Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

how can he be wrong literally are you saying that veidt didnt actually have an evil plan to end to the cold war by murdering a fuckton of people and rorscach just made all that up

wrong to expose it after the fact, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

SA poster Serf: one day a real rain is going to come and wash away all the trash from the streets

yeah, from wall street

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

finished the righteous gemstones and i gotta say, i think edi patterson ended up stealing the show with her manic insanity. at least it seemed like she was definitely having the most fun being absolutely as over-the-top as possible with her character.

i had heard that this was supposed to be just a single season limited series, but apparently it got optioned for a second season? if that's correct i almost don't want them to touch the property again; true detective and stranger things have made me extremely apprehensive about these kinds of series running face first into a brick wall on their sophomore attempt

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

finished the righteous gemstones and i gotta say, i think edi patterson ended up stealing the show with her manic insanity. at least it seemed like she was definitely having the most fun being absolutely as over-the-top as possible with her character.

i had heard that this was supposed to be just a single season limited series, but apparently it got optioned for a second season? if that's correct i almost don't want them to touch the property again; true detective and stranger things have made me extremely apprehensive about these kinds of series running face first into a brick wall on their sophomore attempt

The scene where she describes raping her economics professor is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The scene where she describes raping her economics professor is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

it was hilarious in the context of the show

since i managed to enjoy gemstones, is vice principals comparable in quality? i passed it up before but now i'm curious about whether i should watch that too

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
vice principals is a lot meaner

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Freaking Crumbum posted:

since i managed to enjoy gemstones, is vice principals comparable in quality? i passed it up before but now i'm curious about whether i should watch that too

It's my favorite of the Jody Hill/Danny McBride HBO shows, though I love all of them. Gamby is just such an instantly recognizable character, in that nearly everyone encountered one at some point in their life, very possibly as an authority at school.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Yeah it wouldn't have landed the same way if they didn't have most of the season to set up that she's practically a feral child.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Has the Boys alienated all the normies it brought in with the relentless lurid sexual assault and weepy backstory, or did they smooth all that stuff out enough for TV.

I think TV The Boys works better simply because they made Butcher not CIA

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

The evil turtle demon who has the living bodies of the protags loved ones fused to it's necrotic shell so he has to literally annihilate his family to defeat the evil turtle demon is FTW

lmao thank you. i saw this bit on tv when i was like 5 years old, and it kinda hosed me up. i only remembered it very vaguely, but it stayed with me for over two decades and i could never find out where it was from.

now i can finally be free, after i also repress all the soviet cartoons that hosed me up even more

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zhulik posted:

lmao thank you. i saw this bit on tv when i was like 5 years old, and it kinda hosed me up. i only remembered it very vaguely, but it stayed with me for over two decades and i could never find out where it was from.

now i can finally be free, after i also repress all the soviet cartoons that hosed me up even more

The really hosed up communist bloc animations are the Czech ones.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Which one of the three sets of classic Star Wars films do you guys think are the best

The original because it reminds me of my grandpa who loved those movies. Then second place is the prequels because they remind me of babysitting my brother, but my now adult brother mainly just sits quietly strumming a guitar, waiting for his wife to tell him to start working on a new project she just thought up, which is depressing, so thinking about my grandpa and my youth is nicer.

I’m sure if I have a kid the newest trilogy or whatever is out then will be my new favorite and I’ll get mildly aggravated when other (presumed) adults talk poo poo about it online.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The really hosed up communist bloc animations are the Czech ones.

Can't say that I'm familiar with those, do you have an example? When I think of animation that had some sort of a lasting effect on me growing up I think of poo poo like The Mystery of the Third Planet, Plasticine Crow, Investigation Held by Kolobki and Last Year's Snow Was Falling, plus just about any cartoon by Armenfilm.

Looking them up on wikipedia, i'm not surprised to learn that quite a few of them were frowned upon by censors due to possibly containing subversive themes (lol).

Frankly I struggle to think of a soviet cartoon that's not gorgeous/extremely charming/weird as hell.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zhulik posted:

Can't say that I'm familiar with those, do you have an example? When I think of animation that had some sort of a lasting effect on me growing up I think of poo poo like The Mystery of the Third Planet, Plasticine Crow, Investigation Held by Kolobki and Last Year's Snow Was Falling, plus just about any cartoon by Armenfilm.

