Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

`Nemesis posted:

It is very literally not an emergency brake. It is neither designed for or intended to be used in an emergency and would almost always be the worst choice you could make if faced with brake failure.

Many modern cars eliminate the pedal or hand pull entirely, and electrically activate the parking brake automatically when you park now.

It's an emergency brake (or in some cases used to be) in the sense that it is an independent braking system that doesn't depend on the engine.

Some European (maybe all, maybe elsewhere too) require two independent braking systems each working on at least two wheels, where at least one system is purely mechanical, and the parking brake serves as the secondary system, and has to be able to bring the car to a halt. (Some?) modern cars have two independent braking systems built into the regular brake.

So it very literally is an emergency brake even though its primary purpose is for parking.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leave the car in gear to park. Use the emergency break for emergencies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ilmucche posted:

Big thing now seems to be no more lever anyway. It's a button or foot operated for the parking brake.

Foot-operated levers for the parking brake are about 100 years old. Having a center-console lever is a thing that only started to happen once bucket seats became a thing. Gear shifts used to be on the steering column, too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

...ok?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
:rolleyes: everyone knows if you need emergency braking just downshift and let the engine handle it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
At least in the US it hasn't been called an "ebrake" or "emergency brake" for decades.

The Parking Brake isn't typically strong enough to do much in a real emergency. They were called emergency brakes when the primary breaking system was more prone to failure but modern brakes have built-in redundancies already.

I mean I might still use it in an emergency I suppose. Biggest use I've seen for them while driving is slowing yourself down for a speed trap without your brake lights coming on

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mozi posted:

:rolleyes: everyone knows if you need emergency braking just downshift and let the engine handle it

I mean sort of?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Last time I used a hand brake for anything but parking was snow donuts.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The Bloop posted:

...slowing yourself down for a speed trap without your brake lights coming on

The last time I checked my break-lights still come on when I crank the e-brake. Might just be a peculiarity of the make/model though, since I've never thought to check any of my previous vehicles.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

We're living in the future and should all be using lithobraking to stop our vehicles.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i wish someone would pull the emergency brake on this derail!!!

cnut
May 3, 2016

I brake with my feet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

cnut posted:

I brake with my feet.

Yabba dabba don't do that

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Stop being AI nerds and get back to being regular nerds.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lodin posted:

Stop being AI nerds and get back to being regular nerds.

What's this?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gamergate2

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i think thats "hideo jojima" who is the star of the metal gear video games and is famous for hiding

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Some turbonerd being salty his epic amazon prime simulator game of drinking monster energy drinks and delivering packages lost to a game where people actually do stuff like fight and whatnot.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Baby boomers are more sensitive than millennials, according to the largest-ever study on narcissism

Explains some things

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Some turbonerd being salty his epic amazon prime simulator game of drinking monster energy drinks and delivering packages lost to a game where people actually do stuff like fight and whatnot.

He won Best Direction so w/e. Kojima can whine, Death Stranding is still something that was globally recognized and became a phenomena.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/9BUaEc6.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/x2p60Pp.mp4

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kojima's just naturally a bit dour until brought within ten feet of a TV star.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Put him in the same building as a movie star and he's positively radiant.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am shocked the awards committee did not recognize the genius of a game about pooping and making grenades out of your poop and throwing poop grenades at enemies.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

I can envision them calling this bullshit just like everything else that they dislike or want to deny.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I love seeing them get well enough to be released back into the wild

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MarcusSA posted:

Yes.

In the instance where your breaks fail and you are about to hit something like 99% of the population would not be able to pull anything like that off.

Sounds like 99 percent of the population needs to pay attention to where things are in their car, maybe even have more stringent driver's ed training :shrug:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Sounds like 99 percent of the population needs to pay attention to where things are in their car, maybe even have more stringent driver's ed training :shrug:

Again, the emergency brake locks your tires. Even if you were to activate it as soon as you realize your regular brakes have failed (and assuming your brake is a lever rather than a button or automatic setting), you're just going to skid out of control into the obstacle. You're literally suggesting we train everyone to become a professional stunt driver.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Why argue when we know she crashed because of her phone and not brake failure?

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009

Should have put on his emergency brake.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Look, I'm not going to argue about who won what, but this is a really reductive take on Death Stranding and also emphasizes the idea that a good game *has* to be about fighting or conflict. One of the best things about DS is that you can go hours without getting into a fight, that the rewards for fighting are minimal, and the narrative is structured to encourage you to seek out non-lethal options when conflict appears inevitable. Sekiro was also great, but just because it has cool stealth kill moves and loving sick parries doesn't inherently make it a better game.

Unless you were being sarcastic, I can't tell anymore.

Anyway watch this professional gamer worth hundreds of millions of US dollars demonstrate his very complete mastery of slicing bread, avocados, and oranges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h36wfqcg9A

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Look, I'm not going to argue about who won what, but this is a really reductive take on Death Stranding and also emphasizes the idea that a good game *has* to be about fighting or conflict. One of the best things about DS is that you can go hours without getting into a fight, that the rewards for fighting are minimal, and the narrative is structured to encourage you to seek out non-lethal options when conflict appears inevitable. Sekiro was also great, but just because it has cool stealth kill moves and loving sick parries doesn't inherently make it a better game.

Unless you were being sarcastic, I can't tell anymore.

Anyway watch this professional gamer worth hundreds of millions of US dollars demonstrate his very complete mastery of slicing bread, avocados, and oranges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h36wfqcg9A
The schade is all the people who think that he isn't just playing it up in an effort to get more views, so that he'll grow that way as an influenser.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Epicurious does a series like that where they take random people and ask them to do a culinary task that isn't immediately obvious, like cracking open a coconut or making a Martini without instruction. The results tend to vary from "messy" to "dangerous."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwbpJDt2-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GexnUyuc4ps

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I have successfully used the parking brake to keep me out of an accident in an emergency

Was pulling in to park parallel at like 1-2mph and brake line disconnected from the pedal, parking brake kept me from gently dinging another car. I might have been able to set it in neutral and stuck my feet through the rusted out footwell and legitimately flintstoned it too. E-brake is poor nomenclature

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

LawfulWaffle posted:

These posts are more embarrassing than that picture.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

E-brake is poor nomenclature

Should be the Professional Driver Handle

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/foxfeather/status/1205543793904291842

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s summer in Australia though 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I had a 1984 LeBaron that I'd inherited from my grandfather - which was solid as a loving rock and has under 10k miles on it when I got it in the late 90's.

Anyway one winter I started having issues with the throttle. Basically, the gas pedal would stick in the winter and I'd need to warm the car up for a long while before going anywhere. This was fine when I had time but one morning I was in a hurry, and started driving before the throttle was all the way thawed out. I stomped on the gas in an effort to get moving.

Well that was a terrible idea. Suddenly the throttle is stuck all the way open and my car is accelerating down my street towards a house at a surprisingly breakneck pace for a 1984 LeBaron. I try the brake but it's fighting hard and the gas is stronger than the brakes and still moving forward.

So I threw the car in neutral, it immediately redlined, and I turned the gas off without making GBS threads myself.

Not once during that entire process did I consider the emergency brake.