Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

who found video of me playing eurotruck simulator please don't post that without my permission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Imagined posted:

I saw a horrible OSHA video the other day. It's a security camera from a warehouse of some kind. Guy by himself driving a forklift, trying to load these big things on the truck. The things start to tip over, and he jumps off the forklift to try to steady them. The forklift keeps going, and crushes him against the truck, then drags him across until he falls on the floor. As he's lying there writhing, the forklift somehow keeps going around in a big circle, and runs him over again, and.... keeps going around in a big circle in the middle of the warehouse floor dragging him. Around and around, until it starts leave a big circular dark smear. :gonk: The whole thing isn't explicit, because the camera is so far away you can't see detail, but somehow that makes it worse, because you can just imagine.

What about his shoes

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

stump collector posted:

What about his shoes

You know, I think they stay on, so I'm sure he's fine.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Xposting from the crappy construction thread:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

https://i.imgur.com/F0nq3vn.mp4

Some people should not be allowed to have chainsaws.

I legit thought that the rope was tied around his neck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://i.imgur.com/bctkbNt.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Some lighter OSHA

quote:

Motion sensor light in our office is obscured and at a desk of a coworker who works a different shift. This is our high tech solution to keep the lights on until maintenance gets around to changing it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/2QkhgvA.gifv

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oddhair posted:

Yes, taint, armpits, etc sometimes escape though I wouldn't call it unscathed. I almost had to go to Shriner's when I was 10 due to taking apart C or D sized model rocket engines and burning the contents. Having the top surface of my hand and arm and the right side of my face debrided like at home or at my family physician was apparently miles better than dealing with the hardened pros at Shriners' where they will hold you and scrub and not mind your cries. I still can't imagine, thank goodness.

Back when she was a kid, my mom borrowed her grandma's bike that was way too big for her and took a dive (in shorts and a summer shirt) on a gravel road. Her one side was covered in a huge scrape with gravel pretty deeply embedded in it.

She limped home crying up a storm, and when she got home, her grandma — who was a nurse — took a look at it, grabbed a nail brush and said "will you, or shall I?"

When my mom protested at the very idea and wanted to go to the hospital, the simple reply was "at the hospital, they will just hold you down and do the same thing. So will you, or shall I?"

Don't crash your bikes on gravel roads, kids.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 12, 2019

coke
Jul 12, 2009

slinkimalinki posted:

Currently it's the news of people with burns to 95 percent of their bodies and the need to import 1.2 million cubic centimetres of skin for grafts that is freaking me out. Somehow I thought a volcanic eruption would be more of an "either you're dead or you're fine" situation.

The tour company had a policy that they didn't need to consult anyone if the alert level was two, only if it went up to three. Two is the highest it goes before an eruption. Three is an eruption.

Also freaked out by the helicopter pilots who keep pushing to go back in to retrieve the corpses despite ongoing volcanic activity.

edit: maybe square centimetres. Whatever, a shitload of skin.

A good overall timeline of what happened here

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118082454/anatomy-of-a-deadly-eruption-and-the-quest-to-save-survivors

and a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Zc3Fyv8SY

The whole thing is so idiotic since the island is somehow privately owned, the owner refused to sell it to the government, and the tour company has the ultimate decision on who to allow onto the island etc and they didn't bother to shut it down when the GNS raised the alert level to 2 more than a week ago.

Compare this to another excellent volcanic hiking area in NZ that is the Tongariro National park where it's directly managed by the Department of Conservation. They shut the whole thing down as soon as it's raised to level two

quote:

At Tongariro and Ngauruhoe, if the risk begins escalating from zero, signs are put up and meetings are held with iwi, groups and GNS; if it rises to 2, the popular Tongariro Alpine Crossing is closed.

"While the department has made significant attempts to reduce the risks to visitors in the park from volcanic activity and natural hazards there will always be some residual risk that it is not possible to remove," Coutts said.

And another volcanic area around mount Ruapehu also has similar rules

quote:

On Ruapehu, set measures include recommending people not to enter the crater basin when the alert level is at 1, and closing access to the summit hazard zone altogether when the level rises to 2.

"The department warns visitors not to spend a lot of time on the summit plateau in any circumstances and raises the warnings depending on VAL level and our own analysis of the likelihood of eruptions based on lake temperatures."
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12293369

The whole thing seems to be avoidable.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Russian Navy's carrier Admiral Kuznetsov is on fire at dock in Murmansk. Reportedly the fire started from welding and spread to diesel fuel in power plant 1. One person is missing and six have been injured.

https://twitter.com/bazabazon/status/1205054965699547137

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1205051668158697472

Kuznetsov has been at the dock for two years now after it returned from a tour in Syria. The previous accident was in October 2018 when Russia's only floating dry dock big enough to handle the ship sank and one of the cranes fell on Kuznetsov's deck. They are currently merging and enlarging two drydocks to finish the repairs by 2022.

:ussr:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 12, 2019

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Marty...slow the gently caress down
https://i.imgur.com/PLaoyqw.mp4

"Where we're going, we don't need roads"

the mortuary

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chinstrap inadequate. No attempt made to secure.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nenonen posted:

Kuznetsov has been at the dock for two years now after it returned from a tour in Syria. The previous accident was in October 2018 when Russia's only floating dry dock big enough to handle the ship sank and one of the cranes fell on Kuznetsov's deck. They are currently merging and enlarging two drydocks to finish the repairs by 2022.

