Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

StabMasterArson posted:

I just meant that it might not be that easy, just adding a save button could break the whole thing for all we know

Well of course but that's why you don't develop an entire game before going "perhaps the players would like to save their progress?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

AndrewP posted:

Wondering if anyone knows what’s going on here:

Playing Stormland with Oculus Link, and when I move my very quickly I can see the “edge” of the frame like it can’t quite keep up with my head movement. Very noticeable when I look up and down.

Is this just my 1070 not having the juice or what? Maybe a Link issue?

That's the behavior you'd expect from low framerate or signal lag, yeah. The Quest will be "reprojecting" at the last minute to make sure the world turns smoothly as you turn your head smoothly, but it only has a narrow cone of rendered world to work from. If you turn your head fast you'll see the edges of that cone until it gets a new image from the game.

PantsBandit posted:

It's not backseat game dev to say "this dev team probably could've found a way to include this extremely basic feature that every other game manages to do"

No, but saying "implementing saving isn't that hard" is. Implementing a good mid-level save system is probably the second hardest thing in game dev*.

But obviously just because it's hard doesn't make it okay to release a game without it any more than it'd be okay to release a game without audio.

* - Overall hardest is implementing a good third person camera.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Floating hands are better than IK.

Extremely situational as to which is better

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

But obviously just because it's hard doesn't make it okay to release a game without it any more than it'd be okay to release a game without audio.

Oh come on, not having a mid level save is not the end of the world. People play rouge-likes that go for an hour without a save and the world hasn't ended.

From what I can tell a lot of boneworks levels are pretty straight forward once you know what to do, so if you lose "progress" you can get it back extremely quickly. Agreed it's an odd omission, but think about all the odd things you can do. To get a world state save you'd have to save the position of every single object, and it's state. So that box you broke up into 5 piece, where are those 5 pieces. They could add some check points mid level, but trying to keep track of the world state is bonkers hard and would have probably resulted in a much less ambitious game.

EDIT: NM I haven't gotten there yet, but apparently several levels are multi hour long, yeah I'm agreed holy poo poo how did you not add check points.

They could signaled it at the start, but I think as a physics sandbox lack of mid-level world state save makes sense. Having to do the toss stuff in incinerator multiple times on the first level was annoying, but they could have fixed that with a checkpoint (and reset the world state).

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 11, 2019

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boneworks is 29.99 made by an indie developer who's last two games were janky messes. They experimented a lot because of this. A lot of it hits really really hard, few things do not hit at all.

Though I'm not shocked to see the VR thread eating itself alive over it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I thought Duck Season was generally considered very polished?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AndrewP posted:

Wondering if anyone knows what’s going on here:

Playing Stormland with Oculus Link, and when I move my very quickly I can see the “edge” of the frame like it can’t quite keep up with my head movement. Very noticeable when I look up and down.

Is this just my 1070 not having the juice or what? Maybe a Link issue?

Is it reprojecting? Check your frame rate yo

You gotta check frame rates in VR, its so basic

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

homeless snail posted:

That's exactly what I mean by VR legs not being real. Some people get a little more acclimated to it over time but its not a universal thing and VR isn't really something you can Get Good at. You quoted a lot of people that have dozens to hundreds of hours in VR and it still made them sick. I think that's proof enough VR legs are bullshit ...

It very much depends on the person. There's a certain genetic thing that causes some people to never develop "sea legs" and by extent those same people also never get used to induced VR movement "VR Legs". Some people are also better at keeping their balance than others and need a small adjustment time to get their heads around it.

In my case, I was a little of A and B. Over time I definitely got better at induced movement while playing Pavlov. I went from barely able to keep my balance and getting sick after 30 minutes to being able to stay in Pavlov for very long periods of time while rocketing around the map like it's nothin'.

"VR Legs" exist in the same way sea legs exist. But in that same vein there are people who it will never be 100% comfortable for. In the end I think you are correct in that some select comfort features are important if you are targeting a wide demographic of players.

