Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Polo-Rican posted:

the first order blowing up five planets simultaneously

That happened because Luke wanted to kill Kylo in his sleep. It's the same thing as Anaking trying to prevent the death of his wife and then ending up causing it. Force visions are a trap in the Star Wars universe. Luke failed to see this which resulted with Kylo turning to the dark side. There's nothing that justifies Luke's attempted murder of his nephew. The worst thing that TLJ does is that Luke never accepts his responsibility for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Shaocaholica posted:

Disney's got another minefield to navigate once these actors and production crew start spilling the beans on the ST production trouble once the statute of limitations expires on Disney retribution. But by then Disney should be in a position to release another salvo of SW movies.

The new trilogy kicks off in 2024 with Old Man Wedge saying, "Okay, for real this time, it's time to set things right" and he winks at the camera.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

General Dog posted:

The new trilogy kicks off in 2024 with Old Man Wedge saying, "Okay, for real this time, it's time to set things right" and he winks at the camera.

Is he played by Max von sydow again

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

General Dog posted:

Lol I totally forgot that first line in TFA is so ironic in hindsight considering the majority of the fanbase would rather nuke the ST than the PT.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Chewie gets his medal - thanks JJ.

I met Peter Mahew at Star Wars Celebration.
I paid my £30/£40 for him to sign something, and asked if he would be kind enough to sign a Topps trading card. It was the one showing the ceremony at the end of ANH, and so I asked if he would "right a wrong" and draw on a medal for Chewie.

He went apeshit "I'm not here for personalisations!!! You're lucky I'm even going to sign it!!".

I'm glad that he's not around to see Chewie get his reward on the big screen.
Absolute oval office.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: I can just imagine a crippled Peter Mayhew losing his poo poo over some nerd.
RIP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mastershakeman posted:

The first order is still in charge isn't it
It’s possible, but all of their leaders (presumably) die in the finale

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s possible, but all of their leaders (presumably) die in the finale

Sure but they appear to have an actual command structure so just promote next guy in line

Who the gently caress is even in charge of the rebels, doesn't seem the leaks have cared the tiniest bit about that besides them magically having ships

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

They're probably throwing Rian under the bus because after Knives Out was released and was incredibly loving good, anyone willing to think about it can look at his filmography and realize that TLJ's many flaws were entirely the fault of Disney level fuckery, so they're trying to get out ahead of it to establish no, no, it really was Johnson that hosed everything up, not Us, even though we've spent the last two years defending his decisions and saying we were totally behind everything he did all the way

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I totally see this as Disney deflecting - Knives Out is amazing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I should go see Knives Out.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CaptainN posted:

I paid my £30/£40 for him to sign something, and asked if he would be kind enough to sign a Topps trading card. It was the one showing the ceremony at the end of ANH, and so I asked if he would "right a wrong" and draw on a medal for Chewie.

He went apeshit "I'm not here for personalisations!!! You're lucky I'm even going to sign it!!".

Absolute oval office.

That's no way to treat a fan, however having to be on the convention circuit for years/decades in order to make a living would probably embitter anybody.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I should go see Knives Out.

The pacing is a little strange, but it's fun.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why did you have to reopen this wound

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

cargohills posted:

Rose doesn't believe that because she thinks it's good to fight fascists, and bad to not fight fascists. the resistance (and the republic before it in the prequels, and the rebellion) are not perfect (because they are liberals) but are better than the first order or the empire (who are fascists).

The issue with these takes is that you’re beginning from the conclusion (that DJ is evil) before looking at what the characters are actually doing.

Specifically: how the gently caress does DJ get a crate of gold from his captors? That’s a rhetorical question, because the only sensible explanation is that the baddies are actually extremely benevolent to people who aren’t awful Space Contras.

DJ is not just an ex-con but an escapee - implicitly homeless, and on the run from the New Republic’s police forces - and so the ‘baddies’ give him a huge stack of welfare. He doesn’t even support the First Order’s policies - saying as much directly in front of Phasma and a hundred Stormtroopers. All DJ had to do is renounce any allegiance to the Resistance. And this is despite the fact that they believe him to be a thief.

That’s right: DJ’s excuse for being on Snoke’s ship is that he just wanted to rob the place - so they just forgive him and let him go, with a huge pile of gold!

