Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

recall that christian leaders across the country are tripping all over their own dicks to proclaim donald trump as the next coming of jesus, the most holy man to ever hold the executive, truly the king of the jews etc.

that's a thing that's happening in real life. right now

the only reason #wokebrands is even a thing is because the minimum baseline level of public approval of homosexuality finally tipped over the point of being a positive ROI for marketing dollars back in 2015 when obama made his half-hearted "okay, fine, homosexuals can get legally married i guess" gesture and then bitched out joe biden for forcing his hand on the issue

i can 100% believe brands would love to be able to explicitly advertise in all of the various evangelist events and concerts and etc. and it's only contemporary public sentiment that's giving them any hesitation at all

i dunno, it's weirder for me that someone actually thought that was an unrealistic portrayal. i saw those scenes on the show (having never read the comic beforehand) and completely accepted that it was a plausible thing that makes sense

Vought also controls a monopoly on super powers, so they can market a superhero to every demographic - even both pro and anti-lgbt groups - because nobody can do anything about it otherwise. It's not like LIBTARDS can just boycott superheros or whatever, because the conditions that demand their necessity will always exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Vought also controls a monopoly on super powers, so they can market a superhero to every demographic - even both pro and anti-lgbt groups - because nobody can do anything about it otherwise. It's not like LIBTARDS can just boycott superheros or whatever, because the conditions that demand their necessity will always exist.

that's actually a good point in the context of the narrative. since (mid-season 1 spoiler) all super heroes are manufactured it'd almost be weirder if there was an extremely prominent cultural group, religious belief, sexual orientation or ethnicity that didn't get at least a few "superhuman" representatives, or else people might start asking why nobody from X group ever develops super powers. basically it is in their best interest to have super humans from every walk of life, to maintain the illusion of authenticity.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Plus in real life Disney claims to be pro-lgbtq and have that big dumb lgbtq event at Disney land - but when it comes to getting some actual gay or queer representation in the "woke" period of new Disney movies it never actually manifests. They won't actually pull the trigger on it because they still want the right wing Christian money.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
china

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Has the Boys alienated all the normies it brought in with the relentless lurid sexual assault and weepy backstory, or did they smooth all that stuff out enough for TV.

I mean herogasm isn't till season 3 and there's still the whole butchers wife was raped by a superhero thing but overall a lot of it got smoothed out or streamlined

I need to watch the season 2 trailer

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think my favorite thing about the boys TV show is that as someone who's read the comic a dozen times they've managed to adapt and update the themes perfectly for 2019 (vought being basically Disney but trying to get into drone strikes instead of the other way around is a big one) but also they've twisted the plot around enough that I genuinely don't know where they're going in terms of the actual story

Like there were bits of the comic that I was explaining to my partner because I was like alright well they're definitely not doing THAT now so it's not a spoiler

And we get to the end and they're like ok so how did this happen in the comic and I just kinda stared at the tv

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ok but only the webcomic, or the 6 issues of 100 that Moore wrote himself

The webcomic is the one where a dude fucks a dolphins blowhole right

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

General Dog posted:

The only problem I had with The Boys was the idea that the company that handles the supers would let them anywhere near an evangelist who touts gay conversion therapy in 2019, when they're supposed to be these antiseptic, meticulously focus grouped corporate products. That feels like a an artifact of older source material. They should be #woke brands. If anything, one of them is getting sent to Pride.

edit: was typing up the above while this was posted

In the comic the religion stuff works better because you have longer to work with starlight's long crisis of faith and to explain that the Evangelical appearances are carefully workshopped and focused group to offend literally nobody meanwhile they are in fact assigning some capes to be The Gay One or whatever and do that kind of pandering also

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The webcomic is the one where a dude fucks a dolphins blowhole right

Yeah the opening panel is just some Scottish Crossed raping a dolphin and hoping his parents could see him now.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean herogasm isn't till season 3 and there's still the whole butchers wife was raped by a superhero thing but overall a lot of it got smoothed out or streamlined

I need to watch the season 2 trailer

I think they made it clear by the end of season 1 that Butcher's wife cucked him with Homelander, and Butcher was so full of himself that he never thought his wife could leave him and just assumed Homelander must've raped and had her disappeared. At least the impression I got was that it was a starstruck fling that resulted in an accidental superpregnancy, that Vought had to cover up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah the opening panel is just some Scottish Crossed raping a dolphin and hoping his parents could see him now.

I think they made it clear by the end of season 1 that Butcher's wife cucked him with Homelander, and Butcher was so full of himself that he never thought his wife could leave him and just assumed Homelander must've raped and had her disappeared. At least the impression I got was that it was a starstruck fling that resulted in an accidental superpregnancy, that Vought had to cover up.