I have had a good time with Boneworks in-spite of the many, many, flaws core to their design. If anything it's a great data point for VR devs to use when making future titles.

edit: But it might be telling that I am not spending the last 2 days of the year I have with my VR kit playing Boneworks. Instead I went right back to working on my experimental VR project with a fist full of design lessons on what Boneworks succeeded and failed at.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 11, 2019

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Stick100 posted:

Oh come on, not having a mid level save is not the end of the world. People play rouge-likes that go for an hour without a save and the world hasn't ended.

From what I can tell a lot of boneworks levels are pretty straight forward once you know what to do, so if you lose "progress" you can get it back extremely quickly. Agreed it's an odd omission, but think about all the odd things you can do. To get a world state save you'd have to save the position of every single object, and it's state. So that box you broke up into 5 piece, where are those 5 pieces. They could add some check points mid level, but trying to keep track of the world state is bonkers hard and would have probably resulted in a much less ambitious game.

They could signaled it at the start, but I think as a physics sandbox lack of mid-level world state save makes sense. Having to do the toss stuff in incinerator multiple times on the first level was annoying, but they could have fixed that with a checkpoint (and reset the world state).

How are rogue-likes relevant here? Those aren't VR games and Boneworks isn't a rogue-like. I have trouble stomaching the game for more than an hour, so I have 2 options here
A) take my time knowing that I won't be able to finish the level in one sitting and that I'll have to do everything again
B) just get to the objective as fast as possible, no loving around, so I can finish the level before feeling sick. If I can't do that then tough luck I guess, quit the game and do everything again another time

I don't understand what's so bad about saving the states of physics objects, Half-Life 2 did it fine 15 years ago, maintaining everything from broken pieces of stuff to velocities between saves. I get from a development perspective that it's probably difficult to do, but given how long the levels are why would they think neglecting this feature entirely would be a good idea?

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 11, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

HolyKrap posted:

How are rogue-likes relevant here? ...

I edited my post ( didn't realize how long the levels were), yeah they need check points at least. Of course tracking every object and saving it's state is possible but extremely complicated and error prone. My statement was doing that would likely have reduced the scope of the game either through the work, or causing them to choose to do less ambitious things with physics/breakables.

I thought the levels were like 15 minutes long once you knew what you were doing, but 2 hours if you were just messing around or looking for collectibles. Yeah just checkpoints for major actions/various location and reset the world should be easy enough to implement. They have taken the feedback and will likely come up with something pretty soon.

The think that has surprised me most is that they have an IK head. Not having a head move/rotate without specific user intention (so that their brain can prepared for it) is the THE NUMBER ONE VR rule. This probably is one of the worst games for motion sickness thats come out recently.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

I edited my post ( didn't realize how long the levels were), yeah they need check points at least. Of course tracking every object and saving it's state is possible but extremely complicated and error prone. My statement was doing that would likely have reduced the scope of the game either through the work, or causing them to choose to do less ambitious things with physics/breakables.

I thought the levels were like 15 minutes long once you knew what you were doing, but 2 hours if you were just messing around or looking for collectibles. Yeah just checkpoints for major actions/various location and reset the world should be easy enough to implement. They have taken the feedback and will likely come up with something pretty soon.

The think that has surprised me most is that they have an IK head. Not having a head move/rotate without specific user intention (so that their brain can prepared for it) is the THE NUMBER ONE VR rule. This probably is one of the worst games for motion sickness thats come out recently.

"Leave inventory on player, reset all physics objects on save (In save file, not live game obviously)".