Looking them up on wikipedia, i'm not surprised to learn that quite a few of them were frowned upon by censors due to possibly containing subversive themes (lol).

Frankly I struggle to think of a soviet cartoon that's not gorgeous/extremely charming/weird as hell.

Animation in Czechoslovakia was mostly stop motion stuff in the tradition of puppetry, and they regularly crossed the line between representing reality and going completely surreal in ways that are cool but that a kid would think is terrifying. Jiri Trnka was the pioneer of Czech animation under communism and founded a whole film school for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrpCOETjGfg

I think Jan Svankmeyer is the animator most known for the especially disturbing stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHJObamrXEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bUUOXOWXnY

Svankmeyer's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland is especially infamous because they did a ton of stop motion animation with just taxidermied animals.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Svankmeyer's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland is especially infamous because they did a ton of stop motion animation with just taxidermied animals.

Nah, that was Wladyslaw Starewicz, who was a giant inspiration on Svankmajer. Stuff like The Cameraman's Revenge and An Insect's Christmas uses dead bugs as puppets. Not Czech tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U424m8utJnA

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Apes-Ma posted:

Nah, that was Wladyslaw Starewicz, who was a giant inspiration on Svankmajer. Stuff like The Cameraman's Revenge and An Insect's Christmas uses dead bugs as puppets. Not Czech tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U424m8utJnA

This just isn't hitting the creep spot at all. Alice has photorealistic color which really brings out the sheen of dead fish skin and glass eyes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Has the Boys alienated all the normies it brought in with the relentless lurid sexual assault and weepy backstory, or did they smooth all that stuff out enough for TV.

the bit where Starlight is raped is toned down and the one character who does it gets me-too'd and demoted. and then later he gets assaulted himself.

https://screenrant.com/boys-amazon-series-improve-starlight-controversial-comic-moment/

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uber_stoat posted:

the bit where Starlight is raped is toned down and the one character who does it gets me-too'd and demoted. and then later he gets assaulted himself.

https://screenrant.com/boys-amazon-series-improve-starlight-controversial-comic-moment/

That's quite the change

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This just isn't hitting the creep spot at all. Alice has photorealistic color which really brings out the sheen of dead fish skin and glass eyes.

My favourite Svankmajer touch is that all the food that appears in his films always looks gross and unappealing.

Svankmajer was definitely inspired by Starewicz, but his genius was that he managed to make films that were more authentically disgusting without using taxidermied animals as puppets.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Other than the basic concept and the weird circa 2004 anti-evangelism episode the boys show is totally different than the comic

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The only problem I had with The Boys was the idea that the company that handles the supers would let them anywhere near an evangelist who touts gay conversion therapy in 2019, when they're supposed to be these antiseptic, meticulously focus grouped corporate products. That feels like a an artifact of older source material. They should be #woke brands. If anything, one of them is getting sent to Pride.

edit: was typing up the above while this was posted

Bro Dad posted:

Other than the basic concept and the weird circa 2004 anti-evangelism episode the boys show is totally different than the comic

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Tbf they do pivot to that later by monetizing starlight's metoo moment but yeah that episode is jarringly out of date

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

Tbf they do pivot to that later by monetizing starlight's metoo moment but yeah that episode is jarringly out of date

Is that something out of the comic? I haven't read it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Do people think the Christian media circuit disappeared in the last 15 years?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

General Dog posted:

The only problem I had with The Boys was the idea that the company that handles the supers would let them anywhere near an evangelist who touts gay conversion therapy in 2019, when they're supposed to be these antiseptic, meticulously focus grouped corporate products. That feels like a an artifact of older source material. They should be #woke brands. If anything, one of them is getting sent to Pride.

I loved The Boys TV shows despite the few rough spots.

Antony Starr was a amazing casting as Homelander especially how he chews scenery and really sells the whole corrupt Superman concept really well with a dose of vulnerability.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Do people think the Christian media circuit disappeared in the last 15 years?

