Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it a good mechanic or a bad mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Really enjoyed Theros the last time around, I played so much Mono-U Devotion and it RULED.

Can't wait for the return of the Indestructible Enchantment Gods.

zoux posted:

It's a totally decent mechanic, it enourages people to try and build mono-colored decks around it. It also encourages playing cards that would never normally see Standard play simply because they cost BBB or whatever. Last time Theros was legal, the two best decks were Mono-B Devotion and Mono-U Devotion.

Making mono-colored decks more viable in this Standard seems like a good thing.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 11, 2019

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

WotC is starting their Theros Beyond Death reveals way early (probably due to the gigantic leak).

Devotion gods are back.

Elspeth is back and deader than ever.

Ashiok looks cool (alt art probably means we're getting $30 paper boosters for this set too)

A better look at the kickass constellation basic lands

They're also teasing a reveal at the Game Awards (The Keighleys) tomorrow night. Last year they gave out a code for a playset of 5 uncommon standard staples plus a couple good rares. It was a good code, got 4 The Eldest Reborn and 4 Lava Coils out of it. I think the timing has a lot to do with the show as well.

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1204823217195671552

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

zoux posted:

It's good. I used to run a boros devotion deck that had the chance to kill someone on turn 3. First two turns you would play simple lands and whatnot and 1/2 mana creatures.
Turn 3 you play this land

THEN play 1-4 of these assholes

Use the two floating mana to use Nykthos's ability to generate a lot of mana to bring in these

or this

or this

It had so many options. If you had like a RR 2-droped followed by 4 Burning Trees the Nykthos makes 10 mana to drop two fanatics, dealing 23 damage. It was a hoot.

I doubt they'll reprint Nykthos for this set but we'll see what they'll do.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 11, 2019

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

qbert posted:

It's a totally decent mechanic, it enourages people to try and build mono-colored decks around it. It also encourages playing cards that would never normally see Standard play simply because they cost BBB or whatever. Last time Theros was legal, the two best decks were Mono-B Devotion and Mono-U Devotion.

Making mono-colored decks more viable in this Standard seems like a good thing.

Probably inferring way too much from one card, but the only spoiler we have so far with devotion is actually two colors. They might be pushing that instead this set? That definitely seems like a build-around card.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

devotion is a cool mechanic with the caveat that it scales infinitely, so very good devotion decks tend to be snowbally (the better you’re doing, the better all your cards are)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

TipTow posted:

Probably inferring way too much from one card, but the only spoiler we have so far with devotion is actually two colors. They might be pushing that instead this set? That definitely seems like a build-around card.

Yeah, Athreos was originally a devotion god card from Journey into Nyx, so they may be reprinting new versions of those two-colored ones.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't feel like squinting but people said that's the bab, so probably not a full cycle of off-color gods

TipTow posted:

We've had like 50 cards spoiled, and there are devotion to singular colors and the what not.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Playing Wednesday Brawl and holy hell Ashiok as commander makes people concede a lot.

edit: I should specify Mono-U Ashiok. People fuckin' hate getting countered with Tale's End or having their commander Kasmina's Transformationed.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 11, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
How does Devotion work with combined-colour costs like Rampart Smasher?

E:

Zero VGS posted:

Playing Wednesday Brawl and holy hell Ashiok as commander makes people concede a lot.

edit: I should specify Mono-U Ashiok. People fuckin' hate getting countered with Tale's End or having their commander Kasmina's Transformationed.

People just concede a lot generally in Brawl because there's minimal penalty for doing so.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

E:

People just concede a lot generally in Brawl because there's minimal penalty for doing so.