Yeah sure, if you wander backwards you can probably exploit that and get extra poo poo but w/e.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Stick100 posted:

Setting aside the (very important) fact that the most popular games of that genre don't require hardware that is notorious for making many people feel ill and need breaks, there are roguelikes/lites that save your progress, with the caveat that you can only pick up right back where you saved. Slay the Spire, FTL, and Into the Breach, for example. So that's not even a hard and fast rule for the RL genre.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Lemming posted:

Extremely situational as to which is better
Yeah, for sure. For example, in the situation where you're playing a first person VR game, floating hands are better.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Echo VR would be distinctly worse with floating hands. The arm ik in it is extremely immersive for me.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stick100 posted:

If you have a proper cable and a proper computer you can play both via Oculus Link.

I have a proper computer, I haven’t figured out what the proper cable is yet. I will definitely try the Link stuff at some point.

I was really excited to play lots of stuff on the quest and ya it quickly dawned on me how much of what I thought was on there actually needs a PC. Oh well a reason to revisit steam sales

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

Echo VR would be distinctly worse with floating hands. The arm ik in it is extremely immersive for me.

Exactly, plus to expand on Echo, since it's a competitive multiplayer game, you need to be able to see your own body so you know what other people are seeing and interacting with. A higher level tactic is to physically turn your body around, it will pull your legs in a little and this can often be the difference between an opponent being able to catch you and them not being able to. Without that IK and body presence, this wouldn't be possible (ok technically you could watch the behavior of the IK on other players' bodies and see they tuck in if they turned and know that that's what would be happening to your body even if it was invisible but you know what I mean).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have a proper computer, I haven’t figured out what the proper cable is yet. I will definitely try the Link stuff at some point.

I was really excited to play lots of stuff on the quest and ya it quickly dawned on me how much of what I thought was on there actually needs a PC. Oh well a reason to revisit steam sales

Keep trying USB A -> C and USB C->C cables and your different ports, you'll eventually find a combination that works at some point. Unfortunately they required a cable that can transfer power and USB 3.0 data at the same time. It's pretty rare and requires the heaviest cable I have. I have about 12 cables and only one works. Could have used any cable but then you'd have to stop and charge every once in awhile I really hope they change over to use easier to source cables.

Some things I figured out for Oculus Link:

The Vive Link box can be used as a powered extension. The Vive 3-1 cable does NOT work as a link cable with a female A to female A connector + valid cable.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 11, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

PantsBandit posted:

It's not backseat game dev to say "this dev team probably could've found a way to include this extremely basic feature that every other game manages to do"

actually my friend is an engineer that worked on boneworks and they specifically chose to not have a save feature for very good security reasons and your post made them feel bad

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

Keep trying USB A -> C and USB C->C cables and your different ports, you'll eventually find a combination that works at some point. Unfortunately they required a cable that can transfer power and USB 3.0 data at the same time. It's pretty rare and requires the heaviest cable I have. I have about 12 cables and only one works. Could have used any cable but then you'd have to stop and charge every once in awhile I really hope they change over to use easier to source cables.

Some things I figured out for Oculus Link:

The Vive Link box can be used as a powered extension. The Vive 3-1 cable does NOT work as a link cable with a female A to female A connector + valid cable.

Vive link box is so clutch. Its basically a free extension to any headset that'll plug into it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Got my Quest in tonight. Superhot is definitely 1000% better with actual hand tracking instead of trying to use the loving PS Move controllers. I just got to the drop. I was not expecting them to do that haha, had to slightly remove my headset for a sec to readjust.

Looking forward to trying more stuff out!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hellsau posted:

actually my friend is an engineer that worked on boneworks and they specifically chose to not have a save feature for very good security reasons and your post made them feel bad

lmao

Also of course everybody is expecting the boneworks guys to have top-notch security, unlike Valve. So they HAVE to! YOU PRICK!

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Just got my index controllers. They're good for some games and kind of lovely for others. Espire 1 is infinitely better, but H3's default control scheme sucks.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Zaphod42 posted:

lmao

Also of course everybody is expecting the boneworks guys to have top-notch security, unlike Valve. So they HAVE to! YOU PRICK!
What's any of this hypothetically have to do with security, of all things? It's a single player game!

