Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Poetic and awful fates worse than death in dishonored owned, sending those dickhead aristocrats to their own slave mines was cash money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The writer also said on twitter that sending Lady Boyle away with the creepy stalker guy didn't really turn out bad for her, she ended up with him wrapped around her finger, but it's still hilariously dastardly of you to tell her "someone is here to kill you" to encourage her to flee when you are the person that is there to kill her.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Dec 13, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Werong Bustope posted:

It does feel quite good, but to feel fully satisfied by a stealth game I need to be able to knock guards out and leave them in strange and compromising places, double points if there's a bathroom in a map so I can see how many unconscious guards will fit in a stall.

I wish there was an option to carefully pose unconscious dudes' limbs etc. Garry's mod style.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Kennel posted:

I wish there was an option to carefully pose unconscious dudes' limbs etc. Garry's mod style.

Just lol if you aren't constantly posing unconscious enemies in a 69 position.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
RE: Dishonored chat: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9cR63PgdMh2QsxDWXHun4Y9ckz1hKpVG. Also check out the low chaos Emily runthrough for a lot more stuff like this.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The best pacifist-run game is Iji, where as long as it's not your bullets that kill them, your kill-count stays at 0 and the game explicitly tells you this. Lure two different alien factions to each other? Shatter a floor under someone? Duck a rocket aimed at you so it hits someone else? Reflect a rocket back at it's shooter with your personal forcefield? It's all pacifist baby!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
iji is criminally underknown for the amount of interesting stuff it has

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Elfface posted:

The best pacifist-run game is Iji, where as long as it's not your bullets that kill them, your kill-count stays at 0 and the game explicitly tells you this. Lure two different alien factions to each other? Shatter a floor under someone? Duck a rocket aimed at you so it hits someone else? Reflect a rocket back at it's shooter with your personal forcefield? It's all pacifist baby!

batman-i-wont-kill-you.jpg

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I decided to revisit Painkiller and early on there's these enemies that are like hooded cultists with axes. They can try to throw their axe at you, but they have no way of retrieving or replacing it. Since the game doesn't want to have enemies that can't attack the player, they then just drop dead.

It's fun to finish a pitched battle and realize there's just one axe-dude left so you can just bait out his throw, step slightly to the side, and watch him just fall down. Painkiller in general has a lot of fun with ragdolling dead enemies.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Crowetron posted:

I decided to revisit Painkiller and early on there's these enemies that are like hooded cultists with axes. They can try to throw their axe at you, but they have no way of retrieving or replacing it. Since the game doesn't want to have enemies that can't attack the player, they then just drop dead.

It's fun to finish a pitched battle and realize there's just one axe-dude left so you can just bait out his throw, step slightly to the side, and watch him just fall down. Painkiller in general has a lot of fun with ragdolling dead enemies.

Ha, I never noticed that because I was all ITMOVESGOTTASHOOTIT

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Ha, I never noticed that because I was all ITMOVESGOTTASHOOTIT

I noticed a bunch of them seemed to die just as I turned to look at them, so I looked up the cause to just make sure I hadn't run into some weird bug.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Shovel Knight: King of Cards is a Wario Land game.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I was skeptical of King of Cards "dash bounce dash" system but it turns many rooms into sort of a puzzle instead of just pure platforming which makes it incredibly satisfying to romp your way through them all.

Also I was absolutely not fond of the card game aspect at first but since then I have become very fond of the card game. It helps that the gem cheat is basically a free win you can throw out whenever you're about to lose so you don't have to deal with the frustrating card loss mechanic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

I was skeptical of King of Cards "dash bounce dash" system but it turns many rooms into sort of a puzzle instead of just pure platforming which makes it incredibly satisfying to romp your way through them all.

Also I was absolutely not fond of the card game aspect at first but since then I have become very fond of the card game. It helps that the gem cheat is basically a free win you can throw out whenever you're about to lose so you don't have to deal with the frustrating card loss mechanic.

Yeah, the King Knight platforming is a really fun and interesting take on the platforming mechanics and really helps make it enjoyable to play on its own merits. The card game I can take and leave but once you have a good deck it becomes a lot more fun.

It's honestly pretty mindblowing that Shovel Knight ended up with 4 games, each with their own characters and storylines and unique mechanics, and all of them stuck the landing.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I love the progression there's been of "Plague Knight controls so differently that it feels like a new game" to "Specter Knight has so many differences it's basically a new game" to "King Knight is literally just a new game"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All this Dishonoured talk reminds me of the 80 Ways to Kill Jindosh video.

That mansion is one of my favourite levels of any game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWSIHC2lvn4

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elfface posted:

on the other hand it didn't respond to what i tried in my first playthrough, which was only killing one of the factions (apparently the killcount is global)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fun thing about playing pacifist in Iji is that you have to get/create the weapon that kills any enemy in one hit in order to actually do it, because in order to skip a certain boss you need to shoot through a wall and destroy a power generator to open an alternate way out... and the only weapon with a projectile that goes through walls looks like this

Pacifism! :shepface:

edit: Also several times there will be a gap you need to cross that is too far to jump over, so you have to propel yourself to the other side by exploding a portable nuke right on top of yourself or firing rockets directly into walls or the floor. Pacifism!! :shepface:

In fact, there is a logbook you can find in a hidden room ingame that is itself reached by doing this trick, in which the aliens have discovered from watching you that this is a valid way to get to the other side of a room and now they are doing that instead of just walking.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Dec 13, 2019

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

CJacobs posted:

In fact, there is a logbook you can find in a hidden room ingame that is itself reached by doing this trick, in which the aliens have discovered from watching you that this is a valid way to get to the other side of a room and now they are doing that instead of just walking.

