Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

So it makes me sad when a guy like Jon from Many a True Nerd, arguably one of the most knowledgeable Fallout LPers out there for the sheer number of series he's done, can only muster up a half reasoned response to Hbomb when you'd think he'd have some crazy insight because he'd played the game down to the code.

Someone made a video defending Fallout 3? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Let's celebrate 1000 pages of this terrible thread :one:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

They're your bog standard stupidpol dipshit who spends most of their time whining about identity politics and going after other leftists for being "cringe." Basically a dime-a-dozen dirtbag lefty who really wants to be nick mullen or @viperwave but isn't actually funny enough to pull it off. I found out about them after they tried to own Alice Avizandium in some argument on twitter and basically immediately resorted to deadnaming her and making fun of her religion once they failed to actually make a point.

I found that tweet because it was retweeted by @viperwave.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was a starting point but it was really around the time HBomb's fallout review exploded that the trend really took off. RLM might have been one of the first (along with Rob Ager's video essays) but the few Plinkett imitators around the 2009-2012 period didn't really find traction. Nowadays you have dozens of new people flooding the video essay format and a lot of them follow the Hbomb type of video. Hell, didn't Hbomb or Shaun have a video talking about other YouTubers plagiarizing longform videos because they were even lazier than just copying the format?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDtJ7bte_zg

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
When did OSW Review start ? Because they've been doing long reviews from their beginning.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ArfJason posted:

I always saw long review as something popularized by the plinket video but w/e

Yeah that feels right, like you’d get lots of headlines about ‘the review that’s longer than the movie’. Might not have been the first, but popularized for sure.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Bad Wolf posted:

When did OSW Review start ? Because they've been doing long reviews from their beginning.

May 2011 according to their site, although I think I'd class what they do more as highly informative recaps (or indeed video podcasts)

And yeah, Plinkett was before everyone else but also kinda on its own. I dunno if I'd say that there was a whole load of nothing between then and Hbomb mind, he didn't release that Fallout 3 vid until 2016. There'd definitely been a fair bit of other fiddling about with longform to certain degrees (including yours truly, although a lot of mine ended up broken into multiple parts)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The reason I say that Hbomb popularized the format has a lot to do with people cribbing his title style of "X product is good/bad: here's why."

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

sure hbomb’s fallout 3 video was not the first feature length media analysis video but it definitely kicked off a trend

I dunno it’s kinda like trying to argue wether or not the nostalgia critic kicked off a style of internet review or not

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

RLM created the format but I think mike felt like he had to include lots of poo poo like the skits to justify the runtime. also 'watching a 90 minute video about star wars' was definitely part of the novelty in the first place. the hbomb videos were like the point where everyone admitted to themselves that its ok to watch someone talk about nerd stuff for three hours without it being a big joke

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So any of you other internet critic scumfucks want to confess your sins while you're here? Or should I just assume everyone who came into contact with CA is garbage? Including the other posters in this thread.

Sinners, all of you.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

To be clear and I’m not defending him but todd was not the abuser, it’s his cohost that did the actual abuse. todd is catching flak for enabling the abuse

still a horrible thing to do but let’s stop the game of telephone before it goes out of hand

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

somekindofguy posted:

So any of you other internet critic scumfucks want to confess your sins while you're here? Or should I just assume everyone who came into contact with CA is garbage? Including the other posters in this thread.

Sinners, all of you.

Slow week for you, Keemstar?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Bad idea, but a dozen people already quoted it if you want to see what the bad idea was.

FoldableHuman fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 13, 2019

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

FoldableHuman posted:

That tweet is so great because even if you know the truth you can't say anything, because even lightly disagreeing makes it look like you're talking over (or even gaslighting) a disabled queer black woman, no matter how vindictive she's being in private.

brb gotta go post itt https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906550

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

There comes a time in every man's life when they should not post

edit: Seriously Dan, this is a BAD idea.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 13, 2019

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

That tweet is so great because even if you know the truth you can't say anything, because even lightly disagreeing makes it look like you're talking over (or even gaslighting) a disabled queer black woman, no matter how vindictive she's being in private.

:wow:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

FoldableHuman posted:

god, this is so needlessly smug

edit: seriously, I don't know what else say. Just an incredibly revealing post.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Yeah... Good thing the weekend is starting and I don't read SA on the weekends. I look forward to the smoking crater that was this thread when I get back.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Another thousand pages of trash. Worse trash than the last thousand pages.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

please reconsider this post

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

There comes a time in every man's life when they should not post

edit: Seriously Dan, this is a BAD idea.

You're right, it is a bad idea. I know it's a bad idea. It's such a spectacular, stupendously bad idea that the only correct answer is to literally say nothing in public ever and just pray it doesn't catch on like wildfire while you watch people erroneously go "oh wow, I didn't know Todd was a piece of poo poo." Even acknowledging that it exists is the single biggest bad idea I've ever had, and I've had some truly awful ideas.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

If you have something to actually say, say it. If you're already committed to looking bad here, you can at least TRY to be constructive.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
if you've got something to say then just say what you're going to say without being all "not that you'll believe me because of identity politics" about it

if you don't have something to say, then...

