Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I met a traveller from an ancient forum who said

I came across a great standing post made of stone, and on it these words are written:

Soricidus posted:

gently caress, I wrote my own json output code because how hard could it be

gonna fix it with regex, what could possibly go wrong

nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level gigabytes of text stretch far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Soricidus posted:

gently caress, I wrote my own json output code because how hard could it be I’m a blithering idiot, and I hosed up quoting keys, and now there’s a handful of lines buried in these gigabytes of data that won’t deserialize

just run it through eval()

(hope you don’t have any line or paragraph separators)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Soricidus posted:

gently caress, I wrote my own json output code because how hard could it be I’m a blithering idiot, and I hosed up quoting keys, and now there’s a handful of lines buried in these gigabytes of data that won’t deserialize

if it's only a handful identify them and fix them manually

it's only downhill from here, friend

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

fix your serializer and run it again

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

gonadic io posted:

if it's only a handful identify them and fix them manually

it's only downhill from here, friend

this is what I actually did but regex was my first idea (and funnier)

Nomnom Cookie posted:

fix your serializer and run it again

this would have been the correct answer but the program that generated the json takes like a day to parse all the input data and I needed it to be ready yesterday

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 10, 2019

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MononcQc posted:

I just flat out don't remember having a thing go well. What the gently caress is nice tooling supposed to be?

this is why you earn a salary

i am now yelling at everyone about improving tooling and, if not possible, about writing docs should that nice tooling not exist

people are happy in this weird wizard knowledge bullshit world (which is why this thread also exists) and i hate it

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 10, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i proposed that stem-the-compiler-warning-bleeding project to boss yesterday and was told no because a major feature originally estimated for next october is now due in march

cool. cool. guess those 236 compiler warnings will be 300 by the time i can be rejected again

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

just gotta hide a warning fix or two in each commit

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

i proposed that stem-the-compiler-warning-bleeding project to boss yesterday and was told no because a major feature originally estimated for next october is now due in march

cool. cool. guess those 236 compiler warnings will be 300 by the time i can be rejected again

your boss dgaf and will never approve your pet project

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

do it anyway and don’t ask for permission this time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

just thought it'd be nice, is all. a recent late-stage bug was from code emitting a build warning no one saw, mired as it was in the logs; wasted a day instead of half an hour

guess it's not my job to care about quality, though. my pay doesn't change.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Been implementing some networking stuff at work for a phone app feature. I've got classes to parse/build ip4 and udp headers, but that was the easy part and now I have to do most of a tcp stack implementation. This is gonna suck

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

and ciaphas was enlightened

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

and ciaphas was enlightened

that's only part one. part two is working out how not to be annoyed, angry, or otherwise upset when things go awry in ways that reflect badly on me (due to e.g. ignoring warnings and creating a nasty regression months later)

(part three is mentally reconciling part one with how much software dev sucks rear end - arguably entirely because of that conclusion!)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 11, 2019

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

could try something like fixing five warnings each day, maybe first thing in the morning or as a lil wind down before the end of the day. you’ll make it through in no time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

suppose it's as good as anything else for the "gently caress i've been staring at this bug too long, need to do something else" role

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Ciaphas posted:

just thought it'd be nice, is all. a recent late-stage bug was from code emitting a build warning no one saw, mired as it was in the logs; wasted a day instead of half an hour

alternatively, it is your job to care about quality because the thing the people above you care about are the second-order effects of quality. your boss doesn't give a gently caress about compiler warnings, but your boss might give a gently caress about the problems caused by not fixing them. if they're slowing down your ability to work on new feature development, then fixing warnings in the area that you're touching is an obvious first step in adding a new enhancement. if you just had a bug related to a warning that went ignored, then obviously part of fixing that bug would be to address that warning everywhere else it shows up too to make sure you fully fixed the bug and didn't just stop it from manifesting in one place.

getting time allocated to do things like fix compiler warnings is about making a case for why doing so has actual business benefits bigger than the other things you could be working on rather than just "i don't like that this number is big and would be happier if it was small". managers can't make that evaluation, but convincing them that you can and that they can trust your evaluation will do good things for your career.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I fixed ~500 warnings during the last two months without a specific mandate to go fix bugs, I just roll it under "continuous improvements to the codebase that are required to keep adding features".

It helps that I generally only spend "downtime" on them, e.g. when I am waiting on benchmarks for a new PR to finish.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MononcQc posted:

It's all over various shapes of "download this visual studio code plugin, and press the following buttons" so it works kind of okay until you maybe want to do a thing that is not in the tutorial and then who the gently caress knows.
this

redleader posted:

lotta docs always seem to miss out on the tiny little detail of "how the gently caress am i actually supposed to run this in production"
also this

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
cant imagine trying to build something using a microsoft toolchain in a CI/CD system

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Soricidus posted:

well, you're certainly posting in the correct thread

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Tbf vscode is an ide that understands the concept of version controlled configuration better than most. So you can do things like recommend extensions and also version control the config for said extensions

The config files are all hand edited json but hey you can't have everything

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

The config files are all hand edited json
That hasn't been true for a really long time. You can edit them by hand but there's also a gui for configuring the settings for both vs code itself and extensions.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

cant imagine trying to build something using a microsoft toolchain in a CI/CD system

just use the microsoft CI/CD system, the whole stack screams for "use everything developed by Microsoft from the computer up to the cloud components" and any place in the production chain where you want to use something different is going to work shoddily and any support you'll get from them will scream for "use the microsoft thing they provide".

