Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If they sell Korean soju there it will be really easy to become an alcoholic because it's super cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Went to a soju place with some Singaporean friends the night we finished grad school. Never again, man.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is the only valid reaction to soju. A terrible drink.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

Somek, however, is entirely different.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd rather drink soju than baijiu.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've just bought a block of S&B Golden Curry Hot roux.
Going to make it next week following the package instructions and have my first Japanese curry.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Helith posted:

I've just bought a block of S&B Golden Curry Hot roux.
Going to make it next week following the package instructions and have my first Japanese curry.

Have fun!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tips for your first curry:

Japanese people generally like the curry sweet. I don't recommend adding apples/honey/whatever to it if the package suggests that, but up to you.

Use dashi instead of water. Dashi powder is perfectly fine.

If it tastes kind of flat, try adding soy sauce and a bit of rice vinegar. You can go hog wild with customization, coffee and dark chocolate are common additions. Lately I've been adding some yuzu kosho and a bit of dark miso at the end.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

try adding soy sauce and a bit of rice vinegar.

ponzu

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You can do that but then you can't adjust the soy/acid components independently.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
True but ponzu tastes better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah you can use a citrus instead of the vinegar. I've been adding yuzu kosho so often that I get enough citrusy-ness from that, but still need a bit more acid. Plus I've been using this brown Mizkan rice vinegar that's fuckin' delicious on its own, so the combo with the yuzu is great.

Highly recommended.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

toplitzin posted:

I'd rather drink soju than baijiu.

For a while I kinda liked baijiu.

I keep a bottle in the house for the very rare occasion I want to go down memory lane.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So I picked up some pork belly from Costco but did not realize it was pre sliced. Is there a Japanese style preparation anyone can recommend?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

So I picked up some pork belly from Costco but did not realize it was pre sliced. Is there a Japanese style preparation anyone can recommend?

How thick is it sliced?

Pork belly is one of the more common cuts in Asian food generally, but for belly I'd really recommend going Chinese or Korean. Kakuni is good if it's relatively thickly sliced. Shogayaki can use belly, or yakisoba.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

How thick is it sliced?

Pork belly is one of the more common cuts in Asian food generally, but for belly I'd really recommend going Chinese or Korean. Kakuni is good if it's relatively thickly sliced. Shogayaki can use belly, or yakisoba.

Think thick bacon slices. Happy to try a Chinese or Korean application if you think that's better. Any recommendations?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Think thick bacon slices. Happy to try a Chinese or Korean application if you think that's better. Any recommendations?

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/dweji-bulgogi-korean-spicy-pork-bbq/

This you can do with any cut of pork. Add in some finely chopped kimchi.

https://blog.themalamarket.com/chengdu-challenge-8-twice-cooked-pork-hui-guo-rou/

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/samgyupsal-gui-grilled-pork-belly-and/

Those are my three favorite things to do to pork belly.

https://thewoksoflife.com/dry-pot-cauliflower/

Not pork focused but an important component. Don't add bell pepper, I don't know what the gently caress that's doing in here. Do add Sichuan pepper and fresh chilies of medium heat, whatever's edible by your standards. Also add the cauliflower first to a completely dry wok and cook out the moisture, keep tossing it until it's browned before you continue.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thanks for the tips about the curry, much appreciated.
It doesn’t mention adding apples or honey, which is good as I don’t t have a sweet palate so wouldn’t go for that in general. I’ll definitely use dashi stock as I have some in the pantry and that sounds like a excellent addition. I also have soy and rice vinegar on hand too.
I’ll take a look in my local Japanese shop for yuzu juice and the Mizkan brown rice vinegar, the white rice vinegar I have is Mizkan but I’ll have to look and see if they carry the brown.
I’m going to make it on Tuesday I think.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Helith posted:

Thanks for the tips about the curry, much appreciated.
It doesn’t mention adding apples or honey, which is good as I don’t t have a sweet palate so wouldn’t go for that in general. I’ll definitely use dashi stock as I have some in the pantry and that sounds like a excellent addition. I also have soy and rice vinegar on hand too.
I’ll take a look in my local Japanese shop for yuzu juice and the Mizkan brown rice vinegar, the white rice vinegar I have is Mizkan but I’ll have to look and see if they carry the brown.
I’m going to make it on Tuesday I think.