You get the devotion of both. So like you'd have 4 devotion to green, and 4 devotion to red. Those kinds of cards are GREAT in devotion.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

Counts as four in either category but not both

So your devotion to green is 4, to red is 4, and to red/green is 4.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah Devotion has a nice synergy with both the mono-colour payoff mechanics from Eldraine and the hybrid cards from Ravnica/Eldraine. It should open up a lot of good mono-colour options to compete with the multi-colour rich meta we've had lately. Should be a nice diverse meta if they don't have another turd in the punchbowl like Oko/Veil/Field/Once/et al.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm interested in how devotion will be shaped by our new colored artifacts. I mean, last time around we had Enchantment Artifacts like Spear of Heliod for 1WW - will they just be artifacts now?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I had a couple of mildly miserable drafts today. I built good-to-excellent decks both times (gruul the first time, monored the second), and got thoroughly screwed by draw the second time, albeit it taught me not to play Torbran until he gives me lethal given how much of a priority he is to remove. But I made Gold!

Mardu Knight Rush is going very well in Constructed at the moment. if it keeps going I should finally manage to break out of plat. It's a fun little deck with 20 lands and nothing more expensive to play (i.e. actually put on the table) than Acclaimed Contender, and the only hing more expensive than that being EMbercleave which in practice costs 2.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm interested in how devotion will be shaped by our new colored artifacts. I mean, last time around we had Enchantment Artifacts like Spear of Heliod for 1WW - will they just be artifacts now?

Considering that one of the themes is enchantments matter, you'll still probably see Enchantment Artifacts to count as both

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

axeil posted:

I'm still playing Simic Flash but now I'm running a Jund Cat Food deck and I like both decks a lot. I think I'm turning into the kind of Arena player everyone hates.

I personally hate the cat food decks because of all the clickin involved in digital play but playing high level magic with powerful decks is one of the most fun things about the game and you shouldn't feel bad about it!
Standard is actually in a pretty good spot right now with a fairly diverse metagame and lots of viable decks. It's a shame people got so driven off by Oko/Once/Veil before we got to this point.

I've been really enjoying the BG adventures deck lately. If you can build it I would definitely reccomend taking it for a spin. I've been playing the Lucky Clover version just because I like having both value engines and some of the dumb stuff you can do once you get rolling with innkeeper or clover. One sort of funny thing with the deck is when you have one or more clovers out and need to do some weird targetting stuff with Murderous Riders so you don't fizzle the original copy if you want to cast it afterwards.

The UR flash matchup feels completely unwinnable though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

I guess but a lot of it is definitely Ashiok, I've had multiple people shame concede when use Fabled Passage or Nissa's Triumph expecting them to work.

I can't laugh at them too hard though because I probably forget about the passive abilities on opponent planeswalkers once a day.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
That Ashiok's -7 is going to make it hard to decide which cards to trash for Escape. In theory it could also steal Adventurers. Of course how often do you expect to be able to pop that ultimate.

Scary synergy with WAR Ashiok too.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Do you have to cast the (up to 3) spells for that ult as part of the resolution of the ability being used? Does t3feri hose that ult the same way he does with finale of promise?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

resistentialism posted:

Do you have to cast the (up to 3) spells for that ult as part of the resolution of the ability being used? Does t3feri hose that ult the same way he does with finale of promise?

It doesn't specify a timing window (ie "this turn" or "as long as they remain exiled") so you have to cast them as part of the ability's resolution. This means the ability gets hosed by Teferi yes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wezlar posted:

I personally hate the cat food decks because of all the clickin involved in digital play but playing high level magic with powerful decks is one of the most fun things about the game and you shouldn't feel bad about it!
Standard is actually in a pretty good spot right now with a fairly diverse metagame and lots of viable decks. It's a shame people got so driven off by Oko/Once/Veil before we got to this point.

I've been really enjoying the BG adventures deck lately. If you can build it I would definitely reccomend taking it for a spin. I've been playing the Lucky Clover version just because I like having both value engines and some of the dumb stuff you can do once you get rolling with innkeeper or clover. One sort of funny thing with the deck is when you have one or more clovers out and need to do some weird targetting stuff with Murderous Riders so you don't fizzle the original copy if you want to cast it afterwards.

The UR flash matchup feels completely unwinnable though.