My personal theory big spoilers don't read if you haven't read the comic dead serious here is that they're still going to do the black noir is a clone reveal and use that to do a riff on Batman vs Superman when homelander finds out the kid isn't his

Also the crossed web comic is by si Spurrier, one of the two best writers out of the UK in the last decade, which is why it's one of the few good bits

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

General Dog posted:

No, but if we're running with the metaphor that these superheroes are meticulously managed brands run by a major corporation, it doesn't make sense that they're letting them anywhere near that rodeo, much less sending them against their will. How would Disney like, say, Brie Larson appearing at a Focus on the Family event?

Imo it's slightly different because brie Larson is an actress playing a superhero and not someone who has literally sold the rights to their life to Disney to be managed by Disney forever

General Dog posted:

Is that something out of the comic? I haven't read it.

The me too bit is just for the show, it's one of the updates that works a lot better than the original

Originally they go to revamp her costume and origin again and they decide to make her dark and gritty by having her new backstory be rape survivor and she melts the gently caress down on them and it's a v blatant call-out of comics being edgy without doing anything with their transgressive material (which you can argue about the boys itself being edgy for the sake of it but things like starlight's assault are core parts of the narrative and there's development and poo poo it's not just bad thing happened lol rip)

Because in 2007 or whatever we hadn't hit me too for that to be a cultural reference while every comics reader knows a book or two or three that does gross edgy poo poo for the sake of it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My personal theory big spoilers don't read if you haven't read the comic dead serious here is that they're still going to do the black noir is a clone reveal and use that to do a riff on Batman vs Superman when homelander finds out the kid isn't his

Also the crossed web comic is by si Spurrier, one of the two best writers out of the UK in the last decade, which is why it's one of the few good bits

Yeah I can't even talk about why the webcomic is so good, because the twist is what Crossed 100 builds off of, and Moore's 100 is phenomenal and should never be spoiled.3

The rest of 100 though? Oof, yikes. Well they tried.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fingers crossed the show does an Epstein storyline about the g-men, the x-men analog who were kidnapped by professor x as children and dosed with V to give them superpowers and also he molested them and vought let it happen because of how much money he made them

Also there's approximately as many teams/books/characters as the actual X-Men

It's still happening and nobody is stopping it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I recently bumble dicked my way into reading some of Alan Moore's earliest comics in 2000ad and it's really funny reading these short (but good) tales from the crypt rear end twist ending stories and going and in like six years he's writing watchmen

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Fingers crossed the show does an Epstein storyline about the g-men, the x-men analog who were kidnapped by professor x as children and dosed with V to give them superpowers and also he molested them and vought let it happen because of how much money he made them

Also there's approximately as many teams/books/characters as the actual X-Men

It's still happening and nobody is stopping it

You could easily gently caress up adapting that, but also it's not exactly inappropriate for a post-Epstein world.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The book handles it surprisingly well by making it more about the cycle of abuse and the indifference of power as long as it makes money for them than about the actual abuse

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I recently bumble dicked my way into reading some of Alan Moore's earliest comics in 2000ad and it's really funny reading these short (but good) tales from the crypt rear end twist ending stories and going and in like six years he's writing watchmen

Doesn't Watchmen have an episode of The Outer Limits in the background which is basically the same twist as the plot?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't Watchmen have an episode of The Outer Limits in the background which is basically the same twist as the plot?

Honestly I havent read watchmen since college and I will probably never revisit it because Moore is not someone I particularly enjoy so vOv

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bro Dad posted:

Tbf they do pivot to that later by monetizing starlight's metoo moment but yeah that episode is jarringly out of date

The bit where she realizes that the company is going to make money off it either way is great

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The only thing the show changed that makes perfect sense and yet I like the book better is that originally the plane bit, instead of being the Malaysian air flight was literally 9/11. Not a 9/11 analog it was literally 9/11 and two of the planes were shot down but the last was the one the seven boarded and it crashed into the Brooklyn bridge instead of the towers because they're morons

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, Moore in an interview basically said the episode came on when he was trying to think of an ending and he kinda went "hey that's cool I'll do that"

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the saxon chronicles/ the last kingdom have really sad endings when you think about it

the nation of england is founded

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I've been rewatching 30 Rock and I can't help but wonder how it'd be received if it came out today. While a lot of the jokes are quite obviously problematic in today's climate (e.g. a surprising amount of blackface), it does hit enough lib buttons that it would have it's defenders.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Percelus posted:

the saxon chronicles/ the last kingdom have really sad endings when you think about it

the nation of england is founded

eh they didn't really get to gently caress things up that bad for a while afaik

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

StashAugustine posted:

if the bowlcut was really the style back then among saxons then aesthetically it was also a shitshow but havent they been killing themselves and their neighbors endlessly since that period