I call this payment ‘welfare’ because the idea that it’s a reward, or even just a balanced transaction, is absurd. This is pure generousity.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 12, 2019

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

They're probably throwing Rian under the bus because after Knives Out was released and was incredibly loving good, anyone willing to think about it can look at his filmography and realize that TLJ's many flaws were entirely the fault of Disney level fuckery, so they're trying to get out ahead of it to establish no, no, it really was Johnson that hosed everything up, not Us, even though we've spent the last two years defending his decisions and saying we were totally behind everything he did all the way

I think Looper is a dumb movie as well and I think Rian just has trouble with writing sci fi in general. That being said, one of my friends recommended I go see Knives Out. He went in expecting to hate it and said it was quite excellent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mastershakeman posted:

Sure but they appear to have an actual command structure so just promote next guy in line

Who the gently caress is even in charge of the rebels, doesn't seem the leaks have cared the tiniest bit about that besides them magically having ships
Technically it’s Leia

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

cargohills posted:

the resistance is implicated in buying arms (which they'll have to supply somehow) and make some tactical blunders but are otherwise portrayed as good-hearted and genuine. they come across as a hell of a lot better than the corrupt republic,

The republic the resistance has been fighting on behalf of allows child slavery on its gambling planets.

That's a step down from the old corrupt republic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pollyanna posted:

Why would you not plan out a set of movies that you knew would be a trilogy? It’s pretty clear that the films were made piecemeal.

This continues to be a baffling criticism to me. Neither of the prior two Star Wars trilogies were mapped out beforehand.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Timby posted:

This continues to be a baffling criticism to me. Neither of the prior two Star Wars trilogies were mapped out beforehand.

But one guy knew he'd be in charge of where they went rather than it being handed off to random people

The more I think about TLJ the more annoyed I get, here's rhe arcs as I remember them, up to the throne room scene:
Poe is exemplary in combat and gets scolded by two different leaders who are at worst incompetent and at best out of touch, and the rebellion has calcified into "just follow orders"
Finn/rose find a planet full of mega rich that keep slaves and profit from perpetual war between republic/empire
Rey finds the wise old man has little to offer, certainly not hope

All this leads to kylo doing the unexpected and killing snoke and offering a truce.

All 3 plotlines lead to the realization this perpetual war is being fought in service of the greater evil and by truly uniting they can fight against that and get the universe out of its perpetual war

But of course Disney can't have that kind of leap of faith into something completely new
Instead kylo then says also kill your friends, the 8 of them left alive need to die because:

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 11, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Timby posted:

I think Lucas had a good idea where he was heading when he started Phantom Menance.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They also had three year gaps between the movies, and almost certainly a longer planning phase before the first movie of each

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mastershakeman posted:

But one guy knew he'd be in charge of where they went rather than it being handed off to random people

The more I think about TLJ the more annoyed I get, here's rhe arcs as I remember them, up to the throne room scene:
Poe is exemplary in combat and gets scolded by two different leaders who are at worst incompetent and at best out of touch, and the rebellion has calcified into "just follow orders"
Finn/rose find a planet full of mega rich that keep slaves and profit from perpetual war between republic/empire
Rey finds the wise old man has little to offer, certainly not hope

All this leads to kylo doing the unexpected and killing snoke and offering a truce.

All 3 plotlines lead to the realization this perpetual war is being fought in service of the greater evil and by truly uniting they can fight against that and get the universe out of its perpetual war

But of course Disney can't have that kind of leap of faith into something completely new
Instead kylo then says also kill your friends, the 8 of them left alive need to die because:

See the poo poo that it built up was really cool, if they had stuck to the “gently caress it let’s stop this cycle” direction it was going instead of doing a 180 it would have been a lot better received.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Timby posted:

They weren't planned, but they didn't seem antagonistic to each other either. Both the OT and PT built on each other. The ST? It seems Rian spent lots of TLJ saying "nah" to all the stuff JJ was hinting at, and if the leaks are true (they are), JJ is going to do the same right back at TLJ stuff.

You can make it up as you go, but good improv is "yes and" not, "gently caress that poo poo". A big criticism of TLJ is that nothing is achieved and they end the film were they started. Snoke's death could be seen as progress, but it seems uh, he was Palpatine's puppet all along and Sheev is back, so actually nothing happened?

This trilogy is madness.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t really see where TLJ went “no gently caress you” instead of “yes and”, except to itself at the end.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yes, and is stupid as hell anyways

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Rey's parents, Snoke's identity etc.

I'm actually fine with both those, but it seems that JJ is winding them back with ep.9 so lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CaptainN posted:

Absolute oval office.

