Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m on Day 2 of The Trial and good god this painful to watch. It’s like hours of just Tim mispronouncing actor names.

To be clear, I love it.

Objection

....Is it officially a tongue twister?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Tim slowly figuring out what "overruled" actually means is likely the peak of The Trial.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Tim slowly figuring out what "overruled" actually means is likely the peak of The Trial.

Oh drat I didn't get that from just watching the highlights

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m on Day 2 of The Trial and good god this painful to watch. It’s like hours of just Tim mispronouncing actor names.

To be clear, I love it.

I think my favorite Tim actor mispronounciation might be the weird emphasis he puts on Ed Norton's name so he says it like "Ed Nor-TON."

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I started watching this because of the thread. I just finished season 1. I've only seen some random Tim & Eric stuff and the first hour of The Trial, which I liked but now I feel like I have to watch all of this first to get the whole story.

The name butchering is definitely the best part, especially "And it stars, surprisingly, Bill Murray as President Oba-" and then Tim mispronouncing Roosevelt in like three different ways.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The woman Channing Tatum

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Mark Porch

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Still disappointed we never got to see Classic Movie Time.

(And Mister America was one of my favorite movies to come out this year, I want to see the TURKINGTON CUT)

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Nailing "Joaquin" and then immediately loving up "Phoenix" makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Tarj-TARaj-Tarjey P. Henson, related to Jim Henson

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Just throwing in another huge recommendation for the Oscar specials.

I admire the actors' ability to stay in character live for 3hrs, although they sometimes crack and it melts my heart. Gregg in particular can be seen holding in laughter at times.

Best Oscar special was the one with the Jaws 2 40th anniversary celebration and Mark Proksch in an attempted recreation of an underwater Jaws scene nearly suffocating and being sent to the hospital while the show was airing

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Just throwing in another huge recommendation for the Oscar specials.

I admire the actors' ability to stay in character live for 3hrs, although they sometimes crack and it melts my heart. Gregg in particular can be seen holding in laughter at times.

The only reason Gregg is about to laugh is because he's thinking about some of George Burns crazy antics in Oh, God! a popcorn classic!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

watching the whole trial is great if you get the chance, it starts off insanely slow but it has some of the best stuff in the whole series imo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what's up with tims... method of acting on decker? It seemed normalish in the first season but then the second season it got a little weird and i assumed that was because of his head injuries/sleep deprivation but now I'm on s3 and he's still making those faces

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/timheidecker/status/1206622620055003136?s=20

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This airs in an hour!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

This airs in an hour!

is it on adult swim?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tim's YouTube page.
https://www.youtube.com/user/theidecker

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Im diving in headfirst thanks to this thread. I just finished the podcast series and can't wait to see how, based on the thread, this takes like eighty different left turns and careens off fifty different cliffs.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Stairmaster posted:

what's up with tims... method of acting on decker? It seemed normalish in the first season but then the second season it got a little weird and i assumed that was because of his head injuries/sleep deprivation but now I'm on s3 and he's still making those faces

His cadence definitely changes, I've always attributed it to Tim's ego becoming inflated as a result of the show getting picked up, so he puts even less effort into remembering his lines.

But really I think real life Tim probably just wanted to lay it on a little thicker to make sure no one would think he believed the awful things he sometimes says as Decker. It's a really great Steven Seagal/wannabe Jack Bauer impression.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, the Decker character is insane but it’s honestly pretty accurate to late career Seagal.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

If folks haven't heard it, Tim reading dialogue from Ben Shapiro's terrible Tom Clancy novel as Jack Decker is amazing. It highlights just how close Decker gets to the real thing with its parody:

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-79-our-values-are-under-attack-feat-tim-heidecker-2617 (it starts at about 50 minutes)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, the Decker character is insane but it’s honestly pretty accurate to late career Seagal.

Yeah. After marathoning Decker recently I happened to throw on Exit Wounds while doing some housework and it shocked me just how Decker he was.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The name mispronunciation gag is so much stronger in the later seasons when Tim is in full on 80s grifter businessman mode.

