Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
What the gently caress, my left index controller trackpad went from sort of tracking my thumb, to perfectly tracking it, to barely detecting it at all. What the hell is causing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
E: wrong thread, sorry.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rolo posted:

So Control 100% got by me somehow but I guess I need to play it? I just watched a trailer and it looks rad as hell.

Control 100% loving owns and is probably my game of the year but also it doesn't have a vr portion I don't think

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Haha you got me before my ninja edit, thought this was the steam thread.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Tip posted:

They announced this three weeks ago, how did they not already have something ready to show?

Someone at Valve loves jerking off to the tears of gamers, and somehow didn't get their fill from announcing the next Half Life game as a VR exclusive.

loving with gamers is praxis.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Played so much Boneworks over the past two days that I'm sore as hell. It's a bunch of fun and works fine on WMR!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Don't suppose anyone's checked into that game that got announced at the Game Awards? Seems like a beat-em-up inspired by arcade games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

Don't suppose anyone's checked into that game that got announced at the Game Awards? Seems like a beat-em-up inspired by arcade games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulDN5pwl47U

Its apparently out now?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

At first glance it looked like they ripped off Drunkn Bar Fight when I saw it run live.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

At first glance it looked like they ripped off Drunkn Bar Fight when I saw it run live.

Yeah that is exactly what it looks like. To a T.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm intrigued. Twisted Pixel hasn't been 100% with their games but they do tend to go in some interesting directions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm also getting some Gorn vibes... I'll probably pick it up. How much is it?

$20? Hmmm lemme watch some videos...

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

It looks pretty cool but it's only 2 hours long and it doesn't have multiplayer yet. Kinda ridiculous to make a Streets of Rage knockoff and launch without coop.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hey question for Index owners,

you have any issues with the thumbsticks in Steam VR Home?

I look at the controller configuration and it looks perfect. Everywhere I move my thumbsticks, I see it tracking perfectly. 100% perfectly.

But in Steam VR Home, the right thumbstick only turns me, most of the time it won't teleport. Then when it will teleport (rarely, randomly) it does so INSTANTLY, its not like you push and aim and then let go to teleport, it just pops me right to wherever I'm pointing. Sometimes several times in a row.

The left stick works 95% of the time. But then 5% of the time it'll do that "instant teleport" thing.

What is going on? :( I don't think its the controllers... how is Steam VR this hosed? I checked the bindings and they're symmetrical between the two controllers...

https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-thumbstick-workaround/

quote:

The face of the controllers features two buttons, a small trackpad, and a thumbstick. While the thumbstick can be clicked when centered, when deflected at certain angles it cannot. On the Valve Index subreddit, users have reported that Valve do not consider this a defect. This software update indicates the company intends to work around the issue with software.

The Workaround
Valve has updated the default Index controller input bindings such that when a thumbstick is fully deflected in any direction, it is considered to be fully clicked. This is only applied for apps which have not set their own input bindings, which means mostly games which have not yet been updated to support Index.

:what:

Eh, that still doesn't explain why one works well and the other doesn't...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 13, 2019

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Update your controllers. I had the same issue when I first got my Index and that did the job.

e; it would be weird if you hadn't already updated them, but from the SteamVR window click three bars -> Devices -> Update Device -> see if there are updates available.

treat fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 13, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I've already checked that, they're as up to date as can be :smith:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Try calibrating the thumbsticks too? I can't remember if that was what fixed it, or if it was updating, or something else. I do know that it just suddenly started working. If that doesn't work, just do everything else I probably did.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I dunno, the quote says valve doesn't consider it a defect but there's tons of RMA posts on the index subreddit. Is that the clicking issue I keep hearing about?

Unless it has something to do with weird mapping, I remember my joystick would always count a clicking input in Serious Sam when I moved it all the way, but that's cause it wasn't mapped properly for index controllers

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HolyKrap posted:

I dunno, the quote says valve doesn't consider it a defect but there's tons of RMA posts on the index subreddit. Is that the clicking issue I keep hearing about?

