Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
God the new Black Christmas looks poo poo poo poo poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
TO AVOID FAINTING
KEEP REPEATING
IT'S poo poo
IT'S poo poo
IT'S poo poo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Too late I fainted from how absolutely milquetoast that trailer looks

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

honestly i love both black x-mases the 2006 one is tight af and the original is just a masterpiece but the new one looks like hot garbage and isnt it pg13 can we please make pg13 horror illegal

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

honestly i love both black x-mases the 2006 one is tight af and the original is just a masterpiece but the new one looks like hot garbage and isnt it pg13 can we please make pg13 horror illegal

Who's gonna start that change.org petition, I'll sign it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

his last movie before this was an adaptation of Piercing by Ryu Murakami (author of Audition) starring Mia Wasikowska which I still haven't seen but looked VERY interesting

Didn’t even hear about this, thanks

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

COOL CORN posted:

3 is worth watching just for the crash zoom in the hospital scene. God what a loving shot.

I’m sayin.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

can we please make pg13 horror illegal

PG13 Horror's fine when it's the right story for it. It's when a story that's more suited for R getting crunched down to PG13 where things get lovely.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

pg13 is so weird bc there's often tons of violence but then you have weird rules like you can't say gently caress so you'll get weird scenarios like a dude being chased by a demon slasher and hes like "oh...darn!" its wicked jarring tbh

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
All you need is to have more than two “fucks” or people of the same sex making love to get an R-rating, I really don’t give a poo poo if a movie with a higher implied-to-explicit violence ratio doesn’t conform to what the MPAA thinks is too far.

Edit: somehow beaten by someone who wasn’t even making the same point

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

pg13 is so weird bc there's often tons of violence but then you have weird rules like you can't say gently caress so you'll get weird scenarios like a dude being chased by a demon slasher and hes like "oh...darn!" its wicked jarring tbh

I want a unrated level violent demon slasher movie where they say drat and poo poo but anywhere where one would apply the word gently caress they say "craplousy" instead like in Battlefield Earth.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Even if I was shooting a movie to be R/unrated I think I would still have point where someone goes "oh...darn!" right before getting graphically gutted by way of demon slasher.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

K. Waste posted:

All you need is to have more than two “fucks” or people of the same sex making love to get an R-rating, I really don’t give a poo poo if a movie with a higher implied-to-explicit violence ratio doesn’t conform to what the MPAA thinks is too far.

Edit: somehow beaten by someone who wasn’t even making the same point

did u just use the term making love in my chud online horror forum

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

For real, who the gently caress would use that term.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

Pulling up a list of PG13 Horror films brings up some you expect like Arachnophobia and Critters, then you see the outliers like Drag Me To Hell.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

PG-13 horror films often fall into the 15 rated category in UK cinemas. But then so do R rated horror films. So, the 15 rating in the UK interestingly incorporates a wide swath of horror content, there are a number of films that I was surprised to learn were PG-13 because they were a little harsher than I would expect for that rating - for me it's not necessarily always a bad thing . Of course, PG-13 action and blockbuster films normally land in the 12A. There was an interesting case about ten years ago when The Woman In Black was released and was done so as a mildly edited 12A, which caused a bit of hand wringing because parents were taking their four year olds into it and then were getting mad at poor cinema workers because the film clearly was not suitable, even if it did have Harry Potter in, because UK audiences still struggle with the idea that just because you can take a child into a 12A, doesn't mean you necessarily should.

Watched the 1943 Phantom of the Opera the other day and that's a weird film. During the production they shot it with Claude Rains' the Phantom as Christine's father before thinking it raised the shadow of incest and quickly removing that revelation. However, watching the film it is so clearly implied that it feels weird that they don't reveal it, and the end result is a lot creepier with an old man being inexplicably obsessed with a young woman. I think it would be far better, and more moving had they kept it in, I like the idea of a neglectful father trying to make amends for his neglect by silently supporting his daughter but being too scared to tell her he's her father. That seems to be the way Raines is playing it too.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

M_Sinistrari posted:

Pulling up a list of PG13 Horror films brings up some you expect like Arachnophobia and Critters, then you see the outliers like Drag Me To Hell.

also Happy Death Day, probably the best slasher movie since Scream

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Who do you think would do the coolest remake of Event Horizon? Let's get more sci-fi horror with black holes.

