Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If you can get into that router/modem's interface from your phone, I'm guessing you need to set it into a non-modem mode and probably turn off DHCP. I'm assuming you're just setting it up to provide an extra WiFi connection, and your house's main router/modem hands out IP addresses?

yeah. my pc is plugged into it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Turns out it was a setting in nordvpn that stays on when you aren't connected and the app isn't running

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What's a good gigabit ethernet router that I can stuff in a closet alongside my fiber modem? I'd like to use it to route wired ethernet to other rooms thru 4-ports running from the closet.
Right now, the modem is connected via ethernet to a mesh router sitting in the living room.

Wifi is fine but I'd like ethernet for game streaming from my studyroom gaming desktop to my living room TV.
Also, if I place a router in the closet and leave the mesh router in the living (switched to AP mode) - that should work?

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 6, 2019

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

shrike82 posted:

What's a good gigabit ethernet router that I can stuff in a closet alongside my fiber modem? I'd like to use it to route wired ethernet to other rooms thru 4-ports running from the closet.
Right now, the modem is connected via ethernet to a mesh router sitting in the living room.

Wifi is fine but I'd like ethernet for game streaming from my studyroom gaming desktop to my living room TV.
Also, if I place a router in the closet and leave the mesh router in the living (switched to AP mode) - that should work?

I think you just need a switch after the mesh router. Does it have any Ethernet ports on it?

frailimbnursry
Feb 14, 2004
my roommate touches me
I picked up an Nvidia Shield for 4k streaming from my NAS and gamestream from my desktop PC. I was disappointed when I watched Kodi stutter and report the read rate was too low for playback of a particularly high bitrate movie.
iperf3 reported 94.5mbps between the two endpoints which makes me believe I'm running into a 100mbps barrier somewhere along the network. I plugged a Dell Chromebox 3010 into the Cat6 used by the Shield to run iperf3.

My current setup involves:
Freenas server <> Netgear GS108 switch <> TP-Link Archer C7 <> Monoprice 10927 switch <> Nvidia Shield

All are connected via Cat6 with the longest run being between the Netgear and the TP-Link and the next longest between the TP-Link and the Monoprice. The Netgear LEDs indicate a 1000mbps link. The Monoprice isn't able to display 10, 100, or 1000.
My hope is that it's the Monoprice device since I can't confirm if the link is 1000mbps and it would be the easiest piece to switch out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be the bottleneck (if one exists)? Or how I might be able to narrow it down?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

frailimbnursry posted:

I picked up an Nvidia Shield for 4k streaming from my NAS and gamestream from my desktop PC. I was disappointed when I watched Kodi stutter and report the read rate was too low for playback of a particularly high bitrate movie.
iperf3 reported 94.5mbps between the two endpoints which makes me believe I'm running into a 100mbps barrier somewhere along the network. I plugged a Dell Chromebox 3010 into the Cat6 used by the Shield to run iperf3.

My current setup involves:
Freenas server <> Netgear GS108 switch <> TP-Link Archer C7 <> Monoprice 10927 switch <> Nvidia Shield

All are connected via Cat6 with the longest run being between the Netgear and the TP-Link and the next longest between the TP-Link and the Monoprice. The Netgear LEDs indicate a 1000mbps link. The Monoprice isn't able to display 10, 100, or 1000.
My hope is that it's the Monoprice device since I can't confirm if the link is 1000mbps and it would be the easiest piece to switch out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be the bottleneck (if one exists)? Or how I might be able to narrow it down?

Have you checked the read rate of your FreeNas?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

willroc7 posted:

I think you just need a switch after the mesh router. Does it have any Ethernet ports on it?

Do you mean stuffing the router in the closet and using the switch to handle the routing?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

frailimbnursry posted:

You should be able to verify the speeds being negotiated by the Monoprice switch by looking at the port on the TP-Link router that goes to the Monoprice switch (if the LED doesn't denote speed, check the GUI), and check on the Shield itself to see what it reports its link speed at (i assume there's a diagnostic page somewhere that can show this).

You could also validate the cabling by removing the TP-Link uplink cable from the Monoprice switch and connecting it to a laptop/chromebox/etc instead.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 6, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

shrike82 posted:

Do you mean stuffing the router in the closet and using the switch to handle the routing?

No, I think he's saying that you use the router to share the connection from the modem, you can't add ethernet ports between the modem and the router because they'd be trying to share the modem which isn't a thing. If you want more wired connections they need to be from the router, or from a switch placed after the router in your total network diagram. The physical locations are up to you but you can't split the connection at the modem, so you may need to relocate the router if that's what you want to do. You could locate the router in the closet and plug devices into it (if it has more Ethernet ports) or add a gigabit switch to whatever ports it has to provide enough for your hookups.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Rexxed posted:

No, I think he's saying that you use the router to share the connection from the modem, you can't add ethernet ports between the modem and the router because they'd be trying to share the modem which isn't a thing. If you want more wired connections they need to be from the router, or from a switch placed after the router in your total network diagram. The physical locations are up to you but you can't split the connection at the modem, so you may need to relocate the router if that's what you want to do. You could locate the router in the closet and plug devices into it (if it has more Ethernet ports) or add a gigabit switch to whatever ports it has to provide enough for your hookups.