Unless it has something to do with weird mapping, I remember my joystick would always count a clicking input in Serious Sam when I moved it all the way, but that's cause it wasn't mapped properly for index controllers
Some Index sticks don't register stick clicks at the far edge, and some register the button press but don't feel like they click in. I think they finally admitted the first one is a defect, but they say the second one is by design, but I don't think they refuse if you do an RMA.

Someone itt said that Steam started mapping Index sticks to autoclick when you push them to the edge but idk, mine isn't mapped that way. Its definitely something you can do in the steam input stuff though so check if that's on or not

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also Brandon from SLZ posted something about mid level saves

quote:

Mid-level Checkpoint Saves
We've heard your feedback about mid-level saves loud and clear, and we couldn't agree more. Let's talk about it.

First, a bit of history.
Those who followed the development of the game may remember that we were very hesitant to make a statement about its length. To much disbelief, we often stated that we didn't know how long it was. We weren't lying; internally, we thought that the game was about 4 hours long. In reality it seems to be 8-12 hours for first-timers. We thought Streets was about 30 minutes; it's clearly 70-90 minutes on your first run. Most of the secrets and collectibles were propagated to the levels in the past few weeks, ballooning playtime dramatically from when play-testers weren't looting and exploring as much. We felt that 30 minutes in between saves at most was reasonable; 90 minutes certainly isn't.
They say saves that just checkpoint your personal inventory and not physics objects will come in January

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In other news I finally re-installed ReVIVE and tried out Echo Arena, and it is indeed very much the poo poo.

Feels a little funny but throwing yourself around the room using your arms in zero-g like ender's game is pretty loving compelling.

homeless snail posted:

Someone itt said that Steam started mapping Index sticks to autoclick when you push them to the edge but idk, mine isn't mapped that way. Its definitely something you can do in the steam input stuff though so check if that's on or not

Do you know where this is? I looked for it but I can't find it. It feels like this is the problem maybe but I can't figure out how to turn it off.

The click isn't the issue for me, mine seem to click fine but I have never even used click for anything in any game ever so I don't know why you'd even care.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 13, 2019

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

HolyKrap posted:

I should have mentioned that I don't think that quote is related to his problem at all. From what I understand, a "click" is physically pressing the thumbstick in, and some early Index controllers are unable to be pushed in when tilted to the edge of it's range in any direction (or at all). My controllers don't have this issue, and the teleporting bug in SteamVR Home doesn't seem to me to be related to this at all. Like I said, I had the exact same teleporting issue, also with my right controller and not the left.

It seems like some sort of binding issue where the thumbstick is rapidly taking input and returning to its base state, so even while you hold the thumbstick forward it reads as "stick pushed forward" for a split second and then "thumb stick at rest state" immediately after. That would cause you to teleport instantly if aiming somewhere at the ground you could teleport to, or fail to bring up the teleport prompt at all if aiming anywhere else.

It's not an RMA level thing. Recalibrating the thumbsticks, toggling some settings, or even just rebooting the PC might fix it. Probably. I think.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

treat posted:

Like I said, I had the exact same teleporting issue, also with my right controller and not the left.

This is so weird!

treat posted:

It seems like some sort of binding issue where the thumbstick is rapidly taking input and returning to its base state, so even while you hold the thumbstick forward it reads as "stick pushed forward" for a split second and then "thumb stick at rest state" immediately after. That would cause you to teleport instantly if aiming somewhere at the ground you could teleport to, or fail to bring up the teleport prompt at all if aiming anywhere else.

It's not an RMA level thing. Recalibrating the thumbsticks, toggling some settings, or even just rebooting the PC might fix it. Probably. I think.

Yeah that's exactly it, it seems like the inputs are being read too fast or resetting or something so it keeps thinking you're constantly letting go of the stick and pushing it back, instead of holding it. When I look at the controller in the inspection it shows perfect tracking, but I don't know if its like resetting for a single frame every so often or something that I can't see. It sounds like we have the exact same issue.