If you're a big enough business with a big enough partnership, you can impact the microsoft product timelines and get their sales engineers to write a solution using the microsoft stack for your problem. The rest of your developers can then be employed into clicking various Azure dashboards all day instead.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
well i also cant imagine ever using a microsoft product in general

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
azure devops CICD sucks cause it uses procedural yaml based configuration.

everyone is so against declarative build systems which is so loving aggravating.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
lmao at procedural yaml config

what a poo poo show

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
out of the box current Msbuild can sort of (but not really) do declarative builds but azure devops doesn't use that directly. it uses it via the yaml build config which makes it such a pain in the rear end.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

well i also cant imagine ever using a microsoft product in general

outlook.com is good

Shaggar posted:

procedural yaml based configuration

this is the opposite of good

in conclusion, microsoft is a land of contrasts

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ms exchange is a bag of incompatible poo poo-piss (so what MononcQc said pretty much)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

about 2 years ago we had a ticket to change the compiler to treat warnings as errors and also fix all existing warnings and honestly it was a really really good loving idea

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Azure DevOps is bad until you have to teamcity

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Ciaphas posted:

Just do it! I spent the better part of a day last week changing all of our imports in a TypeScript project so that we have no use of tree shaking. And removing fixing up dependencies to remove cycles and stuff.
Because jest, the test framework, doesn't tree shake and it was way to slow.

Went from 120s+ to run the all the tests to about 50s. Getting the first test results after 5s instead of 30s. And being able to run a single test suite in less than 10s.

I still think it's a bit slow, but holy poo poo this made a huge impact for me.

I didn't ask permission, it was needful so I did it.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

MononcQc posted:

just use the microsoft CI/CD system, the whole stack screams for "use everything developed by Microsoft from the computer up to the cloud components" and any place in the production chain where you want to use something different is going to work shoddily and any support you'll get from them will scream for "use the microsoft thing they provide".

If you're a big enough business with a big enough partnership, you can impact the microsoft product timelines and get their sales engineers to write a solution using the microsoft stack for your problem. The rest of your developers can then be employed into clicking various Azure dashboards all day instead.

this is totally how they do things though. if you stick within their ecosystem, the tools all work very well and mostly painlessly with each other

if you're half in their ecosystem, then the friction from using non-ms tooling is supposed to gradually push you towards adopting more of their poo poo*

if you're outside their ecosystem, they don't care because you're not a customer

* and some of their poo poo is actually really good

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

i run mostly netcore apps on azure

i use "dotnet build" in my dockerfiles and i use azure to provision each resource group with a ssh-enabled vm scale set, a blob storage, and a pgsql database. that's pretty much the extent of my reliance on ms stuff

for everything else - from testing to ci/cd to ssl termination, logging, oauth - i use open source non-ms stuff, gitlab, elk, keycloak, you name it

hell, i wouldn't even be using the azure managed sql databases - I'd have just deployed postgres + pgbouncer + a backup cronjob inside the swarm cluster - if it weren't for the fact that postgres doesn't work with nfs storage (technically it can, but you need to disable so many features that you lose acid)

(notable exception: we're starting to work on some mobile apps, and we're likely to go with azure app center since it apparently provides a lot of integrations that are a pain to handle on one's own)

the upside is that I'm currently working on another app which I'm doing in kotlin/springboot instead of netcore for various reasons, and it integrates flawlessly into our existing infrastructure

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 12, 2019

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

dotnet core on aws is pretty easy and seamless, including serverless apps

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

you know what, I have decided I'm OK with mixed line endings in a single project. hell, in a single file.

join me; set yourself free.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

NihilCredo posted:

i run mostly netcore apps on azure

i use "dotnet build" in my dockerfiles and i use azure to provision each resource group with a ssh-enabled vm scale set, a blob storage, and a pgsql database. that's pretty much the extent of my reliance on ms stuff

for everything else - from testing to ci/cd to ssl termination, logging, oauth - i use open source non-ms stuff, gitlab, elk, keycloak, you name it

hell, i wouldn't even be using the azure managed sql databases - I'd have just deployed postgres + pgbouncer + a backup cronjob inside the swarm cluster - if it weren't for the fact that postgres doesn't work with nfs storage (technically it can, but you need to disable so many features that you lose acid)

(notable exception: we're starting to work on some mobile apps, and we're likely to go with azure app center since it apparently provides a lot of integrations that are a pain to handle on one's own)

the upside is that I'm currently working on another app which I'm doing in kotlin/springboot instead of netcore for various reasons, and it integrates flawlessly into our existing infrastructure

well yeah, if you've got your poo poo together and use things like 'more than one resource group' and put things into 'containers' and know how to make a 'vm' then it won't be as painful

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

zokie posted:

Just do it! I spent the better part of a day last week changing all of our imports in a TypeScript project so that we have no use of tree shaking. And removing fixing up dependencies to remove cycles and stuff.
Because jest, the test framework, doesn't tree shake and it was way to slow.

Went from 120s+ to run the all the tests to about 50s. Getting the first test results after 5s instead of 30s. And being able to run a single test suite in less than 10s.

I still think it's a bit slow, but holy poo poo this made a huge impact for me.

I didn't ask permission, it was needful so I did it.

can you elaborate on what you did here? I've been poking at tree shaking in our build but I don't think I understand what you did. how did avoiding tree shaking make it faster? did you just split stuff into smaller files to compile less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
How can you tell someone does too much webshit: treeshaking.