Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

AzureSkys posted:

I got a USB 3.1 cable that's showing connected in the Oculus PC app, but when trying to enable Link on the Quest it's just a black screen. Eventually a "not responding, wait or close" screen comes up. One post I found mentioned a compatibility file in appdata/local/oculus that has my motherboard usb 3 controller blacklisted. So that may be why, but also some said if you have the geforce experience overlay on it may not work but I didn't try yet with that disabled.

This can also happen if the Quest software and Oculus software are not exactly in sync. The other common one you'll see if just a black screen without launching the Oculus desktop app. For some reason they do weird staged roll-outs so if you have finger tracking I don't think you can use link right now. If you don't have finger tracking you MIGHT be on the right version of the Oculus software.

It's bonkers stupid and they don't have an error message explaining what version you need. I'd just wait a day or two and try again. I don't know anything about the USB controller blacklisting however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The gradual and consistent raise of note jump speed in Beat Saber isn’t something that’s some weird contrivance or anything, it’s a factor of Beat Saber mapping styles and processes getting more refined and a better understanding of achieving a good flow of notes to match the song.
These days if you throw out a Beat Saber song that’s slower than NJS 16 people are going to ask what the gently caress is this slow map doing in TYOOL 2019.
This kind of speed is necessary to get your saber speed moving fast enough that hitting multiple notes in a consistent clean motion is totally natural, you can’t get that at low NJS even if you pack in more notes per second.

I just did this one the other day and I did this on a sight read. The note placement, song speed and NJS all made so much sense it was just purely instinctual and the resulting flow is awesome.
https://youtu.be/PnwmbkWKfmg

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

So Robo Recall is pretty highly regarded right? Trying to decide between that and Pistol Whip.

Both are great but I enjoyed Robo Recall a bit more. There’s more interaction with enemies and more you can actually do when it comes to combat. Grabbing a robot, ripping a limb off and throwing said limb at another robot doesn’t really get old imo. It also encourages a 360 degree level of play and has at least some level of customization and unlockables.

But they are both completely different kinds of games so it just depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a work out and something that is rhythm focused I would go with Pistol Whip. If you are looking at just purely combat and interactivity I would go with Robo Recall.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wasn’t considering Beat Saber for my new rig because I had it on PSVR but if there’s a bigger library I will. I got bored with there only being like 10 songs on the PlayStation with a campaign that immediately turned me off when the invisible block stages started.

Also that Darth Maul poo poo is awesome.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
PC sand Quest have access to custom songs, of which there’s about 30,000.
PC even has awesome features of being able to search and download new songs from in game, or by request bots in the event you stream Beat Saber on twitch.
So basically the PSVR version is like a tech demo and the PC version is a fount of evergreen awesomeness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Quest is absolutely going to be the dominant VR headset before long. It offers all the big PC titles people might have actually heard of, doesn't have a $1,000USD buy-in, and it's portable.

The first thing isn't true though, A goon literally just posted "oh man there's fewer games on quest than I thought"

It will get there but it isn't yet, that is the point. Yes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Michaellaneous posted:

I should mention these experiences are for my mother who doesnt speak english.

Then skip Job Sim (or translate the instructions for her, they're simple and intuitive)

But beat saber or loading up some environments to just walk around should be ideal.

Download like some beaches and snowy mountains and london bridge and stuff and let her marvel at "being somewhere else" instantly.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Playing Pokerstars in the morning is a trip. It's not functionally that different from a flat-screen experience with a bunch of international people but something about sitting around a virtual poker table with people from the US, France, Denmark, Sweden etc is really cool.

Re: The Quest, after having a couple days with it I agree that this is the direction VR needs to push in. Being able to just slip it on with no fuss or wires makes me way more likely to use it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Quest 2 will be good. Or knowing stupidass Facebook, they'll continue changing the gaming or whatever and it'll be Oculus Next.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Boneworks is really great. I've never really played a VR game for more than 30-45 minutes straight but I was able to stay engaged with Boneworks for several hours with a few quick breaks. Haven't really had any motion sickness issues despite the extended playtime.