"What's as big as a house, burns 20 liters of fuel every hour, puts out a poo poo load of smoke and noise, and cuts an apple in three pieces?"

"A Soviet machine made to cut apples into FOUR pieces!"

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Vanagoon posted:

Is there some piece of paper I can sign that says "If I end up like that just shoot me full of enough Fentanyl to send me off in a beautiful dream"?

Because gently caress that, all of it.

Advance Health Directive and power of attorney. Tell the person you give power of attorney to what you want and make your desires clear in the directive.

If both my folks get injured, I have power of attorney. It's fairly easy to do. If it's just my mom injured, it's my dad and vice versa. Spouses have implied power of attorney but you should still have an Advance Directive on hand.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

KozmoNaut posted:

"What's as big as a house, burns 20 liters of fuel every hour, puts out a poo poo load of smoke and noise, and cuts an apple in three pieces?"

"A Soviet machine made to cut apples into FOUR pieces!"

LOL

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mostlygray posted:

If both my folks get injured, I have power of attorney. It's fairly easy to do. If it's just my mom injured, it's my dad and vice versa. Spouses have implied power of attorney but you should still have an Advance Directive on hand.

Signing those papers for my folks was a bit overwhelming.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OYw-m74jn0&t=24s

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Russian Navy's carrier Admiral Kuznetsov is on fire at dock in Murmansk. Reportedly the fire started from welding and spread to diesel fuel in power plant 1. One person is missing and six have been injured.

at least this one doesn't have reactors

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

... That we know of

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/xKAY4s2.mp4

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

drat, six more weeks of winter.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Is this how they make more arborists

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/freep/status/1205165934203330560

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Uthor posted:

Signing those papers for my folks was a bit overwhelming.

I’m going to sign those papers in about 15 minutes. Been weighing heavy on my mind since my mom brought it up. She finally decided to do it after tearing both rotator cuffs and having to have a couple vertebrate fused due to an injury at work after someone put a 50+ pound box on a shelf and asked her to get it without telling her about the weight as a joke. She grabbed it, fell, and then went to the hospital.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Or 106 Cassandra O'Briens.

:golfclap:

I appreciated this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I’m going to sign those papers in about 15 minutes. Been weighing heavy on my mind since my mom brought it up. She finally decided to do it after tearing both rotator cuffs and having to have a couple vertebrate fused due to an injury at work after someone put a 50+ pound box on a shelf and asked her to get it without telling her about the weight as a joke. She grabbed it, fell, and then went to the hospital.

Haha, hilarious!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The best jokes are ones where someone is permanently injured as a result :hmbol:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Those are car hauler railcars, the hazmat in question is unlikely to be more serious than lead acid batteries, motor oil, or possibly li-ion packs, all in the format of "installed into a complete and functional motor vehicle".

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Nenonen posted:

doesn't look much different from it in regular operation.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Why?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mostlygray posted:

Advance Health Directive and power of attorney. Tell the person you give power of attorney to what you want and make your desires clear in the directive.

Yeah, I had this set up when I went in for open heart 4 months ago. Stopping the heart and lungs for 2-3 hours is not without its risks.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Balancing the ladder on a medicine ball is the bit that makes it unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fO1zuBCMQ0

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

shame on an IGA posted:

Those are car hauler railcars, the hazmat in question is unlikely to be more serious than lead acid batteries, motor oil, or possibly li-ion packs, all in the format of "installed into a complete and functional motor vehicle".

How likely is the 'functional' bit at this time?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I like to think that the dude was somewhere on the other side and slipped in to a large opening and slid down inside.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mostlygray posted:

My folks have had me signed on for this since I turned 18, and vice versa. It's a bit dark, but also super practical.

Could be way worse. I had a friend who had AIDS and possibly Lyme Disease, along with some severe mental health issues that had suddenly and acutely worsened. I was over visiting once when he pulled out a binder, handed it to his daughter, and told her it was his plans for his funeral, including musical selections, speeches for people to give, etc. Like, a full wedding style party plan...for his funeral.

His daughter was a freshman in college.

I dunno what they actually ended up doing after he killed himself. :smith: I had to hear about it from a friend of a friend who saw a Facebook message about him.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

DetCord: Apply Directly To The Forehead

SimonCat posted:

#TBT The DH-101 was a nuclear flash protective helmet assembly used during the 60s by US Navy as an experimental nuclear flash protective helmet. The special visor, automatically darkened after a nuclear flash, operates by ink material sprayed on the inner surface of the two visor lenses. The ink was sprayed by an explosive cord that lies at the sensor at the top of the visor between the two lenses when receiving a trigger pulse initiated from the sensor at the top of the helmet through an electronic box carried in the pilot's pocket. The pilots had to carry extra lenses to replace the old one after experiencing a "black out".

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

How likely is the 'functional' bit at this time?

They strap them down pretty good but they'll 100% all be scrapped rather than risk the liability of selling a flipped over trainwreck of a car. (Insert lazy big three joke here hyuk hyuk)

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
So, a real life version of the Peril Sensitive Glasses from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

quote:

“Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses have been specially designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. At the first hint of trouble, they turn totally black and thus prevent you from seeing anything that might alarm you.”

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
The RAF gave their nuclear bomber pilots a lead eye patch so they had one good eye for the return home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

The RAF gave their nuclear bomber pilots a lead eye patch so they had one good eye for the return home.

Searching this led me to images of business casual guys in cybersoldier helmets