I made the Lucky Clover version of Golgari Adventures and I clearly have no idea how to play the deck because I went something like 1-6 with it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

axeil posted:

I made the Lucky Clover version of Golgari Adventures and I clearly have no idea how to play the deck because I went something like 1-6 with it.

What's your list and what are you doing with it?

Clover Golg Adventures assumes you're trying to get kills with Smitten Swordmaster plus clover, not swinging for damage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve found that smitten Swordmaster is almost never the kill for the Warfield build, they are just lightning helix for 1 like 99% of the time, but that’s still super good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've stopped getting those kills a lot, but I think I messed with my deck too much to the point where it's tending not to have them. I really want to find some more scry to fit in there, because the Smidsy kill is immensely satisfying.

I also think people have simply learned a bit better what to prioritise in fighting it. Unusually it's actually NOT the Innkeepers, quite a lot, onc there's a board established, it's the knights, because two swordmasters plus two knights on board and one Clover is 2+2, play SM, 3+3, Play SM for 10 damage/heal, and two more lifelinkers on the board. The cards mostly don't matter at that point.

It also suffers from a lot of the same problem areas as rush decks, whilst actually being a grind/control archetype, principally having almost all its creatures be 2HP or under, and cost 3 or under, so it's vulnerable to a LOT of wipes.

Speaking of which, Mardu Knight Rush just took me back into Diamond, loving FINALLY. Super satisfying, I keep getting SUUUUUUUUPER wide, and I still only have 3/4 of the Worthy Knights, when I finally find the fourth it'll get even better. Ditto the other two Ebon Legion. Make the curve even lower, get rd of even MORE land. It's by far my most successful deck with a winrate at 70% right now. Untapped is so useful, thanks for the advice to the thread on that poiint.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Just went 7-2 with a sweet mono blue deck where I drafted Gadwick first and Covetous Urge second and was just straight on it. Couple arguable picks but it was a really fun deck to play.
deck
draft

The best game was one where I bounced my opponents Stonecoil Serpent, then Covetous Urged it. Next turn played it for 9, then Gadwicked for 9 the turn after that.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 12, 2019

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So, I just clicked through the end of a match and got a "Did you have fun?" prompt and accidentally hit no before I realized what happened. What was that about?

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So, I just clicked through the end of a match and got a "Did you have fun?" prompt and accidentally hit no before I realized what happened. What was that about?

Sometimes the game will ask if you had fun. Say yes if you won and no if you lost.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well poot. I wanted to be a good sport because I liked the guy's deck but nuts to that I guess. I hope that guy doesn't get some kind of notification like "X players this month (including Dr. Red Ranger) hate you and think you suck."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I assure you the data will never be used for anything ever.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Marketed Gum posted:

Sometimes the game will ask if you had fun. Say yes if you won and no if you lost.

That’s my plan. I got asked last when my opponent conceded on turn two. Hell yeah I like easy wins.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

zoux posted:

Probably some chart in a board room somewhere, "As you can see, happy faces are up this quarter, therefore..."

And the dastardly Hasbro executive whom reddit ascribes all potentially greedy malicious acts upon is like "Happy faces are good! Me Grimlock happy face!"

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Probably some chart in a board room somewhere, "As you can see, happy faces are up this quarter, therefore..."

And the dastardly Hasbro executive whom reddit ascribes all potentially greedy malicious acts upon is like "Happy faces are good! Me Grimlock happy face!"

"We're getting three smiley faces from best of one for every one smiley face from traditional therefore people must prefer best of one"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Everybody has fun in Brawl, let's charge for it!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If your devotion to smiley faces is 5 or more, you win the game

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

If your devotion to smiley faces is 5 or more, you win the game

Oh, it’s weird that they’d start doing power level errata again with Happily Ever After, but that’s a good change!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

zoux posted:

Do you work for Google or Facebook?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Do you work for Google or Facebook?

He didn't say that the data would be sold to ICE.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
10k gold for brawl. Get hosed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Every consecutive time you answer "no" to the fun question, it increases the value of packs you open by 1%. When you say "yes", it resets to the default.

That's how you beat the system