That rules, sorry

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
so a german burger king is apparently giving episode 9 spoilers to customers? :psyduck:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In the jivjovian present we now occupy, this is what consumers expect nay demand. Canon on the placemats, canon on the soda cups, canon on the wrappers and condiment packets

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 11, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

No Mods No Masters posted:

In the jivjovian present we now occupy, this is what consumers expect nay demand. Canon on the placemats, canon on the soda cups, canon on the wrappers and condiment packets

The true initiate must collect the Reading, Pennsylvania, B. & O., and Short Line Railroad stickers before they have be trusted with the deepest truths.

Those that fail may still find consolation with a free medium fries or small fountain drink.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
These profiles and the cast / crew making GBS threads on the last movie rules so much. It just literally shows you that these people in charge had no idea what the gently caress they were doing from the get go. Like of course JJ Abrams didn’t plan out the rest of the trilogy. It shows lol. Goddamn it’s like I can’t wait to watch this poo poo show movie now

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Horizon Burning posted:

so a german burger king is apparently giving episode 9 spoilers to customers? :psyduck:

They sourced the leaks, so.

garycoleisgod posted:

Rey's parents, Snoke's identity etc.

I'm actually fine with both those, but it seems that JJ is winding them back with ep.9 so lol

All TFA said about Rey’s parents was that they abandoned her, and Snoke’s identity was never really questioned. Hell, he was barely in the loving movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

It's like the Impossible Burger thing where they give you a spoiler that might be real or fake and challenge you to tell the difference.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It's a goddamn shame we wont have any sequence in the movie of Kylo Ren actually *ruling* the galaxy he now basically controls

no fun little sequence where Ren sits on a throne and listens to some sycophantic advisors or maybe some citizens, hat in hands, asking for forgiveness or something. It could be like the revolutionary tribunal scenes in The Dark Knight Rises, i.e. the only good scenes in that movie

No Star Wars movie after the prequels is apparently allowed to just show *life* in this universe, everything's gotta be a damned caper or action scene or whatever

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mike N Eich posted:

It's a goddamn shame we wont have any sequence in the movie of Kylo Ren actually *ruling* the galaxy he now basically controls

no fun little sequence where Ren sits on a throne and listens to some sycophantic advisors or maybe some citizens, hat in hands, asking for forgiveness or something. It could be like the revolutionary tribunal scenes in The Dark Knight Rises, i.e. the only good scenes in that movie

No Star Wars movie after the prequels is apparently allowed to just show *life* in this universe, everything's gotta be a damned caper or action scene or whatever

The reason for this is the exact same reason why 2009+ Star Trek movies are the way they are. There is no money in science fiction, only in action/adventure.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Pollyanna posted:

The reason for this is the exact same reason why 2009+ Star Trek movies are the way they are. There is no money in science fiction, only in action/adventure.
Yeah for sure, Star Trek and the new Jurassic Park movies are like that. Everything is drat frenetic and there is almost no time given to establishing a setting and its characters.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jerkface posted:

the comments from some of the cast upset that they were separated in tlj as if thats rian johnsons fault is making me go crazy.

Jj abrams is the one who put finn in a coma and had rey go find luke by herself!! lol

Rian Johnson asked JJ to end the film like that, so...

haha wait, he only asked for them to switch the droids. for some reason.
"Yes … The big [favor] was, I asked if R2 could come with Rey, and if BB-8 could stay behind with the Resistance,” Johnson says. “Originally it was BB-8 who went with Rey, which makes sense for the story in a way. But I asked, ‘Can you do me this solid and switch the droids?’”

wyoming fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 12, 2019

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
TLJ's characterization of Luke was poor and the mistakes all come down to wanting to make a "modern" Star Wars film.

But making a modern Star Wars film in it's way is a mistake because of how seeped in reference nerd nostalgia all Lucas' films are. From American Grafitti to Indiana Jones to Star Wars, his formula doesn't work if you don't have something to be nostalgic for.

Star Wars could move forward plot wise, and a film with a plot like TLJ could work, only in as much as it references other films. And it really doesn't. That is the big mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

wyoming posted:

Rian Johnson asked JJ to end the film like that, so...

haha wait, he only asked for them to switch the droids. for some reason.
"Yes … The big [favor] was, I asked if R2 could come with Rey, and if BB-8 could stay behind with the Resistance,” Johnson says. “Originally it was BB-8 who went with Rey, which makes sense for the story in a way. But I asked, ‘Can you do me this solid and switch the droids?’”

He also asked for Luke to not be floating rocks.