Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I haven't seriously played or developed for cataclysm since I hurt myself in late June. My last contribution was a major UPS power fix, but I may need to mess around with Cata again. I believe they've put a feature freeze in place for 0.E as well. (Source)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

i can't find a single thing wrong with this take tbh

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the term is "meese"

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Motherfucker posted:

I mean peak Cataclysm to me is mentally picturing a squid man in a trucker hat, AK-47 wrapped in his left tentacle and the reigns of six grizzly bears in the other as he rides atop a chariot that is literally just a flotilla of shopping trolleys lazily lashed together with cargo-straps. Hes wearing an American flag across his shoulders and firing blindly into a croud of the undead.

:same:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Extra arms mutations would be far more fun if you could wield individual weapons in each.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Peak cataclysm is a machine that appears to be a jawa-sand crawler made out of mashed together tanks on a bagger 288 chassis rolling up. A comically normal, human sized ramp opening up and a twelve foot tall creature shambling out. A trenchcoat with kevlar inserts brushes past filthy socks and well worn sandles as he reaches into his sheath and draws forth a di-coated daikatana, reducing a jabberwock to red confetti in a flurry. You're pretty sure this guy has no dick, just a wire that simulates sexual arousal when he performs a perfect sword combo. "GREETINGS M'LADY" he barks in a voice like a smoker's replacement voicebox as pockey spills from the kevlar face-plate of his my little pony painted riot helmet.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It would be trivial to mod making other animals tamable, really. And it's just a JSON change to make them rideable as well.

As for zombies, it wouldn't be a terrible suggestion to make Zlaves yolkable creatures. I think it may have been suggested before, though.

Also you can't be 12 feet tall and use a vehicle unless you take a roof off, so a roofless crawler. (Actually I'm not sure how huge huge is supposed to be in game, I just know that the change to let them ride in roofless vehicles is pretty funny, like the hulk driving a power wheels jeep.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I like how tiny claims I'm half the size I used to be but the zombified children I'm eating in one sitting still have clothes that are too huge to wear.

Also when did they start specifying the breeds of random dogs.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 21, 2019

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I dunno, a year ago?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay my mutant ate most of a school while working on some doctorates in the library and got fat because I guess Simplified Nutrition doesn't turn that off. Can I turn on my metabolic interchange and internal UPS and watch the pounds disappear into a smart phone or do I have to just stay peckish but not hungry or something or should I even worry about it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Clearly you now need to wear a kilt and play bagpipes. Do you know how I got this fat? I ate a (school full of zombie) baby(ies)!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Just... stop eating for a while.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Just... stop eating for a while.

That's dull and I was afraid that was the answer.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

lol i just realized that the debug menu text info got changed to this legendary tweet

https://twitter.com/Fetusberry/status/1114364382606053378

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Roobanguy posted:

lol i just realized that the debug menu text info got changed to this legendary tweet

https://twitter.com/Fetusberry/status/1114364382606053378

There was an issue where that text had zero line breaks in it, causing the debug menu to become unacceptably wide. Thats what I remember about that text in cata the most.

Blame Kevin for that one.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Every now and then I see the Cata thread on the front page, go 'Ohh, I forgot that game, I should play that again', read the thread, and proceed to go 'No, no I shouldn't."

Just the fact that the ranged attack roll math involves loving arcseconds says everything you need to know about the cruft in this game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to do a let's play of Cataclysm but I can't decide a few things, Screenshot or Recording, and what set of mods / tilesets to enable to give this game the best look. What is your favorite TileSets and mods?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I want to do a let's play of Cataclysm but I can't decide a few things, Screenshot or Recording, and what set of mods / tilesets to enable to give this game the best look. What is your favorite TileSets and mods?

I’d say do screenshots with gifs for a turn based rogue like would be best.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Helicopter pilot/special forces is the incredible OP. You need to either tear pants ot get to a house, but you spawn with a kukri and the ability to use it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Bionic assassin for me. It's just so fun to start out with the Monomolecular blade and ninjutsu through the close quarters battle CBM.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Question about city sizes.

I recently started playing, and have the default settings on world gen. All my local towns seem to have a few dozen houses, and don't feel very city like.

Are there larger cities outside my map range (still on foot atm)? Or do I need to up the city size number to get a nice big city?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bug Squash posted:

Question about city sizes.

I recently started playing, and have the default settings on world gen. All my local towns seem to have a few dozen houses, and don't feel very city like.

Are there larger cities outside my map range (still on foot atm)? Or do I need to up the city size number to get a nice big city?
Default sizes should be fine. Which version of the game are you playing?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Default sizes should be fine. Which version of the game are you playing?