I gotta say, the name mispronunciation gag felt like a ripoff of Between Two Ferns at first, but Tim does it so much better than Zach. And gently caress Ferns in general anyway.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Budgie Jumping posted:

I gotta say, the name mispronunciation gag felt like a ripoff of Between Two Ferns at first, but Tim does it so much better than Zach. And gently caress Ferns in general anyway.

Did Zach Gasmatafsky do something lovely?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone enjoy the telethon thing? I keep starting it and it just sounds like Normal Tim doing office hours for a while
Non-video oscar special just makes me cry

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I listened to about half of it. I'm not too into the audio stuff. (got so much to listen to as it is.)

I gathered that Mark is alive but missing, possibly wandering the streets of LA as a homeless person.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Anyone enjoy the telethon thing? I keep starting it and it just sounds like Normal Tim doing office hours for a while
Non-video oscar special just makes me cry

I donated to get Gregg to provide my friend a Popcorn Classic for "Nothing But Trouble." It just got sent today. Totally worth the money.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Cognac McCarthy posted:

His cadence definitely changes, I've always attributed it to Tim's ego becoming inflated as a result of the show getting picked up, so he puts even less effort into remembering his lines.

But really I think real life Tim probably just wanted to lay it on a little thicker to make sure no one would think he believed the awful things he sometimes says as Decker. It's a really great Steven Seagal/wannabe Jack Bauer impression.

Decker isn't a hitman though, he's a secret agent

I'd like to think that if...you know, if someone like Obama was president, jack decker would

Don't go saying things like that on the show, you'll get us shut down

I'm not saying he would do that to Obama but just if someone like Obama were president. Exactly like Obama.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You don't review the Kennedy Assassination based on whether it was a good assassination. You review it based on if it's a good movie, which it was.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wow gregg seems way more hosed up by the fire than tom cruise heideker dying

e: just realized gregg became his character from ant-man when he began running the theater

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 24, 2019

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lmao every time i remember where tim got his right hand

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

From his brother/brother in law

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I'm really happy this thread exists because OC is amazing. I am a massive T&E fan and noticed the Trial of Tim Heidecker as a suggested watch on YouTube. I couldn't believe that I had missed out on such a great series. I've just begun watching the actual Decker show and am aghast at how great everything is. When I watched the Oscar Special segment with TCH Jr. being brought back to life my jaw was agape. I couldn't believe how loving insane the tribute was to his (effectively) murdered child.

I appreciate that just about everything pays off in the show in one way or another. Little things like the argument over getting air conditioning in the theater. Sure enough, Gregg acquiesces and the remaining theater episodes have a loud humming AC compressor running in the background.

I could probably start a thread on a guy I know who is a real-life incarnate of Tim's character. Dude was given a bar by his family that he ran into the ground, but not before hosting music and MMA events there, which was a springboard into his simultaneous new careers as an MMA announcer and music producer/promoter/artist. This culminated in a music festival which missed its debut weekend, was pushed to another weekend three months later in a different state, and then finally failed again. Both times failed were for lack of securing permits. You know - a very basic first step to doing something like this. He's now personally on the hook for loads of money because he never setup an LLC or secured insurance. It was a litany of failure all the way down and now I believe he's trying to pivot into motivational speaking.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

If folks haven't already seen it, Overnight is a really great documentary about the director of The Boondock Saints, who is a lot like Tim too:

https://imdb.com/title/tt0390336/

He's paranoid, delusional, and gets just enough validation to ensure he never changes his behavior or attitudes.

And since you mentioned it, Tim really ought to get into the whole motivational speaking/real estate coaching scam eventually, it would fit his character perfectly.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
wait what's Our Cinema Oscar Special LIVE
totally missed any mention of that

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

https://youtu.be/ZMIQEWdPaRA

It's Gregg's independent Oscar special made with Mark while Tim was off touring with Dekkar.

The actual story behind it is that Adult Swim didn't give them any money for an Oscar special that year so this is what they threw together last minute. It's got some funny moments but it's definitely not on the level of the other specials.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Forgot how wholesome and genuine the Joe/Greg interview is in the last oscar special

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

you know who tim's character reminds me a lot of? our own lowtax lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Tim’s attorney is giving me big Beto vibes