Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Styles Bitchley posted:

May not apply here just keep in mind if the torque spec is for a dry bolt, putting anti-seize will change the force required to get to tension and can result in overtightening.

Yeah that's probably a real concern for stuff like the axle bolt, which has pre-applied loctite and I won't be putting anti-seize on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah it's probably a nylon though and probably glass reinforced to some extent. I don't really think that it's the point of failure to be concerned about, I'm more worried about the whole thing rocking over.

It's definitely the point of failure if you are using it to brute force apart a fixture. :cheeky:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Installed all the stuff, no issues, I had a bit of a hard time trying to torque the bolt over 180 degrees after I got it to 133lb/ft and maybe fell short about 20-40 degrees but I just couldn't get it to turn any more even with my 215lb rear end basically bouncing on the end of a 3ft breaker bar. The bolt I got isn't OEM and didn't have loctite and I'm wondering if maybe it's not designed to stretch like the OEM one (or not as much?). I have an extra dust cap so I'll pop it off in a month or so and see if I can tighten it any more or if it's rotated at all. All the ABS and traction control stuff is now functioning normally again and I learned my lesson about using a crowbar to remove rotors.

In other Audi news a family member just received a new e-tron last week and swung by today to take me for a spin and check it out. I can't believe how fast it is for a car that weighs 5xxxlbs and generally it seems pretty nice inside. I think he had a Q3 or Q5 before and it's essentially similar just a bit newer tech.

I didn't mention it but the screen tech seemed disappointing for a vehicle that expensive. There was stutter when swiping to new screens and the overall resolution seemed low to me (a video game nerd).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Keep in mind that in car stuff is heavily certified and tested and developed years in advance - it has to deal with V&H and temperature extremes, as well as last significantly longer than most consumer grade electronics, so it will never look as good or be as modern.

A guy in my office's parking lot has an e-tron and it looks pretty dope. I prefer it to my friend's Model 3 from interior and exterior appearance perspective, but I ought to considering it costs about 50% more.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

An acquaintance I know drives an e-tron and it is a pretty impressive car, especially in that light blue color.

But then I looked up what one costs :captainpop:

It's nice but goddamn I don't know about that price.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I mean, wouldn't the direct comparison between the e-tron and a Tesla be the Model X, which costs way more?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, the Model X is like $10k more....

And Audi probably has their body panel gap ducks in a row more than Tesla

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The battery system on the Audi is actually actively watercooled as well which is pretty neat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

The battery system on the Audi is actually actively watercooled as well which is pretty neat.

Tesla does this too, actually, and they heat the batteries.

Apparently Audi had a recall over the cooling system leaking and causing shorts and possibly fire.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently Audi had a recall over the cooling system leaking and causing shorts and possibly fire.

Ah well there you go. I spent most of the test ride in the e-tron with my eyes closed because the guy driving it was trying to show off the emergency braking system and I was expecting a huge crash.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CommieGIR posted:

This is the most Audi thing.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Audi does anyone have or have spent some time in a ~2016 S1? Good to drive? Reliable for an Audi?

Looks like a fun little got hatch. Only thing of concern is the possibly tiny boot/trunk.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I mean, wouldn't the direct comparison between the e-tron and a Tesla be the Model X, which costs way more?

the e-tron is closer in size to the model x but it's still 5" shorter, and a couple inches narrower

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
So I got something in the mail about a class action lawsuit on VW waterpumps. Mine was under warranty and hopefully replaced with the last revision that finally fixed the issue but if I was one of those people who went through 3 pumps and other poo poo I'd be looking at it.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Styles Bitchley posted:

So I got something in the mail about a class action lawsuit on VW waterpumps. Mine was under warranty and hopefully replaced with the last revision that finally fixed the issue but if I was one of those people who went through 3 pumps and other poo poo I'd be looking at it.