0.D

I dunno, just doesn't really feel like a city to me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bug Squash posted:

0.D

I dunno, just doesn't really feel like a city to me.
0.D is from about 9 months ago. You might want to try grabbing a more recent experimental build. 0.C was the only stable for years, and that meant either playing with an experimental build or a stable one that didn't have such advanced features as "running".

Newer CDDA maps should have cities with denser residences on the outskirts, a more gridlike structure, and shops at the center. Older maps are messy little sprawls with mostly whatever thrown in. I think the newer mapgen came out after 0.D but I'm not sure off the top of my head. Though, either way, there are plenty of small towns and areas that are little more than highway rest stop junctions, so not everything is going to be the size of a small city.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

0.D is from about 9 months ago. You might want to try grabbing a more recent experimental build. 0.C was the only stable for years, and that meant either playing with an experimental build or a stable one that didn't have such advanced features as "running".

Newer CDDA maps should have cities with denser residences on the outskirts, a more gridlike structure, and shops at the center. Older maps are messy little sprawls with mostly whatever thrown in. I think the newer mapgen came out after 0.D but I'm not sure off the top of my head. Though, either way, there are plenty of small towns and areas that are little more than highway rest stop junctions, so not everything is going to be the size of a small city.

This turned out to be good advice. After a zombie scientist dropped a manhack that minced my exhausted rear end, I downloaded the newest build and it's light and day. Such bigger variety of buildings and items. Evacuee shelter is stocked up and the log cabin I raided was filled to the brim compaired to houses in the build I was playing. NPC asked me to get him and inhaler, and gave me a vape to help (you probably shouldn't be using that anyway buddy).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bug Squash posted:

light and day.
autocorrect strikes again in a hilarious way

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

reignonyourparade posted:

Bionic assassin for me. It's just so fun to start out with the Monomolecular blade and ninjutsu through the close quarters battle CBM.

I just wish the Monoblade wasn't so rare. I've got a character that has been built up from a butler and has the ability to phase through walls, control time, and throw out lightning with massive dexterity but hasn't yet found a blade to perfect the build :sigh:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Rynoto posted:

I just wish the Monoblade wasn't so rare. I've got a character that has been built up from a butler and has the ability to phase through walls, control time, and throw out lightning with massive dexterity but hasn't yet found a blade to perfect the build :sigh:

I've seen that anime

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

I'm getting back into this game, and I've been playing around with the Magiclysm mod expansion, which is a lot of fun.

I can't think of any other game that lets me be a traveling wizard, making it across the country in a beat up Hippie Van. I've managed to live for a few days, too!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I've never hosed around with Magiclysm, how do you like it versus 0.D+ trunk?

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I've never hosed around with Magiclysm, how do you like it versus 0.D+ trunk?

I'm not very good at CDDA really, but the flavor and implementation of Magiclysm is great! It seems very useful and not at all OP, so I'd recommend getting the Experimental and trying it out.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Yaknow what would loving rule? Trains. Trains that use the vehical system and move around the underground metro tunnels on tracks... Metro meets cataclysm.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Motherfucker posted:

Yaknow what would loving rule? Trains. Trains that use the vehical system and move around the underground metro tunnels on tracks... Metro meets cataclysm.
Game desperately needs some kind of fast travel system, especially since the fact items don't respawn means you'll have to go further and further out (or stay nomadic) through your survival career. Being able to activate train stations like waypoints would be a huge step in the right direction. Hell, maybe you could even build/repair a heavy platform carriage to add to the train, similar to how you build up settlements, and use that to bring a vehicle with you when you fast travel. Load it up on the train and off you go.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
get roided out and haul a flatcar with a harness

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CDDA has a fast travel system. Unlock is behind a toolbox. :clint:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

goatsestretchgoals posted:

CDDA has a fast travel system. Unlock is behind a toolbox. :clint:
Is autodrive working reliably yet?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Is autodrive working reliably yet?

Pretty well, yeah. And if it can't find a safe route it just ends the autodrive. Bolting some tank armour and heavy duty frames to the front is still recommended.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Though as I recall Vorm found out it WILL path you within range of a roadblock turret. Whoops.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

This is a little late, but the feature freeze for the 0.E release is in effect. In theory, this means that the next stable release is imminent (assuming someone can figure out the roadblock bugs, anyhow)