I mean depending on how you have the Ethernet going from the modem to the mesh router, you could just run a second Ethernet cable back to the closet to run the switch.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Unfortunately there's some ambiguity in terms here, gateway/modem/router are often used interchangeably when they've got distinct functions.

Get us a manufacturer and model or picture of what we're calling the modem so we can try to figure out what's in play.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

frailimbnursry posted:

Your NAS, router, and Shield should all have interfaces to tell you what speeds their links are running at. Check them.

frailimbnursry
Feb 14, 2004
my roommate touches me

withoutclass posted:

Have you checked the read rate of your FreeNas?

I used the instructions in the second comment here and the result was 732 MB/s (5862.54 mbit/s).

H2SO4 posted:

You could also validate the cabling by removing the TP-Link uplink cable from the Monoprice switch and connecting it to a laptop/chromebox/etc instead.

Such a simple suggestion I'm embarrassed it didn't occur to me.
Doing this and iperf3 reports 112 MB/s and 941 mbits/sec.

Unless I'm interpreting it wrong, it looks like it's the Monoprice that needs to be replaced. I'll pick up another GS108.

frailimbnursry
Feb 14, 2004
my roommate touches me

Inept posted:

Your NAS, router, and Shield should all have interfaces to tell you what speeds their links are running at. Check them.

You're right. I confirmed with the NAS but I couldn't find it in any of the router menus and completely overlooked it in the Shield. The Shield confirms only a 100 MBps link.

Edit: I didn't mean to create a new post but I'll take the opportunity to thank everyone for the suggestions and advice. I appreciate the help.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If you're trying to stream video and don't care as much about games, an Apple TV with Infuse can't be beat.

frailimbnursry
Feb 14, 2004
my roommate touches me
I replaced the switch but all of the devices connected to it are still limited to 100mbps. The line running to the switch is reporting 1000mbps. I'll look at switching some cables in and out but some of the cables were cut from the same spool as the ones confirmed working at 1000mbps.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gonna be setting up a mesh wiki kit this week in a home that has a modem/wifi router combo being rented out from the ISP. I already looked into and I can put the modem/wifi router into bridge mode so that the mesh kit takes over router duties. Question though: when setting up the mesh router, if I use the SSID and password they have now with modem/router combo, would all the devices on their network connect to the new mesh wifi just fine? Or would we have to reconnect everything again?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you use the same SSID and password and the network encryption type is the same it should all "just work."

stevewm
May 10, 2005
You may run into a a few stupid devices that won't.... because while you pick your SSID when connecting the device, in the background it actually stores and connects using the BSSID (MAC Address). And this will be different even if you make the SSID the same. The biggest offender is usually cheap IoT devices like wifi switches/plugs.

When I switched to a Unifi AP, I had 3 devices require me to reconnect them again. A Wifi RGB LED controller, TP Link smart switch, and a cheap wifi camera.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Not sure if right thread but I'm having an internet speed issue. I pay for 200mb DSL (think it's vDSL?) and I never get more than 160mb on any speedtest. But I also never get less. It's 160 always (unless I'm obviously downloading something at the same time). The ISP is telling me it must be an issue with the phone cord from the jack to the modem and that I need one of theirs but they want $125 for the tech to even enter my house. They won't tell me what the cord is so I can buy it elsewhere.

Any ideas?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There’s no special VDSL phone cord that I’m aware of.

Some ISPs use shielded cat5e cable

Can you go into specifics? Who is your provider? What equipment do you have? Type of vdsl?

Did they run a dedicated internet line from the box outside to a specific jack in the house?

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
My ISP is Windstream, my modem/router is a Windstream T3200.

I have what they call "Kinetic 200" (https://www.windstream.com/high-speed-internet#/)

Just checked and I'm using a cat6 ethernet cable to be directly connected to the modem with no wifi enabled on the modem/router and the PC as the only thing connected to it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How does the internet signal go into the t3200? Wan port or Adsl/phone port? Describe that connection all the way to the outside box

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Reaching the limit of what I know now, the modem is connected by a phone cord to a phone jack about 4 feet away from it. After that it goes under my house where it could be Narnia for all I know.

When they were installing it they said something about two lines (there are two activity lights on the back of the modem) but there's only one phone jack/phone cord in my entire house.

Guess I'll just have to pay the cost of them coming inside?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not sure how phone service is delivered in the US but do you have a box on the outside of your house where the drop from the pole / feed from underground goes to?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Thanks Ants posted:

Not sure how phone service is delivered in the US but do you have a box on the outside of your house where the drop from the pole / feed from underground goes to?

Depends on how old your neighborhood is. Older homes in the US will have a line run from a pole to the house.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tehran 1979 posted:

When they were installing it they said something about two lines (there are two activity lights on the back of the modem) but there's only one phone jack/phone cord in my entire house.

Guess I'll just have to pay the cost of them coming inside?