I don't think its an RMA thing because the tracking looks fine and games otherwise work (although games I play dont' really use the thumbstick I guess) but it is concerning and annoying as hell.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Man do I love the index's clarity, comfort and high refresh rate. poo poo is just so cash.

But drat do I miss wireless.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tip posted:

It looks pretty cool but it's only 2 hours long and it doesn't have multiplayer yet. Kinda ridiculous to make a Streets of Rage knockoff and launch without coop.

In Reddit they say "Cross platform coop coming soon in a free update."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you fuckers ready to finish the fight

https://twitter.com/nibre_/status/1205097012472926208

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Guessing that's not gonna work on the game pass version

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

If you beat Bonework's story mode and want to finish your collection of things for the sandbox mode, people have been compiling a list here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pTyZ6giaHX9EKMbPJuCmV6rbDtw9NdHSzvHxd3rMOYA/edit#heading=h.mpodcmjekbhn

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
One of my favourite games on VR so far has been I Expect You to Die...are there any more puzzle games that are somewhat similar to that on Quest? Something like old time "adventure games" ala Mist or even Zero Escape would probably be awesome with VR interaction.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Man the back half of Lone Echo is hot garbage, to the point where it's actually souring me on all the fun I had before and making me wish I hadn't bought this piece of poo poo.

Didn't realize it was gonna be a "crawl through confusing death tunnels forever for reasons that don't make any damned sense" simulator.

I have no idea what I'm even supposed to be doing right now, there's only one death tunnel and it seems to lead to a dead end. There's a hole that it looks like you can get out, but you can't, especially now that its clogged with corpses. So I guess this is where it ends for me, unless someone has some advice and can make some vague reassurances that it gets good and fun again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GlyphGryph posted:

Man the back half of Lone Echo is hot garbage, to the point where it's actually souring me on all the fun I had before and making me wish I hadn't bought this piece of poo poo.

Didn't realize it was gonna be a "crawl through confusing death tunnels forever for reasons that don't make any damned sense" simulator.

What part of "We're hosed anyway, may as well try our luck and check out the ship that hosed up our station? doesn't make sense?

The death tunnels suck rear end though, there's no denying that. The first act of Lone Echo is waaaaay better than the second.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What part of "We're hosed anyway, may as well try our luck and check out the ship that hosed up our station? doesn't make sense?

The death tunnels suck rear end though, there's no denying that. The first act of Lone Echo is waaaaay better than the second.

The fact that Liz supposedly survived these highly irradiated zones and death tunnels with ease, which is the whole reason we're exploring the ship. Also the existence of the death tunnels at all. All of this seems dumb.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 13, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the death tunnels, they were spooky and just confusing enough that I got turned around a couple times without ever totally losing my bearings. As with all things VR though atmosphere can matter. I was playing in just underwear with air conditioning on full blast and it just felt so cold and alien and spooky. Loved that entire game.

For what it's worth it's worth persevering in my opinion, you're close to the end and the finale is fantastic.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The Walrus posted:

I liked the death tunnels, they were spooky and just confusing enough that I got turned around a couple times without ever totally losing my bearings. As with all things VR though atmosphere can matter. I was playing in just underwear with air conditioning on full blast and it just felt so cold and alien and spooky. Loved that entire game.

For what it's worth it's worth persevering in my opinion, you're close to the end and the finale is fantastic.

I literally cannot figure out what it wants me to do next.

There's a tunnel with sort of a pipe running through the center, explodey bullshit everywhere, and then as far as I can tell the "exit" is a tiny little hole it's impossible to fit through.

It's shortly after The computer sent me to find the survivors.

Edit: Watched a video and I definitely have to go through this tiny rear end death hole, gently caress. I'm just gonna watch the end on youtube, there's like an hour of videos after this point and its not worth it to go through another hour of this.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 13, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

I literally cannot figure out what it wants me to do next.

There's a tunnel with sort of a pipe running through the center, explodey bullshit everywhere, and then as far as I can tell the "exit" is a tiny little hole it's impossible to fit through.

It's shortly after The computer sent me to find the survivors.