Ah, the reverse Metroid

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also right at the very end of the game there's a logbook that details every individual alien you've killed and how they died. They all even have a NON-RANDOMIZED name, age, and place of birth. There are 600 enemies exactly in the game so if you've been real thorough the list just goes on and on and on and eventually spills over into a second logbook next to it. It also functions as a pacifist run checker though, because true to its purpose it'll be completely blank and boy is it satisfying to see. Iji is so awesome man.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Elfface posted:

Was it always like this? I did a forcefield only run soon after the game came out and I remember all the aliens immediately started acting like I was a violent murderer the first time I reflected a shot back at anybody. I guess that's different than a technical kill count, and I wouldn't remember a number.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
e: disregard this post, I'm bad at reading.

Olive! has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Dec 13, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Was it always like this? I did a forcefield only run soon after the game came out and I remember all the aliens immediately started acting like I was a violent murderer the first time I reflected a shot back at anybody. I guess that's different than a technical kill count, and I wouldn't remember a number.

This was changed and then re-changed later iirc. The reflector used to count as lethal aggression, and then it was changed to not count if you killed someone with it, and now in the final version it does count again.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Gotta check on Strawberry Jam, the first chapter was Little Things: The Game; in a split-second before one cutscene I managed to jump on a ledge and start the conversation from the wrong position and the other character reacted specifically to that move

Daniel Remar posted:

Unfortunately, at this time it doesn't seem likely that I'll finish the remaining chapters, due to working on other things and how difficult this game was to develop.
:(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's one of those in nu-DOOM as well. There's a part where roboman Samuel Hayden disables Doomguy's weapons so you can chat in person, but you have a split second right when he opens the door to try and blow him away with whatever you want. Not only does it not work, he chastises you for it with different dialogue.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Dec 13, 2019

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Where the gently caress did this Ijii game come from? Are you guys BioEnchanting me am i being bioenchanted

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

There were a lot less indie games to choose from in 2008.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Olive! posted:

There were a lot less indie games to choose from in 2008.

:colbert: Iji would be fine today if it was less ugly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

1stGear posted:

Where the gently caress did this Ijii game come from? Are you guys BioEnchanting me am i being bioenchanted

No, that one's real, this isn't like the F.R.I.E.N.D.S. joke game that everyone keeps going on about.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

1stGear posted:

It was deeply popular with a niche part of the internet for a while. It's a drat fine game but it's weird and not for everyone.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It looks like Iji came out right near the beginning of the PC indie game boom (a month after Braid), and isn't even on Steam, so I guess it's not too surprising a lot of us have never loving heard of it. It still seems like something I couldn't possibly have missed, so, yeah, I think this thread willed it into existence.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Iji is incredible and everyone here should play it. It's free. Please play Iji.

http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Iji came out in like... 2008 I think? it is incredibly unique and very much worth playing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Remar also made Hero Core, perhaps my favorite indie metroidvania. Obviously an extremely subjective stance, but hey, I loved it.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Remar also made Hero Core, perhaps my favorite indie metroidvania. Obviously an extremely subjective stance, but hey, I loved it.

!!

This was a game I remember seeing years ago but could never remember the name and must've forgotten about. I love metroidvanias so I'm downloading it immediately. Thanks.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

flatluigi posted:

iji is criminally underknown for the amount of interesting stuff it has

:hai: it’s really fun and the final boss theme is a goddamn banger

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if you're wondering what daniel remar is doing these days btw he's part of the ~six person team going by Ludosity, who have made the Ittle Dew games (and the games sharing its artstyle like Card City Nights) as well as Princess Remedy

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJacobs posted:

Another fun little thing you can do is late in the game (low chaos) there's a side mission where some survivors are trying to escape the city but there's a ton of guards in the way. Your goal is to deactivate a watchtower and take care of the mech suit dudes patrolling the street. When you do so they actually run out to safety, not just with a fade to black or whatever, and the mission is marked complete.

...And then you can reactivate the watchtower and have the mech suit guards rain hellfire upon them while they're running away. They all make it safely, but the game specifically takes credit for completing the mission away from you because you were a dick. It pops up and says you failed even though it already popped up and said you completed it and everything. :allears:

In GTA IV's big important choice mission I drove off after sitting there about to do it. About ten seconds after driving away I pulled the e-brake and floored it back. The NPCs were still there although the Important Character has started running once I had driven off. Ran him down and Roman had some unique dialog for having changed my mind like that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Speaking of bioenchanted, I've been playing some old games from my backlog and found a few things I like in an old physics puzzler called Quantum Conundrum. It has some warts for sure, but John De Lancie does the vocal work and makes for a good mad scientist, and one thing I really liked was how when you die, instead of the usual tool tips, this one gives you Things You Will Never Experience, and most of them are normal things like "getting your licence" or "learning how to shave". It's so weirdly dark and funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
In Dishonored, I liked playing really stealthily and non lethally until the final section then turning into a murderous vengeance monster for the last levels.

I loved the idea of being a total ghost then terrifying everyone being all up in their face and unstoppable like a Predator for the denouement