Telephone systems can carry 2 lines over 1 cable.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

phosdex posted:

Telephone systems can carry 2 lines over 1 cable.

Frontier used to do this in some areas... they used boned DSL over both pairs in the telephone cable to get higher bandwidth than regular ADSL could offer.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone have experience with the MikroTik RB4011 in a home setting? It looks like it "ticks all the boxes" (as the kids say these days) all-in-one-wise?

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Anyone care to share their thoughts on Google Nest WiFi versus Amazon Eero WiFi?

Eero is significantly cheaper (3 nodes for $189 versus one Nest node for $169), but is one the clear winner in terms of technology?

Also, can someone recommend a cable modem that would work well with either system.

Thanks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don't know about the newer cheaper eero, but the older models were good because they had a dedicated radio backhaul. I wonder if the newer ones have eliminated that and that is why they're cheap now.
e: answer is yes, that is what they've done, so basically they're slower but the coverage is still good, and you can still get the dedicated radio backhaul with the "pro" model.

What kind of speed are we talking about on your cable modem?

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Dogen posted:

What kind of speed are we talking about on your cable modem?

Well I was initially thinking I would get a Gigabit connection. But now I’m wondering whether I should just get my ISP’s 330mbs offering.

I currently have Verizon Fios’ Gigabit service but it’s been unimpressive in the 3+ years I’ve had it. I figured it was just network congestion that was preventing me from getting super high speeds, so when I switch to a Cable internet provider, was thinking 330mb might already be what I’m accustomed to?

Which way would you guys recommend? Not much of a gamer, regular streamer, two phones and laptops constantly connected, plus a number of smart home gadgets (Nest thermostat, Nest protect, Ring camera, Amazon Echos, etc.).

Cost difference is $15 ($35 for 330; $50 for gigabit).

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
What’s the upload difference?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

devmd01 posted:

This is an important question. Cable providers typically do stuff like offer 1 gig down but only 30Mbit up which is pretty lovely (but a byproduct of the restrictions of their delivery method). For just a $15 difference I'd probably be tempted to just pull the trigger on gigabit, but Comcast's price for "gigabit" almost doubled the base rate.

For thread content, I currently have AT&T Fiber set up to bypass the gateway using eap_proxy and my EdgeRouter 4. It's worked great so far, but now I'm wanting to add static IPs and they want to send a technician to do the config. I can patch it back to remove all the hackery, but I'm wondering if anyone else has used statics while bypassing the modem. Theoretically it should be as simple as adding another IP address to the WAN facing interface but who knows. I just don't want to go through all the trouble of setting it back just to find it won't work with the bypass.

I know it's a real specific question but I figured I'd might as well ask.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is there any reason why providers tend to provision significantly lower upload speeds versus download speeds? I mean outside of users typically downloading more than they upload.

I'm on a gigabit fiber plan with a good provider and even with them, am getting 900Mbps down/400 Mbps up.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

devmd01 posted:

Verizon Fios:
Google's speed test showed 55.8 Mbps /62.4 Mbps (download/upload) on WiFi and 542.5/284.2 on a wired connection.
Speedtest.net shows it as 80.0/68.4 on WiFi and 962.4/948.6 on a wired connection.

The internet says that the cable internet provider I'm considering (RCN) caps its gigabit upload at about 50 Mbps.

Price difference between Verizion Fios and RCN is about $40.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tortilla Maker posted:

Verizon Fios:
Google's speed test showed 55.8 Mbps /62.4 Mbps (download/upload) on WiFi and 542.5/284.2 on a wired connection.
Speedtest.net shows it as 80.0/68.4 on WiFi and 962.4/948.6 on a wired connection.

The internet says that the cable internet provider I'm considering (RCN) caps its gigabit upload at about 50 Mbps.

Price difference between Verizion Fios and RCN is about $40.

Is that google's regular speed test or the google fiber speed test?

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

astral posted:

Is that google's regular speed test or the google fiber speed test?

That was the regular speed test.

I just ran their fiber speed test (http://speed.googlefiber.net/) and it's showing 915/415.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I had gigabit for a couple years, and downgraded to 500 down/250 up when I moved. I don’t notice a difference at all to be honest.

400mbit cable down was fine as well, the 20mbit upload sucked though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Is there any reason why providers tend to provision significantly lower upload speeds versus download speeds? I mean outside of users typically downloading more than they upload.

I'm on a gigabit fiber plan with a good provider and even with them, am getting 900Mbps down/400 Mbps up.

It can be a technical limitation depending on delivery medium. At least for cable providers, the communications standard used (called DOCSIS) generally allocates more channels for downstream than it does upstream, hence the huge asymmetry in speeds.

Fiber on the other hand, there is no technical reason for that delivery method to be asymmetrical. Fiber networks are basically Ethernet over fiber; they can easily go 1Gbps both directions.

My fiber provider does it too, but only with their 1Gb package which is 1g/500m. All the other packages are symmetrical.

I would imagine the real reason is cost.. It may be that bandwidth going out of the providers network is more expensive than what comes in. But that is just speculation on my part, I have no idea how bandwidth is priced for ISPs.