This guy lived in Japan for decades and the recipe is very good. And he has good tips about microwaving the carots and potatoes and just adding them near the end. When i see Japanaese people eating curry they use the poo poo out of that red pickle thing and I think it's revoltingly sweet so I skip that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvyeJTRK_CA

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 8, 2019

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

vulturesrow posted:

Stick it on okonomiyaki maybe.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

kirtar posted:

Stick it on okonomiyaki maybe.

Oh I like that idea. How would you prepare it?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
This may be a longshot question, and what I'm asking about may not even be actual Japanese food, but our local teppanyaki place (Tennessee, so high chance of not authentic) has this hot pepper paste they serve and I have not been able to find what the hell it is. It's not super hot at all, has a very thick consistency, and it's a tad gritty. I thought it might be Korean gochujang, but it's either not that or it's a different gochujang than the one I tried. It tastes different, less sweet, and it's thicker than the gochujang.

Any ideas? I would put this stuff on drat near any food item. It really doesn't seem like the type of place that would make their own, so I feel like I should be able to find it or find out what it is.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 9, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yuzu kosho is the only type of a native hot pepper paste I can think of in Japanese cuisine. If it's citrusy and a bit bitter it's probably that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Look Sir Droids posted:

Any ideas? I would put this stuff on drat near any food item. It really doesn't seem like the type of place that would make their own, so I feel like I should be able to find it or find out what it is.

My best idea would be to ask the restaurant. I doubt they would protect the identity of the condiment as a trade secret!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

Yuzu kosho is the only type of a native hot pepper paste I can think of in Japanese cuisine. If it's citrusy and a bit bitter it's probably that.

It's not and I looked that up. The paste I'm looking for is like dark crimson red.

Subjunctive posted:

My best idea would be to ask the restaurant. I doubt they would protect the identity of the condiment as a trade secret!

Yeah, that's my next move if nobody here knows. Maybe they'll sell me a jar of it. Take my money!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, ask. Japan has hot pepper pastes from other parts of Asia but it's not exactly a chili eating society, there's not much native. Very thick, a little gritty, not super hot does make me think gochujang, it comes in a range of sweetnesses and Japanese eat a lot of Korean/Korean-derived food. Yakiniku is very popular Korean BBQ with Japanese characteristics and I can see that being on a teppanyaki menu.

Doubanjiang is another possibility, though what you describe sounds like a weird Japanese derivative and not the real thing. You don't really eat doubanjiang on its own and it is super chunky, you'd see whole pieces of fava beans in that.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
There is red yuzu kosho but asking seems like the easiest way to be sure. There are a lot of Korean run Japanese restaurants in some areas so not unsual sometimes to see some different takes on sauces.

biggfoo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 9, 2019

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

vulturesrow posted:

Oh I like that idea. How would you prepare it?

I use Adam Liaw's recipe. You can omit the tenkasu.

https://youtu.be/r2Eed0Z2dgM

His YouTube channel is also very good and he has lots of Japanese home cooking videos and recently posted a heap of in depth ramen videos. He was an Australian lawyer working in Japan then won MasterChef and he is my go to for Japanese cooking.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Big Willy Style posted:

I use Adam Liaw's recipe. You can omit the tenkasu.

https://youtu.be/r2Eed0Z2dgM

His YouTube channel is also very good and he has lots of Japanese home cooking videos and recently posted a heap of in depth ramen videos. He was an Australian lawyer working in Japan then won MasterChef and he is my go to for Japanese cooking.