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

You're right, it is a bad idea. I know it's a bad idea. It's such a spectacular, stupendously bad idea that the only correct answer is to literally say nothing in public ever and just pray it doesn't catch on like wildfire while you watch people erroneously go "oh wow, I didn't know Todd was a piece of poo poo." Even acknowledging that it exists is the single biggest bad idea I've ever had, and I've had some truly awful ideas.

Well, you certainly shouldn't say something here of all places, somewhere that's eagerly watched by people who are happily looking for poo poo they can use on other people, especially when they're marginalised. And you certainly shouldn't do in the way you did, which is basically saying "she's talking a load of poo poo" while awkwardly trying not to say that even though there's nothing else that can be inferred from your post.

You can be sarcastic as hell all you want. All you've done is taken this fire and poured plutonium on it. Good job.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is true but Joseph Anderson makes the best video game reviews on youtube (even if his Odyssey one was a nightmare to listen to since he can't pronounce Mario) and he likely doesn't exist without sir harris.

Joseph Anderson should never ever be taken seriously. Guy is a giant tool who does "controversial" opinions for clicks and hangs around with a lot of right wing gaming critics.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Joseph Anderson should never ever be taken seriously. Guy is a giant tool who does "controversial" opinions for clicks and hangs around with a lot of right wing gaming critics.

Never really took it as just having an opinion for clicks since I agreed with him on games that were praised not being that good (and for the same reasons he took fault with them) but that's a bummer about his pals.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 13, 2019

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Well, you certainly shouldn't say something here of all places, somewhere that's eagerly watched by people who are happily looking for poo poo they can use on other people, especially when they're marginalised. And you certainly shouldn't do in the way you did, which is basically saying "she's talking a load of poo poo" while awkwardly trying not to say that even though there's nothing else that can be inferred from your post.

You can be sarcastic as hell all you want. All you've done is taken this fire and poured plutonium on it. Good job.

I'm not being sarcastic. You're right. It's a bad idea, I absolutely regret it.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

FoldableHuman posted:

if you have something to say in defense of Todd or about that twitter person just loving say it and let us see your point

right now you just look like one of those "im censored by the PC culture" whiners, it makes you look bad anyways AND does nothing to defend Todd

watho
Aug 2, 2013

this thread is making me see the point kaczynski was trying to make

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Never really took it as just having an opinion for clicks since I agreed with him on games that were praised not being that good (and for the same reasons he took fault with them) but that's a bummer about his pals.

The Odyssey and Breath of the Wild videos were pretty wild. And not in a good way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I obviously don't agree but thank you for sharing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My enemies are in power and all my friends are dead. Here’s to another thousand pages!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm eagerly awaiting the hbomb video about the UK election.

We're all doomed.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

RottenK posted:

if you have something to say in defense of Todd or about that twitter person just loving say it and let us see your point

right now you just look like one of those "im censored by the PC culture" whiners, it makes you look bad anyways AND does nothing to defend Todd

You're right. It makes me look like an rear end in a top hat (tbf, not untrue) and doesn't do anything to help Todd.

Todd's a good guy. Dany's good, too. You should listen to their podcast. Take those tweets with a grain of salt. I can't go into details because it's all private stuff that can't be shared without dragging in a bunch of people who would rather not be dragged in. That's probably what I should have said in the first place (barring the fact that I shouldn't have said anything), but I didn't, so here we are.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the hbomb video about the UK election.

We're all doomed.

It will just be this but with Boris at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Y-dpZ4Diw

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

You're right. It makes me look like an rear end in a top hat (tbf, not untrue) and doesn't do anything to help Todd.

Todd's a good guy. Dany's good, too. You should listen to their podcast. Take those tweets with a grain of salt. I can't go into details because it's all private stuff that can't be shared without dragging in a bunch of people who would rather not be dragged in. That's probably what I should have said in the first place (barring the fact that I shouldn't have said anything), but I didn't, so here we are.

this is a better post. Can't speak for the situation but you do have to be mindful of when you're speaking to people who have less insight into something than you do, espescially when you can't talk about things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FoldableHuman posted:

i am going to take a guess and say that said lady is mad about other stuff and had a bad falling out with todd and Danny and now she is either making poo poo up or taking stuff out of context. i dont know if i fully believe you yet but i can believe its more complex than it sounds like from the tweet.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Let’s not speculate

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

I just want to go back to the days when I wasn't angry all the time. I used to really enjoy these threads, but lately I'm just sour and defensive.

I'm legit sorry I've been such a piece of poo poo. I'm not making things better, I'm not improving the threads, I'm not helping, and I'm not even being entertaining while doing it.

This isn't a farewell post. Just, like, I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Or perhaps talk about the matter any further. Available facts have been posted, judge them on their merits, move on? Too much to ask?

Renegade Cut just announced a followup to the “Joe Biden loving sucks” video, a three episode series dunking on other terrible candidates, starting with Bloomberg. Pretty hype, myself.