Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There are a couple moments in DS where it feels like something went horribly wrong with the facial tracking, like mama's rubble flashback, admittedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
LA Noire was such a weird, interesting tech dead end. Didn’t that game basically make every face out of an FMV normal map?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

There are a couple moments in DS where it feels like something went horribly wrong with the facial tracking, like mama's rubble flashback, admittedly

I think that's to do with certain aspects of the face, like the inside of the mouth, obviously prohibiting the same kind of attention, so if a character opens their mouth too wide it looks unnatural, which she does in that scene. There's a lot of issues with mocap that is still limited by the need for reference markers since it means the things you can't track will require your animation team to do some extraordinarily lifelike work in a far more hands on fashion, and that's really tough. Even something as stupid as the flexible mucosa inside your mouth being too stiff will make your brain think something's off, we're designed to pay a lot of attention to faces so it's obviously going to be heavily scrutinized by anyone.

I could get into how there's a whole host of other weird things that throw our senses off, from things like mouths and eyes not appearing soft or moist enough, skin not appearing pliable or having enough give, nails looking inorganic or glassy, etc. etc. The more otherwise realistic the motions or capture, the more obvious those flaws become. A really well animated face with an open mouth and a very obviously lifeless oral cavity weirds us out.

No matter how good mocap or model fidelity gets, things like how light passes through cartilage in your ears or nose, how veins stretch and condense in the hand, fat jiggling, your eyelids not being entirely opaque and on and on will pose challenges that will likely not be solved for application in commercial entertainment for a long while. So for the foreseeable future we're going to be finding virtually every performance and result somewhat uncanny.

MGSV still looked doll-like enough to induce less of that reaction.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Holy crap

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Raptor1033 posted:

Is PT that cool rear end game that almost got made with Guillermo del Toro?

PT was the playable teaser for Silent Hills, which would have been joint-directed by Kojima and Del Toro, with art direction by Junji Ito.

Konami killed it harder than Dracula. It was the fallout from that and the handling of MGSV that led to Kojima leaving to found his own company.

Silent Hills died for our gaming sins.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WaltherFeng posted:

Describe Death Stranding in 3 words

piss on ghosts

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
MGSV’s faces were great but for the most part were static/stiff in animation.

One thing I don’t like about DS/Decima is that everyone’s skin still looks a little... I dunno, moist? Shiny? It’s a problem I had with HZD too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Gonna replay Death Stranding tonight. No regrets.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

WaltherFeng posted:

Describe Death Stranding in 3 words

describe death stranding

honestly you could have made this harder.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

:swoon: i did not know how much i needed lauren mayberry cosplaying as higgs until now :swoon:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I’m just in chapter 4?

i just got to mountain knot city and they told me to go jump. Ok fair enough. Then I got an email saying go see mama. I’m assuming she’ll help out or I’ll need to bring her there.

I have the ziplines now but the couple I’ve built have just disappeared and I haven’t noticed as many in the world. Also I havent noticed the roads expanding like they had before. That said...I’m not exactly helping donate to them. Is there a link between you helping this stuff and others popping in? Also I want to set up a bunch of ziplines from mountain knot to the roboticist to the weather station but how do I get them not dying quickly from time fall? Just hope for others to upgrade?

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Just started Chapter 4, which was a bit unexpected.

Am I likely to be here a while, or can I go back to building roads and delivering films soon?

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

Gambrinus posted:

Just started Chapter 4, which was a bit unexpected.

Am I likely to be here a while, or can I go back to building roads and delivering films soon?

It's not a long section. When in doubt, keep shooting.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

teacup posted:

So I’m just in chapter 4?

I have the ziplines now but the couple I’ve built have just disappeared

Are you sure there weren't some online ziplines you were using? They shouldn't disappear THAT fast (like only the structures I built at the very beginning of the game had begun to go out of commission from timefall by the end of the game) so make sure you're logged in

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I didn't start to see ziplines everywhere until after my second storyline trip to Mountain Knot.

Speaking of ziplilnes, that right-next-to-BTs one is one of my higher rated non-road objects now so the person who suggested I leave it was correct.

I've really started to care less about getting optimal placement of these. I will build one 100 feet from another one if it ties two online networks together . Like it should be possible to cover the distance beetween Heartman and the Geologist in two ziplines but I've been unable to get the placement to make it work and am currently using three hops and it still doesn't get me to the geologist's door step.

