Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
“Hey, buddy, can you like, bounce around a little bit? I’m doing a... motion study.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
seemingly inevitably, we're back at recursive dickpics.

syntaxrigger posted:

I guess it takes all kinds, as the saying goes, still I am surprised someone with this personality is also interested in art enough to go to a life drawing class. I guess it could have been one for college where some frat bro got advised to take art because "Dude! Naked chicks!" or some such.
In the same class there was also this older asian lady who was incredibly shocked that there'd be naked people

meanwhile I was like "WHY IS EVERYONE GRAVITATING TOWARDS ME WITH THEIR HANGUPS"

syntaxrigger posted:

"all you need to do is draw what you see..." is a piece of advice that I feel describing in words doesn't seem to do it justice. I under stand the advice and I feel like I can do it every so often but I find it takes a non-zero amount of effort to get into that 'mode' and stay there. I assume switching back and forth gets easier with time, right?
Bingo. Takes practice, just like any other skill. Something I've recently remembered that may help you wrt to faces: try turning your subject upside-down, if possible. This creates unfamiliarity, mentally distancing you from what you know, so that it's easier to get to what you see.

in some sense, the WHERE DICK story is essentially about the conflict between what one knows and what one sees!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I mean, honestly, I never got over being 12 and finding drawing nobs on stuff hilarious.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I am sort of excited and nervous. I woke up at 2:30am and couldn't go back to sleep till 4:30. Question I have heard you should 'draw big' when you are starting out. Is there some truth to that? Is that especially true in figure drawing classes?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I think it comes down to taste, but it's definitely worth trying - working at A1 with charcoal is a very loose, flowing experience compared to working smaller.

Good luck!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

syntaxrigger posted:

I am sort of excited and nervous. I woke up at 2:30am and couldn't go back to sleep till 4:30. Question I have heard you should 'draw big' when you are starting out. Is there some truth to that? Is that especially true in figure drawing classes?

It sounds counterintuitive, but drawing large actually forces you to spend less time agonizing over small details - if an eyebrow is only an inch wide on the paper, it's pretty noticeable if it's 1/8th an inch off. But if the eyebrow is 3 inches wide an eighth of an inch is barely noticeable. It also forces you to draw more with big arm movements instead of small wrist movements.

If you do want to go large a pad of newsprint and a box of vine charcoal (the easiest to erase and most forgiving of charcoals) will only set you back a few bucks, but there's also something to be said for using the materials that you're familiar with when you're first starting something new, like your first time in a class. I would say bring what you're most comfortable with and use those for at least the first class or so.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

syntaxrigger posted:

"all you need to do is draw what you see..." is a piece of advice that I feel describing in words doesn't seem to do it justice. I under stand the advice and I feel like I can do it every so often but I find it takes a non-zero amount of effort to get into that 'mode' and stay there. I assume switching back and forth gets easier with time, right?
Even though it may sound deceptively simple, it's one of the hardest things in drawing.

Also yeah, drawing big is kind of true. "Big" as in a lot bigger than people usually draw but not so big that you're having a hard time reaching stuff with your arm without turning around and moving a lot (at that point your drawings will usualyl start looking worse instead/be more difficult to make correct).
For life drawing and for my arm length I like paper between 14x17" and 18x24" (~36x44cm and ~46x61cm, respectively, if you're one of them future folk).
At that size, you'll often be able to "sight size" (draw stuff at the same size you see it from your perspective) and it will be easier to intuit & execute things like "I have to draw this twice as long as the other shape."

Finally, try to sit close enough that you're drawing "sight size" so that the model, from your perspective, fills up the size of your paper. If it's a big class you're most likely have to struggle for space, so get there early and steal the spot of anyone near the model who looks unsure of their position :getin:

e: oh yeah, and general etiquette tip, especially for long poses don't be afraid to correct, e.g. "do you think you could move your foot just a tad to your left" and that sort of thing to keep the model's pose consistent—just be polite and they'll usually appreciate it. Drawing a consistent pose keeps you from having to make up too much in your head and lets you keep "drawing what you see"

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 6, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Totally gonna need a trip report on this one.

Oh, already done!

lofi fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 7, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Trip report: no tits, no dicks. I think you should get, like, a discount if you get a clothed model.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Lol. She had pretty amazing hair. I was just at a very bad angle to draw it. Also curls are hard

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I am coming to this thread very late, so forgive me if this has come up before, but this book is absolutely indispensable when it comes to figure drawing. It's just a straight-up book of the human form: black and white photos of men and women taken in deep perspective from all sorts of crazy angles. Definitely worth adding to your reference library.

The Atlas of Foreshortnening

E: And apparently there's a Second Edition available now as well.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 8, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's a really cool idea, but the photography in the preview looks horrible - is it okay in the real thing?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Honestly I haven't seen the 2nd edition in person. If I had to guess I'd say the preview images are intentionally fuzzed just to keep people from using (stealing) them.