No, but if we're running with the metaphor that these superheroes are meticulously managed brands run by a major corporation, it doesn't make sense that they're letting them anywhere near that rodeo, much less sending them against their will. How would Disney like, say, Brie Larson appearing at a Focus on the Family event?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should have turned it into a Disney Channel style pedophile grooming center

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

They should have turned it into a Disney Channel style pedophile grooming center

I think this was the plot for season 2 of Happy!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

General Dog posted:

it was muddled in the comics too, like there was one hero who had to apologize to the public for being gay and another who was made into the gay friendly hero for PR purposes (while also being a massive homophobe on top of that).

this is a storyline in the comics actually. almost like Ennis had an idea what Bryan Singer was up to too!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Didnt Innis grow up in war torn Ireland or nah

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hated reading most of The Boys because even for my jaded taste it's so ghoulishly nasty, but it honestly did stick with me. Garth Ennis has a real knack for making the gallows humor really make you feel sick about the goings on by really piling on the exploitation poo poo. I think though it's when he tries to pull it together into a seriously literary arc is when it always falls down. He's just better at making you disgusted with rape and murder than he is at communicating his usually softer humanist message.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

it was muddled in the comics too, like there was one hero who had to apologize to the public for being gay and another who was made into the gay friendly hero for PR purposes (while also being a massive homophobe on top of that).

In the show it seems like sometimes they're celebrities and sometimes they're more analogous to politicians just depending on what the storyline is (it's more usually the former). You kind of need to pick one track or another, because those two occupy different spaces with radically different expectations in the public imagination.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Animation in Czechoslovakia was mostly stop motion stuff in the tradition of puppetry, and they regularly crossed the line between representing reality and going completely surreal in ways that are cool but that a kid would think is terrifying. Jiri Trnka was the pioneer of Czech animation under communism and founded a whole film school for it.

I think Jan Svankmeyer is the animator most known for the especially disturbing stuff.

drat pretty good, cheers

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
star blors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Wd9-TLERo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNHafuFbxLc

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

I actually don't like this fully, like I'm cool with him getting demoted but using sexual assualt as a punishment for sexual assualt rubs me the wrong way

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

General Dog posted:

recall that christian leaders across the country are tripping all over their own dicks to proclaim donald trump as the next coming of jesus, the most holy man to ever hold the executive, truly the king of the jews etc.

that's a thing that's happening in real life. right now

the only reason #wokebrands is even a thing is because the minimum baseline level of public approval of homosexuality finally tipped over the point of being a positive ROI for marketing dollars back in 2015 when obama made his half-hearted "okay, fine, homosexuals can get legally married i guess" gesture and then bitched out joe biden for forcing his hand on the issue

i can 100% believe brands would love to be able to explicitly advertise in all of the various evangelist events and concerts and etc. and it's only contemporary public sentiment that's giving them any hesitation at all

i dunno, it's weirder for me that someone actually thought that was an unrealistic portrayal. i saw those scenes on the show (having never read the comic beforehand) and completely accepted that it was a plausible thing that makes sense

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

youve forgotten two of the most terrifying, eldritch creations that man has ever imagined. just the thought of them makes me shudder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47RhzGMZeQ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMH6wljk4Xw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

recall that christian leaders across the country are tripping all over their own dicks to proclaim donald trump as the next coming of jesus, the most holy man to ever hold the executive, truly the king of the jews etc.

that's a thing that's happening in real life. right now

the only reason #wokebrands is even a thing is because the minimum baseline level of public approval of homosexuality finally tipped over the point of being a positive ROI for marketing dollars back in 2015 when obama made his half-hearted "okay, fine, homosexuals can get legally married i guess" gesture and then bitched out joe biden for forcing his hand on the issue

i can 100% believe brands would love to be able to explicitly advertise in all of the various evangelist events and concerts and etc. and it's only contemporary public sentiment that's giving them any hesitation at all

i dunno, it's weirder for me that someone actually thought that was an unrealistic portrayal. i saw those scenes on the show (having never read the comic beforehand) and completely accepted that it was a plausible thing that makes sense

its nuts how super recent this shift was but in between 11/9 changing everything and the media pretending that theyve always been in favor of gay rights it feels like this was last century like outside of bernie literally all the dem presidential candidates have had patently terrible moments of pandering to or even explicitly supporting antigay people even buttigieg the candidate whose only gimmick is that hes gay tulsi gabbard is the only one whos ever called out on this even though she made her shift several years before the others did