Got it too. Too bad I’m already over 100k miles.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So my 07 GTI has started making a ticking/slight tapping sound when fully warm that sounds like maybe a lifter or something. It has 125k kms on it (77k miles) and all the maintenance is up to date. Is this common? Any suggestions?

I know the injectors are noisy on these cars but I've never heard it quite like this.

e: Timing belt/waterpump/etc done just before 100k kms. I replaced the cam follower for the fuel pump around the same time.

e2: Alright seems like it's likely the timing chain/tensioner (at the back of the cams). Going to order those parts (without the adjuster) and do some deep soul searching to see if I feel like I'm up for the job.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 17, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
In the right weather you can pull off a little bit of a powerslide in a FWD wagon!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there a better place to get G13 coolant than the dealership?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Beautiful pic! Is that the Passat wagon?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yep! Last of the B6es. Currently at 185k miles, hoping to get two more years out of it. I just rebuilt the front end from a deer impact:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902350

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Hey Thread,

Talk me out of a 2015-2016 S4. They seem downright reasonable price wise, which would offset potentially higher running costs vs. a $40k brand new car. I've gotten a ride along in one at AutoX and thought it was a blast, going to drive one this weekend. I'm nervous for maintenance on a highline German car. Will I be crying in broke if I go with that year S4?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

MunchE posted:

Hey Thread,

Talk me out of a 2015-2016 S4. They seem downright reasonable price wise, which would offset potentially higher running costs vs. a $40k brand new car. I've gotten a ride along in one at AutoX and thought it was a blast, going to drive one this weekend. I'm nervous for maintenance on a highline German car. Will I be crying in broke if I go with that year S4?

Do it.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I have a 2013 B8.5 S4 and I love it because its pretty and it makes the 'reeeeeee' supercharger noise. Mine had horrible electrical problems but that was an exceedingly rare case (no one had ever heard of the problem before at like any mechanic I took it to). Plus it's fixed now so all is well.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

flightless greeb posted:

horrible electrical problems

flightless greeb posted:

exceedingly rare case
:thunk:

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

It's rare in the B8 generation!!!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MunchE posted:

Hey Thread,

I had a 2013 B8.5 S4. It was a fantastic car. I traded it in for a B9 S5 Sportback which is a great car but there are things about the S4 I miss. It definitely was a the sportier of the two. The B9 generation is geared more towards luxury.

The supercharged 3.0 is a wonderful engine. There’s a huge community that supports it and it’s really easy to get extra power from. If you get the DSG, it matches really well with the engine and there are transmission tunes for it too.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

You can also get the B8.5 in a manual tho which is your last drat chance to do so (curse you audi!!)

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

flightless greeb posted:

You can also get the B8.5 in a manual tho which is your last drat chance to do so (curse you audi!!)

I've driven manuals for my last 5 cars so I'd prefer to keep that streak alive while I can. We just feel like there's a catch I'm missing

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I mean I'd say try to get a lower mileage one if you can and make sure you get a really good PPI abbas budget for the German level maintenance, then what's the worst that could happen!

I will say the clutch in the S4 is fairly vague and mine is currently doing a thing where I have to press pretty hard on the pedal to get the car to start. Probably gonna be an expensive fix but that's life baby. Mine is at about 80k now, bought it at 60k.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Yesterday I bought a 2017 A8 with just under 40k miles on the clock.

What could possibly go wrong?

6 months to financial desolation, or maybe a year if I'm lucky.

EDIT - Picture

Sitting behind my wifes' A4 Cabrio.

biglads fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 20, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

So my 07 GTI has started making a ticking/slight tapping sound when fully warm that sounds like maybe a lifter or something. It has 125k kms on it (77k miles) and all the maintenance is up to date. Is this common? Any suggestions?

I know the injectors are noisy on these cars but I've never heard it quite like this.

e: Timing belt/waterpump/etc done just before 100k kms. I replaced the cam follower for the fuel pump around the same time.

e2: Alright seems like it's likely the timing chain/tensioner (at the back of the cams). Going to order those parts (without the adjuster) and do some deep soul searching to see if I feel like I'm up for the job.

Does that have the High Pressure pump at the back of the head? Check the cam runner on that, those wear and will destroy things.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MunchE posted:

I've driven manuals for my last 5 cars so I'd prefer to keep that streak alive while I can. We just feel like there's a catch I'm missing

Like most Audis it's nose heavy so it'll understeer if you push it in corners. Audi tries to mitigate this with the sport differential which sends more power to the outside wheel when cornering. It makes a really big difference if you're pushing the car hard.

I know Audi changed how the sport differential was packaged with other options over the course of the B8.5 so make sure you review the list of options the car has and that it includes the sport differential.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Does that have the High Pressure pump at the back of the head? Check the cam runner on that, those wear and will destroy things.

I replaced the HPFP cap thing only about 20k kms ago, maybe less. The previous one had very little wear on it and was at least 70k kms old, more likely the original so about 100k kms.

So I've driven the car 5-6 times since I heard that very loud tapping/ticking sound and it hasn't come back. All my stuff to replace the camshaft chain/tensioner on my FSI motor has arrived and I'm just going to sit on it for now. I've seen the N80 valve thing online in videos and it may have been that, although I don't know if that issue comes and goes.

When I run the car and put my hand on the n80 valve I certainly can feel the solenoid ticking at what feels like 1:1 with engine RPM, which is probably it working as intended. I'm interested if anyone has any feedback.

I use Torque and a bluetooth OBD2 thing. Is there a better app that can pull the data that a vagcom could pull in terms of faults?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Try obd11 or the carista app. I think obd11 needs its own bluetooth dongle but carista works with generic ones.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Try obd11 or the carista app. I think obd11 needs its own bluetooth dongle but carista works with generic ones.

Thank you I'll check it out.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
I don’t know if anyone can help, even my Audi pals don’t know the goddamn answer to the following question.

I’m looking real hard at a C7.5 A6 with a 3.0T (2016-2018)

I know half a dozen people who had the C7 (2012-2015) and every single one of them eventually had the famous motor mount / shaky engine issues.

Did Audi address this issue with the revised 3.0T in the C7.5? And an even better question... is the newer 3.0T plagued with any new and exciting issues the older generation engine didn’t have?

People know EVERYTHING about the first generation 3.0T because they put one in like 10 different cars, and it seems like the revised 3.0T existed for such a short window of time before being replaced no one knows / cares about them.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nermal. posted:

I’m looking real hard at a C7.5 A6 with a 3.0T (2016-2018)

I know half a dozen people who had the C7 (2012-2015) and every single one of them eventually had the famous motor mount / shaky engine issues.

Looks like it was updated? So.. maybe?

C7 (2013) A6 engine mount PN: 4G0199381LF
C7.5 (2017) A6 engine mount PN: 4G0199381NS

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ugh, I think my Mk7 R is leaking coolant. Topped up twice with distilled water, still drops to below "Min" after a few city trips.

Good thing it's already going in for its 40k service on Monday.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

Ugh, I think my Mk7 R is leaking coolant. Topped up twice with distilled water, still drops to below "Min" after a few city trips.

Good thing it's already going in for its 40k service on Monday.

I had to top off coolant in both my mk6 and mk7 every now and then. I never saw any indication that anything was leaking either. I imagine the plastic panel under the engine bay catches most of that poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fknlo posted:

I had to top off coolant in both my mk6 and mk7 every now and then. I never saw any indication that anything was leaking either. I imagine the plastic panel under the engine bay catches most of that poo poo though.

Yeah, I know it consumes a little, but I've had to top off twice in 3 days, so I figured I'd have them look at it. It was below Min this morning, i topped it up, and haven't driven it since then. Gonna head out in a minute, see where the level is at, and take it for a spin.