Unit24 posted:

Just got my index controllers. They're good for some games and kind of lovely for others. Espire 1 is infinitely better, but H3's default control scheme sucks.
H3 got a lot better for me once I found the setting to always sprint.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Use Armswinger movement in H3VR. It's much more fun.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ralith posted:

What's any of this hypothetically have to do with security, of all things? It's a single player game!

Read the past few pages before Boneworks came out. Or, better yet, don't!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ralith posted:

We're referring to a previous post ITT which was a bit much. Its an in-joke which should have been clear from the "YOU PRICK" in all caps out of nowhere.

I suggested that Oculus should let you install to any drive in your computer, and someone called me a prick because apparently their friend worked for oculus on the installer and read some mean things on twitter and took it personally and that was somehow my fault :v:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Zaphod42 posted:

We're referring to a previous post ITT which was a bit much. Its an in-joke which should have been clear from the "YOU PRICK" in all caps out of nowhere.

I suggested that Oculus should let you install to any drive in your computer, and someone called me a prick because apparently their friend worked for oculus on the installer and read some mean things on twitter and took it personally and that was somehow my fault :v:

Oh, I didn't recall that anyone was making security rationalizations for that whole debacle. That's at least marginally more plausible, if still ultimately dumb.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

This is the only thread on the forums that might have worse takes than a YouTube comment section. Not just once either, consistently. Daily even.

It’s unreal

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the only thread on the forums that might have worse takes than a YouTube comment section. Not just once either, consistently. Daily even.

It’s unreal

By our powers combined... :)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Really was only a matter of time, but if you are logged into Facebook, Oculus VR data will be used for ads soon.

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-ads-vr/

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

somethingawful bf posted:

Really was only a matter of time, but if you are logged into Facebook, Oculus VR data will be used for ads soon.

Never log into Facebook? Okay can do.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

Yeah even my facebook/oculus apologetic rear end does not have my facebook linked to my quest/oculus stuff. Newp.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

somethingawful bf posted:

I love the language Facebook is using here; "No, you don't need to integrate your Oculus account with a Facebook account yet, but you DO need a Facebook account for all these key features we're adding or revising so you'll have to do it to use them anyway!"

UploadVR also just does not have much of a clue on what they're talking about, because they just zero in on "can they look through your cameras at your room??" instead of any of the real money-makers like biometric metadata. RoadToVR's article on the same topic has a better long-term take on the situation.

Hellsau posted:

Not gonna matter in the long-run;

quote:

Not only that, but Facebook says it will eventually also require you to sign in to use existing social features such as joining parties, adding friends, and visiting other people’s Oculus Homes—things you can already do now with basic set of Oculus login credentials, which are critically not tied to your personal identity.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 12, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Quote is not edit :cripes:.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

so what you're saying is make a fake facebook account sooner than later, got it

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I'm sure it will never occur to them to aggregate data based on credit card names or similar.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Use Armswinger movement in H3VR. It's much more fun.

That would destroy my arthritis ridden arms in a hurry.

My issue isn't with movement, it's with picking things up and operating them. Feels like I have to grip weirdly tight to hold onto things. And using the trackpads to grab stuff from a distance/eject mags is more intuitive when they're bigger and clickier.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Facebook doing scummy poo poo? I am shocked, SHOCKED!

Maybe the real VR was learning how to smash capitalism.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Unit24 posted:

That would destroy my arthritis ridden arms in a hurry.

My issue isn't with movement, it's with picking things up and operating them. Feels like I have to grip weirdly tight to hold onto things. And using the trackpads to grab stuff from a distance/eject mags is more intuitive when they're bigger and clickier.

I ended up making a custom control layout to use the buttons for some of that stuff. It's a little clunky by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I found I tended to grip far harder than necessary by instinct, and have mostly been able to make myself relax.