Edit: Watched a video and I definitely have to go through this tiny rear end death hole, gently caress. I'm just gonna watch the end on youtube, there's like an hour of videos after this point and its not worth it to go through another hour of this.

The death tunnel stuff is relatively brief, there's only one area that's not just a straight line. The rest is exploring the non-overgrown (or at least less overgrown) portions of the ship.

The ending is the kind of thing that will be pretty ineffective to watch but was very cool to experience. But :shrug: if you really hate it don't continue.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

The death tunnel stuff is relatively brief, ...

I personally loved the atmosphere so much that I pushed on while a bit annoyed in the same spot. It doesn't last too long, while I agree the back half sucks compared to the first I think it's worth trying to finish esp. since there is a sequel coming out.

Also keep in mind you can just stop (you have a brake) and take your time, you can also just use thrusters instead of having to push off.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
How well does streaming pcvr games to Quest through Virtual Desktop (sideloaded) work? I got VD from the Oculus store yesterday, and somehow the visual quality looked better to me compared to the Quest Link, desktop version? Can you play most games wirelessly, or is the latency too much?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

That Italian Guy posted:

How well does streaming pcvr games to Quest through Virtual Desktop (sideloaded) work? I got VD from the Oculus store yesterday, and somehow the visual quality looked better to me compared to the Quest Link, desktop version? Can you play most games wirelessly, or is the latency too much?

Pretty good. I'd probably opt that route myself over the wire.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I originally doubted Boneworks previous to release pretty heavily due to how janky and undesirable full physics games have ended up being PLUS the fact that SL0s hype level gets way to high for something that is ultimately a wet fart.
I don’t know if my lower expectations is a factor here but I am loving in love with Boneworks.
I like that I can solve a particular BoneBox climbing challenge in like 15 different ways because the full physics removes a lot of artificial gamification constraints of “there is literally only one way to do this” by the hard and fast rules of the game engine.
Last night I did an overly complex solution involving a medium box, a drum, and a really long board that you can climb.
I put the box on the ground, a heavy drum behind it for balance, and then put the board on the box and leaned it up against the wall to get more height to get to an area I thought I otherwise couldn’t.
It wasn’t easy and there were a lot of failures but it ultimately worked because of what it allows.
This is the VR formula that narrative single player games need to follow and a real watershed moment that is not too dissimilar to something like Portal releasing for the desktop. While Portal was all about new gameplay style spin on FPS, Boneworks is like portal for your arms.
The combat and poo poo is mostly in there for flavor and to build some tension, it’s good but I almost could care less because the rest of the game is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

I originally doubted Boneworks previous to release pretty heavily due to how janky and undesirable full physics games have ended up being PLUS the fact that SL0s hype level gets way to high for something that is ultimately a wet fart.
I don’t know if my lower expectations is a factor here but I am loving in love with Boneworks.
I like that I can solve a particular BoneBox climbing challenge in like 15 different ways because the full physics removes a lot of artificial gamification constraints of “there is literally only one way to do this” by the hard and fast rules of the game engine.
Last night I did an overly complex solution involving a medium box, a drum, and a really long board that you can climb.
I put the box on the ground, a heavy drum behind it for balance, and then put the board on the box and leaned it up against the wall to get more height to get to an area I thought I otherwise couldn’t.
It wasn’t easy and there were a lot of failures but it ultimately worked because of what it allows.
This is the VR formula that narrative single player games need to follow and a real watershed moment that is not too dissimilar to something like Portal releasing for the desktop. While Portal was all about new gameplay style spin on FPS, Boneworks is like portal for your arms.
The combat and poo poo is mostly in there for flavor and to build some tension, it’s good but I almost could care less because the rest of the game is great.

Bro. Boneworks is loving amazing.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/520782638

I've had more fun just trying to get through things, and goof about than ive had in anything in a long time. Similar last night, I stacked some boxes, and cheesed my way up them, to get to a platform that I was supposed to I guess make a thing go back up? IDK, The fact I don't know how it was intended to be done is fantastic. The freedom is insane.

Which is great, Because Beat Saber 360 is wack and I'm gonna need something to play. XD