done. Thanks a bunch; I know jack all about modern monitors even after reading the OP. And I though GPU shopping was bad...

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Items I tried last night:
I replaced the cable
basically shut down everything but the game I was playing, the onscreen app software provided with the monitor and Nvidia experience software.
Fiddle with settings in game and apps
Only running one monitor

Desktop still gets hosed up if tabbing or coming out of an app. It basically resizes all and flashes.

Still getting stuttering in game, but at one point it cleared up after turning the Gsync off and on.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The resizing is normal if you're running a game at non-desktop res, or playing a really lovely game that changes the resolution every time you alt tab.

Stuttering really isn't enough to define what your issue is there. What exactly do you mean by that?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Turning and the screen freezes for a small second then picks up motion again. I'll try to hook up the elgato tonight and capture some footage.

Desktop and games both set at same resolution

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Texibus posted:

Turning and the screen freezes for a small second then picks up motion again. I'll try to hook up the elgato tonight and capture some footage.

Do you have HDR on? I get that "resize" sometimes alt-tabbing from RDR2 when I have it running with HDR.

On a related note, windows has a surprisingly poo poo implementation of HDR functionality. I don't get why they haven't made it so you can only have it run in HDR when there's HDR content. Instead they put in a half-assed slider to compensate for how it distorts SDR content.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Texibus posted:

On the first one, I would try disabling VRR and seeing if the issue stays or goes. Try to determine the specific cause.

For the second, do you perhaps have Gsync set to only work when fullscreen? That could reset the monitor's connection when you alt tab. If not, what specific games are doing this? It may just be you're playing some really poo poo games.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Going to cross post this here from the parts thread since this might be better:

I have two dell 25” monitors. I need a dual VESA mount that clips to the back of the desk against the wall that is relatively low profile in terms of distance between the monitors and the wall. I see a lot of weird chinese ones on amazon and am not sure which brands are garbo. VIVO is good? Gas arms seem like they need more space. I could mount to the wall but seems like a hassle when I could desk clip. I would just set position once and forget.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

K8.0 posted:

On the first one, I would try disabling VRR and seeing if the issue stays or goes. Try to determine the specific cause.

For the second, do you perhaps have Gsync set to only work when fullscreen? That could reset the monitor's connection when you alt tab. If not, what specific games are doing this? It may just be you're playing some really poo poo games.

I do have it set to full screen only, so I'll adjust that. One of the first things I turned off was HDR for my desktop. The two games I've been testing on have been Halo reach PC and Heroes of the storm.

One thing noted tonight while trying stuff was that I'm getting huuuuuge frame rate dips when I move my mouse when a lot of action is going on. Can have the same amount of action occuring but no dips in frames if I don't move the mouse pointer.

Also, I'm getting all kinds of weird desktop issues, starting to think there is some kind of software conflict with the onscreen app.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I've been rocking a 27" Predator 144Hz IPS Gsync monitor but after seeing cheap 34" VA panels out there (100Hz FreeSync) - would I be better off getting a second 27" or switching to a 34"?

I primarily game and code on it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

VA is not good for gaming, the response times and motion clarity would be a huge step back for you. Even good IPS ultrawide in general is not worth the price premium for most people. I would definitely worry about getting any old secondary monitor before thinking about ultrawide. The utility of a second screen to look at while gaming or to cross-reference when working is enormous.

Texibus posted:

I do have it set to full screen only, so I'll adjust that. One of the first things I turned off was HDR for my desktop. The two games I've been testing on have been Halo reach PC and Heroes of the storm.

One thing noted tonight while trying stuff was that I'm getting huuuuuge frame rate dips when I move my mouse when a lot of action is going on. Can have the same amount of action occuring but no dips in frames if I don't move the mouse pointer.

Also, I'm getting all kinds of weird desktop issues, starting to think there is some kind of software conflict with the onscreen app.

That definitely sounds like something not directly monitor related. I would definitely not run whatever weird manufacturer OSD app and see if that fixes it. The likelyhood of some weird conflict is high, especially possibly between the OSD app and say the GFE or Steam overlays.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 11, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

FWIW if youre using discord, disable the poo poo out of the discord overlay

That poo poo was causing a pretty hilarious amount of problems for me and weird desktop issues

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I've got a 1440p IPS on the way for gaming, but now I'm thinking about how that upgrade is going to make me feel about my 27" 1080 VA monitor at work. I teach college so all I need to do there is mess around with word documents and waste time watching youtube, but now that I'm looking for motion blur I see it when I scroll through a document and I can see where text isn't as sharp as it could be. I'm thinking about moving up to a 32" 1440 75hz IPS at work, and here's my question: what would I need to check to see if my work laptop could push that higher refresh rate and resolution? I use a school-issued Dell from a few years ago that I plug into a docking station. Is a typical reasonably-contemporary laptop equipped to supply higher resolutions? What should I look at to confirm?

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

So far as I could tell when I was searching, 32" 1440p 144hz IPS isn't a thing that exists

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

concise posted:

So far as I could tell, 32" 1440p 144hz IPS isn't a thing that exists

If you're replying to me, you're right, but I'm looking at a 75 HZ monitor, which does exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Racing Stripe posted:

If you're replying to me, you're right, but I'm looking at a 75 HZ monitor, which does exist.

Ugh, reading comprehension is hard in the morning... I'd go 4k60hz at that screen size for work stuff, but that's just me.