I had originally decided to not even place ziplines here because it's a relatively safe and easy trek from Heartman and the Geologist but the trek BACK always seems to cause a whiteout.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 13, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Catching up with the pizza missions in the post-game and oh man, whoever came up with the idea of giving you a champagne bottle you have to hand-hold that prevents use of zip lines and vehicles is an evil, evil genius. gently caress you, Higgs!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't start seeing zip lines until after I visited Die Heartman

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Catching up with the pizza missions in the post-game and oh man, whoever came up with the idea of giving you a champagne bottle you have to hand-hold that prevents use of zip lines and vehicles is an evil, evil genius. gently caress you, Higgs!

I like the idea of him doing it purely to gently caress with you

Sam for this delivery if your speed exceeds 2 KMH or you set it down and pick it up again the cargo will absolutely ruined, just FUBAR Sam

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Yeah, the champagne bottle run was a favorite out of the entire game.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah, the champagne bottle run was a favorite out of the entire game.

It’s a great test of your terrain knowledge for the map.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Namely, do you know where your highway all the way to Lake Knot City is?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am glad I had a level 3 speed skeleton for that

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It looks like I have one more person to get 5 stars from but I have no idea who. I got Peter englert and first prepper and first porter. Any secret characters?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

In order of appearance,

Luden’s fan
Musician
Collector
Cosplayer
Peter
Novelist’s Son
Veteran Porter
First Prepper

In my experience, it’s hard to see the last sliver of the star on the summary screen, so I’d go back and do one delivery for each person.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Steve Yun posted:

It looks like I have one more person to get 5 stars from but I have no idea who. I got Peter englert and first prepper and first porter. Any secret characters?

When you look at your map and hit R3 to view chiral network coverage, are there any conspicuous areas missing/blacked out from the puzzle?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nope!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I think I finally understand this game. Started chipping away at Ch.3 some more and ended up loving dropping likes on everything, hauling stuff out to people's sites, and gettings tons of likes from rebuilding roads. Leaving rope behind for people off the beaten path is fun. It's me, I'm homo ludens.

Before I had only like a vague idea of what I was even doing and it honestly felt like a hallucination sometimes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Spalec posted:

He appear in one of those videos many years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ZFA4me4iw

ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84SABJJhfZw

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

skooma512 posted:

I think I finally understand this game. Started chipping away at Ch.3 some more and ended up loving dropping likes on everything, hauling stuff out to people's sites, and gettings tons of likes from rebuilding roads. Leaving rope behind for people off the beaten path is fun. It's me, I'm homo ludens.

Before I had only like a vague idea of what I was even doing and it honestly felt like a hallucination sometimes.

Hell yeah 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

God gently caress Peter Englert.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Cowman posted:

God gently caress Peter Englert.

Forever your faithful servant

Higgs Monaghan

The Pizza missions are the bonus boss of this game. How well can you stack your cargo? What about planning routes, avoiding enemies, using container repair spray and timefall shelters? Okay, now you can't use vehicles, what now hotshot?

Each one more nerve-wracking and taxing than the last. Always under a timer and fragile cargo limit.

Which, of course Higgs, the game-centric nutjob would throw in a bonus boss.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

J.A.B.C. posted:

Forever your faithful servant

Higgs Monaghan

The Pizza missions are the bonus boss of this game. How well can you stack your cargo? What about planning routes, avoiding enemies, using container repair spray and timefall shelters? Okay, now you can't use vehicles, what now hotshot?

Each one more nerve-wracking and taxing than the last. Always under a timer and fragile cargo limit.

Which, of course Higgs, the game-centric nutjob would throw in a bonus boss.

I couldn't figure out how to lay the pizza flat in the first mission, somehow managed to complete it anyway sprinting with vertical pizza.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Get a truck. Or fill up your backpack with 4 M-sized items then the pizza will lay on top of them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Or use a floating carrier

But, yes if you run fast the pizza will not get a lot of damage in a short amount of time

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The whole game should have been about pizza delivery imo. Everyone understands the importance of receiving an intact pizza.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

pippy posted:

I couldn't figure out how to lay the pizza flat in the first mission, somehow managed to complete it anyway sprinting with vertical pizza.

IMO, start by slamming 8 blood bags onto your back, then put the pizza on top.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I tried to do the champagne one with floating carriers with plans to skate down the highway.

But I got shocked by MULEs and the pizza floated away down the river. It was the first time I saw a game over screen :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just straight up ignored the Peter quests until I felt like doing them. They're so optional I can't really hate em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If anything I wish there were more delivery missions with weird restrictions- was excited when I first saw the Pizza Missions but they're really the only strange type apart from the heat and cold-sensitive deliveries.