The game is super immersive and the physics are a ton of fun to dick around with. My biggest complaints that I'm sure have been echoed several times are a) not being able to save mid-scene (insanely stupid), and b) the climbing, particularly lifting my body over an edge, is so loving janky and feels nearly impossible. Game still rules tho.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

punished milkman posted:

b) the climbing, particularly lifting my body over an edge, is so loving janky and feels nearly impossible. Game still rules tho.

Use virtual crouching IN ADDITION to your real crouching to climb 2-3 meters tall ledges. That trick makes climbing real smooth and easy. I'm pretty sure that's the intended way.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The worst thing about the Quest is giving Facebook money and that's gonna be a hard no from me until the end of time

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jack Trades posted:

Use virtual crouching IN ADDITION to your real crouching to climb 2-3 meters tall ledges. That trick makes climbing real smooth and easy. I'm pretty sure that's the intended way.

Yeah this is what made me go "OH I GET IT", virtually crouching to lift my legs up onto things.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, this. I turned it off immediately in the main menu and got about halfway through before I remembered it.

Man, the HMD warehouse level was so intense. Genuinely felt like I’d killed a room full of evil headsets and was on my knees in blood fueled exhaustion by the end.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

This really bothers me, it makes no sense that crouching IRL isn't sufficient and you have to press an extra button to clamber over stuff

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lemming posted:

This really bothers me, it makes no sense that crouching IRL isn't sufficient and you have to press an extra button to clamber over stuff

Because there is no way to track your feet you have to have some way to tell the game "my legs are up" besides using the ground. If you are climbing over something and in the air the game doesn't know what you want to do with your feet since you're off the ground.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

Explains why they do obnoxious things for jerks like bump the note jump speed up.

The expert+ of this is right around the boarder of what I can do with fail on and just barely get through.

With fail off, I was trying to play this, I really like the chart but the jump speed is way too high. I feel like I could practice my way through it and clear it within a few days if it were lower, but it's just way too uncomfortable to play.

Ok that makes sense on the njs thing now.

Yeah so, I'd recommend starting to pickup nuketime maps. Hate to say it, but overkill, would be right around where id recommend you start. Then pretty much that era of mapping in general.

Shove your score saber into this

https://scoresaber.balibalo.xyz/peepee

Not saying every ranked map is good, in fact, a ton of old poo poo is hot garbage, but working through that might be enjoyable later.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does Beat Saber usually go on sale for the big Steam sales? I want to get it but am hoping to get a discount if I just wait a week.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Because there is no way to track your feet you have to have some way to tell the game "my legs are up" besides using the ground. If you are climbing over something and in the air the game doesn't know what you want to do with your feet since you're off the ground.

I know the reason why, it makes no sense to me that they didn't work on an extra thing like "if your feet are not touching the ground and you're crouched, tuck up a little extra so you can get over an edge." If you put your head on the ground, you can see your feet pull up enough, but now you can't reach further down in order to push yourself over the edge. If you hold jump, you can see your legs tuck a little further when your hands are touching the ground and that lets you get up and over.

My point is that in a game where they are trying to be as realistic as possible, making it so certain moves are only possible by pressing buttons feels weird and bad. I initially thought it wasn't possible to vault yourself up over edges because I had virtual crouch disabled, because why would I use that if I plan on crouching in real life?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Beat Saber is the highest selling VR game of all time, it hasn’t and won’t go on sale.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

cheesetriangles posted:

Does Beat Saber usually go on sale for the big Steam sales? I want to get it but am hoping to get a discount if I just wait a week.

Looking at the history: no.

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/beatsaber/history/

It used to be $19.99 then they permanently raised the price to $29.99 a while ago. It looks like it's never been on sale, so the chance of a sale is low, but then again they just got bought by Facebook so history isn't really a guide anymore.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just buy Beat Saber it is absolutely 1000% worth every cent.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just buy Beat Saber it is absolutely 1000% worth every cent.

Assuming you're on PC or are willing to mod quest.

Its not a 29.99 game without it. The OST is trash and the DLC is too expensive and also trash compared to community maps.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lemming posted:

I know the reason why, it makes no sense to me that they didn't work on an extra thing like "if your feet are not touching the ground and you're crouched, tuck up a little extra so you can get over an edge." If you put your head on the ground, you can see your feet pull up enough, but now you can't reach further down in order to push yourself over the edge. If you hold jump, you can see your legs tuck a little further when your hands are touching the ground and that lets you get up and over.