I didn't know that about him but I subscribe to him even though I will never follow most of his recipes (I'm too lazy to make ramen at home when there are multiple good places a 10 minute walk away). I am currently watching him make an home made higher end tonkatsu sauce.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Doubanjiang is another possibility, though what you describe sounds like a weird Japanese derivative and not the real thing. You don't really eat doubanjiang on its own and it is super chunky, you'd see whole pieces of fava beans in that.
It's probably tobandjan. You can get Japanese tobandjan without the whole beans now. It's usually mung beans though.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Adam is fantastic, I have a couple of his cook books and they are great, well written, easy to follow recipes from all over Asia. They've ended up as my go to books for dinner a lot of nights.
I didn't know he had a youtube channel, I've subscribed too.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Helith posted:

Adam is fantastic, I have a couple of his cook books and they are great, well written, easy to follow recipes from all over Asia. They've ended up as my go to books for dinner a lot of nights.
I didn't know he had a youtube channel, I've subscribed too.

Hah I'm actually the opposite. Have watched a fair amount of his YouTube vids but didn't know he had any books (and wasn't sure how legit he was). Any one in particular you recommend?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

vulturesrow posted:

Hah I'm actually the opposite. Have watched a fair amount of his YouTube vids but didn't know he had any books (and wasn't sure how legit he was). Any one in particular you recommend?

I have Asian After Work and Adam’s Big Pot which are both pretty old now. I use the latter more. The recipes in both are pan Asian not just Japanese. He has newer books so check those out too, but I’ve stuck with his older ones because I have so many favourite recipes in them.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Helith posted:

I have Asian After Work and Adam’s Big Pot which are both pretty old now. I use the latter more. The recipes in both are pan Asian not just Japanese. He has newer books so check those out too, but I’ve stuck with his older ones because I have so many favourite recipes in them.

His books aren't super easy to come by apparently.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You can get the ebooks on Amazon if that is an option for you.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

vulturesrow posted:

His books aren't super easy to come by apparently.

I'm guessing you aren't Aussie then as they were readily available here though it's easier to find his newer ones. Makes sense that they'd be harder to come by in other countries. Amazon is probably a good call.

Helith fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 12, 2019

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I finally made the curry tonight, it was good! Only added using dashi instead of plain water as I wanted to see what it tasted like straight out the box before adding more stuff. I used chicken and added carrot, capsicum and green beans. I stir fried everything separately before adding it all back in and adding the stock. On reflection the green beans didn’t need to go until the end as they got too soft but the chicken and other veg were really nice.
Despite it being HOT version we could have had it far spicier, but Japanese food isn’t really about spice heat so that spice level works to add a little interest without dominating the other flavours.
Will cook again!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I made Japanese curry for the first time last night and it turned out insanely good. I used pork spareribs braised in 50/50 chicken stock/dashi, carrots onions and peas, and a box of roux. I added cocoa powder, Kashmiri chili flakes, molasses, Worcestershire, bulldog sauce, fish sauce, dark soy sauce, Secret Aardvark hot sauce, Korean chili flakes, Knorr miso umami liquid seasoning, and some rice vinegar to cut through the richness a bit.

I was going to use pork shoulder but the spareribs were on sale and after they were tender I pulled the bones out and cut them into big chunks. Really nice change from shoulder in a braise.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I made okonomiyaki for the first time yesterday using the Adam Liaw recipe posted above, slightly altered by adding strips of bacon to one side. Very easy to do. I think I made mine a little smaller than standard and I was full after eating 3/4 of it. My local chain grocery store surprisingly had squid, so I used that. Thought it was appropriate. I would definitely do things a bit differently next time:

-That sauce is good poo poo. I would use even more of it next time.
-Liaw's recipe called for corn flour and I fudged it with corn meal. The pancake part was a bit heavy, so I'll go with the corn flour next time or just do all regular flour.
-The squid was good in it. I parboiled before putting it in the batter. It wasn't chewy, but I think I'd prefer the suggested shrimp and/or pork better. I'll definitely make this again, so I'll try whatever.
-I didn't notice the bonito flakes at all. Probably won't bother with them next time.
-I used water instead of stock. Stock would probably have made the pancake part more flavorful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I'm going to be making some curry, any tweaks or modifications I should make to the recipe on the box(Golden Curry to be specific)?