That being said, I have seen the original version (which is apparently out of print and available on Abe, which I linked, and maybe Alibris) -- a friend of mine had it. Those photos were phenomenal and included a variety of poses, including sitting and standing as I recall (which seems to be one reviewer's issue with the new edition, that most/all of the images in the new book are in the prone position).

What I liked best was that it's just a straight book of photos. No long detailed instructions, on how to do this or that, just well-composed reference photos taken from some amazing angles that really emphasized how foreshortening works. If the choice is between 1st edition or 2nd, I'd go with the 1st edition, even if it is a little harder to come by. If nothing else, it's a fascinating study of human anatomy from angles that you don't normally see.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 8, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

dupersaurus posted:

Life drawing classes: where objectifying women's bodies is kinda what you need to do?

Comedy discussion at the committee meeting of my local art society where we were discussing getting different models because people are bored of our usual one who's a leggy blonde with big boobs.

We've decided to add in a bloke and a voluptuous woman to vary things and get numbers back up.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, good call! Like I said, just drawing attractive young women feels frustratingly limited after a while.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Sick and tired of staring at these hot women all day.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

ikr.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yeeeeeah look at this oh my god

https://i.imgur.com/GRgSzYH.mp4

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Of course the demonstration of a good tool is some dumb Nintendo thing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I need more dumb Nintendo things in my life.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Way to prove me wrong, buddy! :arghfist::imunfunny:

Do you still want it if it's finished and ... 45 bux, including postage? I tried to pm you but you can't/won't receive messages. I couldn't send it anyway atm 'cause our postal workers are ON STRIKE with no end in sight.

Let me buy plat when I get up in the morning and I'll pm ya.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mutata posted:

I need more dumb Nintendo things in my life.

I need less corporate branding in my life.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Edit: Nevermind.

mutata fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 15, 2019

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

is the only benefit for the stick is something to rest your wrist on so it doesn't touch the wet paint?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's a Mahlstick, and yeah, it's just a tool to give you something to rest your wrist on for better control.

I spent all day today helping out at a craft fair. I've been dragged into this startup charity supporting "artists with invisible illnesses", and I keep being like 'this is bullshit, I could volunteer for something that makes much more difference' and nearly quitting - then at the end today a woman told me it was her first time selling her stuff (scented candles) irl, and she'd never have been able to do it without our support, and she really enjoyed it. :3:

So fine I guess I'm staying with it a bit longer then. I am the gooniest volunteer, but I guess I gotta admit it's more useful than... not doing it.

Fucken scented candles.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm currently trudging through my own crisis of "I need to be doing more wtf is wrong with me" and sometimes the work that just helps individuals out and changes their life or gives them something they couldn't have or achieve otherwise is the most rewarding. It's certainly far from meaningless. That's pretty cool.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, that sounds really great. However you feel about scented candles, you're helping that woman get her art out there to people who will appreciate and use it, as well as get her the funds to continue working. That's a really good thing you've done for her and for all the other artists you're helping.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Just gotta try to remember that next time there's a bullshit pointless meeting for two hours. :unsmith:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
*narrator voice* Next time on Life of Lofi:

"..and I called this 2-hour meeting to discuss the merits of scented vs. unscented candles" :words:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
today i discovered my hair is long enough to stick brushes and pens in it, i feel like this is a victory since i seem to lose them every single time i set them down

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
*narrator voice* Next time on Al!:

*furiously ruffling his hair* "where the gently caress is that brush I swear I put it in here just a moment ago"

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Seriously though, most of my brush-losing problems went away when I got a roll-up brush case, sorta like this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955053670.html

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i got fired for weeping in front of customers

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Any reason, or just in the mood?

Was this the god-cosplay service gig?

lofi fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 16, 2019

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
You doing ok, fauna?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

fauna posted:

i got fired for weeping in front of customers

Did they remind you of a lost quail?

..seriously thought, that is absolute BULLSHIT TO THE MAX, where's the person who fired you, I'm gonna teach them compassion the hard way.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

haha it's ok, weeping is kind of my thing, it's a physiological reflex i have zero control over and it happens at the weirdest times. such as in front of the customers! :spergin: this was the first job i've had with a compassionate manager who understood :( but we had to come to an agreement that christmas retail hell isn't an environment i can cope with and probably never will be

the good thing is i earned a month's rent before my untimely death, and i also got an insider look at what cartoons and toys are popular with the kids, which was enlightening (frozen. it's frozen)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeesh, that sucks, sorry to hear that!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

fauna posted:

haha it's ok, weeping is kind of my thing, it's a physiological reflex i have zero control over and it happens at the weirdest times. such as in front of the customers! :spergin: this was the first job i've had with a compassionate manager who understood :( but we had to come to an agreement that christmas retail hell isn't an environment i can cope with and probably never will be

the good thing is i earned a month's rent before my untimely death, and i also got an insider look at what cartoons and toys are popular with the kids, which was enlightening (frozen. it's frozen)

It was super niche but in college I worked for a bookstore that needed extra holiday help. All they had me do was scan books into the system and put them on shelves. No customer interaction. It was pro.

Sorry to hear about your job. I hope something new comes along at a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

now i have more time to spend on my art!

*does zero art*