Recent changes have made the early game far easier for city slickers like me:
  • The evac shelters actually have some amount of food, water, and medicine now. The food sucks, but it's filling, and the medicine means that getting a deep bite isn't the end of your run on day 1.
  • Most houses now have a sensible amount of loot that implies that people lived there and left in a hurry. Fridges are pretty full of food, most houses have a set of basic tools like a hammer and screwdriver, and dressers are full of basic clothing that you'd expect. A single house has enough loot to keep you alive for week 1, and that's just the stuff that isn't nailed down. The ones that still don't have this are actively being worked and updated to fit the new quantity of loot, with the expectations that you'll have to compete with NPCs to gather loot pretty soon.
  • Libraries have been given the same treatment. If you can find a library, your skillbook needs are covered for the immediate future.
  • A few more options have been added for low end spears. The original "knife taped to a stick" can be upgraded with a drilling tool to something that doesn't break if you so much as wave it in the breeze.
  • Monster evolution changes mean that some of the nastier special zombies (acidic, shocker, brutes, smoke, etc.) don't show up for a few in-game weeks.
  • Default start date has been changed so that the cataclysm occurs in late spring. This means that you won't die of thirst because the water you collect is all frozen all the time.

Other high impact feature changes since 0.D:
  • You can autowalk through overmap terrain, and regarding dangerous terrain just last week, they added the ability to mark any tile with a note as "dangerous terrain" that should not be pathed through, complete with an optional no-go radius for each tile.
  • The autopilot feature even works for cars... sort of. It will drive on roads with reasonable ability, and it doesn't crash into things because it diverts control back to you if there's an obstacle, which sucks but at least the autopilot knows that it can't handle that.
  • Speaking of which, the map can now be set to take notes on map extras like chopper crashes and supply drops automatically. This makes finding things that your character notices but you don't (like helicopter wrecks and radioactive craters) easier.
  • You can crouch to hide and break line of sight if you're behind furniture.
  • Being high up vastly increases the distance you can see. This means that radio towers are a good find. Not only will you occasionally find a sniper perch up there, but you can explore the surrounding area in an instant.
  • You can set up base camps and assign NPCs to various tasks like farming, gathering firewood, etc. You can automate away the tedium of feeding everyone too, and even talk to NPCs with two-way radios if you have them (which you will, because they're quite common)

I've gotten back into playing this quite a bit in the past week, and I'm having a blast.

Looking to the future, after the feature freeze is over:

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Inglonias posted:

This is a little late, but the feature freeze for the 0.E release is in effect. In theory, this means that the next stable release is imminent (assuming someone can figure out the roadblock bugs, anyhow)

Recent changes have made the early game far easier for city slickers like me:
  • The evac shelters actually have some amount of food, water, and medicine now. The food sucks, but it's filling, and the medicine means that getting a deep bite isn't the end of your run on day 1.
  • Most houses now have a sensible amount of loot that implies that people lived there and left in a hurry. Fridges are pretty full of food, most houses have a set of basic tools like a hammer and screwdriver, and dressers are full of basic clothing that you'd expect. A single house has enough loot to keep you alive for week 1, and that's just the stuff that isn't nailed down. The ones that still don't have this are actively being worked and updated to fit the new quantity of loot, with the expectations that you'll have to compete with NPCs to gather loot pretty soon.
  • Libraries have been given the same treatment. If you can find a library, your skillbook needs are covered for the immediate future.
  • A few more options have been added for low end spears. The original "knife taped to a stick" can be upgraded with a drilling tool to something that doesn't break if you so much as wave it in the breeze.
  • Monster evolution changes mean that some of the nastier special zombies (acidic, shocker, brutes, smoke, etc.) don't show up for a few in-game weeks.
  • Default start date has been changed so that the cataclysm occurs in late spring. This means that you won't die of thirst because the water you collect is all frozen all the time.

Other high impact feature changes since 0.D:
  • You can autowalk through overmap terrain, and regarding dangerous terrain just last week, they added the ability to mark any tile with a note as "dangerous terrain" that should not be pathed through, complete with an optional no-go radius for each tile.
  • The autopilot feature even works for cars... sort of. It will drive on roads with reasonable ability, and it doesn't crash into things because it diverts control back to you if there's an obstacle, which sucks but at least the autopilot knows that it can't handle that.
  • Speaking of which, the map can now be set to take notes on map extras like chopper crashes and supply drops automatically. This makes finding things that your character notices but you don't (like helicopter wrecks and radioactive craters) easier.
  • You can crouch to hide and break line of sight if you're behind furniture.
  • Being high up vastly increases the distance you can see. This means that radio towers are a good find. Not only will you occasionally find a sniper perch up there, but you can explore the surrounding area in an instant.
  • You can set up base camps and assign NPCs to various tasks like farming, gathering firewood, etc. You can automate away the tedium of feeding everyone too, and even talk to NPCs with two-way radios if you have them (which you will, because they're quite common)

I've gotten back into playing this quite a bit in the past week, and I'm having a blast.

Looking to the future, after the feature freeze is over:

wow all that sounds unimaginably helpful to the game-feel.