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MizPiz posted:

I've been rewatching 30 Rock and I can't help but wonder how it'd be received if it came out today. While a lot of the jokes are quite obviously problematic in today's climate (e.g. a surprising amount of blackface), it does hit enough lib buttons that it would have it's defenders.

jack donahey is probably the most explicit recent media example of a sympathetic republican capitalist and thats not really an archetype that works anymore in the age of trump has anyone else even tried since 11/9

key word there being republican donahey explicitly describes himself this way and a lot of his jokes are political references

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

soon it will be illegal to dislike marvel movies

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1205495356798189568

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
gotta hand it to iger bribing scorcese into making a movie is a much more profitable move than bribing the golden globes for avengers nominations

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Now everybody's gonna be making GBS threads on Marvel movies!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I love living in a world where Disney is doing fake news just to hype up the next mass market piece of poo poo.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
so i just watched spider man far from home and a few reactions first i didnt realize that marvel movies were now so self aware that the intrinsically idiotic implausible plot points of past films are now being used as justifications for future plots also being intrinsically idiotic and implausible setting off sherlock vibes there but at least far from home isnt really a mystery so im not left yelling at the tv like a crazy person because the writers are expecting us to arbitrarily guess which improbable clues are supposed to be taken seriously and which ones are just the villain playing fourth dimensional chess

internally i cant help but find it hilarious that literally everything mysterio says about tony stark being a capricious rear end in a top hat who rips people off for no reason and arbitrarily decides to give a godlike superweapon to a gullible teenager is completely on point and true so the movie immediately makes him double down on doing pointlessly evil deeds just to keep us from thinking that maybe he has a point

and about that godlike superweapon cant help but be reminded how in that aloha movie that was discussed earlier in the thread the rich dude putting weapons in space is the bad guy and his whole plan hinged on keeping the actual purpose of the launch a secret but apparently in the marvel universe this poo poo has been so normalized that no one even bothers to ask why tony stark built a weapon that could destroy the planet they just trust that theres no way this could possibly go horribly wrong even though the plot of the movie is quite literally this is how this goes horribly wrong

also the post credits scene was funny as all hell because everybody was a secret skrull is like the kind of detail that sounds clever in the abstract but means absolutely nothing in terms of the story it explains why nick fury seems so incompetent and why that one chick clumsily demanded that peter park get naked without locking the door first but the closest it gets to affecting the overall narrative arc is by undermining it since after making mysterio a bad guy for telling outrageous lies for questionable moral ends nick fury is once again a good guy for telling outrageous lies for questionable totally justified moral ends

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
anyway before i forget which jerk mod changed the thread title to be more d and d like i dont mind changing the title to be funnier or more descriptive or to reflect a particularly amusing post but what was point of adding all those capital letters im trying to keep my gimmick running here

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The preview clip of the new Star Wars is a perfect encapsulation of how Whedonism is ruining media because for a brief second when the stormtroopers started using their jetpacks I felt like oh this is a cool scene with an interesting setup & execution that could actually be exciting. Then they undercut it by doing the "they can fly now?" joke. Being self-aware and ironically disengaged just makes it impossible for a work to have any sincerity because it just reduces it to a massive in-joke. Running things on that kind of meta-level for something that's supposed to be a self contained action adventure just ends up being cynical.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

they're monotheists, hosed from the start

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The preview clip of the new Star Wars is a perfect encapsulation of how Whedonism is ruining media because for a brief second when the stormtroopers started using their jetpacks I felt like oh this is a cool scene with an interesting setup & execution that could actually be exciting. Then they undercut it by doing the "they can fly now?" joke. Being self-aware and ironically disengaged just makes it impossible for a work to have any sincerity because it just reduces it to a massive in-joke. Running things on that kind of meta-level for something that's supposed to be a self contained action adventure just ends up being cynical.

jet troopers have existed for years so its not even a clever wink wink nod thing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

jet troopers have existed for years so its not even a clever wink wink nod thing

Yeah it's just being cute for its own sake so the viewer can feel they're smart for getting the joke. It has no relation to how people would act in real life or in-universe and it's not a comedy, so the second you become aware of the artificiality of it you get sucked right out of suspended disbelief.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There was a whole thing with a character who has a show now that he wears a jetpack

It's like people in the real world being surprised when soldiers are riding in helicopters

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/1205829095524851712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's amazing how bad the Mandalorian is despite all the hype about the production and the acting!