E: a really cool horror movie about black holes would be a slow burn surreal horror as someone is getting ripped apart by a black hole the entire movie. Extended cut of course.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tertius Oculum posted:

Who do you think would do the coolest remake of Event Horizon? Let's get more sci-fi horror with black holes.

tossup between Paul Verhoeven and Joseph Kahn

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tertius Oculum posted:

E: a really cool horror movie about black holes would be a slow burn surreal horror as someone is getting ripped apart by a black hole the entire movie. Extended cut of course.

Honestly?...

S. Craig Zahler?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

K. Waste posted:

also Happy Death Day, probably the best slasher movie since Scream

Happy Death Day really suffered from the PG-13 rating though.

K. Waste posted:

Honestly?...

S. Craig Zahler?

Explain how

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see the great displacement and the white genocide of our people by the globalist conspiracy.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It’s a black hole, duh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Karloff posted:

PG-13 horror films often fall into the 15 rated category in UK cinemas. But then so do R rated horror films. So, the 15 rating in the UK interestingly incorporates a wide swath of horror content, there are a number of films that I was surprised to learn were PG-13 because they were a little harsher than I would expect for that rating - for me it's not necessarily always a bad thing .

Yeah growing up in the UK, the ‘cut to 15’ mentality drove me mad. It would’ve been so much easier if the BBFC just copied the same rating system as the country of origin for a massive amount of the movies then applied their own laws on top (ie no martial arts weapons) rather than having to constantly deal with studios trying to maximise sales. I don’t even think the 18 rating was that big a deal, especially back in the day, but the studios treated it like an X. Always had to look out for imported copies and the like whenever I saw the cut list.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tertius Oculum posted:

Denis Villeneuve

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

david_a posted:

Denis Villeneuve

this is the correct answer

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind seeing Alex Garland get a crack at Event Horizon.

Villeneuve is an easy answer because you could say literally anything there. Event Horizon remake? Villeneuve. Dark City remake? Villeneuve. Godfather remake? Villeneuve.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hes the only man id trust to remake evil bong

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

married but discreet posted:

Happy Death Day really suffered from the PG-13 rating though.

Lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

there are good pg13 horror movies but there has never been a good pg13 slasher movie ever

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

there are good pg13 horror movies but there has never been a good pg13 slasher movie ever

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I could have sworn that the Tobe Hooper Invaders from Mars was PG, but I can't seem to locate a firm rating in my cursory looks on the internet beyond a poster listing it as "R," :confused:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I could have sworn that the Tobe Hooper Invaders from Mars was PG, but I can't seem to locate a firm rating in my cursory looks on the internet beyond a poster listing it as "R," :confused:

IMDb says it's PG, but the poster they use does say R

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I looked it up on the BBFC (the British system) and it's a '12' on there, and it would be unusual for an R to get reduced down to that. Perhaps it was rerated between theatrical and video releases?

e: looking at the full disclosure for it, looks like it had a cinema release in the UK as a PG with a minute of cuts, then a PG video release presumably with the same cuts (no cut is mentioned, but that probably means the distributor submitted the version that was already cut) a year later, then the 12 version came out in 2015 with a longer runtime and is presumably uncut.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 11, 2019

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

Anaconda, motherfucker.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

did u read my post anacondas not a slasher

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I sentence you to rewatch Anaconda.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I watched it earlier this year for the first time since I was a kid and PG stuck in my mind because it is definitely a horror movie. Of course upon thinking about it there's no real onscreen violence or death of humans, everything is implied. On the flip side they do shoot and blow up some of the aliens. I don't recall any swearing or nudity either, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a Hitchcock and just resubmitted it without any changes at some point.

I will say that one of the special features on the blu-ray has one hell of an amusing story about how they got the marines to participate in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You could probably say that some of the earlier slashers might get a PG-13 today, like Halloween or Texas Chainsaw. Maybe they'd get the R just based on "disturbing content" or whatever, but maybe not.