My point is that in a game where they are trying to be as realistic as possible, making it so certain moves are only possible by pressing buttons feels weird and bad. I initially thought it wasn't possible to vault yourself up over edges because I had virtual crouch disabled, because why would I use that if I plan on crouching in real life?

Yeah. If I had my way I'd make it so your body is a bit more forgiving on if it can clip through things. It already can, even if poo poo gets wobbly and weird when you do it, just make it so physics bends a bit more for the body you can't control outside of a joystick movement.
I'm not sure if I care that I have a full body in Boneworks, vs if there was just floating hands. Lots of times I'm bending over something to look over an edge and the game assumes I'm crouching because it doesn't know where my feet are. Kinda gets in the way.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

EbolaIvory posted:

Assuming you're on PC or are willing to mod quest.

Its not a 29.99 game without it. The OST is trash and the DLC is too expensive and also trash compared to community maps.

OST 1 is legit and even the Popstars is decent.

Rest is mehhhhhh.....

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Stick100 posted:

This can also happen if the Quest software and Oculus software are not exactly in sync. The other common one you'll see if just a black screen without launching the Oculus desktop app. For some reason they do weird staged roll-outs so if you have finger tracking I don't think you can use link right now. If you don't have finger tracking you MIGHT be on the right version of the Oculus software.

It's bonkers stupid and they don't have an error message explaining what version you need. I'd just wait a day or two and try again. I don't know anything about the USB controller blacklisting however.

I'm hoping that's it. My quest updated right when I tried Link but the PC app hasn't yet. What a crazy method!

I decided to buy Moss so that'll keep me busy until it updates, I hope.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Jack Trades posted:

I've been playing in seated mode (which the game recommends) so am I just screwed?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

punished milkman posted:

I've been playing in seated mode (which the game recommends) so am I just screwed?

No, you're good. The issue is when you *don't* use the virtual crouch button and try to only crouch in real life, your legs will get in the way of climbing over ledges. If you're sitting and using virtual crouch, you should have no problem. You can look down when you're pressing crouch and you should see your legs tuck really high up into your body. If you try to replicate that in real life, your head has to basically be touching the floor, and that doesn't work well with pushing your arms down to climb over an edge.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

SabinBlitz posted:

OST 1 is legit and even the Popstars is decent.

Rest is mehhhhhh.....

OST 1 and 2 are TRASH on expert+. OST 3 is good on expert+

All of the song packs I think are pretty good on expert+ too.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi thanks guys I went ahead and bought it. Wish the song downloader had a better filter so I could just see songs with normal / hard modes. There is sort by difficulty that just puts everything with expert+ at top and then I need to guess what has normal mode?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rage-saq posted:

I just did this one the other day and I did this on a sight read. The note placement, song speed and NJS all made so much sense it was just purely instinctual and the resulting flow is awesome.
https://youtu.be/PnwmbkWKfmg

That looks fine. What isn't fine is the songs I've played that appear on screen and need to be sliced within a third of the time of those notes. The note speed itself would potentially be okay if they showed up three times as far so you could actually respond to them without just frantic waggling or knowing the map in advance, but it doesn't work like that and it sucks bad.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Hit a stuck puzzle in Boneworks. A thing I needed to move clipped on another thing and they were entangled with each other and neither would move anymore. Guess that's the downside of complicated physics.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I sure hope it's at the beginning of the scene and not the end. :classiclol:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

I sure hope it's at the beginning of the scene and not the end. :classiclol:

So true. Seriously my biggest complaint so far is the distance on saves.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1205249752868089856

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:negative:

So much for the hype, I imagine this means the L4D3VR stuff was total baloney

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I hope in return that the GTA6 stuff will be true then.

Ah, who are we kidding...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Thank god, now I don't have to pay attention to The Game Awards.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

They announced this three weeks ago, how did they not already have something ready to show?

Someone at Valve loves jerking off to the tears of gamers, and somehow didn't get their fill from announcing the next Half Life game as a VR exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Zaphod42 posted:

:negative:

So much for the hype, I imagine this means the L4D3VR stuff was total baloney

All they said was they weren't showing off HL:A. Nothing about l4d3vr in that tweet :science: