Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Metaline posted:

Those Brussels sprouts chips are loving good, actually. I grabbed some with Roast Turkey ships at a British shop last year for laughs and was surprised by the flavour. Tasted like real roasted sprouts, dang.

Roasted brussel sprouts are amazing and I think most people's opinion on them would change if they had them that way. Most people seem to have grown up on sulfur tasting boiled to poo poo sprouts (me included) and gently caress those suck rear end.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Metaline posted:

Those Brussels sprouts chips are loving good, actually. I grabbed some with Roast Turkey ships at a British shop last year for laughs and was surprised by the flavour. Tasted like real roasted sprouts, dang.

I dunno, while a ringing endorsement, that's not exactly selling me on it. Speaking of questionable chips though

Anyways, I don't know where else to put this, because it isn't exactly afp but it is pretty funny

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1205087701562585088

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I see nothing wrong with this

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Croatoan posted:

Roasted brussel sprouts are amazing and I think most people's opinion on them would change if they had them that way. Most people seem to have grown up on sulfur tasting boiled to poo poo sprouts (me included) and gently caress those suck rear end.

Halve or quarter the sprouts then fry them with lardons or caraway seeds. Parboil them before frying if you prefer but be very careful not to overdo it. Overboiled sprouts are foul but that goes for any overboiled veg.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It turns out it's really hard to gently caress up roasting a plant but really easy to gently caress up boiling one.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Ebola Dog posted:

Overboiled sprouts are foul but that goes for any overboiled veg.

Huh, maybe that's why I couldn't eat them as a kid. Those things would make me physically gag, like to the extent that I ended up choking at dinner one time.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Noslo posted:

Huh, maybe that's why I couldn't eat them as a kid. Those things would make me physically gag, like to the extent that I ended up choking at dinner one time.

Mmmmm mushy and taste like sulfur yum!

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Brussels sprouts are amazing and I didn't discover them until I was an adult because my parents didn't like them growing up, so we never cooked them when I was growing up. Roasted is best, of course, but even over-boiled, they can be pureed into a nice soup if doctored up well. Touch of sour cream or yogurt and well-seasoned, you have a nice winter soup. I've never met a cruciferous vegetable that I didn't love, sulfurous or not. I guess I love foods that taste and smell like both dirt and farts, apparently.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

My dislike of sprouts comes from every time I had them as a kid, biting into one and having them pop like an eyeball in your mouth.

The mushiness and flavor weren't great either, but it's the explosion of gooey sprout juice in your mouth that really put me off

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

My dislike of sprouts comes from every time I had them as a kid, biting into one and having them pop like an eyeball in your mouth.

The mushiness and flavor weren't great either, but it's the explosion of gooey sprout juice in your mouth that really put me off

brussel sprouts are poo poo-tier veggies because even when they're prepared at their best (roasted, salt & pepper, drizzled with olive oil) there's still a tastier alternative involving literally any other vegetable.

:colbert:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

explosion of gooey sprout juice in your mouth

Thread title?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is not how Brussels Sprouts work, or at least how they should.

E: Now I want to pick up some sprouts to roast, to go with the Turkey, kale, and lentil soup I made with my turkey Carcass, so I can loving annihilate the office tomorrow.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Dec 12, 2019

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sprouts are the worst, but I assure you whatever is happening here isn't normal.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Noslo posted:

brussel sprouts are poo poo-tier veggies because even when they're prepared at their best (roasted, salt & pepper, drizzled with olive oil) there's still a tastier alternative involving literally any other vegetable.

:colbert:

I'm sorry you've only ever had spoiled, rotten Brussels sprouts. :smith:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

How in the gently caress is a popcorn ball a cookie?!

Get your poo poo together Nebraska.

(You too, New Jersey)

North Dakotan here, what the gently caress is a Spritz Cookie?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

thecluckmeme posted:

Imagine if a butter cookie and sugar cookie hosed and dipped the kid in almond extract.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

thecluckmeme posted:

It's a butter cookie that's made with a very soft dough that you extrude through a special cookie press. The press will have several different disc-shaped dies that make different cookie shapes (little wreaths, trees, ribbons...). Very tasty and traditional in some parts of the US. In fact, when that picture was posted my first thought was that it should have been spritzen for Nebraska.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ah, alright then. Just a name I've never seen for that kind of cookie.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At this point, I'm pretty sure that most maps like that are totally made up with no data.

Also I'm surprised nobody reacted at the fish gonads. Even if you don't know what they are, that's a lot of gloop.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Well, praline makes sense for Louisiana, even if it's not really a cookie. It's also horribly mispronounced outside of the state; if you hear someone pronounce it "PRAY-leen" then you can be sure they have no idea what they're talking about and they are definitely not from southern Louisiana, from where the American praline originates.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mushika posted:

Well, praline makes sense for Louisiana, even if it's not really a cookie. It's also horribly mispronounced outside of the state; if you hear someone pronounce it "PRAY-leen" then you can be sure they have no idea what they're talking about and they are definitely not from southern Louisiana, from where the American praline originates.

Wayne's World is probably where most people heard of pralines for the first time, so that's how I pronounce it, also "and dick"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Most people had never been in a Baskin-Robbins prior to 1990?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
People go to Baskin Robbins? Thought they were just for money laundering.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

TofuDiva posted:

It's a butter cookie that's made with a very soft dough that you extrude through a special cookie press. The press will have several different disc-shaped dies that make different cookie shapes (little wreaths, trees, ribbons...). Very tasty and traditional in some parts of the US. In fact, when that picture was posted my first thought was that it should have been spritzen for Nebraska.

That's a spritz cookie?

I always assumed a spritz cookie was some kind of lemon-flavored cookie.

The ones from the cookie press, I heard called form cookies.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My family lived in NY state for at least four generations, and we always called them spritz cookies. My sister still has a metal one that's 3 generations old. That was one of the highlights of Xmas, tinting some of the dough green, cranking it through that little tree shape, then decorating the trees with colored sugar and non-pareil "ornaments".

The swirly shape, you stuck a Hershey's kiss in the middle. (Please do not start a "Hershey's tastes like vomit" derail, I'm already sad that I'll never make those cookies with my mom again. :( )

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

thecluckmeme posted:

I'm originally from California, and have never had a persimmon cookie, no, not even at Yuletide.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

what's the other way to pronounce praline

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My family lived in NY state for at least four generations, and we always called them spritz cookies. My sister still has a metal one that's 3 generations old. That was one of the highlights of Xmas, tinting some of the dough green, cranking it through that little tree shape, then decorating the trees with colored sugar and non-pareil "ornaments".

The swirly shape, you stuck a Hershey's kiss in the middle. (Please do not start a "Hershey's tastes like vomit" derail, I'm already sad that I'll never make those cookies with my mom again. :( )

I grew up in California but with extended family in the midwest. Somehow I ended up with all of the handed-down cookie-making equipment, and it's really nice to have. I don't make a lot of cookies each year anymore but the thing that is nice about those old metal spritz presses is that they are big enough to hold a couple of cookie sheets' worth of dough at a time, and if you chill it, the metal tube helps the dough to not go saggy too fast.

I'd never diss anybody's holiday cookie traditions; we had some strange ones but everybody remembers them fondly. Maybe you should make a batch of the ones with the Hershey's kisses just for the memories and to hand out to friends/fam, because I'm betting that people would really enjoy them :3:

Which is basically to say that while this is the food snark thread, the sentimental side of holiday cookies gets complete immunity and I'll fight anybody who says nay to that. Spritz presses at twenty paces!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

snoo posted:

I say praline personally.

Christmas cookie memories:
Christmas is for eating 3lbs of butter cookies personally or they'll "go stale"
Also for delicious German Christmas cookies from my grandma and Aunt.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

snoo posted:

pra-LYN-ey, as the Italians do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Keen to see if the praline pronunciation purists will say PRAH-leen or will be like “well technically it’s a French past participle, praliné :smug:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Keen to see if the praline pronunciation purists will say PRAH-leen or will be like “well technically it’s a French past participle, praliné :smug:

These are both correct, but PRAH-leen is the most accepted Creole and Cajun pronunciation, and the one that is pronounced in the American praline's place of origin.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My family lived in NY state for at least four generations, and we always called them spritz cookies.
It's an Albany expression.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
SPAM is never gonna be pretty but it's still good. Even if it has cheese in it. :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

SPAM is never gonna be pretty but it's still good. Even if it has cheese in it. :shrug:

:emptyquote:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
perfect

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Croatoan posted:

Spam may not be pretty but that spam is ghoulish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Spam can be both delicious AND pretty

Either way some pan fried spam is amazing once or twice a year, and any time you're camping